Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Dec 5, 2007
157 posts
34 upvotes
Thanks Saibot for your reply,

I wanted to know should I request disclosure by online or should I call them for the disclosure, last time they asked me log into website and fill up the information and they did send to my email address .
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
123 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
daregiri wrote:
May 5th, 2014 9:28 pm
Thanks Saibot for your reply,

I wanted to know should I request disclosure by online or should I call them for the disclosure, last time they asked me log into website and fill up the information and they did send to my email address .
No. Neither.
Type up a letter. Fax to them and save the fax transmission reciept.

This is the most commonly accepted proof by the courts that it was actually delivered/requested
Feb 8, 2008
86 posts
3 upvotes
dontkno wrote:
Apr 20th, 2014 4:44 pm
I filed for disclosure before my trial, and the prosecutor said, one and a half months before trial, was too late. He adjourned the case so I can get disclosure. I still have not received disclosure, should I request for it again? or can I file an 11b? as the next trial date will be ~15months after when the ticket was issued. Thank you for the help!
Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
Nov 27, 2013
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Just want to ask further advice.

So I requested a trail in person by filling out the notice to appear form. when do I request disclosure and a request for a speedy trail? Do I wait until I get the notice of trail letter or do it now?

If i do it now where do I send it to? The ticket combat website says once you receive the notice of trail you can send your disclosure letter to the address on the notice and I presume the prosecution is on there also?

Any advice is greatly appreciated I'm just trying to take it all in

Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2009
1964 posts
123 upvotes
Center of the Univer…
dontkno wrote:
May 6th, 2014 9:07 pm
Any thoughts on this? Thank you.
Yes, you're required to do due dillagence. Ask for disclosure 3+ times. File 11b as well as a section 7
May 6, 2014
2 posts
Oshawa, ON
Hi,

I am a 20 years old student turning 21 next month. I have g2 drivers licence in Toronto or say i had because i received a Notice from MTO stating that it was suspended. I actually have 2 questions.

number 1 is that I i had received 4 tickets from a police officer while i was driving my boss car and working. 1st ticket was doing 69 km/h on a 60 km/h zone. the 2nd ticket was for failure to surrender permit of vehicle, the 3rd for failure to surrender insurance card, and the 4th was for expired sticker of the number plate. I had received the tickets on jan 11 2011.

now my 1st question is i had filed a appeal against all charges because i knew i was not doing over 60 because i could see the cops right behind me and i would not speed plus it was me going down hill as-well. it was not my vehicle it was my bosses i had no idea that his sticker was expired. Also when i got pulled over i had asked the officers to give me a few minutes to find the ownership and insurance papers because it was not my car and i had to look for them. anyways i had appealed the tickets and received the trail notice. I was unable to make it to the trail on time i was a couple hours late because i also had an university exam that day. Also tried to reopen the case but my request was denied but i hadn't received notice of the rejection and one day all of a sudden i got questioned my a cop randomly while parked outside my house and he had notified me that my licencee was suspended and luckily because i was not driving and outside and parked outside my house he would not give me any tickets or impound my car and he took off my with my g2 card. So surprised i went to the ministry and paid my fines so i was able to get my licencee back because i needed it for commuting to my university. Also i had to pay a reinstatement fee of 150$ which i was really madd about because i wanted to fight the tickets.

My 1st question is can i still fight those tickets and get back my money that i used to pay the fines ? I really didn't wanna pay but had to because i wanted my g2 asap.

The the 2nd thing i wanna ask is that last year while i was travelling with my family by road from Calgary to Toronto i got pulled over by an RCMP officer and he stated he clocked me going 120 on a 70 zone in Manitoba he clocked my lets say a 100-300 meters into the 70 zone the highway i was on is a 110 km/h and i didn't jamm my break i just lifted off the gas when i entered the 70 zone. He said he was gonna write my ticket for going 100 on the 70 zone because he felt bad for me but that was still a 500$ ticket he gave me but no demerit points. anyhow i drove back to Toronto really upset and once i got there i thought long and hard what to do with the ticket and it was gonna cost my alot more to go the court in Manitoba so i ended up paying that ticket online thinking that since its out of province it wont affect my record.

