Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Jun 27, 2017
24 posts
13 upvotes
ShrekTek wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 9:26 am
- You say no more questions and sit back down.
Thanks, can I also ask the Officer to reiterate his exact wordings when he gave me the ticket?
He clearly said "you used your headlights to warn other vehicles about the speed trap. Well the officer wasn't using the Radar, he was working on paperwork. It's illegal to use your headlights to warn others about speed traps"
Can this help me?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4946 posts
2444 upvotes
Edmonton
Mahzooz wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:00 am
Thanks, can I also ask the Officer to reiterate his exact wordings when he gave me the ticket?
He clearly said "you used your headlights to warn other vehicles about the speed trap. Well the officer wasn't using the Radar, he was working on paperwork. It's illegal to use your headlights to warn others about speed traps"
Can this help me?
Request your disclosure, and go from there. His notes will likely not say anything about the "alternating high beams", which is the charge. I would hazard a guess that he gave you this ticket to intimidate you and cause you grief, and he won't even bother to show up in court because he knows there's no case against you. But it will cost you a day of going to court (or at least an early visit with the prosecutor) and he's hoping that will give you pause next time.

C
Jun 3, 2007
234 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
Hi all, I had a question that I hope someone could help with. I requested a disclosure for a speeding ticket and the note I got back from the officer was typed gibberish. Is there any way to get clarification or if anyone knows the lingo could chime in? The ticket is written exactly:

ux018761 800]
80 x p
ccd
cu
lead
l1@214
w/s
grn sub ty
1 occ 2 doc

I was charged with speeding 60 in a 40 zone, actual speed was 80. I drive a Green Subaru Forester, was the only passenger and did have insurance and driver's license - which I presume are what a few of the lines state. Thanks.
Jun 20, 2017
31 posts
6 upvotes
Hi all,

I got a ticket back in April for Speeding, (26 Over a 50/Km limit)
I requested an early resolution meeting as it was my first ticket and was hoping that the prosecutor would work with me.
The offer wasn't enticing so I chose to fight in trial.
I got a trial date of April 2018.
I was wondering if I'd still be able to request a "stay" since the trial is a year after I got the ticket but since I requested an early resolution at first they may deem it was my fault that it was delayed?

Let me know what you guys think.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
7364 posts
930 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:07 pm
If you want to warn people, use WAZEAPP.
And you get yourself a ticket for using your cellphone while driving :D
Mahzooz wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:12 pm
It was 60 and police issue tickets at 72-75.
12-15km/h over on the highway at 100s is no problem, 72-75 in a 60 zone is 20-25% over the limit, I would keep the speeding to a 10-15%, so under 70 to be safe
Oct 2, 2015
324 posts
77 upvotes
Etobicoke, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
Aug 4th, 2017 4:20 pm
Make a note of the time and date of the call, including the person's name (if you have it). Include the details you mention here, that the officer now has 23 days to type one page (or so, presumably) of his chicken scratch.

Then if you don't get the typed notes by trial dates, ask for the case to be dismissed, as you couldn't prepare your defense because the prosecution didn't provide you proper disclosure. When the prosecution tries to say that you can ask for it now, and wants to just delay it another few months, tell the judge that you already took time off work for the trial, and 2 months before the trial you requested typed disclosure, and the request "got lost". Then 23 days before the trial, you talked to xxx in the prosecutor's office, and requested it again, when they magically "found" your request. Point out that asking for a one page document 23 days in advance doesn't seem unreasonable. And if the hand-written notes were so usable for evidence, why couldn't any clerical member in the prosecution office type up the notes? After all, they're perfectly legible and understandable...

You'll probably still get your case put over... But maybe you'll get a judge who sees your side of it. All you can do is show up and try.

C
I just got the typed notes.. About 2 weeks before my trial, I'm guessing the things you mentioned in your post won't be valid to present to the judge any more? They probably see 2 weeks as adequate time for the defense.

