Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Sep 7, 2009
22 posts
Ontario
Really?
That's not what it says here:

http://ticketcombat.com/step5/quash.php

"The only flaws that gets the ticket thrown out (fatal flaws) are:

no offence date;
no defendant’s name (if your name is misspelled, the ticket still counts);
no location;
missing officer’s signature;
unknown offence (e.g. speeding 70kh/hr in a 64km/hr zone);
the filing date is beyond seven days.
vero95 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 9:35 pm
this is not a fatal error
Nov 25, 2014
4 posts
Toronto, ON
vero95 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 9:36 pm
if this is a parking ticket, wait until you receive a notice in the mail
http://ticketcombat.com/parking/parking.php

what kind of violation does it say it was? what section, by-law, etc
This was taken from an earlier conversation about it. I am work and don't have the ticket in hand..
Gobias wrote:
Mar 4th, 2014 2:08 pm
I just got the same ticket. The license plate stickers were expired (just went and got them renewed now), but the infraction is "Park - Vehicle without valid Ontario number plate properly displayed". The license plates were properly displayed, so I can only interpret this as an issue with the stickers. But that's not what the offence says; is it illegal to park with expired stickers? Seems to me that it should only be an offence if you drive with them.
actng wrote:
Mar 4th, 2014 2:24 pm
That's why I'm asking Code 406 of what Act... the verbage is Park vehicle without valid ontario number plate properly displayed. Nothing to do with snow plow.

without a valid sticker, your plates are expired and not valid.
Nov 25, 2014
4 posts
Toronto, ON
http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/conte ... d60f89RCRD

Parking Ticket Cancellation Guidelines

1.0 Incorrect or Missing Data on the Parking Ticket
Parking tickets may be cancelled where there is sufficient evidence to indicate that any of the
following apply:
 Incorrect or missing date
 Incorrect time of infraction
 Time of infraction missing
 Incorrect or missing plate number
 Plate's Province/State missing
 Address where offence occurred is missing or incorrect
 Infraction set fine amount missing, incorrect or changed
 Bylaw code or bylaw reference incorrect or missing
 Parking ticket not signed
 Changes made to infraction not initialled by the Issuing Officer

This is stated further down the list:

21.0 Tickets issued for Expired Plates:
Cancellation of tickets issued for offences related to Expired Plates cannot be cancelled unless the
driver/owner provides documentation which clearly identifies that the license plates of the offending
vehicle were renewed prior to the offence date and time. Cancellation conditions require acceptable
documentation which is restricted to:
1. a true copy of a Ministry of Transportation or Service Ontario Invoice showing date and time
of purchase, which must be before the offence date and time; and
2. the invoice must include the plate number that was renewed - which must match the plate
number on the parking ticket

Now...when push comes to shove the renewed number CAN NOT match the plate number on the ticket, since there is an error on the ticket.
Sep 7, 2009
22 posts
Ontario
I just received a ticket for driving while using a handheld device. I've shown the officer, that it was a GPS and I just adjusted it's position below the dashboard (it was not mounted) and he proceeded to give me a ticket anyway. The only thing is that he DID NOT enter the date or time of the violation, just year 2014.

Is the ticket still valid? What do I do? Ignore it, go to trial? Ask for appointment with prosecutor? What to do and when? Can the officer/judge still amend the ticket?

Any advice is appreciated.

I already found out from your post that this is considered "fatal error", but I want to make sure that I do it right.

Thank you.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1786 upvotes
damamaj wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 10:02 pm
Really?
That's not what it says here:

http://ticketcombat.com/step5/quash.php

"The only flaws that gets the ticket thrown out (fatal flaws) are:

no offence date;
no defendant’s name (if your name is misspelled, the ticket still counts);
no location;
missing officer’s signature;
unknown offence (e.g. speeding 70kh/hr in a 64km/hr zone);
the filing date is beyond seven days.
a year is still a date, no? just not in the format you think it should be
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1786 upvotes
WalkerGal wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 11:00 pm
This was taken from an earlier conversation about it. I am work and don't have the ticket in hand..
if they got your plates wrong, they will never be able to identify you. if a plate with the wrong number exist, they will send a notice to someone else. that's too bad but it happens pretty often. many people complain that they got a parking ticket notice but they were actually never parked at that location
you just need to wait for the notice and see
Sep 7, 2009
22 posts
Ontario
Yes, but if you think of "paying 15 days from the offence date", then I have till Jan. 15, 2015, right?
Nov 25, 2014
4 posts
Toronto, ON
vero95 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2014 7:52 am
if they got your plates wrong, they will never be able to identify you. if a plate with the wrong number exist, they will send a notice to someone else....
you just need to wait for the notice and see
I'm actually not too worried about the ticket going to someone else. Its a personalized plate and the odds of someone having one with the 'numerical and letter values' that alike to mine are pretty slim...I'd go with impossible.

So I guess I'll just wait. I would have done them the favor of alerting them that the ticket was invalid if not for the 21.0 notice. Good thing I searched for the info and read it 'entirely'!
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1786 upvotes
damamaj wrote:
Jun 27th, 2014 8:07 am
Yes, but if you think of "paying 15 days from the offence date", then I have till Jan. 15, 2015, right?
you are arguing now that you do not know when you got the ticket. he needs to file the ticket withing 7 days. do you think he forgot that or also put no day and month when filing your ticket?
you can ask for disclosure and you will know if the date is in the officer's notes
Sep 30, 2010
39 posts
4 upvotes
Calgary, Alberta
Alright I got a speeding ticket June 18th, 2014.

