Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Nov 20, 2016
2 posts
OTDLegal wrote: You are correct in that the Speeding offence is a 3 demerit point offence. The Fail To Notify Change of Address offence does not carry a demerit point penalty. If convicted, both offences would be visible on your driving record regardless of the second offence not carrying demerit points. Questions about insurance repercussions are best addressed with your specific insurance company as their is significant variation from company to company. London is one of the few Ontario courts that keeps to a firm 15 day filing period. Most jurisdictions will accept ticket filings for an additional 30 day period, London however does not.

Without seeing disclosure it is not possible to provide feedback at this point on whether there would be a legal argument to have either charge withdrawn. Historically for this court, which I am very familiar with, I would anticipate being able to at least have the 3 demerit point offence reduced to a lesser 0 demerit point offence. There could potentially be an agreement to also withdraw the second offence if you have updated your addressing.
Thanks for the advice. Looking into updating my addressing ASAP, it seems I need my citizenship ID or some such that I have to dig up.

I doubt I will have legal argument to have the charges withdrawn, but would appreciate a reduction in the charge. Would you recommend a trial, or just early meeting with the prosecution? My understanding is that a trial will be 3-6 months later, but what about the early meeting? One of my concerns is exam period (early - mid December) which may conflict.

To my understanding, there's no difference between 0-49km speeding to insurance? IIRC they all count as minor offenses.

Thanks for your help,
- BK
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
burgerkong wrote: I doubt I will have legal argument to have the charges withdrawn, but would appreciate a reduction in the charge. Would you recommend a trial, or just early meeting with the prosecution? My understanding is that a trial will be 3-6 months later, but what about the early meeting? One of my concerns is exam period (early - mid December) which may conflict.

To my understanding, there's no difference between 0-49km speeding to insurance? IIRC they all count as minor offenses.
London Court will likely be more around 6-8 months for a trial date currently. Unfortunately I can't direct a self-represented defendant how to act at court due to liability. Generally however, most matters that I deal with are set to trial and then discussed with the relevant Prosecutor in advance of trial at an early resolution meeting once a disclosure of evidence has been received. For insurance, your most accurate source of information will be to speak with your insurance broker due to the variance between insurance companies in how they assess risk. Hopefully this helps BK.
OTD Ticket Defenders Legal Services. The content of this message is not meant to be legal advice.
Jan 21, 2011
136 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
OTDLegal wrote: A conviction on your driving record will show both the original date of the offence and the final date of conviction.
So which one would you declare to insurance? the original date of offence or final date of conviction (in the case of online quote) and which would insurance companies look at when they see your abstract?

Thanks!!
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
4908 posts
584 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
All most all crashes cops write careless driving.From single car accidents to rear enders.Seems to be the standard these days.
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2611 upvotes
gizmo8 wrote: All most all crashes cops write careless driving.From single car accidents to rear enders.Seems to be the standard these days.
You are correct. In some jurisdictions, police have been directed NOT to write following too close tickets as these are next to impossible to prosecute without direct evidence to substantiate exactly how close someone was following

From the prosecutor point of view, a careless charge is easier to amend or drop down to a lesser offence, like improper lane change/turn not in safety/etc in order to get a pleasure without having to have trial
Jan 2, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
I'm really hoping someone can help me with this please. I just received an automatic generated message from a Stepanie Hitchcock. (Odd you would think it would be Stephanie) It stated-you have been issued with a speed violation-details-negligent driving. Gives me a registered number, date of violation-Nov 8 and amount due of $109.17. It says this fee will be forward to my address and must be paid by Nov 25. It gave me the option of screening the photo proof, but I can't open it to view it. There is no official look to it. I was not pulled over on Nov 8. I was pulled over on Nov 18, but the cop told me, he wasn't giving me a ticket and certainly, didn't hand me one. Any ideas?? Thanks so much!!!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Taj6735 wrote: I'm really hoping someone can help me with this please. I just received an automatic generated message from a Stepanie Hitchcock. (Odd you would think it would be Stephanie) It stated-you have been issued with a speed violation-details-negligent driving. Gives me a registered number, date of violation-Nov 8 and amount due of $109.17. It says this fee will be forward to my address and must be paid by Nov 25. It gave me the option of screening the photo proof, but I can't open it to view it. There is no official look to it. I was not pulled over on Nov 8. I was pulled over on Nov 18, but the cop told me, he wasn't giving me a ticket and certainly, didn't hand me one. Any ideas?? Thanks so much!!!
Considering you don't give a location or anything else... It's pretty hard to give advice. It sounds suspect to me.

C
Jan 2, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Sorry, I was pulled over November 18 401 E just before 427 N near Rexdale. What I wrote, is the whole email I received this morning. If it has to be paid by Friday and I haven't received anything by mail, I'm stumped. Thanks!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Did they give you a contact number or anything? A website? How are you supposed to pay?

And what did the e-mail header look like? What's the e-mail address it was supposedly sent from?

