Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Oct 4, 2017
25 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks C. Probably I was just hot headed at the time because I was trying to let the car in front of me go and got scolded by the car behind me.

I was still driving when the police “issued the verbal warning”. I didn’t get pulled over at all. He just made me sound like I’m a criminal.
Aug 1, 2007
667 posts
52 upvotes
My car got into an accident and got a rental from insurance company. Mistakenly the high beams were on. I tried to explain to the cop that its a rental on day 2 and I did not know high beams were on as I did not drive previous night but he did not want to hear it. Anyone have experience with this ticket and worth fighting it? Ticket says "Fail to use lower beam - Following"
Deal Guru
Aug 6, 2001
13400 posts
1700 upvotes
Mississauga
Killer_Saves wrote:
Oct 13th, 2019 1:49 pm
My car got into an accident and got a rental from insurance company. Mistakenly the high beams were on. I tried to explain to the cop that its a rental on day 2 and I did not know high beams were on as I did not drive previous night but he did not want to hear it. Anyone have experience with this ticket and worth fighting it? Ticket says "Fail to use lower beam - Following"
Yes. Fight it. What a useless ticket to give when you must have shown your rental agreement. This is what gives cops a bad rep. Why not go after the the HID in my shitbox van crowd
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9841 posts
6197 upvotes
Edmonton
Killer_Saves wrote:
Oct 13th, 2019 1:49 pm
In your case, I'd probably register for an early appearance, if that's an option, and try to get the prosecutor to toss the charges based on your rental agreement (hold on to that). Failing that, I'd go to trial and plead not guilty, and see if you can get the JP to let you off. Or maybe the cop won't bother to show.

You are guilty of the charge though. Ignorance of the workings of your rental car isn't a valid defense. You should have oriented yourself on the workings of the car before driving, actually.

Keep in mind that pleading guilty with an explanation is still pleading guilty, and the JP is limited in what they can do, even if they sympathize with you. And also keep in mind that one conviction is much like any other when it comes to insurance, so negotiating a deal isn't going to give you much relief.

C
Nov 19, 2018
1 posts
I got a trespassing ticket last Monday at Union Station. I was about the pay the ticket today and noticed the ticket had the year and month filled out, but no date. Is this a fatal error and how do I go about getting this ticket dropped if so? Thanks for the help!
May 30, 2013
212 posts
403 upvotes
Need help with the following:
  • Has anyone received a red light camera ticket before? Are there any demerit point?
  • Also, can we fight the ticket in court?
  • Will it affect insurance rate?
Jul 22, 2009
952 posts
405 upvotes
Brampton
No demerit points
Dose not affect insurance
You can fight it but you will loose however they will reduce your fine if plead guilty.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2002
5586 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
What about red light and speed ticket together?
Jul 22, 2009
952 posts
405 upvotes
Brampton
jtcb wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 10:43 pm
What about red light and speed ticket together?
Speeding definitely counts
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
12053 posts
11852 upvotes
Oakville
kylin18 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 8:42 pm
  • Has anyone received a red light camera ticket before? Are there any demerit point?
Just pay it and stop running red lights. No demerit because they can't prove who was driving.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
9841 posts
6197 upvotes
Edmonton
kylin18 wrote:
Oct 15th, 2019 8:42 pm
No insurance impact for any photo generated ticket. No demerits.

You can attempt to fight either one in court, but if it comes to a trial, you'll lose. Better to attempt to negotiate down the fine.

C
Oct 15, 2019
2 posts
1 upvote
Montreal
Ok this is really for a friend of mine.
Background: She is from South Korea with an international driver license.
Two tickets issued when she was in Ottawa the 14th of October 2019. She has 15 days to act: Option 1. Pay the fines. Option 2. Explain the situation in court to reduce the fines. Option 3. Go for a trial.

Ticket #1: Not complying with Move Over law. While it does not excuse her ignorance of the law, her being from South Korea working temporarily in Montreal, is there a way to reduce the fine ($490) knowing that two cars in front of her did not comply with the law either (none of the vehicles changed lane). In this case, she was only following what the other two cars were doing.

Ticket #2: Also $490. She took too long to pull over when the officer was flashing his lights. She told me (I was not with her during the incident) once she pulled her car over that the officer was talking too fast and when the officer saw her international license calmed downed and spoke at slower pace. He told her about the 3 options, and stated a violation is still a violation.

We are looking at Option #2 and go to Ottawa to try to reduce the fines. What are her chance? And by how much would the reduction be (if any of you had prior experience with similar cases)?

Thanks in advance.
STT
Jul 9, 2014
120 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
65km in a 50km zone, 60$ fine.

1. Is there chance for trial option that will see no conviction?

2. If I do pay it, is that agreeing I am guilty and automatic conviction record?

Thank you.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1656 posts
489 upvotes
Toronto
thedoctorr wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 4:32 pm

2. If I do pay it, is that agreeing I am guilty and automatic conviction record?

Thank you.
From what I gathered in this thread, the only way you're getting out of this ticket is if you choose to go to trial and the cop doesn't show up to the courthouse which should be pretty low since they're getting paid to be there.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jun 18, 2018
710 posts
361 upvotes
Toronto
thedoctorr wrote:
Oct 16th, 2019 4:32 pm

Thank you.
Only if the cop doesn't show. You can check before court how many offenses your officer is coming in for. If you're the only one or just you and a few others, more likely cop won't show. You even have a chance to wait the cop out before the trial begins, as they will be in the room prior to it starting.

That is your only option to get out of that ticket. And yes, once you pay, a conviction is registered. Some people choose the court option to delay a conviction for their upcoming renewal etc.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)