Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
When a school bus stops and the flashing light / stop sign comes on, traffic on both ends will have to stop.
Jeez..........WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
7579 posts
5274 upvotes
Toronto
Cheapo-Findo wrote: When a school bus stops and the flashing light / stop sign comes on, traffic on both ends will have to stop.
I keep getting honked and cars flying pass me when there was school bus stop with flashing lights on opposite side of the street.
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15620 posts
13286 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
One day they'll get it coming to them......like Op's "Friend".
peteryorkuca wrote: I keep getting honked and cars flying pass me when there was school bus stop with flashing lights on opposite side of the street.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Oct 4, 2017
327 posts
202 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: Start by providing a location? In general, you're caught red-handed, on camera. You can try to negotiate the fine down, though. Be glad that in most jurisdictions, the ticket doesn't include any demerits or insurance impacts.

C
Thanks for the quick response. It was in Toronto. I was caught red-handed for sure (red light with a green arrow to the right--I went straight), so willing to accept some consequence. Issue was that there was construction there, and a police closed off an entire road. So got distracted by his/her lights; moreover the RLC sign was behind a tree and I didn't see it. Nonetheless, because I was distracted by his her lights on the side of the intersection, when I looked up it was already too late. I even stopped in the middle of the intersection (thought about backing up, but a car was approaching). Good news is no one was walking or any other major accident.

I think the best way is to get a deduction (do you think it's best I go with Option 2? Early resolution), whatever can help to as I'm a student... worst of all, that day I was helping my grandpa move his stuff out of his building since he passed away just a few days before (to save some expenses)... but this isn't a sob story. It was my mistake.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote: When a school bus stops and the flashing light / stop sign comes on, traffic on both ends will have to stop.
No. If road is separated by a median then only cars approaching the school bus from behind need to stop
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
RFDBeliever wrote: Thanks for the quick response. It was in Toronto. I was caught red-handed for sure (red light with a green arrow to the right--I went straight), so willing to accept some consequence. Issue was that there was construction there, and a police closed off an entire road. So got distracted by his/her lights; moreover the RLC sign was behind a tree and I didn't see it. Nonetheless, because I was distracted by his her lights on the side of the intersection, when I looked up it was already too late. I even stopped in the middle of the intersection (thought about backing up, but a car was approaching). Good news is no one was walking or any other major accident.

I think the best way is to get a deduction (do you think it's best I go with Option 2? Early resolution), whatever can help to as I'm a student... worst of all, that day I was helping my grandpa move his stuff out of his building since he passed away just a few days before (to save some expenses)... but this isn't a sob story. It was my mistake.
You should be able to negotiate a discount, and possibly an extension on paying.

Start here:
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/fighting ... o-1157799/

C
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
12349 posts
5403 upvotes
The only exception is on highways divided by a median; drivers on the other side of the median approaching from the opposite are not required to stop. (A median is a raised, lowered or earth strip dividing a road where vehicles travel in both directions.)

so the exception is on "highways" divided by a median. What is meant by "highway" here? is that any road divided by a median or do they mean a true highway?
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
blexann wrote: The only exception is on highways divided by a median; drivers on the other side of the median approaching from the opposite are not required to stop. (A median is a raised, lowered or earth strip dividing a road where vehicles travel in both directions.)

so the exception is on "highways" divided by a median. What is meant by "highway" here? is that any road divided by a median or do they mean a true highway?
To answer your question, it’s any public road divided by either contrstructed or unpaved section of road designed not for vehiclur travel but for separation of traffic that goes in either directions.

Typical examples: DVP concrete divider on your furthest left is a median. Most designated left turn lanes have a median on the immediate left (where the pan handlers roam and cheap duct cleaning ads are adfixxed to the traffic light pole) and high speed local road ways (highway 7, between Leslie and 404).

So if you’re gonna pass a school bus you better be on the opposite side of traffic and a median such as one examples above or described below exists.

A highway is any public road. A roadway is any lanes typically driven on (not a shoulder of a freeway for example).

“highway” includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; (“voie publique”)

“median strip” means the portion of a highway so constructed as to separate traffic travelling in one direction from traffic travelling in the opposite direction by a physical barrier or a raised or depressed paved or unpaved separation area that is not intended to allow crossing vehicular movement; (“terre-plein central”)

“roadway” means the part of the highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic, but does not include the shoulder, and, where a highway includes two or more separate roadways, the term “roadway” refers to any one roadway separately and not to all of the roadways collectively; (“chaussée”)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
peteryorkuca wrote: I keep getting honked and cars flying pass me when there was school bus stop with flashing lights on opposite side of the street.
Please see my other post above, if a median exists you do not need to stop, if you are on opposite traffic. If no median exists then you must stop (which you are).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
RFDBeliever wrote: Thanks for the quick response. It was in Toronto. I was caught red-handed for sure (red light with a green arrow to the right--I went straight), so willing to accept some consequence. Issue was that there was construction there, and a police closed off an entire road. So got distracted by his/her lights; moreover the RLC sign was behind a tree and I didn't see it. Nonetheless, because I was distracted by his her lights on the side of the intersection, when I looked up it was already too late. I even stopped in the middle of the intersection (thought about backing up, but a car was approaching). Good news is no one was walking or any other major accident.

