Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1165 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
aljudeh wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 10:37 am
hi, any help appreciated

any one with experience of requesting an earlier date for trial? would it work? if so what is the best time to request trial date change to an earlier date? like how far from the original date should a request be submitted?

thanks
I don't think this is possible. I assume that the trial date you get is the earliest possible date after the court has coordinated with the cop's schedule. Keep in mind that all of the cop's other trials will also be scheduled on that day. Moving it to an earlier date would mean the cop will most likely not be present so I doubt they would do that. You can request an adjournment for a later date. Why do you want an earlier date?
Dec 30, 1969
79 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Jenuine wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 11:11 am
I don't think this is possible. I assume that the trial date you get is the earliest possible date after the court has coordinated with the cop's schedule. Keep in mind that all of the cop's other trials will also be scheduled on that day. Moving it to an earlier date would mean the cop will most likely not be present so I doubt they would do that. You can request an adjournment for a later date. Why do you want an earlier date?
Thanks Jenuine,

It is to show that I was trying for an earlier date when I file Section 11 B since my trial date will be 10+ months. makes sense?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2014
1165 posts
407 upvotes
Toronto
aljudeh wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 11:28 am
Thanks Jenuine,

It is to show that I was trying for an earlier date when I file Section 11 B since my trial date will be 10+ months. makes sense?
You don't need to show that you were trying for an earlier date. Just file for 11b. Keep in mind though, it's usually only granted if your trial pushes 13-14 months.
Dec 30, 1969
79 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto
Jenuine wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 12:44 pm
You don't need to show that you were trying for an earlier date. Just file for 11b. Keep in mind though, it's usually only granted if your trial pushes 13-14 months.
My conviction was in December 2015 and trial will be in January 2017, although I met prosecutor in March 2015 but didn't help at all.
Jul 30, 2015
713 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Is it possible to request a translator after I've already submitted the ticket for a trial?

I want to present the conversation in the car as proof (recorded on dashcam), and it's not in English.
Jul 1, 2009
3 posts
Toronto
Hi all. Thanks for your help in the past. Perhaps someone can give me advice on the following:

My daughter got pulled over in Toronto and was given two tickets: 1) Using a hand held device ($490), and 2) disobey stop sign ($110).

Do you think we should try to negotiate a plea deal with the prosecutor so that she pleads guilty to one in exchange for them withdrawing the other? Would a prosecutor likely make this deal? Presumably two tickets will be far more harmful to insurance than just one. (Her record is otherwise clean.)

The trial date is set for just over 11 months from the date of the offence so we will be filing 11b for unreasonable delay. We have also requested disclosure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Dec 30, 1969
501 posts
140 upvotes
canoek wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 7:35 pm
Is it possible to request a translator after I've already submitted the ticket for a trial?

I want to present the conversation in the car as proof (recorded on dashcam), and it's not in English.
Yes.
Dec 30, 1969
501 posts
140 upvotes
dg00 wrote:
Jul 27th, 2016 10:51 pm
Do you think we should try to negotiate a plea deal with the prosecutor so that she pleads guilty to one in exchange for them withdrawing the other? Would a prosecutor likely make this deal?
- Worth a try, if that's what you want
- Depends on the prosecutor
Jun 17, 2016
2 posts
Hi, I received a speeding ticket for going 29 km over the speed limit in Canmore, AB. I was wondering, is it considered a fatal error if the officer does not indicate how the speed was recorded (there are boxes on the ticket that should be checked off to indicate how the speed was recorded)?
Jul 27, 2016
2 posts
Hello,

I received a ticket back in Jan in Edmonton; my trial date is tomorrow (07/28) in the morning, but I found this thread just now :/ Anyway, I received a ticket that says 51(i): possess operator's license not subsisting (so the offense and particular are not matching); although the notice of trial says 51(L) (which i the correct offense corresponding to that particular). Basically, I was asked for my license, but didn't have it as I didn't have my wallet; I had not been driving, as I had a health condition that impeded it. I told the officer I didn't have my license, he asked for registration papers, and when I pulled them out of the folder, out came an old license I had reported lost back in 2014. In the disclosure (officer's notes) he states that he gave me a ticket for having an expired license, even though he did a check and also states that I have valid license and provides a clean 10 year abstract. I sought lawyers, but none of them wanted to take the case as they said the offense does not carry demerit points.

Someone suggested to me to ask the crown prosecutor to drop charges based on the 51(i)/51(L) mistake; would that get me anywhere? And if she refuses, and I proceed to trial, can I use a due diligence defense (as I read on here). I didn't actually have an operator's license that was "not subsisting" as I had no knowledge that the "lost" one had been in my glove compartment all this time.
Any help, greatly greatly appreciated.
Dec 30, 1969
501 posts
140 upvotes
sarahb88888 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2016 12:19 am
Hi, I received a speeding ticket for going 29 km over the speed limit in Canmore, AB. I was wondering, is it considered a fatal error if the officer does not indicate how the speed was recorded (there are boxes on the ticket that should be checked off to indicate how the speed was recorded)?
No.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2011
3248 posts
976 upvotes
trinxified wrote:
Jul 25th, 2016 6:55 pm
Got my court date coming up for parking 3m fire hydrant... $100 fine.

is this worth going to the court at 9am in the morning (probably rush hour traffic at Eglinton too)?

or just cough up and pay it?

what are the chances I can get it completely off or reduced by how much?
reposting for answer? thanks.
Jul 27, 2016
2 posts
Not sure if my first post was lost. Got a ticket for 51(i): possessing an operator's license not subsisting, although the trial notice says 51 (L). Essentially, I did not have my license to provide when PO requested it. He then asked for registration and when I was pulling it out of the little plastic folder, a license I lost in Aug 2014 became visible. It was reported lost, I got a replacement, which is my current one, which is valid. I was not operating the vehicle due to a medical condition and was being driven by someone else, but officer's notes state an officer "saw me driving the vehicle".

I was told to talk to the Crown Prosecutor to drop charges. Is the discrepancy between the section # and description of particulars enough to get the charges dropped (i.e. insufficiency), or should I go to trial and argue due diligence (that I reported the lost license and got a replacement)?

Any help, greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Dec 30, 1969
501 posts
140 upvotes
trinxified wrote:
Jul 25th, 2016 6:55 pm
Got my court date coming up for parking 3m fire hydrant... $100 fine.

is this worth going to the court at 9am in the morning (probably rush hour traffic at Eglinton too)?

or just cough up and pay it?

what are the chances I can get it completely off or reduced by how much?
trinxified wrote:
Jul 28th, 2016 3:36 am
reposting for answer? thanks.
Only you can answer those questions, except for the last one ─ answer there is "no way to know unless you try"
Jul 30, 2015
713 posts
201 upvotes
Toronto, ON
G0DKING wrote:
Jul 28th, 2016 12:02 am
Yes.
Thanks. Can you please tell me how to do it? Should I go back to where I submitted the ticket to request for trial? Or should I phone? Or is it when I meet the prosecutor?
× < >