Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5776 posts
1185 upvotes
???
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 9:39 am
You can try hiring a paralegal to work out a deal for you, but from everything you've said, you were guilty and caught cleanly. Plus you admitted it to the cop, which will likely be in his notes.

You losing your job or not being able to afford insurance isn't a factor. You MIGHT be able to get extra time to pay your fine, but it would still be a conviction, which will have the same impact on your insurance.

C
Pretty sure OP meant that he won’t be able to afford insurance to drive to a job, not because the job requires a clean abstract.
Oct 21, 2018
10 posts
HaileyS76878 wrote:
Apr 14th, 2019 5:44 pm
Hello!

Thanks a lot for this thread, it has been helpful. My spouse recieved a speeding ticket back in November and requested a trial date which is May 29. We mailed the request for disclosure on April 1st but have not heard anything back yet, should we send another request for disclosure at the end of the month?

Also, how long before trial should he request a stay? Thanks again!
Hi, my situation was just like like yours. Check post #17568 on page 1172 and #17642 on page 1177. May answer your questions.
Dec 4, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
Hi,
I got the speeding ticket $230+ from police officer near Woodstock, ON for speeding at 132km in 100km zone of highway. He says he got this on speed gun but I'm pretty sure that I was not driving that fast anyhow and there were cars in front and back of me. I want to challenge this? Can you suggest what are my options/ next steps and do have any chance with this?
Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8721 posts
5240 upvotes
Edmonton
dealhntr wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 5:28 pm
Hi,
I got the speeding ticket $230+ from police officer near Woodstock, ON for speeding at 132km in 100km zone of highway. He says he got this on speed gun but I'm pretty sure that I was not driving that fast anyhow and there were cars in front and back of me. I want to challenge this? Can you suggest what are my options/ next steps and do have any chance with this?
Thanks
Register for a trial, and request your disclosure. Same basic process as every other ticket in here. If you want help once you get your disclosure, follow up then.

As far as your chances, there’s nothing in your post to suggest a flaw that will help you. So right now, I’d put your odds at “slim”.

C
Dec 4, 2017
16 posts
1 upvote
CNeufeld wrote: Register for a trial, and request your disclosure. Same basic process as every other ticket in here. If you want help once you get your disclosure, follow up then.

As far as your chances, there’s nothing in your post to suggest a flaw that will help you. So right now, I’d put your odds at “slim”.

C
Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. Can you answer following questions?

1. Should I meet with prosecutor or go for Trial option?

2. The ticket doesn't say any demerit points. Am I getting any demerit points though with speeding?

3. What I will say in trial?

Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8721 posts
5240 upvotes
Edmonton
dealhntr wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 6:23 pm
Hi,

Thanks for quick reply. Can you answer following questions?

1. Should I meet with prosecutor or go for Trial option?

2. The ticket doesn't say any demerit points. Am I getting any demerit points though with speeding?

3. What I will say in trial?

Thanks.
1) Doesn’t matter. The pre-trial conference will let you try to work out a deal with the prosecutor before the trial, but you can do that on the day of your trial as well.

2) At 30+ over, yes, you’re getting demerits if you’re convicted. But unless you’re close to a license suspension due to multiple tickets, the demerits are pretty meaningless. Any conviction for speeding will likely have a similar insurance impact, until you get up to 50+ over.

3). Until you have disclosure, there’s no point in thinking about what to say in trial. Keep in mind that unless you find a flaw in the evidence, you will almost certainly getting a conviction, assuming the officer shows up (which he’s paid to do). Even if there is a flaw, you’ll be arguing against a system that is heavily weighted against you. The prosecution proves their case by basically having the officer testify he saw you at location XXX doing a speed of YYY. That’s all the evidence they typically need. It then falls on you to discredit their expert witness. And the prosecutor and officer have been doing this day in and day out for years.

C
Mar 20, 2019
3 posts
I got a parking ticket from Town of Richmond Hill, and the 9 in 2019 was missing from the date. Check picture below. My research tells me an incorrect date can be amended, but the year is not incorrect, it’s missing. Can anyone else share some insight? Thanks.
Images
  • D3A665F8-6486-4593-99DB-55AE48FF80D0.jpeg
Aug 18, 2010
355 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Hello. I got a no Parking 12am-7am ticket on a street that has does not have that sign. Can someone tell me if I'm able to fight this?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sousa ... 79.4534746

This is the street where I got a ticket.

I got the ticket at 1am.

All the streets adjacent to it are all permit overnight, but I made sure this one didn't have it before I parked there. Is this something I can dispute online?

I have parked here lots of time, but this is the first time ever getting a ticket. (I only assumed I could, never tried to take advantage or take a chance)

A bunch of other cars on the street got tickets also.

Thanks and have a nice day.
Apr 18, 2019
2 posts
My wife just got her first violation ticket for simply placing her phone on the cup holder screen locked and facing down as she (and I) usually do. The police officer acknowledge that she wasn't even using her phone but wrote a ticket for "using an electronic device" and told her to go ahead and dispute it. She has the "N" /Novice class and has never bothered to get a class 5 for more than 10 years now. The officer questioned why she hasn't taken her class 5.

We are definitely going to dispute it and I'm just wondering what is the best way to do this.

This is in British Columbia BTW.

