Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Sep 28, 2014
5 posts
Westmount, QC
rvs007 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 9:27 am
A true copy would be one that has been notarized & certified as an authentic copy of the original document. I'm pretty sure you didn't do that and only had a photocopy, which is not a true copy.

You should request disclosure and find out what the officer used as a reference point to determine if you came to a complete stop or not. It doesn't matter if the officer can't see the white line. He/she will typically use a part of your car as reference. For example, your wheels. If he/she determined your wheels never came to a complete stop, then that's submitted as evidence and would be described in disclosure. So request disclosure and see what the officer wrote down, and mount a defense after that.
I do have the disclosure and all it mentions is that "driver slowed down but proceeded through without stopping" no reference point mentioned. And, you are right I did not have notarized copy of the ownership but, I think this is ridiculous a photocopy should be sufficient.
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
11936 posts
3880 upvotes
Toronto, ON
samjad wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 10:27 am
I do have the disclosure and all it mentions is that "driver slowed down but proceeded through without stopping" no reference point mentioned. And, you are right I did not have notarized copy of the ownership but, I think this is ridiculous a photocopy should be sufficient.
Thinking it's ridiculous won't win you any cases in court.

Anyway, for your defense to work, you'll need to demonstrate the snow bank in question would have completely blocked your vehicle from view from the officer's stand point. Does the disclosure show where the officer was at the time of your offence? Did you take measurements of the snow bank to compare it against the dimensions of your vehicle to show your vehicle was blocked by the snow bank. These are the things you need to prove in court if you want to use it as your defense.
Sep 28, 2014
5 posts
Westmount, QC
rvs007 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 10:41 am
Thinking it's ridiculous won't win you any cases in court.

Anyway, for your defense to work, you'll need to demonstrate the snow bank in question would have completely blocked your vehicle from view from the officer's stand point. Does the disclosure show where the officer was at the time of your offence? Did you take measurements of the snow bank to compare it against the dimensions of your vehicle to show your vehicle was blocked by the snow bank. These are the things you need to prove in court if you want to use it as your defense.
Thanks rvs007 for your advise. I will let you guys know how it goes.
Mar 29, 2010
797 posts
184 upvotes
bumped another car in the back
got a ticket for $450 ticket for careless driving
Police said we can go to see a prosecutor or take it to court
Which one should we choose and what are we going to say? I mean we explained the situation to the officer and he said as long as you bump from the back, it means you didn't leave any distance in so we are fault.. Sooo, what's the point to go to court?
I know the money charge can be dropped a little, but how about the demerit points??? Thanks..

Also what about the companies that fight for these tickets?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11182 posts
4398 upvotes
Toronto
jjege wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 12:05 pm
bumped another car in the back
got a ticket for $450 ticket for careless driving
Police said we can go to see a prosecutor or take it to court
Which one should we choose and what are we going to say? I mean we explained the situation to the officer and he said as long as you bump from the back, it means you didn't leave any distance in so we are fault.. Sooo, what's the point to go to court?
I know the money charge can be dropped a little, but how about the demerit points??? Thanks..

Also what about the companies that fight for these tickets?
careless is a big fine and 6 points I think...not to mention the huge insurance premium increase.

Try to get it reduced to something with less points.
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11182 posts
4398 upvotes
Toronto
samjad wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 10:27 am
The cop is saying you rolled through, so your defence of the cop not being able to see the stop line won't work.

You would have to be able to say the cop couldn't see the intersection and only saw me as I was accellerating away from a complete stop.
Mar 29, 2010
797 posts
184 upvotes
MS MSP wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 12:14 pm
careless is a big fine and 6 points I think...not to mention the huge insurance premium increase.

Try to get it reduced to something with less points.
So court or prosecutor?
What about ticket fighting companies for these things?
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
11182 posts
4398 upvotes
Toronto
jjege wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 12:19 pm
So court or prosecutor? What about ticket fighting companies for these things?
are they not one and the same?

You have 3 options on the back of the ticket right?

1. Guilty
2. Guilty with an explanation
3. Not gulity. request a trial/court date.

The prosecutor is only seen in court...so request a trial.

