Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Nov 27, 2016
4 posts
Like to Hi to everyone

So yesterday I was out with a bunch of camaros and corvettes doing a cruise. On or way back to Calgary. got pulled over saying I was doing 139kms i was at no time ever doing that speed. I know there where other corvettes and Camaros ahead of me. There was one Camaro the same colour as me ahead of me doing the same speed as me. And I had another Camaro behind me that was a different colour. I had cruise set at 119km and Camaro behind me said she was doing about 120kms when I got pulled over. He said that he laser me I know that there is always cops on this strip of the road. As I think he picked up Cars that where ahead of us 3. Can I take this to court with the person in Camaro behind me saying the speed we where doing I also went through whole video from when we left nanton to when I got pulled over and all I can see is cop that had some one pulled over on other side of high way and my radar ka went crazy when we say him. Any help on what I should do would be be greatly appreciated. Now I know I was speeding as it is 110kms and I was doing 119km.

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8774 posts
5295 upvotes
Edmonton
Eastwood1965 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 5:25 pm
Like to Hi to everyone

So yesterday I was out with a bunch of camaros and corvettes doing a cruise. On or way back to Calgary. got pulled over saying I was doing 139kms i was at no time ever doing that speed. I know there where other corvettes and Camaros ahead of me. There was one Camaro the same colour as me ahead of me doing the same speed as me. And I had another Camaro behind me that was a different colour. I had cruise set at 119km and Camaro behind me said she was doing about 120kms when I got pulled over. He said that he laser me I know that there is always cops on this strip of the road. As I think he picked up Cars that where ahead of us 3. Can I take this to court with the person in Camaro behind me saying the speed we where doing I also went through whole video from when we left nanton to when I got pulled over and all I can see is cop that had some one pulled over on other side of high way and my radar ka went crazy when we say him. Any help on what I should do would be be greatly appreciated. Now I know I was speeding as it is 110kms and I was doing 119km.

Thanks
No sense getting excited about anything till you get your disclosure. Make sure you keep the contact information for the people in your little group, maybe write down your "statement" so you can remember when it finally comes to trial.

C
Nov 27, 2016
4 posts
Thanks for the reply C

So when do I get the disclosure ??!!

As my ticket says to be there in February
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
Eastwood1965 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 6:41 pm

Unfortunately Calgary is outside of my area of practice and knowledge, so I can not provide you with any specific information as to the local court procedures. Generally, it is the responsibility of the defendant or their legal representative to service a disclosure request notice upon the Prosecutor's Office. Generally information on this process will be included in the documents that you receive from the court. Ensure that you carefully read and understand all correspondence received by the court.
OTD Ticket Defenders Legal Services. The content of this message is not meant to be legal advice.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
8774 posts
5295 upvotes
Edmonton
Eastwood1965 wrote:
Nov 28th, 2016 6:41 pm
Thanks for the reply C

Everything you need should be on the ticket.

C
Feb 3, 2014
209 posts
328 upvotes
Toronto
Hello,

I need an urgent help in relation to Richmond Hill Parking ticket. This is a first parking/any ticket for me. Therefore, we are not sure, what to do with this?
Briefly:
Today morning, we were volunteering at Richmond Hill Food Bank. We parked car outside on a side street due to very limited car parking at Food Bank.
We got a parking ticket stating that "Parked on a highway with left wheel to curb" for $30.00. There were other cars (of my colleagues, who were also volunteering at food bank) and their cars were also parked in the same line like me. No one got the ticket. I know, I can pay the fine. But, I need your help to fight this ticket.

Lesson learnt: Do not volunteer at any place, who do not have their own parking.
Thanks in advance.
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
Wizerman wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 3:20 pm
I need an urgent help in relation to Richmond Hill Parking ticket. This is a first parking/any ticket for me. Therefore, we are not sure, what to do with this?
Briefly:
Today morning, we were volunteering at Richmond Hill Food Bank. We parked car outside on a side street due to very limited car parking at Food Bank.
We got a parking ticket stating that "Parked on a highway with left wheel to curb" for $30.00. There were other cars (of my colleagues, who were also volunteering at food bank) and their cars were also parked in the same line like me. No one got the ticket. I know, I can pay the fine. But, I need your help to fight this ticket.

Lesson learnt: Do not volunteer at any place, who do not have their own parking.
Hopefully that isn't the lesson learnt here. Volunteering is a social good that benefits communities across our country.

It sounds like you were charged for illegally parking on the wrong side of the road (left wheel to curb). Barring any other parking violation, you could have likely parked legally if you parked with your passenger-side wheels to the curb. Parking tickets do not show on your driving record, carry no demerit points, and do not impact your insurance. Unless you have a defence, it is likely not worthwhile to incur the time and costs to fight a $30 parking ticket.
Last edited by OTDLegal on Nov 29th, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTD Ticket Defenders Legal Services. The content of this message is not meant to be legal advice.
Apr 7, 2007
430 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Got a letter from the City of Toronto today about a parking ticket that I've never got. It's got my plate, but doesn't say what car it is. I was never even around Jane and Finch on October 31 at 12:49AM. I'm not paying $30. How to I fight this without wasting my time.
Nov 28, 2016
1 posts
I received a parking ticket in Hamilton and paid it off.

