Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1787 upvotes
wanggouyong wrote:
Jan 8th, 2015 2:18 pm
Hi, there,
I got a speeding ticket at Sep 14th, 2014 (76 KM/H in a 50KM/H zone) and another one (fail to have insurance card). Actually I did carried an old card and tried to find the updated one in my car and the office did not let me to have more time to search. He just asked: did you have it? I said I have it but I need time to look for it and he said showed to the court and they will dropped it.

Then I went to the court 17th to request a trial. At the same time, I change the address on my dirver’s licence, my home address, to my working address for future corresponding.

So until now, Jan 8th, 2015, I have not got anything from the mail, no trial date, no anything, and neither at my working address or my home address.

What shall I do? Do I need to write a letter to them to check, which kind of remind them? Or do I call them? What if the letter lost in the mailing process, will that be my fault?
yes, it will be your fault
you are supposed to inquire about the status of the tickets. call the court and ask them
Jan 7, 2015
5 posts
North York, ON
Thanks Vero95. Do i need to write a lette so that it will be on file? or calling is OK?
Dec 29, 2007
356 posts
167 upvotes
wanggouyong wrote:
Jan 8th, 2015 2:18 pm
Hi, there,
I got a speeding ticket at Sep 14th, 2014 (76 KM/H in a 50KM/H zone) and another one (fail to have insurance card). Actually I did carried an old card and tried to find the updated one in my car and the office did not let me to have more time to search. He just asked: did you have it? I said I have it but I need time to look for it and he said showed to the court and they will dropped it.

Then I went to the court 17th to request a trial. At the same time, I change the address on my dirver’s licence, my home address, to my working address for future corresponding.

So until now, Jan 8th, 2015, I have not got anything from the mail, no trial date, no anything, and neither at my working address or my home address.

What shall I do? Do I need to write a letter to them to check, which kind of remind them? Or do I call them? What if the letter lost in the mailing process, will that be my fault?
Which court did you go to? I have been advised by the 1530 Markham Road court that the notice could take anywhere from 4-6 months.
Jan 7, 2015
5 posts
North York, ON
noproblem wrote:
Jan 9th, 2015 12:10 pm
Which court did you go to? I have been advised by the 1530 Markham Road court that the notice could take anywhere from 4-6 months.
i went to 137 Edward Street, which is Dundas and University, downtown.
Jan 6, 2005
70 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
thanks for starting this amazing thread, im sure it's been helpful for many others like myself

Any tips/advice for a speeding violation?

caught 71 km in 50 zone during October 2014, filed for trial, got notice just yesterday for feb trial date, filed request for disclosure, today went to reschedule trial because im outta country in feb, now set to march, and during the process they just handed me the disclosure material, neatly written notes (legible), radar manual, mentioned tested radar, qualified, and it was a sunny day, no weather issues

doesn't look like i can fight technicalities, any other ideas? much appreciated
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12314 posts
4126 upvotes
Toronto, ON
old_type wrote:
Jan 9th, 2015 12:38 pm
thanks for starting this amazing thread, im sure it's been helpful for many others like myself

Any tips/advice for a speeding violation?

caught 71 km in 50 zone during October 2014, filed for trial, got notice just yesterday for feb trial date, filed request for disclosure, today went to reschedule trial because im outta country in feb, now set to march, and during the process they just handed me the disclosure material, neatly written notes (legible), radar manual, mentioned tested radar, qualified, and it was a sunny day, no weather issues

doesn't look like i can fight technicalities, any other ideas? much appreciated
Just hope by rescheduling, your case might be the only case for that officer for that day and he decides not to show. It's probably the only way you can get the ticket tossed.
Oct 24, 2006
648 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
WaterBelow wrote:
Jan 8th, 2015 4:43 pm
Question:

My wife got a traffic ticket in late August - early September. We went to the ministry of transportation, filed an appeal/court date so that we could fight it. Hadn't heard anything back from them since (and our fault for not pursuing it). Today she got a letter in the mail saying her license has been suspended. Called the ministry court, she said she has two options...

