Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Aug 31, 2015
3 posts
Brampton, ON
Is there legislature/liturature you could point me towards to I can fully read up on it? Thanks for your response and this thread ;)
Apr 16, 2007
858 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Offering cash to someone who will win my 26 over case at Toronto Old City Hall in November. Will meet you at courthouse with cash in hand and attend trial with you. If I get off, the money is yours. If the officer isn't there and the case is thrown out due to that reason, i'll still give you something just for showing up.

If interested PM me.
May 1, 2011
206 posts
151 upvotes
eberkelmans wrote: QUICK QUESTION!!!! Could really use an answer!!
In the police officers disclosure notes, she wrote 'I observed a male in a black SMART CAR manipulate his phone'

I drive a Scion IQ from Toyota, yes its a small car but it's technically not a Smart Car from Mercedes.

Can I do ANYTHING with this mistake? Trials next week.
rvs007 wrote: You can try to use that to discredit the officer's testimony and challenge what she saw, but it's not a fatal error that would get your ticket dropped automatically.
I appreciate the input. Is there a particular way I should word it while shes on the stand?
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1457 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
Hi

Is it possible to act on behalf of another person? Relative got a ticket running a red light, disclosure was obtained and the view of the light is obstructed. I have seen the video from the cop car and you can't even tell what colour the light was. I took pictures at the intersection from where the cop was and there are trees blocking any view the cop could have had. I've also timed how long a car would take to cross the intersection going 60km/hr and m y relative took longer when timing it on the video. Which to me indicates slowing down for the Amber light to proceed cautiously.

So my question is 1) Cani fight it on their behalf and if so what is needed to be sent to the prosecutor/city?
2) do I have a chance?
3) will insurance be affected if the fine is dropped? Demerit points dropped? Both
4) I've heard of an early resolution meeting...what is that?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
jokerstone1 wrote: Hi

Is it possible to act on behalf of another person? Relative got a ticket running a red light, disclosure was obtained and the view of the light is obstructed. I have seen the video from the cop car and you can't even tell what colour the light was. I took pictures at the intersection from where the cop was and there are trees blocking any view the cop could have had. I've also timed how long a car would take to cross the intersection going 60km/hr and m y relative took longer when timing it on the video. Which to me indicates slowing down for the Amber light to proceed cautiously.

So my question is 1) Cani fight it on their behalf and if so what is needed to be sent to the prosecutor/city?
2) do I have a chance?
3) will insurance be affected if the fine is dropped? Demerit points dropped? Both
4) I've heard of an early resolution meeting...what is that?

Thanks
You will need a written note saying that you have permission to act on their behalf.

FYI: Your pictures will probably get excluded unless you can prove they were taken at the time of the incident.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1457 posts
767 upvotes
Toronto
joepoonie wrote: You will need a written note saying that you have permission to act on their behalf.

FYI: Your pictures will probably get excluded unless you can prove they were taken at the time of the incident.
I can take stills from the video...the video is so bad that it shows nothing. The cop can be heard on video saying he will check the video to be sure ( indicating that he wasn't sure to begin with) so if this is the video that he checked....do I have a case?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3048 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
jokerstone1 wrote: I can take stills from the video...the video is so bad that it shows nothing. The cop can be heard on video saying he will check the video to be sure ( indicating that he wasn't sure to begin with) so if this is the video that he checked....do I have a case?
You seem to have a pretty good case if you can prove that the officer couldn't see the light.
Sep 1, 2015
4 posts
Riverview, NB
So glad I found this thread. I'm going to court to contest a ticket my 18 year old son received last month. This is the situation in a nutshell:

Son entered the light controlled intersection to make a left turn into a parking lot, according to him on a green that immediately turned yellow. A witness waiting to leave the parking lot said it was yellow when he entered the intersection. My son began the left turn - there was a car approaching from the opposite direction, which my son said he saw, but would have time to stop, as they were not in the intersection and were approximately 4-5 car lengths away. As my son was entering the parking lot, directly in front of the witness waiting to exit the lot, he was struck by the opposite direction vehicle in the rear passenger door area, activating the airbag and writing off our vehicle.