Similar to the person above I received a letter from the city of Hamilton for a parking ticket issued for a date and time which I was not there, I was work in another city. Interesting enough, the date of the second ticket is the day prior my first ticket in Hamilton as described above for nearly the same location and parking infraction. There is a picture of my license plate with a time stamp that I would have been at work and my car would have been in the parking lot. I'm assuming that the pictures for the second ticket were all from that same day I received the first one. My first time seeing the second ticket was even through an email sent by a screening officer. I even brought a letter from my HR manager stating the time I punched in and out on a visit to Municipal parking and I was told that my parking ticket is still valid. What are my options here? I'd prefer not to pay a $60 ticket.

Thanks!
Jan 12, 2005
76 posts
9 upvotes
So I received a speeding ticket for 65KM/H on a 50KM/H road. This is already reduced by the officer. He actually clocked me going 72KM/H.

The thing is, a few metres after where his car was parked, the speed limit changes to 60KM/H. I was speeding up in anticipation of the limit change. Is this a valid argument?
he did get me going 72 on the 50 zone, but It was right at the very end...

Thanks for any replies
Apr 7, 2007
430 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
H8TR wrote:
Nov 29th, 2016 4:36 pm
Got a letter from the City of Toronto today about a parking ticket that I've never got. It's got my plate, but doesn't say what car it is. I was never even around Jane and Finch on October 31 at 12:49AM. I'm not paying $30. How to I fight this without wasting my time.
An update, called the city and since I've never actually seen the physical yellow ticket, asked what make of vehicle was on the ticket. They told me it was a GMC. The vehicle with this plate has never been a GMC. They then told me to email parkingdisputes@toronto.ca with the ticket info and they'll take care if it. Hopefully.
Oct 2, 2016
199 posts
25 upvotes
LexonC wrote:
Nov 30th, 2016 10:40 am
So I received a speeding ticket for 65KM/H on a 50KM/H road. This is already reduced by the officer. He actually clocked me going 72KM/H.

The thing is, a few metres after where his car was parked, the speed limit changes to 60KM/H. I was speeding up in anticipation of the limit change. Is this a valid argument?
he did get me going 72 on the 50 zone, but It was right at the very end...
The officer reduced the offence from a 3 demerit point offence, to a lesser 0 demerit point offence. Although the lesser offence carries no demerit points, it will still result in a record of conviction on your driving history if convicted. Unfortunately if you are in a 50 km/h zone, you are in a 50 km/h zone and are governed by that limit until you enter a new speed limit zone. Is the Officer best serving community safety in this particular scenario by sitting at a speed limit transition? That is certainly debatable.

However, now that the charge has been laid against you, you will need to decide what to do. You can simply pay the fine and plea guilty to the offence and move beyond the unfortunate event. Or, you can file the matter with the court to contest the matter. Reduced speeding charges will generally be an all-or-nothing offence; especially for a 15+ matter. Generally these cases need to be resolved before trial where possible as there is a risk of the speed being amended back to the original, higher rate at trial. A licenced paralegal can help guide you through those issues, but you would likely be looking at a few hundred dollars to cover court filings and appearances.
Mar 26, 2016
3 posts
I still haven't received my disclosure and my trial date is in about 2 months (Jan 13), should I bother sending another one? I've already sent the request twice since receiving my trial date notice (around beginning of July?)

Thanks.
Nov 29, 2016
4 posts
Hi all hoping I can get some guidance here.

Quite new to Montreal and Canada and not overly familiar with the road laws..

Dropped my kid to school this morning and took a different route to work. A few blocks away on my left is another school which had a school bus parked outside at a pedestrian crossing.
There was a parent with kids waiting to cross and my focus was on stopping at the crossing. I never noticed any lights flashing on the bus but I take it there were as a cop came round the cornere and put the lights on just as i stopped at the crossing.
Naively I mever realised he was after me so carried on and only when he followed through next set of lights and put the lights back on did I twig..
I have little French so initial conversation was tricky, when he explained the offense and penalty I was shocked at the severity..
Had I noticed the lights on I would not have known to stop 5m before the bus and would have been done anyway..
He told me he sits round the corner in such a position that as soon as the car is out of his sight he knows it has moved within 5m of the bus and makes his move. When I asked him where I stopped he was unsure other than it was less than 5m from the bus. Seems he uses the crossing patrol guy as his regular eye witness going by what he said.

Any help with the process to delay or reduce would be greatly appreciated..!

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Canadadesi