Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Apr 21, 2009
845 posts
282 upvotes
Toronto
I got caught by a red light camera at Danforth and Greenwood last night, it was yellow and as soon as I crossed the white line it was red. I would have stopped but I was going too fast already.

Do they typically reduce these if I go to court?
Last edited by BengaliPrince on Jul 8th, 2017 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 15, 2017
162 posts
39 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
ultra wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 6:29 pm
Got a speeding ticket for 70km/h over 50km/h zone. But the set fine and total payable are $0. Then I found that the description in the ticket said "SPEEDING - 70 KM/H IN A 4 KM/H ZONE". Does that mean the ticket is invalid and I'm off the hook?
In Ontario if there is a error like this it is fatal IF YOU DO NOT RESPOND TO THE TICKET. You must completely ignore the ticket and keep the original in a safe place. Do not respond and do not pay it and do not plead not guilty and do not ask for early resolution.

If you ignore it, then yes it go away. In a month or two, call the provincial offences office and ask the status of the ticket to confirm.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Sep 25, 2003
317 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
ShrekTek wrote:
Jul 8th, 2017 10:45 am
In Ontario if there is a error like this it is fatal IF YOU DO NOT RESPOND TO THE TICKET. You must completely ignore the ticket and keep the original in a safe place. Do not respond and do not pay it and do not plead not guilty and do not ask for early resolution.

If you ignore it, then yes it go away. In a month or two, call the provincial offences office and ask the status of the ticket to confirm.
Good to hear that, I'll take your advice and ignore the ticket
Jul 8, 2017
1 posts
Hi everyone,

I just got a speeding ticket today for 126 km. I was rushing to a wedding to which I was the best man and I live 3 hours away from the wedding location. Needless to say, and it is my fault, I was late. The cop (with a radar) stoped me under a bridge where he was two lanes away from me and I beleive I remember a car passing next to me simultaneously. I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to contest the ticket? Will the hearing take place at the location of infraction?
Jun 15, 2017
162 posts
39 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Vinceive wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 12:53 am
Hi everyone,

I just got a speeding ticket today for 126 km. I was rushing to a wedding to which I was the best man and I live 3 hours away from the wedding location. Needless to say, and it is my fault, I was late. The cop (with a radar) stoped me under a bridge where he was two lanes away from me and I beleive I remember a car passing next to me simultaneously. I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to contest the ticket? Will the hearing take place at the location of infraction?
You should always try and fight it. Plead Not Guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get the notice of trial, you can request disclosure (Officers notes). Once you get the notes, post them here and we can determine if you have a case or not.

You have nothing to lose by doing this because you can just pay the ticket anytime up to the trial anyways if you decide you dont want to fight it, but you should at least look at officers notes first before you decide.

And yes the trial would be in the area where the ticket was written.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Dec 11, 2003
778 posts
76 upvotes
Toronto
I just got my court date and it will be in January. I want to request my disclosure. Do I have to go to the courthouse and submit the form? Or is there another way to do that? Thanks.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Oct 25, 2011
210 posts
11 upvotes
ds2chan wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 5:53 pm
I just got my court date and it will be in January. I want to request my disclosure. Do I have to go to the courthouse and submit the form? Or is there another way to do that? Thanks.
Request disclosure via fax
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1570 posts
314 upvotes
TORONTO
Just got caught speeding on River/Gerrard. Police pulled me over and recorded 57 km/h in a 40 km/h zone.

Ticket is $57.50 and 3 demerit points.

Have insurance under my father.

As it stands now, this is my first HTA ticket (couple of parking tickets meh) and I have been driving since 2010.

What are my next steps? If I go to court to fight this and they reduce it to the 0-15 km/hr over zone, that means 0 demerit points. Do I still take a hit on insurance if I'm in that zone. Any chance of getting this ticket completely removed?

Thanks in advance.
Jun 20, 2009
11 posts
Toronto
Hi
I got a speeding ticket in Napanee by an OPP. The ticket said I was driving 131km/hr in 100km/hr zone. I'm a first time offender and I'm in need of your advice. I already receive an early resolution date for my case and it will be this coming Thursday July 13. What are my options at this point? What is the best thing to do to avoid affecting my insurance premium?
Sep 26, 2016
5 posts
Might have got caught with a camera at 1am in a community safety zone going 60 in a 50 zone. Will I get a ticket?
Jun 15, 2017
162 posts
39 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
zakregent wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 5:55 pm
Just got caught speeding on River/Gerrard. Police pulled me over and recorded 57 km/h in a 40 km/h zone.

Ticket is $57.50 and 3 demerit points.

Have insurance under my father.