Now my 2nd question is that i randomly received a letter in mail a couple days ago stating my drivers licence is suspended under the highway traffic act pursuant to O. REG. 340/94 For a period of 30 days. Reason: Escalating Sanctions: HTA offence regulation 340/94 You are classified as a novice driver and subject to novice driver licence conditions and escalating sanctions program.

I have checked all over the internet, i had not broken any novice rules unless the ticket from Manitoba made it to Toronto. My question is is there anything i can do about that ticket or my suspension because i only just got my licencee back last month only to have lost it again.

Please someone help me, your help will really be appreciated.

Thank You
Dec 5, 2012
78 posts
70 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I successfully filled 11b. Thanks everyone for helping. I believe I have a pretty strong case, 2 times I was sent home because the court didn't have time to put me on trial and 3rd time the officer didn't show up. God damn 3 times they called me in court and wasted all days. Now 4th time trial is on 6th June.
May 7, 2014
2 posts
Milton, ON
I got ticket for talking on phone at red light, yes i understand cop still has right to give me ticket. Anyways so the fine is $285 with no demerit points please help me with what option should i choose.(p.s it was from peel region police). I would really not want it on my insurance. In addition to that I got ticket for not stopping at stop light 2 years ago payed the fine with option 1 and it did not affect my insurance atall neither received any point.
Thanks in advance
May 7, 2014
19 posts
2 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Hello there, I have a few questions regarding a traffic violation ticket.

I was issued a violation ticket on January 24th, 2013 for an illegal pass on a laned roadway under section 151(f) , within the BC Motor Vehicle Act. The section 151: Laned roadway defines the illegal pass as one where a vehicle drives into a lane not designed for same direction traffic to overtake a vehicle.

Looking at section 119 of the Motor Vehicle Act, it defines 'laned roadway' as a roadway separated by two or more marked lanes in the same direction. The Street in question is a 2 lane road, with just a single SOLID yellow line, and no lane markings. The officer pulled me over prior to a school zone sign, telling me the pass I made was illegal, and unsafe, despite the fact that I was overtaking a vehicle with no oncoming traffic, pedestrians or children. In BC, under section 155 (Highway Lines), it is indicatively clear that passing a vehicle over a single yellow line is infact legal, with extra caution. Despite that, the enforcing officer still claimed I can't pass over single yellow lines, and only broken yellow. I was doing around 90 km/hr in a 50 zone to make the pass, but the officer did not charge me for speeding.

So I decided to dispute the allegation, and I received my court date for July 14th, 2014 at 9:30 AM. Unfortunately, I will be out of town on a pre-booked non-refundable vacation between Jul 9-Jul 23, 2014 and will not be able to attend the hearing. I have filled out the appropriate adjournment form, but I do have questions about it, which I will ask later.

I also decided to contact the officer regarding disclosure, and about withdrawing the ticket on the grounds of a ticket that has no merritt. I explained the incident, and how it was indeed legal, and he just asked if I had disputed the allegation, so I went ahead and said 'I did.' and he responded 'Good, so we can deal with the ticket on the court date.' So, with further regards, I have the following questions:

1) Is a pre-booked non-refundable vacation good enough for an adjournment?
2) Is my case a slam dunk in terms of proving the allegation was invalid?
3) Is there any chance the officer will just say 'no evidence', or withdraw at the court?
4) Do I need any other information to prepare for my defense?
May 17, 2012
256 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
novice driver 4points u licence could be suspended for 30 days.
http://www.ontariotraffictickets.com/sp ... it-points/

Also high possibility the speeding fine did made it to ontario- mainly due to RCMP giving you ticket and that database goes federal all over canada theres a higher like hood of them sending/ sharing it with ontario vs if you were to get stopped outside ontario by local police.

chances are you won't be able to get your money back that you paid already- re-open it and have a trial on tickets maybe.
I had the same thing with red light ticket that my employer paid 1st and than told me about it without asking me if i wanted to fight it and i was told i could still fight it but chances getting money back if i win is slim to none and would mean a lot of headic and paper work.