1) Pay the ticket $135. Four days from then, pay the suspension fee $150.
or
2) Have a meeting with the prosecutor, see if they will waive the fee... Of course, she has to apply for a meeting. Meaning, even then it is not a for sure thing.

Wife needs her license for work. Are these the only options? Seems unfair hoops to jump through given the error was on their end.

(first time posting on a forum, forgive me if I am doing it wrong)
The license is suspended because the ticket was entered as a guilty - no matter the fault, they always tell you to check in if you had not heard anything. In any case, what ever route you decide to take, make sure your wife does NOT drive while under suspension - this is very hard to fight and a conviction is a criminal charge.

If the license is needed for work, pay it and go on your way.

Hope that helps.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1787 upvotes
wanggouyong wrote:
Jan 9th, 2015 11:42 am
Thanks Vero95. Do i need to write a lette so that it will be on file? or calling is OK?
calling will be fine. ask if the trial was scheduled and if not, tell them about the address change
many people get convicted in absentia and then have their license suspended without even knowing it
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2009
12732 posts
1787 upvotes
WaterBelow wrote:
Question:

My wife got a traffic ticket in late August - early September. We went to the ministry of transportation, filed an appeal/court date so that we could fight it. Hadn't heard anything back from them since (and our fault for not pursuing it). Today she got a letter in the mail saying her license has been suspended. Called the ministry court, she said she has two options...

or
2) Have a meeting with the prosecutor, see if they will waive the fee... Of course, she has to apply for a meeting. Meaning, even then it is not a for sure thing.

Wife needs her license for work. Are these the only options? Seems unfair hoops to jump through given the error was on their end.

I think there is another option: you can reopen the case
you need to do some reading about that or go to the court an inquire. I believe her license might be reinstated now while waiting for the trial but she will need to pay the fine
Oct 30, 2014
3 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey all,

I got a ticket back in August 2014 for turning right during a time when I couldn't in Toronto. Court date was set for November and I filed for disclosure in September. I appeared at the first court date and was given a new trial date in February 2015 since I picked up my disclosure that day. The officer was available to explain his notes to me and I get the feeling he'll be there for the 2nd court date. Is there any chance I can get the ticket reduced in points/fee by talking to the prosecutor before the trial?

Thanks!
Jan 8, 2015
1 posts
Montreal, QC
Hi djino,

I was ticketed for "Driving While Suspended" when a cop car followed us to my apartment complex and approached me in the parking lot as I was finishing unloading groceries. I wasn't the driver my father was (he went in to use the washroom), but I get nervous around law enforcement and this cop took advantage of that and bullied me into accepting this ticket. He was unstable and I was understandably nervous since it was just me and him and he had a gun.

There are a number of things that bother me with this case: 1) He couldn't see the driver since it was early in the AM and pitch black outside, my windows are tinted and the car's black inside & out. 2) There was no way he could see me/ my father parking & exiting the car because of how far back he was. The cop car was still making his turn onto our street by the time we parked so he couldn't see the driver. 3) He assumed I was driving without ever asking and bullied me into answering his questions 4) He had no reason to pull me over/ approach me 5) His approach occurred on private property in my parking lot & I have my father and girlfriend as witnesses

I would appreciate any advice as I make my 1st appearance soon, I feel like I should hire a paralegal/lawyer considering the seriousness of the situation but am uncertain.
Dec 26, 2009
694 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
WaterBelow wrote:
Question:

or

The only option at this point is to pay it. The reopening time limit has passed and so has the Appeal time. Once paid she will be pending reinstatment and 3 to 4 days she will be fine but if she really really wants to have her day in court she will need to file an extension of time to appeal etc. it's a longer process.
Jul 17, 2011
4 posts
Milton
Hi there,

Hoping for some advice here. I received a speeding ticket in Mississauga on February 22, 2014, after being pulled over for travelling 72 km/h in a 50 km/h zone (I asked the officer once he pulled me over if he was certain that it was me and he didn't answer, but anyway). He reduced the ticket to 60 in a 50, $45 fine. I immediately requested an early resolution, which was booked for August 27th, 2014.

