Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
jasoncdu wrote:
Nov 22nd, 2016 4:08 pm
So which one would you declare to insurance? the original date of offence or final date of conviction (in the case of online quote) and which would insurance companies look at when they see your abstract?
To my knowledge, third parties such as insurance companies see convictions for three years from your offence date. I can't advise you how to provide information to an insurance company, however it is likely advisable to carefully read what you are being asked to provide to ensure that you do not misrepresent information that could come back and be used as a basis to deny a future insurance claim.
OTD Ticket Defenders Legal Services. The content of this message is not meant to be legal advice.
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
Taj6735 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 1:12 pm
Thanks for sticking with me CNeufeld! It is the strangest thing! No header, no phone, or website etc. Says it's an automatic generated email, to not reply back, from a Stepanie Hitchcock at an outlook email address. I guess, I'm supposed to wait until they mail it to me? It said, this fee will be forwarded by mail to your address. However you can screen it now. Press here-then it's highlighted photo proof, followed by 9 numbers. I just get an empty page when I click on it. This fine must be honoured within the statutory period of up to 11/25/16. It's a head scratcher for sure.
That does sound like a scam email. Unfortunately clicking on a link and going to what appears to be a blank web page can still infect your computer with malware. Local law enforcement may not act on the matter. But if you did want to bring it to their attention, they would need a proper, detailed print out of the email and it's full header. Generally you can do this by right-clicking in the body of your email and selecting 'view source.' 'View source' can also be useful in seeing where a link is actually going to direct you to determine whether it looks credible or not.
OTD Ticket Defenders Legal Services. The content of this message is not meant to be legal advice.
Oct 25, 2011
212 posts
11 upvotes
Drew971 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 11:30 pm
I just receieved a ticket for disobeyed stoping at a stop sign ticket.
On my way back home from the city I was just entering my town when a car ahead of me rolled slowly through the stop sign. I then rolled up to the stop sign briefly stopped looked right, left , right and when on my way turning left. ( may not have been 3 seconds of a stop and there was also no cars incoming when turning over) Anyways as I slowly continue straight an officer on the next street over rolled up behind me lights flashing so I pulled over. The officer then approached my car and asked me if I knew what I did wrong and proceeded to say no because I didn't think I did. She continued saying that I rolled through the stop sign, than said that she knew the vehicle in front of me rolled through but that I was in her direction (so apparently more accessible to get) . Then finished saying that the police are starting to crack down on people who were rolling through stops signs. She then asked men for the essentials and gave me a ticket.

Is there any point in fighting it, or is it just sorry about my luck.
There is a point to fighting your traffic ticket. Review your ticket for Fatal errors and review disclosure of evidence against you once received.
Jan 7, 2008
35 posts
3 upvotes
Canada
Drew971 wrote:
Nov 23rd, 2016 11:30 pm
I just receieved a ticket for disobeyed stoping at a stop sign ticket.
On my way back home from the city I was just entering my town when a car ahead of me rolled slowly through the stop sign. I then rolled up to the stop sign briefly stopped looked right, left , right and when on my way turning left. ( may not have been 3 seconds of a stop and there was also no cars incoming when turning over) Anyways as I slowly continue straight an officer on the next street over rolled up behind me lights flashing so I pulled over. The officer then approached my car and asked me if I knew what I did wrong and proceeded to say no because I didn't think I did. She continued saying that I rolled through the stop sign, than said that she knew the vehicle in front of me rolled through but that I was in her direction (so apparently more accessible to get) . Then finished saying that the police are starting to crack down on people who were rolling through stops signs. She then asked men for the essentials and gave me a ticket.

Is there any point in fighting it, or is it just sorry about my luck.

Drew971. You have to take time off to request a trial and take half day off to go Court within the 10 months.

If time is not an issue then you should request a trial within 15 days

You can request "disclosure" and see what police wrote / video.

You will know the trial date within 4 months and trial is normally within 10 months.

Whren you show up in Court, the prosecutor will offer you a lesser charge with no points (improper stop instead of fail to obey stop sign)

It is up to you if you want to take the offer.

Most will accept the offer. However, no points or not, your insurance may still be impacted. Insurance co, will generally ignore the first minor convictions. However,
a 15% increase may be imposed if you get 2 minor convictions. ( no points or not)

If you ou don't have time to go to Court, or it will cost you lost wages to go to Court, then you can have someone to go on your behalf and ask for the lessor charge.
You must give power of attorney to that person. However, the best way is to hire a traffic ticket fighter and they can do all that for you.
Nov 22, 2016
2 posts
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to fight it so hopefully it goes well and I sent the ticket in the mail because it says they will give me a court date.
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
Drew971 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 9:00 am
Thanks for the input guys. I decided to fight it so hopefully it goes well and I sent the ticket in the mail because it says they will give me a court date.
If you have sent your filing by mail, it is prudent to call the court in a week to verify receipt of your filing. Court locations and telephone numbers can be found here: www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/engli ... esses/poa/
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
fisherman888 wrote:
Nov 25th, 2016 7:23 am

Whren you show up in Court, the prosecutor will offer you a lesser charge with no points (improper stop instead of fail to obey stop sign)
What HTA section are you referring to for 'Improper Stop?' Most variants of stopping charges are still 3 demerit point offences. Depending upon the Prosecutor/jurisdiction a generic signage offence may move it from an intersection related offence and down to 2 demerit points. Again, depending upon the details of the case and jurisdiction it may be possible to obtain a 0 demerit point lesser offence for interfering with traffic. In very rare cases, it may be possible to argue for a bylaw infraction. However, Prosecutors are extremely resistant to such plea deals and do not wish to set precedent.