Thanks!
Mar 20, 2019
5 posts
Hi, I am resident of Ontario Canada. I received a ticket while speeding 90 in 65 zone in march 1st week near to court land ville, new york highway. I plead "not guilty" and sent my clean driver's abstract for last 5 years to court. I got return mail asking to appear in court in month of may to prove the charges along with address & phone number of attorney office to send documents via mail to if wish to have trail by mail. So i have sent abstract, letter of explanation via speed mail asking to kindly consider ticket as non-moving violation based on my record.

"Today i got mail (RECOMMENDED VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC DISPOSITION) stating that after considering my letter my speeding was reduced from 90 in 65 zone to 73 in 65 zone based on my driving record with amending 6 points violation to 3 points which is equal to 0 points in ONTARIO CANADA. On the back side of that letter, it says to plead guilty and accept the offer above if wish to avoid any further appearance in court and close the ticket with fine (yet to be decided).

So what are my options now to not plead guilty?? As i am 6 hours far from court, i cannot come in person. Kindly suggest please.
Apr 13, 2019
3 posts
joshmxpx wrote:
Apr 15th, 2019 12:39 am
If those existed (which they do not), they would be considered third party disclosure, which is not required to be given out. Third party records do not fall under R vs Stinchcombe and require an O'Conner application.

OPP follow HTA requirements, and the only sections in their orders would refer to their own personal use of cell phones while driving...
These do exist but if it becomes important I will submit a FOI request.

To quote the OPP "The matrix of legislation and policy documents afford the front-line Ontario police officers both structure and flexibility to provide community-appropriate law enforcement."

Police Orders
- Official source of policy for the OPP that supports the OPP’s values, vision, mission and goals, and reflects provincial core policing functions identified in the Adequacy Standards.
- Police Orders is an ever-evolving document and is developed and maintained by Operational Research and Development Bureau.
- Employees are expected to comply with Police Orders, although they are expected to use judgment and discretion consistent with ensuring public/member safety.
- Generally Police Orders articulates organizational decisions of the Commissioner. In some instances Police Orders states or links to legislative/regulatory requirements to ensure employees are aware of their obligation to comply with such provisions.
- Police Orders also serves as conduit to other sources of information/resources deemed suitable/approved for use by the OPP.

Standard Operating Procedures/Manuals
- Standards Operating Procedural Manuals are program/activity-based procedures used to operationalize policy requirements. They may or may not be part of Police Orders.
- Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Manuals housed within Police Orders are based on OPP-wide programs. They build on the foundation of policy by outlining approved methods of achieving required/desired outcomes with respect to operations, conduct or business processes.
- Compliance is expected similar to any other Police Order, recognizing the need for sound judgement and discretion in the interests of public/member safety.

Protocols
- Protocols may exist at any level within the organization. Some are driven by policy (e.g., Child Abuse and Neglect, Domestic Violence, Youth Crime) while others are developed by program area leads to maximize efficiency of business practices/activities.
- Organizational policies respecting protocols are topic oriented. Such policies indicate a specific requirement and responsibility to develop a protocol (e.g., Child Abuse and Neglect, Sexual Assault Investigation, Mutual Assistance Protocols with other Police Services) usually with specific stakeholders and generally setting out a framework of issues to be addressed.
- Compliance with Protocols is expected, although not binding.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8721 posts
5240 upvotes
Edmonton
bhara2009 wrote:
Apr 20th, 2019 9:09 pm
Hi, I am resident of Ontario Canada. I received a ticket while speeding 90 in 65 zone in march 1st week near to court land ville, new york highway. I plead "not guilty" and sent my clean driver's abstract for last 5 years to court. I got return mail asking to appear in court in month of may to prove the charges along with address & phone number of attorney office to send documents via mail to if wish to have trail by mail. So i have sent abstract, letter of explanation via speed mail asking to kindly consider ticket as non-moving violation based on my record.

"Today i got mail (RECOMMENDED VEHICLE AND TRAFFIC DISPOSITION) stating that after considering my letter my speeding was reduced from 90 in 65 zone to 73 in 65 zone based on my driving record with amending 6 points violation to 3 points which is equal to 0 points in ONTARIO CANADA. On the back side of that letter, it says to plead guilty and accept the offer above if wish to avoid any further appearance in court and close the ticket with fine (yet to be decided).

So what are my options now to not plead guilty?? As i am 6 hours far from court, i cannot come in person. Kindly suggest please.
My advise would be to pay the ticket and call it done. Your other option is to hire someone to represent you, but I think you’d likely end up with the same outcome. Or you could let it default to a conviction for 90 in a 65 zone and hope it doesn’t impact you in the future, but that seems like a bad bet to me.

C
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8721 posts
5240 upvotes
Edmonton
canknock wrote:
Apr 19th, 2019 11:40 pm
My wife just got her first violation ticket for simply placing her phone on the cup holder screen locked and facing down as she (and I) usually do. The police officer acknowledge that she wasn't even using her phone but wrote a ticket for "using an electronic device" and told her to go ahead and dispute it. She has the "N" /Novice class and has never bothered to get a class 5 for more than 10 years now. The officer questioned why she hasn't taken her class 5.

We are definitely going to dispute it and I'm just wondering what is the best way to do this.

This is in British Columbia BTW.

Thanks!
File for a trial and request disclosure. See what the officer’s note describe. Go from there.

C
Mar 20, 2019
5 posts
Sure. I am thinking the same, but i read on a website that once i plead guilty i would apprximately pay 245 USD (fine+court fee)-it would stay on my driving record for 3 years & insurance would go up by 30%. Learnt from my mistake but in a hard way.

Thanks for your time.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)