Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1170 posts
1016 upvotes
tew wrote: They won't dismiss the ticket but they may reduce the charge and fine to a lower amount for a guilty plea.
Is there any point in fighting a ticket that was reduced from 135 to 115? At that point, the goal is to toss out the ticket, right?
Sep 29, 2007
747 posts
345 upvotes
Ontario
blues45 wrote: Hello everyone,

I have a speeding ticket in York Region, I just got the court date.
April 8th, fairly soon.
93 in a 60 zone.
I just sent request for disclosure.

What is my end goal here? I get demerit points gone, lower the fee, or somehow not have the ticket on my record for insurance purposes?

I have no previous offense on record since probably 2002 or something.
If disclosure comes <7 days from court date, request adjournment. Then go from there.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11765 upvotes
GTA
1theguy1 wrote: Is there any point in fighting a ticket that was reduced from 135 to 115? At that point, the goal is to toss out the ticket, right?
They won't reduce the fine if it's already been reduced . Your only hope to get it tossed out is on a technicality (slim chance) or an 18+ month delay. The back log seems to be clearing up so I don't know how likely a long delay is for cases filed today.
Nov 25, 2022
8 posts
6 upvotes
nyconn wrote: Caught doing 129 in a 100 zone, wrong municipality on the ticket, fine of $138.75 and 3 points. Should I fight it in trial or opt for early resolution? Advice needed.
Follow up: Does it make sense to request early resolution, or should you go straight to a trial?
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2660 posts
670 upvotes
GTA
Millstone wrote: If disclosure comes <7 days from court date, request adjournment. Then go from there.
Thanks, just waiting for disclosure at the momment.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $8758.00
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2005
2660 posts
670 upvotes
GTA
blues45 wrote: Hello everyone,

I have a speeding ticket in York Region, I just got the court date.
April 8th, fairly soon.
93 in a 60 zone.
I just sent request for disclosure.

What is my end goal here? I get demerit points gone, lower the fee, or somehow not have the ticket on my record for insurance purposes?

I have no previous offense on record since probably 2002 or something.
Millstone wrote: If disclosure comes <7 days from court date, request adjournment. Then go from there.

I got the disclosure pretty quickly.
Anything to look out for in it? I seems in order.

April 8th court date, I guess my best chance is officer doesn't show.
Or I take a plea deal.
Damage due to RFD Since April 2013: $8758.00
Dec 3, 2012
83 posts
58 upvotes
NORTH YORK
nyconn wrote: Follow up: Does it make sense to request early resolution, or should you go straight to a trial?
You can do early resolution if you feel that you have a close to 100% chance to resolve your matter just by speaking with the prosecutor, e.g.:
  1. You have ironclad evidence of your innocence, which will convince the prosecutor to drop your case on the spot; or,
  2. You want to accept the prosecutor's plea bargain deal of reduced points and/or fine (if they offer you one)

Otherwise just go for the trial, because you will get a chance to speak with the prosecutor at the start of the trial anyway.
Aug 1, 2021
76 posts
91 upvotes
The original post is now 13 years old and many processes have changed since then. Is there a short summary written in this thread on updated process?
For Toronto this is how I think it is going on now
1. Select option 3 Request by Trial on court case lookup website for zoom video call
2. Wait for trial date. Wait time seem to be 6 to 8 months now. I couldn't find if it will be email or physical mail?
3. As soon as the trial date is set request disclosure by email
4. Go through disclosure, prepare defence and wait for trial date via zoom video call
5. Proceedings are supposed to be same as in person. I am confused how arriving 15 min early to talk to the prosecutor for a reduced charge will take place here? (Unless you select option 2 and get a zoom call with the prosecutor)
Mar 19, 2024
1 posts
Hello, I have been issued a ticket after turning at a yellow light in Montreal, that got red before I could complete the turn. It's about $140 and 3 points.

The ticket says that I have failed to stop before the line at a red light, which is not even true.

Since I still have a year left for my 4 point probatory license, it is within my interest to contest this and buy myself as much time as possible.

- I have 30 days to plead not guilty. Should I use up this period, or it won't affect my court date?
- Does anyone know what's the waiting time for Montreal courts lately?
Dec 3, 2012
83 posts
58 upvotes
NORTH YORK
tendyman wrote: The original post is now 13 years old and many processes have changed since then. Is there a short summary written in this thread on updated process?
For Toronto this is how I think it is going on now
1. Select option 3 Request by Trial on court case lookup website for zoom video call
2. Wait for trial date. Wait time seem to be 6 to 8 months now. I couldn't find if it will be email or physical mail?
3. As soon as the trial date is set request disclosure by email
4. Go through disclosure, prepare defence and wait for trial date via zoom video call
5. Proceedings are supposed to be same as in person. I am confused how arriving 15 min early to talk to the prosecutor for a reduced charge will take place here? (Unless you select option 2 and get a zoom call with the prosecutor)
2. I believe notices of trial are still sent by physical mail
5. You can try to join your trial Zoom 15 min early
Jan 21, 2009
425 posts
20 upvotes
Hi i got a tickrt recently from automatic speed camera in school zone on 40 was going 52 for $80 this is my first speed ticket... Is there way to reduce this ticket?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 13, 2010
8555 posts
11765 upvotes
GTA
Smoky1818 wrote: Hi i got a tickrt recently from automatic speed camera in school zone on 40 was going 52 for $80 this is my first speed ticket... Is there way to reduce this ticket?
Is it really worth taking time off work to go to an ERM to see if they are willing to knock a few bucks off your ticket?
Deal Addict
Sep 18, 2021
2081 posts
903 upvotes
If a driver’s license and vehicle registration expired in Alberta, would it affect insurance rates?

Is there a way to fight it?

“Until the fine plus skate payment charge are paid in full, you will not be allowed to renew your motor vehicle and/or driver’s license, and other civil collection actions may be taken against you to follow the amount owing.”

Does this mean if I plead not guilty, I can’t renew both and won’t have both for a year if I don’t get a speedy court date?
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1605 posts
691 upvotes
Calgary
pprider wrote: If a driver’s license and vehicle registration expired in Alberta, would it affect insurance rates?
Dunno
Is there a way to fight it? Were you expired? You have no real defense against that, but the crown does have to show that you were which is as simple as a certificate from the transportation office

“Until the fine plus skate payment charge are paid in full, you will not be allowed to renew your motor vehicle and/or driver’s license, and other civil collection actions may be taken against you to follow the amount owing.”

Does this mean if I plead not guilty, I can’t renew both and won’t have both for a year if I don’t get a speedy court date? No. On your tickets you will have a due date. You need to make a choice by then, if you don't make a choice, you are guilty in default and must pay the fine before you can renew. If you choose a trial, you will not owe the money until (if) found guilty, and generally then, you will be given some time to pay.

But I suggest that if you want to fight the tickets, get your license and registration in order before going to court. And if you haven't already, if you are stopped again, you can be charged again, and your vehicle can be towed.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)