Red light cam is like a parking ticket. You can’t get demerit points, or conviction recorded on drivers license. Hard to argue, but can be reduced in court.
Dec 10, 2018
6 posts
Hey, I wanted to get some advice on how I should go about my speeding ticket. I got caught speeding going 80 on a 50. The officer reduced my fine to 15km over. Which is $52 and no demerit. I have no issue with paying the ticket but I don’t want to have another conviction on my record. I want to fight in court hoping the officer won’t show up but not really sure on what steps to take. I know I should ask for a disclosure once I get my trial date to figure out if I want to move on with the case. So let’s say there is a solid case but I still want to move on with the trial. Once I get to court, will I be notified if the officer has showed up?. And if I am notified that the officer has showed up, do I still have a chance to just plea guilty and just try for a lower fine. Or if I do fight it with the officer, can my ticket actually increase?
Dec 27, 2017
23 posts
4 upvotes
vaportech wrote: Highway is not what you think it means. Basically it’s any public street and shoulder.
Is there any way to lower it
Dec 10, 2018
5 posts
Got a speeding ticket - help me please

I got a ticket for speeding at Stouffville, it says I was speeding at 149 KPH in a posted 100 KPH zone - PACE. I'm a bit confused on what to do. I've been reading here that PACE is the hardest to disprove,

the cop also told me that if I try to fight this in court, it could raise to 150 KPH (for reckless driving). This implies he put this down on his notes. I spoke to my friend's 2 lawyer parents about this ticket but I forgot to tell them about this sentence above. They said to go to dispute this ticket & appear in court myself. They also said if I try to hire paralegal to do this, they'll probably try to negotiate a resolution, which is suboptimal. Instead I should bank on the cop not showing up.

I then spoke to a paralegal that said that since I have a clean record before this, there's a 75% chance that he can negotiate this down to 2-3 demerit points instead of the 4 that I have. He said that instead of meeting with the prosecutor before the court date, during the court date if the cop shows up he'll try to settle there.

I'm still generally confused on what to do because these suggestions from different sources don't seem to add up. I still have the ticket with me, and I have until Dec 22, 2018 to submit to the Newmarket court. I was hoping to send over the ticket saying I intend to appear in court, and also print a note asking for full disclosure (including when the speedometer was calibrated, etc.). Then when I get this info & evaluate how much evidence the cop has against me, decide whether to:
- Appear in court representing myself
- Hire a paralegal
- Or plead guilty

Help please.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
KalvinB75856 wrote: Hey, I wanted to get some advice on how I should go about my speeding ticket. I got caught speeding going 80 on a 50. The officer reduced my fine to 15km over. Which is $52 and no demerit. I have no issue with paying the ticket but I don’t want to have another conviction on my record. I want to fight in court hoping the officer won’t show up but not really sure on what steps to take. I know I should ask for a disclosure once I get my trial date to figure out if I want to move on with the case. So let’s say there is a solid case but I still want to move on with the trial. Once I get to court, will I be notified if the officer has showed up?. And if I am notified that the officer has showed up, do I still have a chance to just plea guilty and just try for a lower fine. Or if I do fight it with the officer, can my ticket actually increase?
If caught dead to rights, it will be hard to dispute the charge, but there ways.

Request a trial, get disclosure, go from there or post back here in future with info redacted.

The crown has no obligation to tell you if the officer is there that day or not and will use scare tactics for you to plead guilty. If they discuss with you an adjournment it usually means that the officer isn't there. Under the POA part 1 offences cannot be adjourned just because the officer does not show up. You'll have to reference that or advise the JP of that section when you get called up for the adjournment. A good tactic to see if the officer is there or not is to ask the crown that you need to speak with the officer prior to trial to clarify something in the notes. Defence has the right to ask the witness (Officer) questions prior to trial.

If you proceed with trial, they may also amend the charge back up to the original charge, instead of the roadside deduction the officer gave you. Most of the time they will not give any further reductions if a roadside one was already done.

Good luck.
Nightowl2121 wrote:
Is there any way to lower it
You can request a dispute of your ticket here: "https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/Markh ... VRUMyUzc0/"

You can pay your ticket here: "https://www.markham.ca/wps/portal/Markh ... VRUMyU1Yy/"

There's no guarantee they will lower the ticket, if you dispute it and go to the appointment and tell a sob story maybe they will. But regardless there is no requirement to lower the fine.
PopFizzSoda wrote: Got a speeding ticket - help me please

I got a ticket for speeding at Stouffville, it says I was speeding at 149 KPH in a posted 100 KPH zone - PACE. I'm a bit confused on what to do. I've been reading here that PACE is the hardest to disprove,

the cop also told me that if I try to fight this in court, it could raise to 150 KPH (for reckless driving). This implies he put this down on his notes. I spoke to my friend's 2 lawyer parents about this ticket but I forgot to tell them about this sentence above. They said to go to dispute this ticket & appear in court myself. They also said if I try to hire paralegal to do this, they'll probably try to negotiate a resolution, which is suboptimal. Instead I should bank on the cop not showing up.

