Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Jun 15, 2017
202 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
lithiumli wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 5:12 pm
I just got my typed notes after a 2nd request. I've attached the written and typed notes. Any advice would be great. Trail is in October

His car was parked on the grass facing away from me if that adds anything.

Thanks
Well there is no mention of ID or of your speed or the speed of the zone in those notes. Although the officer will most likely refer to the ticket itself to get that information.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Apr 6, 2003
394 posts
26 upvotes
Hi,

I just got a "Drive Motor Vehicle, no validation on plate" fine.

However, my wife noticed that the license plate recorded on the ticket is missing a letter (ABC123 vs ABCD123).

Would this be sufficient to have it thrown out?
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3677 posts
187 upvotes
Betard wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 8:06 pm
Hi,

I just got a "Drive Motor Vehicle, no validation on plate" fine.

However, my wife noticed that the license plate recorded on the ticket is missing a letter (ABC123 vs ABCD123).

Would this be sufficient to have it thrown out?
no, not a fatal error, ticket will be amended at court
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
1375 posts
342 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Well I would like to thank the people who helped me in this thread in regards to how I should go about fighting my speeding ticket.

I had my trial yesterday (Aug 10th) and long story short it didnt work. I ended up accepting the same early resolution deal I got when I arrived in the court to begin with. My defense that the officer did not send me typed out notes didnt work in my favor, the officer was there and she went over the notes with me outside the court room and then the judge asked me what I want to do now. I stated many times that I cannot have a defense in these 15 minutes of seeing the notes but she made a valid point in that what do I expect to be my defense. In other words, now that I know what the officer wrote, is it really worth it to go to trial over this.

I also brought up the fact that I cannot get days off work or I cannot afford to take days off but again that did not work either...I settled for a reduced ticket of running a stop sign or something with a $75 dollar fine rather than what the original ticket was which was 20 over the speed limit.

Regardless, I would still like to thank the people who help in this thread, I learned something new and hopefully never have to use it again lol.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5755 posts
103 upvotes
Scarborough
So do I have any defence here? Or am I going to have to hope the cop doesn't show up?

ShrekTek wrote:
Aug 10th, 2017 7:56 pm
Well there is no mention of ID or of your speed or the speed of the zone in those notes. Although the officer will most likely refer to the ticket itself to get that information.
Jun 3, 2007
223 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Is it worth it going to court since my ticket has already been reduced from 80 (original speed) to 60 in a 40 zone? I heard that I have to fight back at 80 in a 40 zone and chances are they won't reduce further than it already is at 60 in a 40 zone.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4450 posts
2088 upvotes
Edmonton
sgogeta4 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:12 am
Is it worth it going to court since my ticket has already been reduced from 80 (original speed) to 60 in a 40 zone? I heard that I have to fight back at 80 in a 40 zone and chances are they won't reduce further than it already is at 60 in a 40 zone.
You can ask for a trial and request disclosure without risking anything. After you view the disclosure, you can decide if you want to continue fighting it in court. If you do, you risk having them bump it back up to 80 in a 40 zone, however. But that won't happen until you actually go to court.

C
Jun 15, 2017
202 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
lithiumli wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 2:03 am
So do I have any defence here? Or am I going to have to hope the cop doesn't show up?
My opinion is that if the officer shows up and it goes to trial that you would probably lose.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
202 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
sgogeta4 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 9:12 am
Since it was reduced by officer already, most likely you will not get a further reduction. Although maybe the prosecutor will be in a good mood that day and if you ask for 15 over instead of 20 over MAYBE they will consider it (but no guarantees). You decide to actually proceed with the trial and plead not guilty and then you lose, they can amend the ticket back up to the original speed of 40 over.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 3, 2007
223 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the advice. Once I get clarification from the disclosure, I'll re-evaluate. If I decide to not fight the ticket after reviewing the disclosure, do I just request early resolution on the day of the trial?
Sep 19, 2010
48 posts
35 upvotes
I need help in the best way to tackle my parking ticket.
I was in U of Toronto, paid for parking, but forgot to display the ticket on the dashboard.
Predictably, I was fined.
I went to the office to appeal, the person there said he was not authorised to waive it, and said something to the effect that the valid parking ticket I showed could have belonged to someone!
I was given an appeal date.
How best should I approach this during the appeal?
Thanks in advance.
Nov 5, 2005
65 posts
7 upvotes
Hi I got a speeding ticket in may this year and just got trial date for June of next year in Richmond hill york region just now ( took about 3 months to get trial date). I'm planning to submit request for disclosure. Question is should I submit letter to ask for earlier trial date ? Planning to use the sec11b but im not sure if they would actually move the trial date earlier.

Also not sure if this works given the change in 2016.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 28, 2005
5755 posts
103 upvotes
Scarborough
If you used a credit card, print out your statement that shows you paid for parking.
gryphon88 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 11:00 pm
I need help in the best way to tackle my parking ticket.
I was in U of Toronto, paid for parking, but forgot to display the ticket on the dashboard.
Predictably, I was fined.
I went to the office to appeal, the person there said he was not authorised to waive it, and said something to the effect that the valid parking ticket I showed could have belonged to someone!
I was given an appeal date.
How best should I approach this during the appeal?
Thanks in advance.
Aug 11, 2017
1 posts
I received a ticket for failing to display N sign and, on that same ticket I received an offence for speeding but it is crossed out. If I dispute the ticket can I get charged for speeding?
Last edited by Bayan52 on Aug 12th, 2017 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 20, 2014
154 posts
25 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Got pulled over for "84 in a 60" by TPS in scarb. Clean record, first time being pulled over. He reduced the ticket to a 70 in a 60; $40 no points.

I was keeping with the pace of traffic (not a defense I know) and there was a car in the right lane ahead of me as we were approaching the apex of an incline. Any chance he could've picked up that car instead of mine?

Should I request disclosure to see what equipment he was using and notes he kept? I'm a month away from turning 25 and am thinking about the insurance repercussions in the coming years. I read that there is no difference in a "70 in a 60" vs "90 in a 60" in terms of insurance increase is this generally true? I'm with all-state if that matters.

Pay the fine + insurance or fight?

Thanks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)