Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
12640 posts
3189 upvotes
Montréal
CanadianLurker wrote: Yep! This is a story from Waterloo in 2017. Even more widespread use since then. They basically scan everything coming/going/parked as they drive around on their shift and the system tells them when there’s an issue....

Police to use automated system to scan licence plates
NEWS Oct 04, 2017 by Adam Jackson Waterloo Chronicle

https://www.waterloochronicle.ca/news-s ... ce-plates/

The vehicle, which has four cameras mounted near the light bar on the roof, can scan between 3,000 and 5,000 plates per shift. An Ontario Provincial Police-curated “hot list” is automatically uploaded and if the licence plate comes back as hot (i.e. stolen, does not have insurance or driver has a suspended licence), it will alert the officer.

The traffic officer will double-check that it is the correct vehicle, then conduct a traffic stop.
Scary stuff, that future in Minority Report is coming true too soon!
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Jan 11, 2019
5 posts
CNeufeld wrote: Get your disclosure, and go from there. Consider getting your windows tested so you know what their light transmission level is. You might want to check the exact wording of the section of the HTA is for both tickets. The “letter of the law” can make a big difference.

C
Thank you, I will be submit my request for trial tomorrow and request a disclosure... I forgot to mention that the officer told me to take it to court and they wll reduce the 2 fines.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
12342 posts
6201 upvotes
Toronto
aPencil wrote: Drove my mother’s second vehicle and was pulled over for expired plates even though the plates had a black OCT19 sticker

My theory was that my mother may have put one of the two stickers on each of the vehicle.

Officer then suggested I get everything fixed up then plead “not guilty” after I get a new sticker.

Does his suggestion mean to fight it or do an early resolution?

What are your thoughts?
very first thread at the top of the page:

ask-me-anything-about-fighting-your-tra ... tc-945928/
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10299 posts
6553 upvotes
Edmonton
juventino23 wrote: Thank you, I will be submit my request for trial tomorrow and request a disclosure... I forgot to mention that the officer told me to take it to court and they wll reduce the 2 fines.
The officer doesn’t control that. Once the ticket is given, his role is reduced to giving evidence at a trial.

C
Dec 28, 2010
476 posts
159 upvotes
Toronto
Karma2000 wrote: Great thread here.
Have a court date for Parking Penalty in Mississauga courthouse @950 Burnhamthorpe. Anyone have first hand experience for getting a reduced fine? Hows the process? Will i need to sit in the court proceedings ?
In short, went to drop a pkg at condo reception and a friendly officer hands me a ticket as I came back - doesn't want to make eye contact and just walks. 5 cars parked behind me speed away one by one ;)
Anyways, I am free on the day of trial and understand my mistake. So any hope for a quick visit and reduction in fine at Mississauga court ?
anyone ?
Nov 28, 2011
908 posts
696 upvotes
Toronto
juventino23 wrote: Good day guys, I really need some help with my situation...

I was stopping at a red light, waiting to make a left turn ( 1 lane road on each direction).... once the lights turned green the driver of the first car on the opposite direction, waived for me to go ahead and make my turn...so I did. A cop was 3 or 4 cars behind him, followed me and issued 2 tickets... improper turn and dark tint on windows (the tint is over 6 years old, and I never had a cop pull me over or warn me about it) . I am planning to go to court and fight both tickets, any advice?

This one's an interesting situation.
I'm quoting the relevant section (141, 5/6) of the HTA that pertains to your first offense
Left turn, across path of approaching vehicle
(5) No driver or operator of a vehicle in an intersection shall turn left across the path of a vehicle approaching from the opposite direction unless he or she has afforded a reasonable opportunity to the driver or operator of the approaching vehicle to avoid a collision. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (5).

Left turn, at intersection
(6) Where a driver or operator of a vehicle intends to turn to the left into an intersecting highway, he or she shall, where the highway on which he or she is driving has marked lanes for traffic, approach the intersection within the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding or, where it has no such marked lanes, by keeping immediately to the right of the centre line of the highway and he or she shall make the left turn by entering the intersection to the right of the centre line or its extension and by leaving the intersection in the left-hand lane provided for the use of traffic moving in the direction in which his or her vehicle is proceeding where the lane is marked or, where no such lane is marked, by passing immediately to the right of the centre line of the intersecting highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 141 (6).

I would argue that while making a left turn at a light controlled intersection in the absence of an advanced green light and the presence of oncoming traffic is typically unsafe, if you afforded a reasonable opportunity to the other vehicle to avoid a collision, you are not in breach of the HTA.

A reasonable person would claim that the act of being waved through implied that the oncoming vehicle has provided you priority to pass. You can then surmise reasonable opportunity to avoid a collision.

Very difficult to prove though unless you have a very high-quality dashcam in which you can observe the other driver waving you through.

I would suggest you seek disclosure from the officer. This can go either way as by technicality, the roads were not designed for you to initiate your turn prior to all oncoming vehicles passing. There might be something in the HTA about failing to yield.
Mar 18, 2019
3 posts
Thanks again for your opinions for my case! I’d like to experience the full process of trial, hopefully just once in my life. :)

Do you have any information of the Calgary Traffic Court Prosecutor office please? I want to send in my disclosure request.