C
Temp. Banned
Jul 11, 2011
4978 posts
3330 upvotes
Ontario
Taj6735 wrote: I'm really hoping someone can help me with this please. I just received an automatic generated message from a Stepanie Hitchcock. (Odd you would think it would be Stephanie) It stated-you have been issued with a speed violation-details-negligent driving. Gives me a registered number, date of violation-Nov 8 and amount due of $109.17. It says this fee will be forward to my address and must be paid by Nov 25. It gave me the option of screening the photo proof, but I can't open it to view it. There is no official look to it. I was not pulled over on Nov 8. I was pulled over on Nov 18, but the cop told me, he wasn't giving me a ticket and certainly, didn't hand me one. Any ideas?? Thanks so much!!!
...sounds this this scam

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-new ... ary-police

I would contact your local fraud department, notify them of the potential scam...hebs
Jan 2, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Thanks for sticking with me CNeufeld! It is the strangest thing! No header, no phone, or website etc. Says it's an automatic generated email, to not reply back, from a Stepanie Hitchcock at an outlook email address. I guess, I'm supposed to wait until they mail it to me? It said, this fee will be forwarded by mail to your address. However you can screen it now. Press here-then it's highlighted photo proof, followed by 9 numbers. I just get an empty page when I click on it. This fine must be honoured within the statutory period of up to 11/25/16. It's a head scratcher for sure.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Taj6735 wrote: Thanks for sticking with me CNeufeld! It is the strangest thing! No header, no phone, or website etc. Says it's an automatic generated email, to not reply back, from a Stepanie Hitchcock at an outlook email address. I guess, I'm supposed to wait until they mail it to me? It said, this fee will be forwarded by mail to your address. However you can screen it now. Press here-then it's highlighted photo proof, followed by 9 numbers. I just get an empty page when I click on it. This fine must be honoured within the statutory period of up to 11/25/16. It's a head scratcher for sure.
Law enforcement and fee collections don't use Outlook e-mail addresses for communication. It's not a head scratcher at that point. It's just a coincident that you were pulled over recently.

C
Jan 2, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Just saw your post Hebsie. That makes much more sense! Glad I couldn't open it. To email it to me today and expect it to be paid in 2 days, was definitely freeking me out. I I hadn't of got pulled over last Friday, I wouldn't have paid any attention. Thanks so much!!! W
Jan 2, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
Thanks CNeufeld!! I feel better now! Appreciate the advice!
Deal Fanatic
May 8, 2002
5863 posts
2611 upvotes
Taj6735 wrote: Thanks for sticking with me CNeufeld! It is the strangest thing! No header, no phone, or website etc. Says it's an automatic generated email, to not reply back, from a Stepanie Hitchcock at an outlook email address. I guess, I'm supposed to wait until they mail it to me? It said, this fee will be forwarded by mail to your address. However you can screen it now. Press here-then it's highlighted photo proof, followed by 9 numbers. I just get an empty page when I click on it. This fine must be honoured within the statutory period of up to 11/25/16. It's a head scratcher for sure.
You got a scam email. Just imagine they bought a list and sent this to 10,000 people. Based on your reaction, having almost paid, imagine if only 1% actually followed through and paid. Guaranteed money, with little to no risk.

That's why most criminals have switched to these tactics these days instead of actually going outside and kicking doors in...
Jan 2, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
joshmxpx wrote: You got a scam email. Just imagine they bought a list and sent this to 10,000 people. Based on your reaction, having almost paid, imagine if only 1% actually followed through and paid. Guaranteed money, with little to no risk.

That's why most criminals have switched to these tactics these days instead of actually going outside and kicking doors in...
Oh I wouldn't have paid it! That's why I came on here first. I've had a lot of help on this forum and definitely wasn't disappointed today! I'm usually not into coincidences, being pulled over last week, I had that doubt in my head. Apparently, this scam has been going around Hamilton too. Thanks again to everyone!!!
Oct 25, 2011
213 posts
11 upvotes

What was the e-mail address?
Nov 22, 2016
2 posts
I just receieved a ticket for disobeyed stoping at a stop sign ticket.
On my way back home from the city I was just entering my town when a car ahead of me rolled slowly through the stop sign. I then rolled up to the stop sign briefly stopped looked right, left , right and when on my way turning left. ( may not have been 3 seconds of a stop and there was also no cars incoming when turning over) Anyways as I slowly continue straight an officer on the next street over rolled up behind me lights flashing so I pulled over. The officer then approached my car and asked me if I knew what I did wrong and proceeded to say no because I didn't think I did. She continued saying that I rolled through the stop sign, than said that she knew the vehicle in front of me rolled through but that I was in her direction (so apparently more accessible to get) . Then finished saying that the police are starting to crack down on people who were rolling through stops signs. She then asked men for the essentials and gave me a ticket.

Is there any point in fighting it, or is it just sorry about my luck.
Jan 2, 2014
21 posts
1 upvote
anusanzonline wrote: What was the e-mail address?
It was rawepl7teak@outlook.com-I couldn't figure out, how to pull header up. The wording on this email, was a little different, than the ones I saw from Calgary and Hamilton, but not much. Just saw City News put up a video on this yesterday. It's been sent, all over GTA
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
jasoncdu wrote: So which one would you declare to insurance? the original date of offence or final date of conviction (in the case of online quote) and which would insurance companies look at when they see your abstract?
To my knowledge, third parties such as insurance companies see convictions for three years from your offence date. I can't advise you how to provide information to an insurance company, however it is likely advisable to carefully read what you are being asked to provide to ensure that you do not misrepresent information that could come back and be used as a basis to deny a future insurance claim.
OTD Ticket Defenders Legal Services. The content of this message is not meant to be legal advice.

Thread Information

There are currently 4 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 3 guests)

mavvee