Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Apr 23, 2015
1 posts
Markham, ON
I received a ticket for going +40km over the speed limit on the 407. The officer dropped it down to 20km over since I had a clean driving record. Should I bother trying to fight the ticket (eg. trial / early resolution). If I go to trial I may be stuck with the +40km over. If I go to early resolution, will they drop it even further to 0 demerit points?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Oct 25, 2011
213 posts
11 upvotes
vuitton wrote:
Apr 24th, 2015 1:36 pm
I received a ticket for going +40km over the speed limit on the 407. The officer dropped it down to 20km over since I had a clean driving record. Should I bother trying to fight the ticket (eg. trial / early resolution). If I go to trial I may be stuck with the +40km over. If I go to early resolution, will they drop it even further to 0 demerit points?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Negotiated settlement is a possibility, yes.
Jul 9, 2009
1 posts
ef
Anyone knows what to do with the parking ticket from the city of Vaughan? City of Vaughan has introduced a new system - the administrative monetary penalty (AMP) program. So I haven't actually received a ticket but a Penalty Notice; and was waiting for the Notice of impending conviction. However, received PAST DUE NOTICE which doesn't indicate any option to request a trial. Please, anyone, help with how to go to court with this because I want to dispute it in the court...
Apr 24, 2015
2 posts
Newmarket, ON
I was doing 160

Officer reduced to 150 so my car would not get impounded

Admitted I was speeding and apologized

Officer told me to go to court to fight it so it could be reduced

I go to court on Friday.

If I ask for the mercy of the court and request reduced or removed demerit points what are the chances that could happen??

I don't care about the fine. The points are my worry.

Any advice would be amazing. If it even matters I am a female. 35 years old. Only one other speeding ticket two years ago. That one was for 65 in a 50.

I have never been to court before.
Apr 3, 2015
71 posts
33 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
LP10101 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2015 10:27 pm
I was doing 160

Officer reduced to 150 so my car would not get impounded

Admitted I was speeding and apologized

Officer told me to go to court to fight it so it could be reduced

I go to court on Friday.

If I ask for the mercy of the court and request reduced or removed demerit points what are the chances that could happen??

I don't care about the fine. The points are my worry.

Any advice would be amazing. If it even matters I am a female. 35 years old. Only one other speeding ticket two years ago. That one was for 65 in a 50.

I have never been to court before.
Here's what you're going to do:

You really needed to not admit you were speeding. However, this seems to have saved you from getting an excessive speeding ticket. The claim that the officer told you to go to court to fight it is interesting. In his position, he basically has to give you a ticket because he could be found liable for damages if something adverse happened based on your aggressive driving (you may have hit someone or something 5 minutes before you rolled up on his radar, etc.). Of course he doesn't know what you were really up to so he needs to issue you a ticket. I think you asking for the "mercy" of the court is absurd. Nobody gives a crap about you, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You were clocked going 150 and you admitted you were speeding: that's aggressive driving and endangers people. Because you were going so fast, I don't think you're going to get any "mercy", just persecuted. If you were going 8 or 10 over the speed limit on a highway, then maybe the court will have "mercy" on you and you could take this approach. With the way it is, you're a lamb being led to a slaughter. Remember something little lady, the courts can actually INCREASE your charge with cause of course. Did you know that the provincial court can detain you until trial if the trial is delayed? You have no idea how much power the court has. You have no idea what you're doing in court. Of course they won't detain people over traffic tickets, but the point is made: you don't know the law.

The best thing you can hope for is that the Police Officer won't show or that they will strike a deal with you before trial at the court. You should call the officer now immediately and work on a resolution BEFORE Friday. Tell him this will screw you and your life and that you can't get the points. Ask if he can reduce it to a lessor offence... but because you were going so fast, I think that's tough. The JP is the only one who would likely be able to do that. Anyway, get on the blower and talk to the officer immediately as discussed.

I do not see you having any hope of using traditional methods to fight your ticket at this juncture.