Ive attached a copy of the notes.
Images
  • Screenshot_2017-08-10-15-29-16.png
Aug 8, 2017
3 posts
joshmxpx wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 6:17 pm
Definately no chance if that's your defence. If you've never seen a LIDAR, it has a scope similar to a rifle and is very accurate. With a radar you could bring that up, but LIDAR is completely different
Thanks. Can anyone else (shrektrek?) provide any response to my questions
Aug 8, 2017
3 posts
ksale39 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 3:21 pm
Trial date is next week. Needed some help. Followed steps in forum and got disclosure (see below). Me not think have any chance at trial except officer or translator not show. Do I even bother to show up? Also if I plead not guilty in hope of getting a plea bargain does the prosecutor necessarily take it to trial (so at any point can i plead guilty?). Is there hope to go to trial and argue the radar could be mistake given street is parallel to a highway? i thinking the radar gun could have picked up highway traffic or with the LIDAR is that no point?

Please provides any feedback.

DISCLOSURE-

Speed Limit:60 km/h
Speed Zone Type:std
Date:99 aug 2016
Time:7:49 am
Equipment Make & Number:ultra lyte lr b UX023307
Testing:6:30 am
Testing Result:functioning as per manufacturers recommendations
Qualified Operator/Qualification Date:october 24 2015
Weather:sunny
Road Conditions:paved good dry
Area:commercial
Traffic:light
Estimated Speed:85 km/h
Lane:east bound
Distance:274.6m
Speed:90 km/h
Observation:operation white van obviously travelling greater than 60 km/h. raised and
activated lidar. confirmed speeding. 90 km/h. activated emerge lights and conducted tstop as it passed east bound. no
emergency,
[EEvid]
Looking for feedback from anyone else (shektrek?)
Aug 9, 2017
1 posts
Hello,

I received a ticket last week for speeding in Montreal and I got 2 points. According to the ticket I was 20km over (70 in a 50 zone). (driving a road vehicle at a speed in excess the limit indicated on the traffic sign). actually this is the first ticket in my life for speed.
is there any way to defense against it

Thx a lot
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5769 posts
107 upvotes
Scarborough
I just got my typed notes after a 2nd request. I've attached the written and typed notes. Any advice would be great. Trail is in October

His car was parked on the grass facing away from me if that adds anything.

Thanks
Images
  • ticket.jpg
Jun 15, 2017
328 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Mahzooz wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 10:00 am
Can this help me?
No I dont think it will help you at all to mention any of that.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
328 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
sgogeta4 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:29 am
Hi all, I had a question that I hope someone could help with. I requested a disclosure for a speeding ticket and the note I got back from the officer was typed gibberish. Is there any way to get clarification or if anyone knows the lingo could chime in? The ticket is written exactly:

ux018761 800]
80 x p
ccd
cu
lead
l1@214
w/s
grn sub ty
1 occ 2 doc

I was charged with speeding 60 in a 40 zone, actual speed was 80. I drive a Green Subaru Forester, was the only passenger and did have insurance and driver's license - which I presume are what a few of the lines state. Thanks.
Send another request for disclosure and include a copy of what you got and say that you can not properly prepare your defense as you have no idea what anything in the disclosure you received means, so please ask that officer provide explanation of what each lines means and what all the abbreviations mean.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
328 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Ishak10 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 11:51 am
Hi all,

I got a ticket back in April for Speeding, (26 Over a 50/Km limit)
I requested an early resolution meeting as it was my first ticket and was hoping that the prosecutor would work with me.
The offer wasn't enticing so I chose to fight in trial.
I got a trial date of April 2018.
I was wondering if I'd still be able to request a "stay" since the trial is a year after I got the ticket but since I requested an early resolution at first they may deem it was my fault that it was delayed?

Let me know what you guys think.

Trial date would need to be 18+ months after the date that you request a trial, which in this case is the early resolution meeting, not the date of the offence.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
328 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
ksale39 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 4:31 pm
Looking for feedback from anyone else (shektrek?)
LIDAR is not like radar, and uses a sight to pinpoint an exact vehicle, so the likely hood of it being the wrong vehicle is slim to none.

The notes do not say anything about testing the unit AFTER the incident. They are supposed to test it both before and after.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
328 posts
78 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
lithiumli wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 5:12 pm
I just got my typed notes after a 2nd request. I've attached the written and typed notes. Any advice would be great. Trail is in October

His car was parked on the grass facing away from me if that adds anything.

Thanks
Well there is no mention of ID or of your speed or the speed of the zone in those notes. Although the officer will most likely refer to the ticket itself to get that information.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)