At the beginning of July 2014, I submitted a request for disclosure. The options were to have it emailed to me, or faxed, or I pick it up from their office. I chose email for convenience, but it didn't come (and yes I frequently monitor my junk mail). I went to the early resolution meeting and plead not guilty and indicated I want to go to trial. The prosecutor had in her notes that she received my disclosure request. She didn't say why it wasn't sent to me, but simply suggested that I submit another request now that I'm going to trial. The trial date was set soon after for February 3rd, 2015. So I submitted another disclosure request as soon as I received that notification (September 30th), but after the average 4-6 week timeframe to wait, the disclosure still had not come. So I tried once again to submit a disclosure request on December 3rd.

Finally, after requesting it three separate times, the disclosure came three days ago (January 6th) by email. So it's one thing that they made me wait until less than a month before my trial to send it, but another problem is the quality of the disclosure. It simply consists of two small photocopied pages from the officer's journal, terribly illegible. I don't quite know what it says at all, I can just barely make out my name and the ticket number. And as far as I can tell from trying to decipher the jibberish, he doesn't mention the radar equipment used. No manual or information about the radar was provided.

So my question is, how should I proceed? Obviously I need to be able to read the disclosure to prepare for the trial, but I can't. And now that we're less than a month away from trial, I'm certain I won't get it in time if I request to have another one sent to me in type-form. Any suggestions on what I should say to the prosecutor?

Thanks in advance! :)
Dec 26, 2009
694 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
damku wrote:
Jan 10th, 2015 1:18 am
Hi there,

Hoping for some advice here. I received a speeding ticket in Mississauga on February 22, 2014, after being pulled over for travelling 72 km/h in a 50 km/h zone (I asked the officer once he pulled me over if he was certain that it was me and he didn't answer, but anyway). He reduced the ticket to 60 in a 50, $45 fine. I immediately requested an early resolution, which was booked for August 27th, 2014.

At the beginning of July 2014, I submitted a request for disclosure. The options were to have it emailed to me, or faxed, or I pick it up from their office. I chose email for convenience, but it didn't come (and yes I frequently monitor my junk mail). I went to the early resolution meeting and plead not guilty and indicated I want to go to trial. The prosecutor had in her notes that she received my disclosure request. She didn't say why it wasn't sent to me, but simply suggested that I submit another request now that I'm going to trial. The trial date was set soon after for February 3rd, 2015. So I submitted another disclosure request as soon as I received that notification (September 30th), but after the average 4-6 week timeframe to wait, the disclosure still had not come. So I tried once again to submit a disclosure request on December 3rd.

Finally, after requesting it three separate times, the disclosure came three days ago (January 6th) by email. So it's one thing that they made me wait until less than a month before my trial to send it, but another problem is the quality of the disclosure. It simply consists of two small photocopied pages from the officer's journal, terribly illegible. I don't quite know what it says at all, I can just barely make out my name and the ticket number. And as far as I can tell from trying to decipher the jibberish, he doesn't mention the radar equipment used. No manual or information about the radar was provided.

So my question is, how should I proceed? Obviously I need to be able to read the disclosure to prepare for the trial, but I can't. And now that we're less than a month away from trial, I'm certain I won't get it in time if I request to have another one sent to me in type-form. Any suggestions on what I should say to the prosecutor?

Thanks in advance! :)
The reason they never sent it to you in the first place was because you booked an early resolution which is essentially "guilty with an explanation".no need for disclosure if your going to plead guilty!

There is plenty of time to request "additional disclosure" in which you can specify typed notes, manuals etc.

As long as you have all your request transmissions it will show the court that you tried on several occasions and as soon as you received the date to get the info.
Sep 29, 2007
513 posts
105 upvotes
Port Colborne
LJ_Gencoupe wrote:
Jan 7th, 2015 6:19 pm
Hey folks,
As soon as I read "cannot send by mail", I knew it was Niagara. My first disclosure request, they indeed did mail it to me via standard post. The second trial I had, they refused to mail it to me and pulled that *****. Did you have your trial in Welland, St. Catharines or Niagara Falls?

I'm writing a request for disclosure for another PON as we speak.