Generally, there is nothing to be lost in proceeding to court to contest/negotiate and offence outside of personal time / lost wages for those self-representing or the cost of hiring a paralegal for those seeking legal representation. There are a few exceptions, such as proceeding to trial on reduced Speeding matters. If you've been served a summons, seek out legal representation (or at a minimum advice) as the matter will be a Provincial Prosecution matter involving the most heavy-handed penalties that can be issued by the Court under the HTA/CAIA. Most reputable paralegal firms will provide you 15 minutes or so of time to review your matter without cost. Due to liability they can not direct you how to proceed on your behalf at court (nor can the Court Clerks), but they can provide you with the basic information you need to know to make informed decisions and any immediate concerns about whether or not to proceed.
Oct 27, 2015
11 posts
Brampton, ON
jsherk wrote:
Oct 30th, 2015 1:31 pm
So with any lawyer or paralegal, there are good ones and bad ones. I usually suggest people call and talk to several before making a choice. Now you said this: "desire to go the extra mile for the client and just not strike a deal because that involves less work no matter". Unfortunately there are many lawyers/paralegals that will just go to court and try to get you a plea deal (which you could have done yourself) which takes them all of 5 minutes. A good lawyer/paralegal will sit down and give some ideas on how they are going to defend the charge. Of course you need to be aware in what circumstances you maybe should take a plea deal, but there should be some discussion about all the possible defenses they can use.

So hopefully will "go the extra mile" for you and hopefully succeed in getting charge dropped.

I would be interested to know what they had to do to get your laptop back!

PS: You should ask for a copy of the original trial transcript that they will get and also a copy of their full defense they will be presenting for future reference.
We won! Todd Brown from Charged.ca won both the tickets for me! It was a long fight (almost 2 years) but worth it. From "losing" the cases and my laptop for 30 days to winning!!! What a turnaround Todd made possible. I knew from the beginning that the officer had no basis to charge me but... Fighting - losing - appeal by Todd - Need to get a retrial and now winning by Todd. He responded to my emails promptly, kept me updated at all times. If you need a good fighter to fight your tickets in court hire Todd (he hasn't bought me a coffee for saying good things, yet :)). Actually I am going to buy him a drink when I meet him next.
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
21494 posts
2287 upvotes
^
Can any other RFD member vouch for Charged.ca?
Oct 27, 2015
11 posts
Brampton, ON
george__ wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 1:58 am
^
They just won a messy case for me (2 tickets). There was another user (achanna) who asked me about them 2 years a go and at that time I had only said that they seem to be professional and responsive to my queries after I retained them. HTH.

This is what I posted 2 days a go based on the success of my case.

We won! Todd Brown from Charged.ca won both the tickets for me! It was a long fight (almost 2 years) but worth it. From "losing" the cases and my laptop for 30 days to winning!!! What a turnaround Todd made possible. I knew from the beginning that the officer had no basis to charge me but... Fighting - losing - appeal by Todd - Need to get a retrial and now winning by Todd. He responded to my emails promptly, kept me updated at all times. If you need a good fighter to fight your tickets in court hire Todd (he hasn't bought me a coffee for saying good things, yet :)). Actually I am going to buy him a drink when I meet him next.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2014
1358 posts
455 upvotes
honestman1 wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 2:10 am
They just won a messy case for me (2 tickets). There was another user (achanna) who asked me about them 2 years a go and at that time I had only said that they seem to be professional and responsive to my queries after I retained them. HTH.

This is what I posted 2 days a go based on the success of my case.

Key words: any other RFD member
Jan 18, 2005
250 posts
11 upvotes
Hi OTD Legal,

I just got pulled over on Evans Ave near the Ikea. 25 over on a 50 zone (I reside in Mississauga so i am not familiar with the area). What should I do?
When the officer approached my car he told me the conversation is recorded and showed me his radar gun which read exact 75KM/HR. I don't believe I drove that fast given I just turned right onto Evans from Wickman Rd.

Thanks and hope to hear your advise.
Go RAPTORS GO!! :cheesygri GO LEAFS GO!! :cheesygri
Oct 25, 2011
212 posts
11 upvotes
george__ wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 1:58 am
^
I know Todd personally, he has been a well wisher of mine who I've been able to reach too on any matter (he is also on Proffered). He is one of the best out there and I would definitely recommend him!
Last edited by anusanzonline on Nov 27th, 2016 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
crazy_diamond wrote:
Nov 27th, 2016 4:11 pm
Hi OTD Legal,

I just got pulled over on Evans Ave near the Ikea. 25 over on a 50 zone (I reside in Mississauga so i am not familiar with the area). What should I do?
When the officer approached my car he told me the conversation is recorded and showed me his radar gun which read exact 75KM/HR. I don't believe I drove that fast given I just turned right onto Evans from Wickman Rd.

Thanks and hope to hear your advise.
At 25 km/h over the posted speed limit. The offence carries a 3 demerit point penalty. Generally a case of this nature would be negotiable to a lesser 0 demerit point offence assuming a reasonably good driving record and no reduction at roadside in the rate of speed. Speeding charges are absolute liability offences, so they tend to be very black-and-white when it comes to reviewing the merits of the Prosecutor's evidence for trial. Speeding cases generally involve very minimal legal work and cost. Generally for Mississauga court, most matters will take approximately 6 to 12 months to proceed through the court process. During that time, the offence would not be visible on your driving record for licencing or insurance purposes.

Thread Information

There are currently 5 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 5 guests)