Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2772 posts
53 upvotes
Well, when he moved away from the front of your car why didn't you just take off? He's not a cop, he can't stop you from leaving. It's not a crime to leave while he's writing you a ticket.
:arrowl: Thank me if you find my post helpful :)
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
123 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
Do a mad burnout - and if he doesnt get out of the way, run him over >:0
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2309 posts
186 upvotes
YF
cause there is a car in front of me parked also, and I need to turn my wheel to drive off. Can I still dispute it because I was in my car?
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2012
1199 posts
214 upvotes
ORLEANS
I would have revved the engine. Or if there is space just back up and drive off. Or actually run him over to give him a life lesson.

But you shouldn't have parked there unless there was a driver in the car
Dec 22, 2013
15 posts
firetree wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 1:34 pm
hi Djino...I got a speeding ticket driving 80km /hr at a 50km/hr zone.at resolution meeting they said they could reduce fine from $220 to $90 by reducing from 30 km/hr over to 20km/hr over .As well pt is reduced from 4 to 3 pts. I just wonder if I should take it? My record has been spotless for 25 yrs.Readon I speed was work related. But is there any way I could get off with no pts? as I dont want insurance to go up!! thx
It's my understanding if you pursue this to trial the more serious consequence (4 points) is back on the table. Given that you were doing 80 km/h going to trial might be taking a big risk.
I'm in a similar situation with a 40 year spotless record. You would think that would stand for something when applying the points. I think we both deserve a 0 point decision.
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2309 posts
186 upvotes
YF
Palidino wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 5:03 pm
I would have revved the engine. Or if there is space just back up and drive off. Or actually run him over to give him a life lesson.

But you shouldn't have parked there unless there was a driver in the car
if I run him over, I would get a life lesson too haha
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2007
2067 posts
606 upvotes
FlashFyre wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 5:04 pm
Maybe don't park in fire route?
+1

There's nthg that says a PEO cannot stand in front of a car to serve a ticket. Did he tell you you cannot drive way? Did he tell you he was detaining you? Did he motion you to stop? And if you drive into him and hit him, you will be looking at A LOT more than a parking ticket.

Lesson: Don't be a selfish jerk and park in fire routes.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11504 posts
4841 upvotes
Toronto
IMWHFMPC wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 4:46 pm
Can a parking enforcement officer stops you from driving away while he is still writing a ticket to your car??

I was in this situation today, I was in a store grabbing a juice, had parked the car in fire route. But from inside the store I have direct view of my car in case anything happens. Less than a minute suddenly I noticed a parking officer started writing a ticket to my car, so I got out of the store immediately without placing order. I told the officer that I am leaving, got into my car, and he stood in front of the car preventing me from driving off, then came to the side asked me to roll down the window and started asking me why I parked there, the consequences, etc. I kept telling him I only just stepped out of the car and that I am willing to leave right away. During that time he continues to write his ticket, after at least 30 seconds he finished writing the ticket and handed it to me.

Can parking officer stop you from leaving? I was IN MY CAR while he gives me the ticket. And what actual power do they actually have so that the next time I won't be afraid to confront them, thanks.
malecoke wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 5:11 pm
+1

Agreed, OP is just another self-absorbed member of the me-first generation.

Parked in a fire route to grab some juice...talk about an emergency situation!

Do you even know what a fire route is for OP?

:facepalm:

Glad the cop stood his/her ground and gave you the ticket you rightly deserved.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 15, 2005
7263 posts
219 upvotes
Toronto
I received a ticket for parking in a fire route, however, when i go online to TORONTO MUNICIPAL CODE CHAPTER 880, FIRE ROUTES SCHEDULE A, FIRE ROUTE DESIGNATIONS.
(http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/municode/1184_880_a.pdf)

I do not see the address listed on there, would i be able to go into court to challenge this and state that the ticket should be thrown out?
Deal Addict
May 4, 2004
2507 posts
21 upvotes
malecoke wrote:
Jan 6th, 2014 5:11 pm
+1

There's nthg that says a PEO cannot stand in front of a car to serve a ticket. Did he tell you you cannot drive way? Did he tell you he was detaining you? Did he motion you to stop? And if you drive into him and hit him, you will be looking at A LOT more than a parking ticket.

+1

Not being a douche, but it doesn't hurt to walk a couple steps from a proper parking spot.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2011
1485 posts
347 upvotes
In Quebec if you drive away, they'll just send it by mail. Don't know in Ontario though.
Dec 27, 2011
23 posts
2 upvotes
CONCORD
Hi Guys,

I am about to mail out the disclosure request letter and I was wondering if you have other ideas as what more to include in the request. More specifically, the cop stopped me telling me I was going to fast, "I am sure you were speeding" he said, I am sure he didn't have a radar pointed at me. This is why, I am just thinking maybe it's not a bad idea to ask him to provide measurements or something similar that led him to the conclusion I was speeding...what do you think?
Here is what I got so far:

1. Both sides of the officer's copy of the ticket
2. A detailed typed copy of all officers notes regarding the alleged offence including explanations or shorthand, or coded notes by the officers
3. Information about any speed monitoring devices used in the alleged offence.
4. A copy of the officer’s training record, or certificate of qualification specific to said speed-monitoring device, or speed estimation device.
5. A copy of the calibration, and repair history of any speed-monitoring device used in this alleged offence.
6. A copy of the operator’s manual for said speed-monitoring device.
7. The make, model, serial number, purchase date, software revision, and repair history log of the radar speed monitoring device used;
8. Copies of the manufacturer's specifications for testing the 'speed monitoring device'
9. A detailed description of the settings the radar speed monitoring device was in a the specific time of the alleged offence;
10. Detailed accuracy specifications of the radar device in moving mode and stationary mode which is obtained via the manufacture and or authorized distributor;
11. The daily inspection log for the police vehicle used in detection of the alleged speed offence on the alleged offence date;
12. And any other document that the Crown, or Crown’s witness, may rely on at trial.

Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2012
3580 posts
364 upvotes
Toronto
I am filing a 4F for both section 7 and 11B.

Please can I get a template / sample for both?

Thanks!!!