Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Mar 4, 2012
15 posts
Hamilton
rvs007 wrote: Just to be clear, are your headlights & bulb stock (ie came with the car)?
Thanks for the reply. No, my lights are not stock. Do aftermarket bulbs fall under the category "Improper Headlight"?
Feb 3, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey I got a ticket for Disobey Sign (made a left turn into a mall parking lot from a main street) and I didn't see the sign (I know it's not a defense) If I go to trial what kings of questions should I be asking the officer in order to provide just a little bit of reasonable doubt??

Any help would be appreciated - Thanks in advance.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7440 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jayshun wrote: Thanks for the reply. No, my lights are not stock. Do aftermarket bulbs fall under the category "Improper Headlight"?
Nothing in the HTA about bulbs. The only requirement is that the front lights must be white or amber. So it's up to you to convince the justice that what you have installed is considered amber.

More info here:

http://www.ontarioticket.com/motor-vehicle-lighting.php
Mar 4, 2012
15 posts
Hamilton
rvs007 wrote: Nothing in the HTA about bulbs. The only requirement is that the front lights must be white or amber. So it's up to you to convince the justice that what you have installed is considered amber.

More info here:

http://www.ontarioticket.com/motor-vehicle-lighting.php
Thanks for the help and insight. I am planning to use that as my argument, to try and convince the justice what I have is considered amber. Hopefully, I can create a strong argument.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7440 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Jayshun wrote: Thanks for the help and insight. I am planning to use that as my argument, to try and convince the justice what I have is considered amber. Hopefully, I can create a strong argument.
You have to be firm in stating that your bulb is amber. Not sure if possible but if you can find the bulb manufacturer's sales/product material that says it's amber colour then use that in your defense. What's considered yellow and amber is very subjective, so fighting it can be difficult. But you also have to prove about the other points (that the headlight wasn't covered in coloured film, housing wasn't coloured, it's not HID, etc.). Good luck.
Feb 10, 2012
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Hello All,

Traffic ticket, missing officer's signature.
For now I will spare you the details and my true belief I did not deserve the charge, but will share if needed.

This Friday is the last of the 15 days for choosing one of the three options on the back.

What should I do:
A) Ignore the ticket and then what?
B) Request a trial, disclosure, etc and leave the judge find out the signature is missing?

How about this: Is that right? So the officer might have it signed afterwards and no chance of easy get away?
ticketfighter wrote: The only one that needs to be signed is the original that is filed with the court.
I am a complete novice in terms of laws, courts and all those sorts of things and I need help making the right decision by the end of the week.

Thank you!
Jul 9, 2014
128 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Hey, I got a speeding ticket for going 90km in a 60km road and "Failure to Surrender License" because I left it in my other bag and didn't realize that and had a family member bring it out to me to show the officer but still got a ticket for that as well.

What are the steps I can do to either lower the fine and remove the dermit points?

Thanks so much
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15719 posts
7440 upvotes
Toronto, ON
thedoctorr wrote: Hey, I got a speeding ticket for going 90km in a 60km road and "Failure to Surrender License" because I left it in my other bag and didn't realize that and had a family member bring it out to me to show the officer but still got a ticket for that as well.

What are the steps I can do to either lower the fine and remove the dermit points?

Thanks so much
Request early resolution meeting. Show up at the meeting with your licence and explain the situation. The prosecutor will likely drop the second ticket. For the speeding ticket, see what the prosecutor will offer you as a plea bargain. If you're happy with a lowered fine and no points (but still a conviction that could affect your insurance), then take the plea bargain if that's what the prosecutor offers you. If there's no offer, request a trial and see if you get offered a deal then.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
jhsbg1 wrote: Hello All,

Traffic ticket, missing officer's signature.
For now I will spare you the details and my true belief I did not deserve the charge, but will share if needed.

This Friday is the last of the 15 days for choosing one of the three options on the back.

What should I do:
A) Ignore the ticket and then what?
B) Request a trial, disclosure, etc and leave the judge find out the signature is missing?

How about this: Is that right? So the officer might have it signed afterwards and no chance of easy get away?

I am a complete novice in terms of laws, courts and all those sorts of things and I need help making the right decision by the end of the week.

