Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1547 posts
579 upvotes
thesubmitter wrote: If it takes more than 18months to get to trial due to delays of the prosecutor you can get your charges dismissed. The lawyer should accept to drop the chargers otherwise you need to make a motion 30 days in advance.
No I know that; I was asking for the details of your specific situation, as in what caused the prosecutorial delays, what did you do and when, etc.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2008
1310 posts
698 upvotes
Montréal
G0DKING wrote: No I know that; I was asking for the details of your specific situation, as in what caused the prosecutorial delays, what did you do and when, etc.
Nothing, I did except - they kept scheduling and then rescheduling hearings until the final scheduled date was 22 months later and I just spoke to the prosecutor and she agreed to drop the charges and sent me an email confirmation (i'm still waiting the official notice)
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1881 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
vivmk20 wrote: I turned at yellow so I am not sure if What chances I have to win? I will definitely like to make my it zero if possible

If I take option 2 and talk to prosecutor- What approach should I take?
As far as I know, unless you have video evidence from a dashcam that you indeed turned on a yellow then I don't know how you could fight this. The prosecutor could offer you a plea deal in which case you would plea guilty to the lesser charge.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Nov 16, 2013
528 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
ds2chan wrote: As far as I know, unless you have video evidence from a dashcam that you indeed turned on a yellow then I don't know how you could fight this. The prosecutor could offer you a plea deal in which case you would plea guilty to the lesser charge.
I am not sure the process to ask for disclosure where I can see the evidence? And which Option I pick for the same?

Then I can decide if I go to prosecutor for reduction.
Jul 16, 2019
113 posts
61 upvotes
Anyone have recent experience of 'failure to provide proof of insurance' in Mississauaga. I believe this is a much lesser charge than not having insurance altogether. I got stopped and I did have ownership, DL and insurance - however the insurance had a expired date because I forgot to put the new slip in the car. The car, my name, address, etc were all the same. Cop said to go to court and they would drop it if I could show valid insurance. I did to to court and they said I had to meet a prosecutor. They would not let me meet one without an appt. I already had to go back and change the appt date because of work travel. I have a complete clean driving record.
1) Will they just drop the case if I show I had valid insurance. Do I need to provide anything besides the insurance slip ?
2) If they only offer a reduction, I am not interested. I would rather be a pest and ask to meet the judge and try there because the $60 fine is not a problem but I do not want a silly ticket.
3) Do insurance companies count a 'failure to provide proof of insurance' as a offence ? I mean they know I have insurance since its from them :-).

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 12, 2005
1365 posts
53 upvotes
I have mailed my ticket payment a month and a half ago. There still no charge on my credit card. Is there any I can check if it is process? I am worried that I did not mail via registered mail so i have no proof that sent it and if it got lost in the mail I don’t want wait till my license gets suspended and additional fine imposed. Thx
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1881 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
vivmk20 wrote: I am not sure the process to ask for disclosure where I can see the evidence? And which Option I pick for the same?

Then I can decide if I go to prosecutor for reduction.
I hope somebody can confirm what I'm saying below. I'm just going by memory.

I assume this is the same everywhere in ON at least but I remember I had to go into the building where the courtroom is. They have a room where you fill out a form and choose which option you want. I chose option 3 (I think it's 3) to go to trial. In that room, I think I had to fill out another form to say I want the disclosure. After about 1 month I got a voicemail saying the disclosure is ready. I went to the same building and up to the 2nd or 3rd floor to pick up the disclosure.

On the day of the trial, everybody that wants to talk to the prosecutor before the judge comes in lines up to talk to the prosecutor. At that time the prosecutor will offer you a lesser charge if you plead guilty (you have like 30 seconds to think it over but at this time you probably already know what you want to do anyways). You can accept or decline. If you decline, then you'll be going through the whole court process. Everybody there in front of me plead guilty and everything went through quickly which is what I believe they want.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Nov 16, 2013
528 posts
98 upvotes
Mississauga
ds2chan wrote: I hope somebody can confirm what I'm saying below. I'm just going by memory.

I assume this is the same everywhere in ON at least but I remember I had to go into the building where the courtroom is. They have a room where you fill out a form and choose which option you want. I chose option 3 (I think it's 3) to go to trial. In that room, I think I had to fill out another form to say I want the disclosure. After about 1 month I got a voicemail saying the disclosure is ready. I went to the same building and up to the 2nd or 3rd floor to pick up the disclosure.