I then spoke to a paralegal that said that since I have a clean record before this, there's a 75% chance that he can negotiate this down to 2-3 demerit points instead of the 4 that I have. He said that instead of meeting with the prosecutor before the court date, during the court date if the cop shows up he'll try to settle there.

I'm still generally confused on what to do because these suggestions from different sources don't seem to add up. I still have the ticket with me, and I have until Dec 22, 2018 to submit to the Newmarket court. I was hoping to send over the ticket saying I intend to appear in court, and also print a note asking for full disclosure (including when the speedometer was calibrated, etc.). Then when I get this info & evaluate how much evidence the cop has against me, decide whether to:
- Appear in court representing myself
- Hire a paralegal
- Or plead guilty

Help please.
Request a trial, get disclosure. Hard to give options without knowing what the officer has against you. You can also plead guilty or ask for reductions prior to the start of the trial. The crown may offer you a deal, which you can accept or decline. If you have a set fine ($$ amount on the bottom of the ticket) then it's a part 1 offence and the officer must show up. However, since you speeding 49 over, even though the POA says the officer must show up to trial and crown cannot ask for adjournment for this reason, due to the speed of which you were traveling the JP may adjourn the trial. Hence the defence of hoping the officer might not show up may not be relevant. The JP can grant the adjournment if it's at the interest of justice. Furthermore, if a roadside deduction was given then the crown can amend the charge to original charge.

my advise is to request the trial, get disclosure, post it with info redacted if you want to, and go from there.

Most likely you'll need a paralegal to fight this charge. Lawyer advice is alright, but for these types of things, most times lawyers will not know as they do not deal with these types of cases often.

MacDonald v Mississauga (City)
https://1drv.ms/b/s!AtMpt2Vz4noBgpsfcAzqIKnfUMjL4Q
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1439 posts
930 upvotes
Robidas Island
Has anyone been ticketed when driving <120 on the 400 series highways?
Mar 20, 2018
263 posts
169 upvotes
I am going to have an early resolution meeting over the phone soon.

1) If I take prosecutor's deal, will I have to appear in court?
2) How much time do I have to accept/decline an offer?
3) In your experience, what happens to a clean-record driver with a document charge and a 30-49 speeding charge? Can I expect the document ticket dropped and a reduction on the speeding ticket?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2007
5977 posts
1468 upvotes
???
stanleyinfrared wrote: I am going to have an early resolution meeting over the phone soon.

1) If I take prosecutor's deal, will I have to appear in court?
2) How much time do I have to accept/decline an offer?
3) In your experience, what happens to a clean-record driver with a document charge and a 30-49 speeding charge? Can I expect the document ticket dropped and a reduction on the speeding ticket?
1) Kind’ve, you still need to appear before a JP to plead guilty. It will be setup the same day so you negotiate a plea with the prosecutor, they hand it off after to another and you go before a JP to plead guilty to the amended charge.
2) The crown will tell you, usually 30 days. If you don’t then a trial date is set for you.
3) most likely doc charge withdrawn and amend to 15 over.
Jan 16, 2018
1 posts
Should I take the trial option (option 3) or enter a plea of guilty (option 2)?

I got ticketed for disobeying sign HTA 182 (2) and failing to surrender permit 7 (5) (a).
  1. I took a right turn on east bound Steeles avenue into Hilda Avenue when the sign said no right turn between 7am-9am. I was behind a truck and car and did not notice the sign.
  2. This was my first talking to a cop. I wasn't aware of all the documents that I need to show the cop. I was worried. I handed him my drivers license and vehicle insurance. I wasn't familiar with the vehicle permit. Unfortunately, I had the vehicle permit for my car and an old car with me. The cop picked the wrong one. He validated the documents and came back with two tickets.
I am okay paying for the disobey sign offence as it was my mistake. But at the same time, I am worried that it would affect my insurance. Is there any point in going with option (3) ? I went through lot of comments on this forum and feel like the disobey offence will not be dropped anyways.
Dec 10, 2018
6 posts
Thank you for replying. So when I fill up the information, i read that I’m not suppose to write my phone #, so that they’re force to mail the disclosure instead of asking me to pick it up. Is this actually allowed, or will they just say it’s my fault for not putting my phone #

And also am I suppose to send the disclosure letter along with my ticket response?

Also, once I get my disclosure. And I decide to drop the case and just pay the fee. Is there any penaly?

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)