Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Nov 20, 2014
153 posts
25 upvotes
Stouffville, ON
Got pulled over for "84 in a 60" by TPS in scarb. Clean record, first time being pulled over. He reduced the ticket to a 70 in a 60; $40 no points.

I was keeping with the pace of traffic (not a defense I know) and there was a car in the right lane ahead of me as we were approaching the apex of an incline. Any chance he could've picked up that car instead of mine?

Should I request disclosure to see what equipment he was using and notes he kept? I'm a month away from turning 25 and am thinking about the insurance repercussions in the coming years. I read that there is no difference in a "70 in a 60" vs "90 in a 60" in terms of insurance increase is this generally true? I'm with all-state if that matters.

Pay the fine + insurance or fight?

Thanks.
Jun 15, 2017
105 posts
11 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
sgogeta4 wrote:
Aug 11th, 2017 3:39 pm
Thanks for the advice. Once I get clarification from the disclosure, I'll re-evaluate. If I decide to not fight the ticket after reviewing the disclosure, do I just request early resolution on the day of the trial?
You do not request early resolution, but if you show up on trial date you can speak to prosecutor before trial starts.

You can also just pay the ticket anytime up to the trial date, or just not show up for the trial at all and you will be deemed not to dispute it and be convicted that way.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
105 posts
11 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
acint wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 1:17 am
Hi I got a speeding ticket in may this year and just got trial date for June of next year in Richmond hill york region just now ( took about 3 months to get trial date). I'm planning to submit request for disclosure. Question is should I submit letter to ask for earlier trial date ? Planning to use the sec11b but im not sure if they would actually move the trial date earlier.

Also not sure if this works given the change in 2016.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Pretty much needs to be 18 months now in order to win 11B, unless you are very good at arguing in court.
Read this: https://www.ontariohighwaytrafficact.co ... t7680.html
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
105 posts
11 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
4drsprt wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 11:23 am
Got pulled over for "84 in a 60" by TPS in scarb. Clean record, first time being pulled over. He reduced the ticket to a 70 in a 60; $40 no points.

I was keeping with the pace of traffic (not a defense I know) and there was a car in the right lane ahead of me as we were approaching the apex of an incline. Any chance he could've picked up that car instead of mine?

Should I request disclosure to see what equipment he was using and notes he kept? I'm a month away from turning 25 and am thinking about the insurance repercussions in the coming years. I read that there is no difference in a "70 in a 60" vs "90 in a 60" in terms of insurance increase is this generally true? I'm with all-state if that matters.

Pay the fine + insurance or fight?

Thanks.
Plead not guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial, then you can request disclosure. Once you get the officers notes, post them here so we can review and see if you have a defense.

And yes for insurance, they do not care about demerits so 10 over with 0 demerits can cause same increase as 24 over with 3 demerits.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Dec 16, 2016
14 posts
Thank you
ShrekTek wrote:
Aug 8th, 2017 9:52 pm
If you renewed it right away, then take proof of the renewal of sticker to court with you.

The prosecutor MAY offer to withdraw the charge. They are under no obligation to do so, but sometimes with these paperwork issues, if you show that you fixed it right away, they MIGHT let you off. No guarantee, but worht a try. You can try Early Resolution option if it is offered on the ticket, otherwise plead NOT GUILTY and request a trial and then just talk to prosecutor before court starts on your trial date.
Feb 15, 2017
6 posts
Hey guys,

I have a court date this Wednesday in Brantford (I live in London). I was unaware that I could submit an application to stop my trial if I did not receive disclosure. I sent a request for disclosure around 5 or 6 months ago and haven't received anything. The prosecutor at the early resolution meeting confirmed that she received the request but the police officer was on medical leave and has not filled out the disclosure information.

My question is: Since I cannot stop my trial (it's not 15 days prior to the court date), what do I say when I am in court? Do I need to still bring the 4F form?