On the day of the trial, everybody that wants to talk to the prosecutor before the judge comes in lines up to talk to the prosecutor. At that time the prosecutor will offer you a lesser charge if you plead guilty (you have like 30 seconds to think it over but at this time you probably already know what you want to do anyways). You can accept or decline. If you decline, then you'll be going through the whole court process. Everybody there in front of me plead guilty and everything went through quickly which is what I believe they want.
Thanks. Yes I would like to go through this process.

Chime in guys if the steps above are different in anyway
Jun 5, 2016
69 posts
11 upvotes
vivmk20 wrote: Thanks. Yes I would like to go through this process.

Chime in guys if the steps above are different in anyway
Almost simiar, just adding few bits if it helps anyone since this was last week.
on the day of trial, you go and first speak to the prosecutor. He/she either lowers the fine or amend the charge if you plead guilty. At this time, you can either accept it or deny to proceed to a trial. In either case, you still go and see the jp. If you had pleaded guilty, you appear before jp who confirms with you that you plead guilty and know how much fine you will be paying. At this time, you are asked if you need more time to pay the fine etc.

In my case, I had a handheld device charge and prosecutor plainly indicated its a major offence (which it is - circumstances dont matter even though it was actually a one off case for me with no prior history - even a parking ticket - wasn't using my own vehicle which has a mount and bluetooth). So, prosecutor just asked if I want to pay the fine or want to proceed to the trial. This was my first time to the court, so I didnt know what to expect and what to answer at this time and off I was sent to proceed to the trial. I had no defence anyway since I had accepted to the cop that I picked the phone even though to reject the call. - again, reasons don't matter. My only hope by then was that if I was asked in front of jp if I plead guilty and I would agree and pay the amount of fine that I was initially charged with and not add it to make it 1000 from 615.

So, I was called in front of jp and the person who usually reads out the charge told the jp that we called the cop on phone at so and so time (I believe the time when the prosecutor sent me to trial) and he was busy/didnt answer the phone and hasn't called back/dont know by when he will call back. I dont recall the exact wording given that I was nervous but on these lines.
so, jp said your charge is dismissed and I hope you will not use a handheld device again to which I nodded (suppressing my smile being lucky). I was sent, I asked again what next and was just told the case has been dismissed.

now, this happened last week. Does anyone know if I get anything in mail or email that my case was dismissed? How do I know or confirm if everything related to this offense has been closed? Any inputs are greatly appreciated.
Oct 6, 2019
1 posts
I had a ticket in montreal for 300$ because there was a sign no parking but it was really hidden between the trees i took a picture from my car
Is there any hope to drop the file ??
Jun 18, 2018
961 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
vernonco wrote: Anyone have recent experience of 'failure to provide proof of insurance' in Mississauaga. I believe this is a much lesser charge than not having insurance altogether. I got stopped and I did have ownership, DL and insurance - however the insurance had a expired date because I forgot to put the new slip in the car. The car, my name, address, etc were all the same. Cop said to go to court and they would drop it if I could show valid insurance. I did to to court and they said I had to meet a prosecutor. They would not let me meet one without an appt. I already had to go back and change the appt date because of work travel. I have a complete clean driving record.
1) Will they just drop the case if I show I had valid insurance. Do I need to provide anything besides the insurance slip ?
2) If they only offer a reduction, I am not interested. I would rather be a pest and ask to meet the judge and try there because the $60 fine is not a problem but I do not want a silly ticket.
3) Do insurance companies count a 'failure to provide proof of insurance' as a offence ? I mean they know I have insurance since its from them :-).

Thanks
- No, being insured and failure to provide proof of insurance when asked are both different offenses. If you go for early resolution and meet the prosecutor and be honest and show him valid insurance (and ensure that it has a policy effective date before the ticket), then the prosecutor has the ability to drop. However, it is under their discretion, they don't have to. Can help if you have a clean record.

- I witnessed in court today someone trying to argue against this exact ticket and the prosecutor didn't even have to say anything. The judge made it clear that there's no defense against failure to provide insurance, and she's right. You either provided it or you didn't. Usually if you got another charge alongside the failure to provide insurance, and show the prosecutor you did indeed have it, they would drop the charge if you plead guilty to the other.

