Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
d_source wrote: This is great. I'll have a look at the links you posted.

FYI. The card promo makes it free for the first year, and then i can cancel before the anniversary so literally nothing out of my pocket for it if I chose to go that route. However, the card benefits for me may actually be worthwhile so i'm already thinking of keeping it (and canceling my CAA ~$120/year).
Good luck! Post back when you get things resolved!

C
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Will do. May take over a year from what I've been told though.
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Oct 11, 2007
79 posts
20 upvotes
If you were caught speeding on radar, shouldn't the disclosure include photos/video or something that shows the radar capturing your speed?

I requested disclosure and got a written statement that says the officer told me he caught me doing 73 or 74 and a DVD which is useless because it's the officers deshcam that is parked facing the opposite way.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
ThaaCandyman wrote: If you were caught speeding on radar, shouldn't the disclosure include photos/video or something that shows the radar capturing your speed?

I requested disclosure and got a written statement that says the officer told me he caught me doing 73 or 74 and a DVD which is useless because it's the officers deshcam that is parked facing the opposite way.
No, there's no requirement for the officer to to have the radar on camera. Their testimony is enough. And there's no requirement for them to align the dash-cam on you either.

There should be more to his written statement about the testing of the equipment, though.

C
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
BashierK50407 wrote: I served the prosecutors office and the courts clerk today with a 4F form. About 20 mins after leaving I received a call from the prosecutor telling me that my disclosure is ready and that they never had a number to call to say it's ready until I served them today. I put my phone number on the 4F forum as it is instructing to do.
How do I handle this? Do I go pickup my disclosure? I have 19 days until my trial.

Thanks for the help
If you don’t pick up your disclosure, you can’t really use “I didn’t get my disclosure in time” as a defence, since it’s been sitting there waiting for you. If you still need more time to put together a defence after picking up your disclosure, you’ll have to ask the just for a continuance. But it seems that for most traffic tickets, 3 weeks should be long enough.

C
Jun 21, 2010
4 posts
toronto
Hello everyone, so I followed the instructions on the first page in response to speeding ticket i got early this year, i got a trial date of September 11 and I received my disclosure a month after asking for it, then last week I get a letter from the prosecutor notifying me that on June 27 they will be asking the judge for an adjournment because the officer is on annual leave. based on this, should i go to the hearing to contest the request? or please give me any advise. Thank you
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
zakaza wrote: Hello everyone, so I followed the instructions on the first page in response to speeding ticket i got early this year, i got a trial date of September 11 and I received my disclosure a month after asking for it, then last week I get a letter from the prosecutor notifying me that on June 27 they will be asking the judge for an adjournment because the officer is on annual leave. based on this, should i go to the hearing to contest the request? or please give me any advise. Thank you
You can contest the request if you like. Argue that you're ready to defend yourself, and that you have a right to a timely trial. But as long as your trial still happens within 18 months of your offence, you don't have much to argue. Police officers are allowed to take time off.

C
Jun 21, 2010
4 posts
toronto
CNeufeld wrote: You can contest the request if you like. Argue that you're ready to defend yourself, and that you have a right to a timely trial. But as long as your trial still happens within 18 months of your offence, you don't have much to argue. Police officers are allowed to take time off.

C
Thank you for the quick reply.
Apr 16, 2015
10 posts
Thornhill, ON
Hello,

I received a speeding ticket (109 km/h in an 80 km/h zone) and asked for disclosure but it's not of very much use as nearly all of it is blacked out:

disc1.png

Along with a copy of my ticket, I also received in the disclosure package a driver record (list of driving convictions) of someone else, no idea who that person is.

Would any of this be helpful in fighting or at least pushing the court date out (i.e. saying I need more time to review the evidence as the disclosure I received was insufficient)?
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
airatin wrote: Hello,

I received a speeding ticket (109 km/h in an 80 km/h zone) and asked for disclosure but it's not of very much use as nearly all of it is blacked out:

Imagedisc1.png

Along with a copy of my ticket, I also received in the disclosure package a driver record (list of driving convictions) of someone else, no idea who that person is.

Would any of this be helpful in fighting or at least pushing the court date out (i.e. saying I need more time to review the evidence as the disclosure I received was insufficient)?
Yes, I think you could ask the JP for a continuance to get more complete disclosure. But you should be prepared to justify it, in case the prosecutor argued against it.

C
Oct 16, 2007
100 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
Hi,

I was driving my dad's car (he was in it with me) and I crossed the intersection when it was yellow then turned red. There was a red-light camera there so he got a notice in the mail of the ticket, photo and all. He sent in the reply for an Early Resolution Notice. The notice now has come back with a date to appear saying he or a representative can appear. May I go for him?

If I choose to take an offer for a reduced fine/no points, does that still affect his record/insurance?

Thanks in advance.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
dealdigger16 wrote: Hi,

I was driving my dad's car (he was in it with me) and I crossed the intersection when it was yellow then turned red. There was a red-light camera there so he got a notice in the mail of the ticket, photo and all. He sent in the reply for an Early Resolution Notice. The notice now has come back with a date to appear saying he or a representative can appear. May I go for him?

If I choose to take an offer for a reduced fine/no points, does that still affect his record/insurance?

Thanks in advance.
It's a red light camera ticket. There are no points and no insurance implications even if you pay the full fare price.