This advice is given in the context of you posting very little information. We don't know the details of how, when, and where you were stopped.
Apr 24, 2015
2 posts
Newmarket, ON
mapledude wrote:
Apr 26th, 2015 5:43 pm
Here's what you're going to do:

You really needed to not admit you were speeding. However, this seems to have saved you from getting an excessive speeding ticket. The claim that the officer told you to go to court to fight it is interesting. In his position, he basically has to give you a ticket because he could be found liable for damages if something adverse happened based on your aggressive driving (you may have hit someone or something 5 minutes before you rolled up on his radar, etc.). Of course he doesn't know what you were really up to so he needs to issue you a ticket. I think you asking for the "mercy" of the court is absurd. Nobody gives a crap about you, sorry to be the bearer of bad news. You were clocked going 150 and you admitted you were speeding: that's aggressive driving and endangers people. Because you were going so fast, I don't think you're going to get any "mercy", just persecuted. If you were going 8 or 10 over the speed limit on a highway, then maybe the court will have "mercy" on you and you could take this approach. With the way it is, you're a lamb being led to a slaughter. Remember something little lady, the courts can actually INCREASE your charge with cause of course. Did you know that the provincial court can detain you until trial if the trial is delayed? You have no idea how much power the court has. You have no idea what you're doing in court. Of course they won't detain people over traffic tickets, but the point is made: you don't know the law.

The best thing you can hope for is that the Police Officer won't show or that they will strike a deal with you before trial at the court. You should call the officer now immediately and work on a resolution BEFORE Friday. Tell him this will screw you and your life and that you can't get the points. Ask if he can reduce it to a lessor offence... but because you were going so fast, I think that's tough. The JP is the only one who would likely be able to do that. Anyway, get on the blower and talk to the officer immediately as discussed.

I do not see you having any hope of using traditional methods to fight your ticket at this juncture.

This advice is given in the context of you posting very little information. We don't know the details of how, when, and where you were stopped.
I really appreciate your reply. I feel pretty stupid for having gone that fast.

I'm a trained driver ... until recently I held a BZ licence. I have no excuse other than that I had just ended a 6 year relationship and I was pretty miserable and not keeping track of how fast I was going. I was on the 404 fairly late at night and there weren't many other cars around.

I know my excuse isn't an excuse. I don't normally speed. I was tired and sad and not paying attention, thinking about life ... and without other traffic around to judge my pacing I was zoning out.

How am I supposed to contact the officer? Do I just call the station and explain myself and give them the ticket number? It's hard to read his name on the ticket.

If I go to court and just plead guilty will I just end up paying the amount on the ticket? What's the likelihood that they will INCREASE my fine?

Basically I'm terrified.

Thanks again for replying.
Oct 25, 2011
213 posts
11 upvotes
LP10101 wrote:
Apr 26th, 2015 5:59 pm
I really appreciate your reply. I feel pretty stupid for having gone that fast.

I'm a trained driver ... until recently I held a BZ licence. I have no excuse other than that I had just ended a 6 year relationship and I was pretty miserable and not keeping track of how fast I was going. I was on the 404 fairly late at night and there weren't many other cars around.

I know my excuse isn't an excuse. I don't normally speed. I was tired and sad and not paying attention, thinking about life ... and without other traffic around to judge my pacing I was zoning out.

How am I supposed to contact the officer? Do I just call the station and explain myself and give them the ticket number? It's hard to read his name on the ticket.

If I go to court and just plead guilty will I just end up paying the amount on the ticket? What's the likelihood that they will INCREASE my fine?

Basically I'm terrified.

Thanks again for replying.
I don't say this often here. But I recommend you get professional help to fight your traffic ticket.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
3305 posts
2693 upvotes
The NORTH
Quick question; I got a ticket for going 55 in a 40 zone. Was clocked doing 62. Planning on fighting the ticket in court.

Officer told me that if I fought it I would be charged with the original 62, not the marked down 55. Smells like BS to me, how could he charge me with one thing and penalize me with a higher charge if I decide to fight the ticket?

**Sped up to merge right as there was a city bus making a left from my lane and right lane was full. Absolutely was going over the limit as I needed to merge over...
Deal Guru
Aug 26, 2002
12307 posts
4119 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kr0zet wrote:
Apr 27th, 2015 12:51 pm
Quick question; I got a ticket for going 55 in a 40 zone. Was clocked doing 62. Planning on fighting the ticket in court.

Officer told me that if I fought it I would be charged with the original 62, not the marked down 55. Smells like BS to me, how could he charge me with one thing and penalize me with a higher charge if I decide to fight the ticket?