The witness told myself and the police that the accident happened directly in front of him and that as soon as the accident happened, his light turned green a second later. This, to me, means the driver that stuck our car entered the intersection on a very late yellow, perhaps red, and had plenty of time to stop. My son was almost in the parking lot when he was struck, and I have photos to illustrate the position of the vehicles. Virtually no damage was done to the other vehicle.

I want to fight the traffic ticket, but then I want to take my insurance to small claims court as well, since they determined he was 100% at fault, using their determination of fault rules. I've read the information extensively, and the worst I can see is that this is a 50/50 fault issue. Our provincial insurance ombudsman even talked to the insurance to get them to change their determination, but they would not.

So, will I be waisting my time with this? Is my son clearly at fault for this accident?

Thanks for your opinion!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
willise wrote: So glad I found this thread. I'm going to court to contest a ticket my 18 year old son received last month. This is the situation in a nutshell:

Son entered the light controlled intersection to make a left turn into a parking lot, according to him on a green that immediately turned yellow. A witness waiting to leave the parking lot said it was yellow when he entered the intersection. My son began the left turn - there was a car approaching from the opposite direction, which my son said he saw, but would have time to stop, as they were not in the intersection and were approximately 4-5 car lengths away. As my son was entering the parking lot, directly in front of the witness waiting to exit the lot, he was struck by the opposite direction vehicle in the rear passenger door area, activating the airbag and writing off our vehicle.

The witness told myself and the police that the accident happened directly in front of him and that as soon as the accident happened, his light turned green a second later. This, to me, means the driver that stuck our car entered the intersection on a very late yellow, perhaps red, and had plenty of time to stop. My son was almost in the parking lot when he was struck, and I have photos to illustrate the position of the vehicles. Virtually no damage was done to the other vehicle.

I want to fight the traffic ticket, but then I want to take my insurance to small claims court as well, since they determined he was 100% at fault, using their determination of fault rules. I've read the information extensively, and the worst I can see is that this is a 50/50 fault issue. Our provincial insurance ombudsman even talked to the insurance to get them to change their determination, but they would not.

So, will I be waisting my time with this? Is my son clearly at fault for this accident?

Thanks for your opinion!
You are wasting your time. Whether your son is 50% at fault or 100% at fault, it affects his insurance rates the same. Definitely fight the traffic ticket and try to get that dismissed as that's separate from the at fault determination. Good luck!
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
willise wrote: Son entered the light controlled intersection to make a left turn into a parking lot, according to him on a green that immediately turned yellow. A witness waiting to leave the parking lot said it was yellow when he entered the intersection. My son began the left turn - there was a car approaching from the opposite direction, which my son said he saw, but would have time to stop, as they were not in the intersection and were approximately 4-5 car lengths away. As my son was entering the parking lot, directly in front of the witness waiting to exit the lot, he was struck by the opposite direction vehicle in the rear passenger door area, activating the airbag and writing off our vehicle.
Whenever there is the situation of a driver making a left turn and being hit by a car traveling thru on the opposite direction, it's almost always the driver making the left turn who will be charged. It has happened to my friend a long time ago, where he sat in the intersection waiting to make the left turn, the light turns yellow then red, and he thought the car coming opposite is going to stop, and proceeded to make his left turn, but that driver ran a red, and crashed right into him, and my friend got charged.
Sep 1, 2015
4 posts
Riverview, NB
Thanks for your opinion. I was hoping to get the fault dropped altogether actually. I thought 50% was better than 100% in terms of insurance premium increase, but I guess not.

With respect to the ticket, I'm confused on that as well. He is charged with this section of the motor vehicle act:

165(1) The driver of a vehicle approaching an intersection
shall yield the right-of-way to a vehicle that has
entered the intersection from a different highway.

My thought would be that this is the more appropriate section:

166 The driver of a vehicle within an intersection intending
to turn to the left shall yield the right-of-way to
any vehicle approaching from the opposite direction that
is within the intersection or so close thereto as to constitute
an immediate hazard.

It seems like he is charged with the incorrect violation since both vehicles were travelling opposite to each other, not perpendicular. Also, there is a section of the Act that says you have to yield right of way to a vehicle already in the intersection, which my son was (actually, he was almost out of the intersection). I think the best thing to do would be consult a lawyer, depending on the cost, to see if there is any point to disputing this.