Thank you!
Was your ticket computer printed? If so, there does not need to be a signature. A typed name will suffice.
Feb 10, 2012
3 posts
Toronto, ON
joepoonie wrote: Was your ticket computer printed? If so, there does not need to be a signature. A typed name will suffice.
It is the green paper, hand filled.
Thank you
Jul 9, 2014
128 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote: Request early resolution meeting. Show up at the meeting with your licence and explain the situation. The prosecutor will likely drop the second ticket. For the speeding ticket, see what the prosecutor will offer you as a plea bargain. If you're happy with a lowered fine and no points (but still a conviction that could affect your insurance), then take the plea bargain if that's what the prosecutor offers you. If there's no offer, request a trial and see if you get offered a deal then.
Thanks!!!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
jhsbg1 wrote: It is the green paper, hand filled.
Thank you
Then yes, it is a fatal error. You'll have to ignore the ticket and the judge that reviews ignored tickets should quash the ticket.

If they don't quash the ticket, then you'll have to file an appeal.
Feb 10, 2012
3 posts
Toronto, ON
joepoonie wrote: Then yes, it is a fatal error. You'll have to ignore the ticket and the judge that reviews ignored tickets should quash the ticket.
If they don't quash the ticket, then you'll have to file an appeal.
Thank you joepoonie!

One more question:
What is the probability the police officer had the original signed just before submitting it, registering it (or what ever they do to move it forward) ?
ticketfighter wrote: The only one that needs to be signed is the original that is filed with the court.
Would it matter?

Thanks
Jul 9, 2014
15 posts
1 upvote
Hampton, ON
About 10 days ago I received a speeding ticket. I was (allegedly) doing 135 in a 100 but the officer reduced it to 120.

In the mean time I've been doing a bit of research and apparently the silver bullet is a fatal flaw such as a misspelled name.

I think I may have just that, but its very very close. My PO Box is 519 and it appears the officer wrote 579.

Here's the thing: Every single '1' written on the ticket besides this one is a vertical stroke. Every seven is written with a second dash.

I uploaded some samples from the ticket as well as a picture of the flaw itself: https://imgur.com/a/MPmKC

So what do you guys think? Is this good enough to be a fatal flaw?

Thanks!
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
doulomb wrote: About 10 days ago I received a speeding ticket. I was (allegedly) doing 135 in a 100 but the officer reduced it to 120.

In the mean time I've been doing a bit of research and apparently the silver bullet is a fatal flaw such as a misspelled name.

I think I may have just that, but its very very close. My PO Box is 519 and it appears the officer wrote 579.

Here's the thing: Every single '1' written on the ticket besides this one is a vertical stroke. Every seven is written with a second dash.

I uploaded some samples from the ticket as well as a picture of the flaw itself: https://imgur.com/a/MPmKC

So what do you guys think? Is this good enough to be a fatal flaw?

Thanks!
Definitely not a fatal flaw, considering how the officer writes the numbers "5" and "7", it's clear that he wrote 519 and not 579.
Sep 29, 2007
747 posts
345 upvotes
Ontario
The prosecution wants me to delete the original email that had the wrong person's driving record and email back that it's been done. I don't think I have that legal obligation. Instead, is it worth bringing up in court the failure of the prosecution to take the right to disclosure seriously. Also I have asked twice for typed notes of the officer's chicken scratch and gotten nothing. Everything else is pretty cut and dry, all I really have is a bet that the officer won't show up. Should I bother with any motions to stay or anything.
Feb 6, 2015
1 posts
Oakville, ON
Here's a situation I have not found an answer for:
I got a parking ticket in Montreal back in December 11 2014. Although I paid at the machine when I parked, apparently my infraction was issued the EXACT same minute I was paying (the closest machine was broken, and I had to walk about a minute to the next one down the road). SO apparently the system hadn't had time to update with my payment information.

Anyway, I wrote to the Montreal Court as instructed on the ticket, declaring my NOT GUILTY plea, but hadn't received a reply as of yesterday, when I received an Infraction notice.
This is clearly a case of a system limitation and some sort of inability to track the delivery (or not) of my letter, and not, in any way, my fault. How can I make sure they will handle this correctly and won't "extort" me to have to face a trial in Montreal?

After a year in Canada, I still find it odd that, for some reason, there's no easy way to do things in certain places. You can fight a ticket in ON via email. Is there a "secret" way to do that in Montreal?

Anyway, thanks for all the cool information on the thread!
Feb 6, 2015
1 posts
Toronto
I got a speeding ticket in the summer, and the trial is on next tuesday. I requested the disclosure and received it, and looks like the officer did not make any notes at all. How do i fight this ticket in court?
Feb 6, 2015
1 posts
Lethbridge
I was parked on a hill and it was icy. I was parked uphill with wheels turned left so I would roll into curb if I slid. I ended up sliding down the curb till the ice higher then curb and thenmy truck went partly onto the grass turning my truck on an angle where my box was sticking into the lane. I got a park to abstruse ticket. Can I fight it as I took the propor actions to prevent this. I have pictures to prove it aswell.