Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
1331 posts
504 upvotes
Toronto
eblend wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:10 pm
Pretty sure in Canada that's illegal. I know it's very common in Europe.
Nope.
Traffic tickets are issued at police discretion. However, interpretation of the law is up to the courts.

In past, my colleague Jim Kenzie and myself took police to task for improperly ticketing drivers who flashed their headlights in daytime to warn oncoming drivers that they were approaching a speed trap.

The courts ruled this specific action was not illegal and that charges under section 162(2) HTA, which prohibits alternating high-beams on vehicles other than emergency vehicles, did not apply. All outstanding charges were tossed and police no longer issue such tickets at the direction of the Solicitor General.
Home automation, CanadaHiFi Magazine, photography, EVs.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
7837 posts
2713 upvotes
Toronto
2 things I hate, people with no lights driving at night and people with highbeams on at night. Don't you see you are blinding oncoming cars on the road which can be dangerous.
Mahzooz wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:01 pm
Hi
Received a ticket for doing my civic duty and warning others about a hidden police speed trap. I received a "Prohibited use of Highbeam Headlights" and I was told by few people to fight it because it doesnt hold ground in court. Any tips on how to fight this ticket

Thanks

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Addict
Nov 22, 2015
2195 posts
1172 upvotes
Mahzooz wrote:
Hi
Received a ticket for doing my civic duty and warning others about a hidden police speed trap. I received a "Prohibited use of Highbeam Headlights" and I was told by few people to fight it because it doesnt hold ground in court. Any tips on how to fight this ticket

Thanks
Illegal or not, it's pretty stupid to flash your highbeams like that.... and I definitely wouldn't do it to warn others of a speed trap when there's a cop in plain sight.
Last edited by superfresh89 on Aug 9th, 2017 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7095 posts
786 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I would flash peoples if they had their high beams on or or if they don't have any lights on at night but if someone is speeding and crossing a speed trap, hell with him.
Jun 27, 2017
21 posts
13 upvotes
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:21 pm
2 things I hate, people with no lights driving at night and people with highbeams on at night. Don't you see you are blinding oncoming cars on the road which can be dangerous.
First of all my headlights weren't on. Second, it was around noon so broad day light. I was warning drivers on the other side about the speed trap in broad day light.
I know that police officers dont have ground to prove it in court but I wanted help on how to fight it and what exactly to say to the Judge when I go to court
Nov 11, 2013
156 posts
113 upvotes
Calgary
I don't know why people warn others of speed traps. Don't speed and you won't get a ticket. I hope this ticket sticks and the OP fined
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4182 posts
2524 upvotes
North York
Mahzooz wrote:
Hi

Thanks
YOUR CIVIC DUTY is to warn speeders?

Seriously?
How do I downvote this voting system?
Jun 27, 2017
21 posts
13 upvotes
I would also add this to the above links

The courts ruled this specific action was not illegal and that charges under section 162(2) HTA, which prohibits alternating high-beams on vehicles other than emergency vehicles, did not apply. All outstanding charges were tossed and police no longer issue such tickets at the direction of the Solicitor General.
http://www.wheels.ca/news/can-i-get-a-t ... vers-1047/
Jun 27, 2017
21 posts
13 upvotes
konsensei wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:50 pm
YOUR CIVIC DUTY is to warn speeders?

Seriously?
Love it when people focus on wording instead of helping. Ok since it bugs you too much, call it "Good Samaritan" instead of "Civic Duty". Do you have anything to add to help?
Deal Addict
Mar 17, 2006
4182 posts
2524 upvotes
North York
Mahzooz wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:53 pm
Love it when people focus on wording instead of helping. Ok since it bugs you too much, call it "Good Samaritan" instead of "Civic Duty". Do you have anything to add to help?
One day, one of these speeders will crash and kill people while speeding. I hope you are happy helping them not to learn.
How do I downvote this voting system?
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2007
1036 posts
227 upvotes
Calgary
If you need to use high beam driving in the city
You may want to get your eyes checkWinking Face
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2074 posts
404 upvotes
Mississauga
konsensei wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 2:57 pm
One day, one of these speeders will crash and kill people while speeding. I hope you are happy helping them not to learn.
Because the OP specifically stated he was warning of a speeder doing 80+ in a school zone.