Thanks again!
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1264 posts
476 upvotes
Toronto
Consult a paralegal or begin the process yourself (set a trial date, file for disclosure, etc). A lot of people successfully get traffic tickets dismissed in court themselves. I wouldn't exactly hire a lawyer for the traffic ticket because it's most likely viewed as a minor ticket by the insurance company, not worth the $$$ in my opinion.
Sep 1, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Hi

I just got a ticket for speeding 86km on a 60km zone. I just want some insight on how I should defend myself at trial.
So it was on Markham road and Finch where the hill is, I was going southbound and the police was going northbound going oppsite direction. There's three lanes on both side, I was driving on far left lane and the police was also driving on far left lane. There's an island between us and hes going downhill while I was going uphill. In order for the police to get behind me, he have to do a U turn at an area where it is permissible or he will have to run the curb which he didnt. Doing so he had to wait for the incoming traffic to stop and for him to drive down the hill which is not too far but not that close either. During that time he will have to lose visual of me since he cant do a U turn without looking and cant maintain visual if he have to look at incoming traffic. I was driving a hyundai genesis coupe, and on that same block theres also a hyundai dealership. What I'm thinking of doing is to say he lost visual and that the car that was driving at 86km already went past the hill so he lost visual of it while I was that guy who pulled over because i saw emergency vehicle with siren on. Also that because Markham road have so many trucks and cars during the morning which was 1131 am. With that hyundai dealership and 3 other dealership, could it not have been another car? He did lose visual for one, and there are dealerships that sell the same car. How can he be certain that I am that person?

What's your insight on this.... please help =(
Apr 16, 2007
858 posts
173 upvotes
Toronto
Jenuine wrote: Consult a paralegal or begin the process yourself (set a trial date, file for disclosure, etc). A lot of people successfully get traffic tickets dismissed in court themselves. I wouldn't exactly hire a lawyer for the traffic ticket because it's most likely viewed as a minor ticket by the insurance company, not worth the $$$ in my opinion.
I'd pay someone $500 bucks to beat my 26 over speeding ticket in Toronto. I've requested disclosure and so far all obligations on the crown's part have been fulfilled. Their case seems to be cut and dry iron clad. I can't figure out a technicality to get out of it.

My record is lifetime clean and I want to keep it that way.

I have a motorcycle and a car and in total I am paying $2000 a year. Assuming most companies give me 10-15% of a conviction free discount, I'm looking at a minimum of $600-$900 in premium increases over the three years.

I'd rather pay that cash to someone than have it on my record.

Anyone interested, PM me.
Jan 3, 2007
67 posts
7 upvotes
Hey guys heres my incident...

Red Light, looked at phone for 3 seconds and put it back down to look at light.
Officer asks me what I’m doing, I said I was looking at a notification and dropped it.
Pulled over and issued ticket.

What should I do? Unfortunately I wasn't able to proactively react and was very honest...
Sep 4, 2015
1 posts
could you please point me in the right direction concerning filling the 2 stay motions (delay and non-disclosure) in quebec. What i mean by this is what are the charter sections, where can i find the forms to send and to whom must i send them.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Aug 1, 2012
9 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
Hi Guys, my court date is Sept 28, 2015. Need help on whether I should plea or not. I got no evidence that I had stopped and will just be representing my self. Cop says I was speeding and ran a red light on a right turn. Both cases I told the cop I was aware of my driving and came to a stop / wasn't speeding. He issues me a caution ticket for going 120km and a ticket for fail to stop red light. What's your opinion?

Here is the disclosure:
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=5 ... =folder%2c
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2006
2176 posts
407 upvotes
Mississauga
Speeding ticket in Ontario provincial park. As far as I understand it is a provincial offence. Reg 620 of RRO 1990 under the highway traffic act.
There are no demerit points, but will it have impact on insurance ?

Thanks
Dec 17, 2003
284 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto
How can I work around a drive with suspended-unpaid fines. I was unaware of a ticket that I obviously at this point am convicted for. It was two years that I even noticed it when I get pulled over.

Any suggestions?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)