Thanks!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10299 posts
6553 upvotes
Edmonton
Coolredrose wrote: Thanks again for your opinions for my case! I’d like to experience the full process of trial, hopefully just once in my life. :)

Do you have any information of the Calgary Traffic Court Prosecutor office please? I want to send in my disclosure request.

Thanks!
Have you got a trial date yet? I suspect the instructions about getting disclosure come with that. Otherwise contact your local crown prosecutor’s office.

C
Sep 16, 2017
265 posts
155 upvotes
quick question: do you know if dropped charges still show on your driver's abstract?
Mar 20, 2019
5 posts
Most of forums are old. I got speeding ticket and i plead not guilty by mail and i got a mail asking to attend the court for pre trail conference as per new rule. What should i do now? The court date is in may but i want to come to an agreement and pay what we both agree on. Hopefully not toomuch. Please hep kindly
Apr 8, 2010
61 posts
49 upvotes
G0DKING wrote: Congrats! How'd you win
Thanks! I had a small chat with the prosecutor, and indirectly admitted that I was in the wrong. I had my evidence ready to fight the ticket, but was extremely lucky that the prosecutor dismissed my trial. In other words, a free win!

There were a couple of stamps on the prosecutor's trial paper that was for my case, perhaps it's a stamp of trial dismissal? Not too sure.. but I am extremely happy.
Mar 20, 2019
6 posts
I received a parking ticket sometime in October 2018 for accidentally parking on my street overnight. I waited patiently for Town of Richmond Hill to send me a "Notice of Impending Conviction" (NIC card) in the mail. I never received it. When I went two months later to renew my plates, my $30 parking ticket grew to a $66 fine with the new defaulting fees attached to it. I called the Town and scheduled a hearing. The guy at the hearing explained that because of the $5 cost attached to sending out the NIC card, the Town no longer sends these out. This is a major issue. What if the ticket isn't on my car when I get back to it? I'll never know about the ticket, and I'll end up defaulting on it when I really didn't know about it, and never had the chance to act accordingly. This has already happened to me. There are teenagers on my street that yank tickets off cars and place them on their own cars, in hopes of the parking officers thinking their car was already tagged by another officer. When I went to renew my plates for that particular car, the fees doubled for defaulting. The point I'm trying to make is, how can I legally be convicted on a parking ticket if they aren't able to prove the parking ticket was on my vehicle when I returned to it? I've always waited for the NIC card in the mail as this has been the standard procedure for years. I explained this to the hearing officer but he wasn't having any of it. Anyone have any experience arguing this in court? The websites I've been getting my info from are
http://www.ticketcombat.com/parking/parking.php
and
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ask-me-a ... -945928/3/
Section 18, subsection 1 of the Provincial Offenses Act explicitly states "The person designated by the regulations may give the defendant a notice of impending conviction if,

(a) at least fifteen days and no more than thirty-five days have elapsed since the alleged infraction occurred;

(b) the defendant has not paid the fine; and

(c) a notice of intention to appear has not been received. 1992, c. 20, s. 1 (1); 1993, c. 31, s. 1 (10).
"
Any information that you may have will be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
1823 posts
1318 upvotes
Toronto
Got a $450 parking ticket for Parking in a disability spot. I am 100% at fault.

I was dropping off an elderly person at Costco

I don't have a disability pass, I was in the disability spot for about a minute helping them get out of my vehicle and a cop came out of nowhere, his car no where to be seen and gave me a ticket. My car still on, engine running.

I know it's my fault for going to a Disability spot but it's late, all the other disabled spots were empty, and the parking lot was full, and a massive truck was blocking the entrance of Costco so I couldn't safely let them out there.

I was going to get them out of my car and leave right away.

Going to go to court and try to get it reduced. Anyone know how much they can reduce it to?
Images
  • Screenshot_20190321-211246.png
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2004
2444 posts
767 upvotes
Call the courthouse and ask them what your options are. If they won’t let you do anything over the phone, either go down there or hire a NYS lawyer/paralegal.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10299 posts
6553 upvotes
Edmonton
BengaliPrince wrote: Got a $450 parking ticket for Parking in a disability spot. I am 100% at fault.

I was dropping off an elderly person at Costco

I don't have a disability pass, I was in the disability spot for about a minute helping them get out of my vehicle and a cop came out of nowhere, his car no where to be seen and gave me a ticket. My car still on, engine running.

I know it's my fault for going to a Disability spot but it's late, all the other disabled spots were empty, and the parking lot was full, and a massive truck was blocking the entrance of Costco so I couldn't safely let them out there.

I was going to get them out of my car and leave right away.

Going to go to court and try to get it reduced. Anyone know how much they can reduce it to?
Just because someone is “elderly” doesn’t give them the right to park or even be dropped off in a disabled spot. They can reduce it to whatever they like, but if you do get a hearing, you’d do well to bring in your elderly person as a witness and have them act frail.

C