Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Oct 5, 2014
1 posts
Victoria Beach, MB
I got a ticket in september in manitoba for speeding today I noticed that among numerous errors on the ticket the date of offence is today not the sept date what I'm wondering should I point it out to clerk when I plead not guilty or keep quite and hope the cop testifies to the wrong date at trial
Aug 24, 2014
4 posts
Saskatoon, SK
Hi, I appeared for first court that was on back of the ticket today in Saskatchewan, I pleaded not guilty and asked for a trial, then the prosecutor told me there was a video of infraction (U turn on light controlled intersection) and if I wanted to see it first in 25 days from now and then decide if I still wanted a trial date. I said I would like to see it. Now, no mater what video will show I will still request trial and argue due diligence because as a foreign driver in Canada with Canadian driver's license nowadays I wasn't aware U turn was prohibited on light controlled intersections, because in Europe it isn't unless specified with sign.

Questions i have:
1. How likely i could get away if I argue due diligence and what else can I argue?
2. Will trial inflate amount that i will need to pay if found guilty? (court costs)
3. If I request translator , which I'm pretty sure they will have trouble finding for Croatian language in Saskatchewan will that cost me more after the trial if found guilty?
4. If they are unable to find one how does that reflect everything?
Oct 5, 2014
1 posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the excellent thread. I got a ticket on the US side near the border for going 67 on a 45. I pretty much had the worst day of my life and was just following traffic. I swear noone was doing under 60, but apparently the radar gun hit me at my highest, amen.

So long story short, what do I do now. The officer was the harshest I've seen and did not even lower the ticket. In front of a ticket it says you have til (16 days from now) to email this ticket in, but then in "Plead not guilty" it says you must mail it in within 48 hrs... so confusing.

I called somekind of lawyer in the states that fights traffic tickets and he told me Im facing a fine of btw $697-997. He said he's confident he can bring it down to ~$250 and his services would be $500. Im pretty confused on what to do.

If I request a trial and go there, will they give me a deal, like they usually do in Ontario.
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
665 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
hey got pulled over today got ticket for suspended licence..

i had to reinstate my licence 10 days ago and i forgot about it so now police give me ticket but he said he will wave it of if i go get my licence reinstated today ... thats if i decide it to fight it .

will he actually do it on trial day if i have my copy of proof that i did?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2011
3047 posts
340 upvotes
Toronto
sndeal wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 2:16 am

i had to reinstate my licence 10 days ago and i forgot about it so now police give me ticket but he said he will wave it of if i go get my licence reinstated today ... thats if i decide it to fight it .

Highly unlikely. The moment the officer gave you the ticket it's almost impossible for him to decide to waive it. You will actually need to fight the charge, which to most insurance companies is considered major.
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
665 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
joepoonie wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 7:12 am
Highly unlikely. The moment the officer gave you the ticket it's almost impossible for him to decide to waive it. You will actually need to fight the charge, which to most insurance companies is considered major.
not wave he said he will drop the charge without fine. Same thing maybe ?
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8756 posts
6470 upvotes
Markham
icilii wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2014 3:23 pm
The only way I can get disclosure is to request a trial right?
So I'd like to see the evidence against me, and then if it is solid, and the officer shows and I have a timely trial scheduled, then I would like to concede and plead guilty to the charge of 10 over without the risk of it being upped back to 30.
That is possible correct?
Yes the only way to receive disclosure is to claim not guilty and go to trial.

You can plead guilty at trial or you can simply not show up (which means you're guilty). I suggest you get disclosure and show up and see if they will reduce it further, although I don't think that will happen.

Maybe you get lucky and the prosecution will postpone your trial to 10 months + and you can file 11B.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8756 posts
6470 upvotes
Markham
K85 wrote:
Oct 4th, 2014 2:04 pm
Just got a ticket for doing 69 in a 50. Cop showed me the radar as 74 but dropped it to 69...? Anyways, the road transitions from a 50 to a 60, and I had thought I was doing 69 in a 60. I asked what the demerit points are (first ticket), he said 2. I know it's 3, so he either lied or didn't know what he's talking about. The fine is the standard $2.50 per km up to 19 over, so he simply saved me a few bucks, but not demerits. I *****ed up, I admit it. However, what are my chances if I take this ticket and fight it to get to 15km over? I believe option 3 is the right one?