**Sped up to merge right as there was a city bus making a left from my lane and right lane was full. Absolutely was going over the limit as I needed to merge over...
Not BS... a reduction will be noted on your ticket with a 'R'. Also, your original speed may be recorded in the officer's notes. You will need to request disclosure to see if it is mentioned. And if you tell the justice what you said here "Absolutely was going over the limit as I needed to merge over..." then you will be convicted. Because speeding is an absolute liability offence.
Oct 25, 2011
213 posts
11 upvotes
kr0zet wrote:
Apr 27th, 2015 12:51 pm

The point of officer reductions is to lower congestion in court.
Apr 27, 2015
1 posts
Montr
I was not attentive and soon a big SUV came on my side after a none blinking station was passed, he saw in my mirror I was not wearing my seatbelt as I often do in quebec driving trucks, highway cops dont care, stoped me at Glengarry after motioning my belt I then put on but still stoped me to inspect my trailer. I did say I often did'nt use it and not harassed in quebec where I usual stay in. I was spotted because my tall rolls of wires with straps and chains , I saw other drivers without....

My name is written as Marc Ste-Maries as driving licence but not correct as it is Sainte-Marie legally.
He apparently wrote on report I say I dont wear in often, and not bother in Quebec

_"Driver - fail to properly wear seat belt"

Over 15 days but court told me I had 45 day to act.
Jan 5, 2015
5 posts
Mississauga, ON
Quick question. I have an early resolution meeting scheduled for May 11th. I just received a job offer in Northern Ontario with a start date a week from now. First thing I did was call the court house about moving it forward or back as it's the only loose end I have left to tie here. The response I received was to show up to the court and speak with the prosecutor in the morning and it's up to them.

My question is whether it is possible that the prosecutor will hear my out and negotiate a deal if I show up unannounced? Or is this not likely and I will have to wait until my original date?
Apr 27, 2015
1 posts
Toronto, ON
Please let me know what to do at the meeting with prosecutor?
In March I was driving westbound on Hwy7. The sun was setting down so I had direct sun in my eyes. After single lane the highway changed into two-lane with more residential/business activity since I was approaching city. I was driving in the right lane. When I noticed something on the right shoulder (sun still shining in my direction slightly above horizon), I reduced speed and then notice flashing light. Since I was in slower lane and was afraid that cars behind have also reduced visibility because of sun glare I didn't feel safe to change lane suddenly. I was cautiously approaching, and checking if I could safely move to left lane, when all of a sudden the parked car door opened and a human figure , jumped out of the vehicle with outstretched arm. I saw a human silhouette in my lane and started breaking. When I got closer I noticed police officer in my lane, in front of me still holding his arm so I signaled and stopped on the shoulder few meters behind his car. When he came to my car he asked: why did you stop?
I tried to explain what I saw and that it wasn’t safe to make lane change, but he said since I stopped he has to write ticket. Later I noticed another police car and towing truck ahead of me on the shoulder.
I'm scheduled to see prosecutor and I'm very afraid how the meeting will go. How I can reduce my charge?
Apr 27, 2015
2 posts
I was found guilty for a couple of parking tickets that I contested yesterday, but I'd like to know if the judge was as full of S#it as I think she was or if I'm imagining things.
The background is that I parked on a street to spend the weekend near by. The sign only sign posted there was "no stopping monday to friday from 9-12 and from 4-7". I know this because I walked a block in either direction to check the parking restrictions. I left the car there from Friday at 7:30pm until Sunday morning. Upon my return I found 2 tickets issued for parking in a space longer then 4 hours. At this point I backtracked up the street 3 blocks -- (830 METERS!!!) to find a sign that indicated the 4 hour parking restriction and it was partially covered by a tree branch. I took photographic evidence. The sign was immediately after a merge and traveling at the speed limit I calculated that even when not obscured, the sign would be visible to me for approximately 1.5 seconds. Coupled with the fact that there are often cars parked in the lane that you turn into immediately after the turn and you need to jump over another lane, it's quite unlikely that many people notice the sign while they check their blindspot in the opposite direction.
I presented this to the judge with the photos and her response was that the supreme court dictates that ignorance of the law is no excuse and it is my responsibility to know the parking restrictions of any place that I leave me vehicle. Is it just me or is this completely unfair?
Dec 26, 2009
694 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
If any of you enjoy your right to dispute a traffic ticket by going to court then I would encourage you to express your concerns on the Ministry of Attorney General of Ontario website.

They are looking to impose Administrative Monatary
Penalties which you you will be always guilty and there will be more traffic court as we know it.

Today is the deadline for submissions!!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

jasonnwang