Going 111km in a 80 zone. Fine is $187.00.

I don't want the Demerit points(increased premiums) OR to pay the fine.

My drivers abstract has been clean for over 5 years.

I actually legit forgot I was in an 80 zone(it was a 100 zone maybe10km's behind me?) as I was tired from just getting off of work.
Gun was a radar/laser, and officer was going in the opposite direction(forgetting the changed posted limit was why I didn't slow down).

I have to appear in the Airdrie court August 12th to decide what I wish to do.

From what I gathered, I should either fight it and go in hard with the whole evidence of properly calibrated gun not available, or to plead guilty to get no demerits and reduced fine?
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and I do not know whether to try and mail this ticket in with not guilty or just appear at court August 12th?
Nov 27, 2014
1 posts
Winnipeg, MB
hi, My wife just got a parking ticket for being one foot in to a no stopping zone , is there a percentage of the vehical that you are allowed to have over into the zone or is there zero tolerance ?
Aug 3, 2011
411 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
damamaj wrote:
Jun 26th, 2014 8:51 pm
I just received a ticket for driving while using a handheld device. I've shown the officer, that it was a GPS and I just adjusted it's position below the dashboard (it was not mounted) and he proceeded to give me a ticket anyway. The only thing is that he DID NOT enter the date or time of the violation, just year 2014.

Is the ticket still valid? What do I do? Ignore it, go to trial? Ask for appointment with prosecutor? What to do and when? Can the officer/judge still amend the ticket?

Any advice is appreciated.

I already found out from your post that this is considered "fatal error", but I want to make sure that I do it right.

Thank you.
First, please do not post the same message (Jun 26 - 7:51pm vs Jun 26 - 11:00pm). I believe this is considered a spam.

Second, this flaw can help you defend yourself better. However, whether this is considered a fatal error or not, I cannot comment.
damamaj wrote:
Jun 27th, 2014 8:07 am
Please use your common sense. If you really behave like that in front of the judge, it wont help your case.

[...]
Aug 3, 2011
411 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
Daganl wrote:
Jun 27th, 2014 1:39 pm
Alright I got a speeding ticket June 18th, 2014.

Going 111km in a 80 zone. Fine is $187.00.

I don't want the Demerit points(increased premiums) OR to pay the fine.

My drivers abstract has been clean for over 5 years.

I actually legit forgot I was in an 80 zone(it was a 100 zone maybe10km's behind me?) as I was tired from just getting off of work.
Gun was a radar/laser, and officer was going in the opposite direction(forgetting the changed posted limit was why I didn't slow down).

I have to appear in the Airdrie court August 12th to decide what I wish to do.

From what I gathered, I should either fight it and go in hard with the whole evidence of properly calibrated gun not available, or to plead guilty to get no demerits and reduced fine?
Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated. Oh and I do not know whether to try and mail this ticket in with not guilty or just appear at court August 12th?
If you want no demerit points or fine, then you must go to the court.

It sounds like you already got a disclosure (ie. details about the radar gun)...if you don't think you can win this case, then consultation with a legal council might not be a bad idea.

You said you "forgot" about 80 zone. Does this mean you did not see any speed sign? Or you saw it, but ignored it? If there was no sign (or even if the sign was there, if it was not clearly visible to the drivers), then this could help you fight the case. Remember, as long as you did not intentionally violate anything (due diligence), you might be okay.
Aug 3, 2011
411 posts
94 upvotes
Toronto
llerrad800 wrote:
Jun 27th, 2014 3:24 pm
hi, My wife just got a parking ticket for being one foot in to a no stopping zone , is there a percentage of the vehical that you are allowed to have over into the zone or is there zero tolerance ?
I can't clearly remember the detail on this, but there IS a minimum percentage that must be in the restricted zone to be ticketed. Maybe it was the 1/3 of the vehicle (ie. front wheel or back wheel entering the zone)....but maybe someone else can verify on this?

*what I say may be only applicable to Ontario case...I don't know the specific rule in Manitoba.
Apr 17, 2012
50 posts
1 upvote
MISSISSAUGA
Hi I just got my first ticket ever; after 14 years of driving. I got a ticket for going 75km in a 60 km zone.
Officer said I was going 95km. He even wrote on the top of the ticket (95 km/h).
But under Did commit the offence of: he put speeding 75kn/h in a 60km/h zone.

I should have asked him to give me a warning. I didn’t. It was my first ticket, I didn’t know what to do. I truly thought the speed limit was 80, but he said no it’s 60. On the back it gives me 3 options, I want to fight this ticket but I’m confused on how to do it. I want to choose option 3 and just show up to court this Monday. Can I do that? Can I just show up to court on Monday or do I need some kind of appointment? This may seem like a stupid question but how do I plead not guilty? I know I was speeding. I truly thought speed limit was 80 and I was going 85-90 at the most. That’s my defense..this is my first ticket ever. I always hear about people getting out of their tickets..how? do you plead not guilty when you know you were speeding. What I would like is this ticket to be dropped as a warning. Give me a warning, considering I have 14 years driving in Ontario and this is my first ticket.

Should I choose option 2 then? Early Resolution meet with prosecutor?
Is that what I should tell prosecutor? please drop this ticket and give me a warning as I have had clean record for 14 years. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)