Unfortunately you as the driver is responsible for the car you drive -ie. u getting behind a wheels of unlicensed /unsafe /un insured car it totally ur responsibility not ur employer -that being said you also can't be penalized for refusing to drive a car with expired val tag and no papers by employer .
I learned my lesson when officer pulled me over in company car with 1 head light our and gave a written warning- saying its my responsibility and tickets in your name and points go to you not ur employer at the end of the day.
Sad thing is your screwed. But still try to re-open the case just to get stuff off your record
May 7, 2014
1 posts
Brampton, ON
I really hope you can help me out....My 17yr old son was charged with careless driving. He received a $490 ticket and can loss 6 points. Officer said to fight it. We are so worried, he is an amazing kid and would love the best advice you can offer. Here is the situation.....

He and 3 friends were in family member's car heading back to school from lunch. He made a left hand turn too quickly and then had to make a quick right into school parking lot. The car somewhat fish tailed and while trying to gain control and pull into school he clipped the curb hard, busting his tire & rim. One passenger did bump her head on window, she was fine, thankfully. All others were fine & all had seat belts on. A tow truck was called. due to it being at a school, police were called. School spoke with all passengers and all said it was an accident with no major issues. Officer never spoke to passengers, he took word of school officials. School has video camera on site and he viewed tape. We were not allowed to view tape. Was told if we fought charges, we would then see tape. Officer gave my son a ticket, said he could fight it but that it had to be issued. Neither my son or our family is in a financial situation to pay for an X-copper type service. We are very fearful of the charges and also how it may later affect insurance.
I want to ensure...do we check off OPTION 2- Early resolution or take ticket in to court house for OPTION 3 -Trial option. It states on ticket that trial option- DO NOT MAIL- i intend to appear in court to plead not guilty. it says i or my representative must attend in person at the court office to file a notice of intention to appear in court.
This is all so scary... which option do we proceed with? We would like to have entire charges dropped if possible. Any advice would be extremely appreciated.
Dec 9, 2006
905 posts
64 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all, I am wondering if I can apply for a stay in this case, any input is appreciated

My first trial is next Monday, just got the mail today (Thurs) asking to pick up the disclosure. Which means I only have tomorrow (Fri) to pick it up and have the weekend to work on my trial strategy.

I sent a fax to the prosecutor's office 2 1/2 months ahead, and then I followed up in person last month. Do I have enough case to have the trial delayed?

Thanks in advance
Sep 2, 2008
92 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Ticketed for turning on a right contrary to the sign, about 110$ and i believe 2 demerit points. i filed for a trial and a few months later still did not get the court date. i called and they told me it was paid (but i did not pay this ticket)...what should i do?
Nov 27, 2013
3 posts
Toronto, ON
MrVee2014 wrote:
May 6th, 2014 11:11 pm
Just want to ask further advice.

So I requested a trail in person by filling out the notice to appear form. when do I request disclosure and a request for a speedy trail? Do I wait until I get the notice of trail letter or do it now?

If i do it now where do I send it to? The ticket combat website says once you receive the notice of trail you can send your disclosure letter to the address on the notice and I presume the prosecution is on there also?

Any advice is greatly appreciated I'm just trying to take it all in

Thanks
^ bump! Anyone? Thanks
Feb 19, 2009
555 posts
40 upvotes
USA
MrVee2014 wrote:
May 8th, 2014 11:11 pm
^ bump! Anyone? Thanks
I"m not sure if you can request for a "speedy trial" but you request for disclosure NOW. There is no reason to delay, and it will work in your favour if you request it and do not receive it even if the officer has ample notice. BTW you could have googled your answer which is how I got mine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)