Thanks,

Aaron
Apr 6, 2017
6 posts
Hello Chaps

Court date on Tuesday. I am fighting a speeding ticket (75 km/h in a 60 km/h zone). So what I have done so far is:
1. Applied for a disclosure 3 times - once via fax, twice via registered mail - never received anything
2. filed for a stay - via fax, albeit on August 2nd, August 15 is the trial date - so clearly less than 15 days

How should I go about fighting this ticket in court?

Do i first point out that I applied for a stay? or is the stay granted before even stepping in the courtroom?

If I have to argue my case in court, how should I go about arguing? is raising the point that I filed for the disclosure, and received nothing valid grounds to drop the charge? what else can/should i argue?

any other tips and advice would be well appreciated!

Thanks!
May 1, 2012
92 posts
6 upvotes
Markham
Hi
I got a ticket for not stop at stop sign 10 days ago, I have to deal with it now, here is what I will do later:
1, I should sign on option 3 and write down my personal information, address, post code etc. As I read , both option 1 and option 2 are about pay fine.
2. Registered mail send it out tomorrow for trial.
3, wait for the trial date mail.

Am I right ?

Thanks.

I plead guilty online for 75 on 60 zone less than 2 years ago, I hope this one could be postponed until next May.
The court is at Richmond Hill Ontario, no idea about how fast York region handles those kind of issues.
Oct 25, 2011
209 posts
11 upvotes
Ryan2002 wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 12:59 pm
Hey guys,

I have a court date this Wednesday in Brantford (I live in London). I was unaware that I could submit an application to stop my trial if I did not receive disclosure. I sent a request for disclosure around 5 or 6 months ago and haven't received anything. The prosecutor at the early resolution meeting confirmed that she received the request but the police officer was on medical leave and has not filled out the disclosure information.

My question is: Since I cannot stop my trial (it's not 15 days prior to the court date), what do I say when I am in court? Do I need to still bring the 4F form?

Thanks,

Aaron
Bring proof of requests sent. Expect to adjourn to a later date. Consider 11b.
Feb 15, 2017
6 posts
anusanzonline wrote:
Aug 13th, 2017 9:34 pm
Bring proof of requests sent. Expect to adjourn to a later date. Consider 11b.
I only send one request, but when I went for my early resolution meeting I asked the prosecutor if I should re-send my request and she said "No" as she had already received it.

If the police officer does not show up, will the case be dropped? What are the chances of the case being dropped due to the lack of disclosure?

Thanks!
Aug 13, 2017
3 posts
Hi,

I got a 28km/hr over 60 and set fine is 105, which unfortunately is correct.

Although, I am aiming for a fatal error: When I asked the officer how many points I got, she replied '2' (but, it's actually 3). Can this be used as a fatal error ?

Thanks
Deal Addict
May 8, 2002
3604 posts
159 upvotes
pctv12 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2017 2:01 am
Hi,

I got a 28km/hr over 60 and set fine is 105, which unfortunately is correct.

Although, I am aiming for a fatal error: When I asked the officer how many points I got, she replied '2' (but, it's actually 3). Can this be used as a fatal error ?

Thanks
No it cannot. Police don't issue points anyway, so what s/he said has no relevance, just misinformed.
Sep 19, 2010
48 posts
35 upvotes
lithiumli wrote:
Aug 12th, 2017 2:12 am
If you used a credit card, print out your statement that shows you paid for parking.
ok!
Oct 18, 2009
147 posts
48 upvotes
@ okhmily, for number 2, I thought only you or your rep must go in person to request a trial, check your ticket carefully
May 7, 2014
23 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hi ,
I am a resident of Manitoba and while traveling to Saskatchewan last week , I got a speeding ticket . My bigger worry right now is if my license will get suspended or not .
Can you please suggest me that if I pay the fine in Saskatchewan , will they share the ticket and incident details with the Manitoba MPI ?

You help will be very much appreciated .

Thanks
Steve