As it stands now, this is my first HTA ticket (couple of parking tickets meh) and I have been driving since 2010.

What are my next steps? If I go to court to fight this and they reduce it to the 0-15 km/hr over zone, that means 0 demerit points. Do I still take a hit on insurance if I'm in that zone. Any chance of getting this ticket completely removed?

Thanks in advance.
If you get it reduced to 15 over, then this is 0 demerits, however it can still affect your insurance the same as a 3 demerit charge as insurance companies do not care about demerit points. Demerits are irrelevent to insurance companies.

The chances of getting ticket dropped completely are probably slim to none, however you need to see disclosure before you can know for sure about if you have a defense or not.

Plead Not Guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial date you can then request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the notes post them here so we can review them.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
162 posts
39 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
macky28 wrote:
Jul 10th, 2017 10:34 pm
Hi
I got a speeding ticket in Napanee by an OPP. The ticket said I was driving 131km/hr in 100km/hr zone. I'm a first time offender and I'm in need of your advice. I already receive an early resolution date for my case and it will be this coming Thursday July 13. What are my options at this point? What is the best thing to do to avoid affecting my insurance premium?
You can not avoid affecting your insurance unless you go to trial and win and get the ticket dropped completely. In Ontario, even a 0 demerit speeding ticket can still affect your insurance as Insurance companies do not care about demerits at all.

You need to see disclosure before you can decide if you have a good defense or not to beat it or not.

The prosecutor MAY offer you some kind of plea deal at early resolution by dropping it to something like 25 to 29 over which is only 3 demerits and a little lower fine. If you do not like the offer they give you, then you say you plan to plead Not Guilty and would like to request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial date you can then request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the notes post them here so we can review them.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2012
1570 posts
314 upvotes
TORONTO
ShrekTek wrote:
Jul 11th, 2017 8:59 am
If you get it reduced to 15 over, then this is 0 demerits, however it can still affect your insurance the same as a 3 demerit charge as insurance companies do not care about demerit points. Demerits are irrelevent to insurance companies.

The chances of getting ticket dropped completely are probably slim to none, however you need to see disclosure before you can know for sure about if you have a defense or not.

Plead Not Guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial date you can then request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the notes post them here so we can review them.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will be going to the Court of Justice and choosing the Trial Option. I'll update once I get more info.

A side question I was wondering about: If I do choose the Trial Option, get a court date and the office does not show up; Does my ticket get dropped completely?
Mar 23, 2017
3 posts
Hey guys,

I received a red light camera ticket on June 13th, and am wondering what your advice is on how I should proceed. Based on google imagery of where the sign is located it's only 110 meters from the solid white line indicating the beginning of the intersection. Is the law for Ontario that the red light camera sign needs to be at least 400 meters prior to the camera?

Details:
The first image of my vehicle depicts my speed as 53 km/h in a 60km/h zone, and shows my car AT the line when the light turned red. It says the light was red for 0.4 seconds when my vehicle "approached" the intersection - but in reality my vehicle is already AT the intersection.

The second image then depicts my car a single car length ahead (and into the intersection) and indicates that the light had then been red for 1.4 seconds.

The exact wording is as below:

"as shown in the digitized images set forth in this notice, contrary to subsection 144(18.1) and pursuant to section 207 of the Highway Traffic Act. The photographs taken by the red light camera system show the vehicle approaching the intersection, at which time the signal had displayed red for 000.4 seconds and that vehicle proceeded through the intersection when the light had been red for 001.4 seconds. I believe and certify that the above offence has been committed. Signature of Officer issuing this notice" it then depicts a barely discernible signature.

Any advice and information on the legislation of the red light camera signage would be sincerely appreciated. Thanks to all the individuals who contribute to everyone's questions!
Deal Addict
Oct 10, 2008
1401 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
Need advice on a speeding in Construction Zone ticket.

I was driving from Kelowna to Vancouver on the highway. Highway speed limit is 120 km/h. Signs said construction up ahead reduce to 90 km/h, at this point I'm going 100 km/h. Another sign up ahead says 60km/h, and there was a flashing sign that said I'm going too fast "102 km/h".

So I slowed to about 80 km/h, no real construction in sight. When I see the construction up ahead I slowed down to about 65km/h. Then when I see the actual construction, I get stopped by a police officer who said I was going at 102 km/h in a 60 km/h construction zone. He was standing next to a radar tripod but never actually showed me a reading.

Wrote me a $250 ticket.

The court hearing is in Kelowna, but I live in Vancouver.

Is this worth fighting? If I do fight how do I move the court location to Vancouver?

Thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 2 guests)

Pretzelz