I was involved in an accident a few months ago:
- I was at an intersection where only I had a stop sign and only had a chance to take a left (north) or right (south). I was looking to take a left turn and drive north.
- There were cars parked along the street and up the hill on the north side. I've attached a photo so you can see the hill an the parked cars. Because of this, I had to creep out in order to see if there were any cars approaching from the north.
- As I creeped out, I saw headlights shine from under the parked cars, signifying a car approaching from the north.
- I hit the brakes but I realized my nose was sticking out too much so I slammed on the horn, but the approaching car was coming in too fast to stop.
- The other car hit the front-left of my car and spun me around, while the other car continued forward because of its momentum. Image attached for reference on where I ended up.
I was given an improper left turn ticket with 2 points and a fine, and am really just trying to get some advice on how to handle my court date. Do I have a case to argue not guilty? Does the other driver need to show up in court, or will the officer alone be enough to continue with the case?
Many thanks in advance!