You can go on his behalf, but you may want to get a signed letter saying he has your permission.

C
Nov 3, 2015
281 posts
58 upvotes
Clarkson, ON
I got a parking ticket on Jun 12. As per the ticket I have 15 days to pay it or request a review. However when I try to search for the ticket number to do either on the website listed (www.mississauga.ca/reviewpenalty or /paypenalty) the ticket doesn't show up. It just says

"This parking ticket or penalty notice number is currently unavailable. Please try again on the next business day. If you received a handwritten ticket, it can take up to 10 business days before it is available online to make a payment or request a screening."

Tomorrow is the last date to pay the ticket or I get dinged another $45 on top of this, which I would gladly avoid. Has anyone else had any experience like this? I'm gonna try tomorrow again, but what do I do if it doesn't show up?

Thanks.
Jun 26, 2019
2 posts
Hi,

I got involved in an accident where I was making a left turn. The accident happened on 1548 warden avenue which is on a hill. I was standing at the center waiting to make the turn until the first lane of oncoming traffic stopped and yielded. This created traffic behind the car and about 5-10 cars where lined up behind him. So I proceed a bit forward to check the second lane. As I saw no car coming and made the turn. 2 second after I got hit in the rear passenger seat. The cops showed up after the fact and gave me a ticket of left turn not in safety. I was wondering if I could fight it as I had taken all the steps to prevent this accident ( due diligence). Futhermore, there were 4 other passengers in the car as well all wearing seatbelts and they can also confirm that I took all those action. Could you please give me some advice on what to do ? Thank you for your time
Nov 3, 2015
281 posts
58 upvotes
Clarkson, ON
fractall wrote: I got a parking ticket on Jun 12. As per the ticket I have 15 days to pay it or request a review. However when I try to search for the ticket number to do either on the website listed (www.mississauga.ca/reviewpenalty or /paypenalty) the ticket doesn't show up. It just says

"This parking ticket or penalty notice number is currently unavailable. Please try again on the next business day. If you received a handwritten ticket, it can take up to 10 business days before it is available online to make a payment or request a screening."

Tomorrow is the last date to pay the ticket or I get dinged another $45 on top of this, which I would gladly avoid. Has anyone else had any experience like this? I'm gonna try tomorrow again, but what do I do if it doesn't show up?

Thanks.
Called them. Turns out it's a fraudulent ticket. The ticket looks totally legitimate. Yellow copy directing for it to be paid or contested at www.mississauga.ca.

If your ticket number starts with a M, or a P and is not followed by a 0, it is not a real ticket.

I'm not sure what the use of this is, because it can't be paid anyway. But I'm expecting the scamming company would eventually send out a mail asking for the fine to be paid to certain payee. If someone didn't bother contacting the city (because it wasn't showing up online), they may fall for this afterwards.

If you've had a similar experience you can contact the scam and fraud division at 1-888-495-8510 and report it.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Bobo4445 wrote: Hi,

I got involved in an accident where I was making a left turn. The accident happened on 1548 warden avenue which is on a hill. I was standing at the center waiting to make the turn until the first lane of oncoming traffic stopped and yielded. This created traffic behind the car and about 5-10 cars where lined up behind him. So I proceed a bit forward to check the second lane. As I saw no car coming and made the turn. 2 second after I got hit in the rear passenger seat. The cops showed up after the fact and gave me a ticket of left turn not in safety. I was wondering if I could fight it as I had taken all the steps to prevent this accident ( due diligence). Futhermore, there were 4 other passengers in the car as well all wearing seatbelts and they can also confirm that I took all those action. Could you please give me some advice on what to do ? Thank you for your time
I see that you've posted the same question in the Ontario Highway Traffic Act forum, and as you're being advised there, you're free to fight it if you want. You can line up the witnesses, but the physical evidence of an accident is going to weigh heavily against you. Nobody can tell you for sure what will happen; it will depend on how well you can argue your case and whether the JP believes you did everything you could reasonably do. You'll probably want to emphasis that part... The wording of the law is important.

C
Jun 26, 2019
2 posts
Would it help if I get a letter from the 4 other people in the car stating what action I took just before the accident ? I also never had been issued a ticket or been in an accident before.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
Bobo4445 wrote: Would it help if I get a letter from the 4 other people in the car stating what action I took just before the accident ? I also never had been issued a ticket or been in an accident before.
Not sure that the “letter” could be considered evidence. I think you’d want to have as many of them as possible as witnesses, so the prosecutor could question them if they wanted to. Same reason why the police officer has to show up to provide their testimony.

C
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1338 posts
599 upvotes
Gosh damn drove out of province to Quebec and apparently they have radar speeding lights? The rental company paid it automatically on my behalf FML. What does this mean?!? Demerit points? Insurance going up?

99 on a 70 apparently. I'm located in GTA. Please help thanks
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
13006 posts
10009 upvotes
Edmonton
rage2021 wrote: Gosh damn drove out of province to Quebec and apparently they have radar speeding lights? The rental company paid it automatically on my behalf FML. What does this mean?!? Demerit points? Insurance going up?

99 on a 70 apparently. I'm located in GTA. Please help thanks
Red light cameras and photo radar tickets don’t have demerits or insurance implications, as there’s no way to prove who the driver was. So just the fine. And you agreed to pay the fine in your rental documents.

C

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)