Thanks in advance
Your chances are good that they will reduce it further. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8756 posts
6470 upvotes
Markham
peptoboy wrote:
Oct 5th, 2014 11:29 pm
My close friend got summoned to appear in court for s.84(1) "Driving an unsafe vehicle on the highway". His car tyre came off on the highway. He thinks it was not his fault. He has been driving car for 15 years with clean record. He regularly get the car serviced. He has all the records to prove that. He wants to fight the ticket herself because he thinks how can he know how the tire came off from his car? He went to mechanic three months before for service and tyre change. The cops asked him about the mechanic and he told them the same thing. The mechanic says he is not responsible because he was driving the car in these months with no complaints about tyres.

What to do now? What should he expect on the date mentioned on the summon in the court? What will prosecutor do? He is not willing to hire anyone at this stage unless required. What should be done?
This is an odd ticket. Not sure how to fight it. I suggest you go to trial, do not take any plea bargains, and explain the issue with the JP. Issue all the relevant receipts of car upkeep and hope the JP dismisses the charges. Good luck.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8756 posts
6470 upvotes
Markham
Vegeta106 wrote:
Oct 6th, 2014 10:26 am
I got a ticket in september in manitoba for speeding today I noticed that among numerous errors on the ticket the date of offence is today not the sept date what I'm wondering should I point it out to clerk when I plead not guilty or keep quite and hope the cop testifies to the wrong date at trial
Plead not guilty. The wrong date won't absolve you.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8756 posts
6470 upvotes
Markham
specnaz wrote:
Oct 6th, 2014 12:12 pm
Hi, I appeared for first court that was on back of the ticket today in Saskatchewan, I pleaded not guilty and asked for a trial, then the prosecutor told me there was a video of infraction (U turn on light controlled intersection) and if I wanted to see it first in 25 days from now and then decide if I still wanted a trial date. I said I would like to see it. Now, no mater what video will show I will still request trial and argue due diligence because as a foreign driver in Canada with Canadian driver's license nowadays I wasn't aware U turn was prohibited on light controlled intersections, because in Europe it isn't unless specified with sign.

Questions i have:
1. How likely i could get away if I argue due diligence and what else can I argue?
2. Will trial inflate amount that i will need to pay if found guilty? (court costs)
3. If I request translator , which I'm pretty sure they will have trouble finding for Croatian language in Saskatchewan will that cost me more after the trial if found guilty?
4. If they are unable to find one how does that reflect everything?
1. Nothing, you might get a reduced sentence but you will still have to pay.
2. Will not be inflated. You will most likely pay less.
3. No cost for translator, they will find a translator no problem. If translator does not show up, you win.
4. If translator is unavailable, then you win. But they will find one.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8756 posts
6470 upvotes
Markham
Hitman4Life wrote:
Oct 6th, 2014 11:12 pm
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the excellent thread. I got a ticket on the US side near the border for going 67 on a 45. I pretty much had the worst day of my life and was just following traffic. I swear noone was doing under 60, but apparently the radar gun hit me at my highest, amen.

So long story short, what do I do now. The officer was the harshest I've seen and did not even lower the ticket. In front of a ticket it says you have til (16 days from now) to email this ticket in, but then in "Plead not guilty" it says you must mail it in within 48 hrs... so confusing.

I called somekind of lawyer in the states that fights traffic tickets and he told me Im facing a fine of btw $697-997. He said he's confident he can bring it down to ~$250 and his services would be $500. Im pretty confused on what to do.

If I request a trial and go there, will they give me a deal, like they usually do in Ontario.
Call the prosecution office of that county and tell them you plan on pleading not guilty. Tell them you are unable to attend court and you are unwilling to pay for a representative since you live too far away. From there on, negotiate a plea deal with the prosecution. Your best case scenario is to have this dismissed as a couple parking violations. But most likely they will just give you a lesser charge, maybe 10 over 45 or illegal left turn. Pay that ticket.

If this offense happened in NYS then your insurance will know about it in Ontario. If it happened in Michigan, then your insurance might know about it.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8756 posts
6470 upvotes
Markham
sndeal wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 2:16 am

Do what he said. You got caught. Do what he says.
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
665 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
joepoonie wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 7:12 am
I m at service Ontario right now . But let's say he doesn't drop the charges on a trial day . And I have to fight how do I go about fighting this. My licence was good just need it to reinstate but at the time I didn't.. can play dumb here ?
Penalty Box
Sep 29, 2012
665 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Oct 7th, 2014 11:15 am
Do what he said. You got caught. Do what he says.
He gave me ticket and said to get out of the ticket. Choice 2 or 3. For 2nd he/she show them the proof u got it done the next day and they will drop it . Same for 3 meet him before the trial and he will dope it. So will this actually happened ?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)