- It is a minor offense. Not as bad as not having it all for sure.
Jun 18, 2018
961 posts
532 upvotes
Toronto
dealwiththedeal wrote: Almost simiar, just adding few bits if it helps anyone since this was last week.
on the day of trial, you go and first speak to the prosecutor. He/she either lowers the fine or amend the charge if you plead guilty. At this time, you can either accept it or deny to proceed to a trial. In either case, you still go and see the jp. If you had pleaded guilty, you appear before jp who confirms with you that you plead guilty and know how much fine you will be paying. At this time, you are asked if you need more time to pay the fine etc.

In my case, I had a handheld device charge and prosecutor plainly indicated its a major offence (which it is - circumstances dont matter even though it was actually a one off case for me with no prior history - even a parking ticket - wasn't using my own vehicle which has a mount and bluetooth). So, prosecutor just asked if I want to pay the fine or want to proceed to the trial. This was my first time to the court, so I didnt know what to expect and what to answer at this time and off I was sent to proceed to the trial. I had no defence anyway since I had accepted to the cop that I picked the phone even though to reject the call. - again, reasons don't matter. My only hope by then was that if I was asked in front of jp if I plead guilty and I would agree and pay the amount of fine that I was initially charged with and not add it to make it 1000 from 615.

So, I was called in front of jp and the person who usually reads out the charge told the jp that we called the cop on phone at so and so time (I believe the time when the prosecutor sent me to trial) and he was busy/didnt answer the phone and hasn't called back/dont know by when he will call back. I dont recall the exact wording given that I was nervous but on these lines.
so, jp said your charge is dismissed and I hope you will not use a handheld device again to which I nodded (suppressing my smile being lucky). I was sent, I asked again what next and was just told the case has been dismissed.

now, this happened last week. Does anyone know if I get anything in mail or email that my case was dismissed? How do I know or confirm if everything related to this offense has been closed? Any inputs are greatly appreciated.
You can look up your offense/ticket online and see if it still shows anything. I would wait a few days after the dismissal in case of any lag in their system to update. If it is still there, I would call the courthouse.
Oct 6, 2019
1 posts
Hi i have a speeding ticket that I'm about to contest because he gave me a 1200$ ticket and left the demerit point section empty...

Is this cause for dropping the ticket? Need a quick yes or no answer
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
10154 posts
6450 upvotes
Edmonton
JonathanV31840 wrote: Hi i have a speeding ticket that I'm about to contest because he gave me a 1200$ ticket and left the demerit point section empty...

Is this cause for dropping the ticket? Need a quick yes or no answer
You might want to give a location and more details, because a $1200 ticket sounds like there's more to the story...

Here's some reading to start:

https://ticketcombat.com/offences/fatal.php

Missing demerits are not on the list of fatal errors in Ontario.

C
Jul 16, 2019
113 posts
61 upvotes
Electrah wrote: 1) Will they just drop the case if I show I had valid insurance. Do I need to provide anything besides the insurance slip ?
- No, being insured and failure to provide proof of insurance when asked are both different offenses. If you go for early resolution and meet the prosecutor and be honest and show him valid insurance (and ensure that it has a policy effective date before the ticket), then the prosecutor has the ability to drop. However, it is under their discretion, they don't have to. Can help if you have a clean record.

- I witnessed in court today someone trying to argue against this exact ticket and the prosecutor didn't even have to say anything. The judge made it clear that there's no defense against failure to provide insurance, and she's right. You either provided it or you didn't. Usually if you got another charge alongside the failure to provide insurance, and show the prosecutor you did indeed have it, they would drop the charge if you plead guilty to the other.

- It is a minor offense. Not as bad as not having it all for sure.
Thanks for the response.
I did have my insurance slip with me, It was expired though I was and still am with the same carrier and the same car/VIN.
The start date of my current insurance is six months before the ticket. So the policy number, vehicle, drivers licence, everything is the same. The cop did not want to call the insurance company to verify which I understand. I did also have my driving licence and ownership and I have a clean driving record. I guess I will chalk this one as my mistake and hope for the best in court. Thanks again.