I have no experience with ticket fighters. If yo uhave read this thread and are confident you can do it yourself, go nuts.

if not, hire a paralegal
Jul 24, 2007
81 posts
Mississauga
Im a little confused about filling an 11b. I received a traffic ticket for careless driving on febuary 20th 2014. I requested disclosure and got it. Today when I had my trial i plead not guilty. The JOP decided to adjourn my trial until February 4th 2015 because there was not enough time to proceed with trials today. Can i fill an 11b?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8359 posts
5705 upvotes
Markham
icilii wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 6:25 am
I have a ticket that says 70 in a 60 zone, but it was reduced by the officer from 90 in 60.
If I request a trial, and obtain disclosure, and go to the court on the date and determine I'm not likely to win because the officer showed up and other reasons, can I still plead guilty to the charge as written (70 in 60) and just pay the fine?
I don't think anyone is going to reduce your ticket. It has already been reduced. You can still fight the charge if you want.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8359 posts
5705 upvotes
Markham
joseph_p wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 1:19 pm
Im a little confused about filling an 11b. I received a traffic ticket for careless driving on febuary 20th 2014. I requested disclosure and got it. Today when I had my trial i plead not guilty. The JOP decided to adjourn my trial until February 4th 2015 because there was not enough time to proceed with trials today. Can i fill an 11b?
Yes you can. It takes at least 1 month ahead of time to file 11B. So give yourself some latitude. Remember to file late December. Go to page 1 to see how to file, it's not that straight forward.
Oct 2, 2014
4 posts
York, ON
icilii wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 6:25 am
I have a ticket that says 70 in a 60 zone, but it was reduced by the officer from 90 in 60.
If I request a trial, and obtain disclosure, and go to the court on the date and determine I'm not likely to win because the officer showed up and other reasons, can I still plead guilty to the charge as written (70 in 60) and just pay the fine?
Anikiri wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 2:35 pm
I don't think anyone is going to reduce your ticket. It has already been reduced. You can still fight the charge if you want.
The only way I can get disclosure is to request a trial right?
So I'd like to see the evidence against me, and then if it is solid, and the officer shows and I have a timely trial scheduled, then I would like to concede and plead guilty to the charge of 10 over without the risk of it being upped back to 30.
That is possible correct?
Oct 12, 2007
12 posts
2 upvotes
hello. I'm looking for some help understanding my rights as they pertain to this case.

I received a parking ticket "park prohibited time no permit" offence date may 4 2014.

I filed a notice of intention to appear in court on June 17th the last day to file this request. I said yes to challenging the evidence.

I just received on oct 1 in the mail a notice of trial for nov 14 2014 in scarborough which I won't be able to attend.
The notice was signed by the clerk on sept 26th.

Are these timelines reasonable? Do I need to request disclosure or can I jump straight to 11b? Is any of this relevant as I won't be able to attend on nov 14?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3047 posts
338 upvotes
Toronto
polecatt wrote:
Oct 4th, 2014 9:48 am
hello. I'm looking for some help understanding my rights as they pertain to this case.

I received a parking ticket "park prohibited time no permit" offence date may 4 2014.

I filed a notice of intention to appear in court on June 17th the last day to file this request. I said yes to challenging the evidence.

I just received on oct 1 in the mail a notice of trial for nov 14 2014 in scarborough which I won't be able to attend.
The notice was signed by the clerk on sept 26th.

Are these timelines reasonable? Do I need to request disclosure or can I jump straight to 11b? Is any of this relevant as I won't be able to attend on nov 14?
An 11b is for when your trial is more than 10+ months from the time that you got your ticket. In your case, there's no way you're going to jump straight to 11b since your trial is only six months from when you got your ticket.

If you can't attend your first trial date, it's even less likely that you'll be able to use an 11b defence as the reason for the delay is that you can't attend the trial.
Jan 23, 2007
178 posts
37 upvotes
London
Just got a ticket for doing 69 in a 50. Cop showed me the radar as 74 but dropped it to 69...? Anyways, the road transitions from a 50 to a 60, and I had thought I was doing 69 in a 60. I asked what the demerit points are (first ticket), he said 2. I know it's 3, so he either lied or didn't know what he's talking about. The fine is the standard $2.50 per km up to 19 over, so he simply saved me a few bucks, but not demerits. I *****ed up, I admit it. However, what are my chances if I take this ticket and fight it to get to 15km over? I believe option 3 is the right one?

Thanks in advance