Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2015
172 posts
11 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Hi there.

I got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I slowed down for the car in front but took a right without stopping. I didn't even notice the sign. Not sure why, maybe because it was sunny etc...anyway I screwed up. I also wasn't wearing my sunglasses instead of my glasses, which although being very low power (1.25) are required for driving. The officer said he could give me two tickets (not wearing glasses, stop sign) but was being lenient.

At my court date the prosecution offered to reduce the ticket to 'Disobey Sign" which will be two demerit points. I asked for a later trial date so I could consider my options.
The officer wasn't present at the trial but upon asking the prosecution, I was told that he would come when the trial commences and if he is needed.

My retrial is tomorrow and I am wondering if I should take the reduced charge or should I fight it and take my chances with the judge?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 23, 2008
4731 posts
2309 upvotes
Edmonton
fractall wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:53 am
Hi there.

I got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I slowed down for the car in front but took a right without stopping. I didn't even notice the sign. Not sure why, maybe because it was sunny etc...anyway I screwed up. I also wasn't wearing my sunglasses instead of my glasses, which although being very low power (1.25) are required for driving. The officer said he could give me two tickets (not wearing glasses, stop sign) but was being lenient.

At my court date the prosecution offered to reduce the ticket to 'Disobey Sign" which will be two demerit points. I asked for a later trial date so I could consider my options.
The officer wasn't present at the trial but upon asking the prosecution, I was told that he would come when the trial commences and if he is needed.

My retrial is tomorrow and I am wondering if I should take the reduced charge or should I fight it and take my chances with the judge?
Did you get the disclosure notes? That would tell you whether it's worth fighting. From the sounds of things, you don't have any real defense.

I would guess that either ticket would count as a minor offense with regards to insurance, so the hit on that perspective would be the same. The demerit points are meaningless unless you've been racking up tickets. So if the discount on the fine is worthwhile, you may want to take the reduction and call it a day, because if it goes to court, your only hope is that the officer doesn't show up. You could go to court and see if the officer is there, but you may or may not be able to take the reduction at that time.

C
Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2015
172 posts
11 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Well I will be in court and for the date and take the reduced sentence. Assuming it's still on the table as I was told it will be. If I'm lucky the officer won't be there. if not I'll take whatever is coming, after all I should've been more careful.
Jr. Member
Oct 6, 2013
103 posts
14 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Hi there.

Today, (Sept. 12/2017) I got my first ticket here in Alberta.
I was driving displaying an expired license plate, it was my mistake, I had no idea that it was expired.

After the issued ticket, I went directly to a Register Office and renew my plate.

Now what are my options?
Court date is set to November (will not inform actual dates for privacy) and the voluntary payment option is $310.00

Thanks for any advice.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 27, 2014
3564 posts
834 upvotes
Canuckland
virtuosit wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:02 pm
Hi there.

Today, (Sept. 12/2017) I got my first ticket here in Alberta.
I was driving displaying an expired license plate, it was my mistake, I had no idea that it was expired.

After the issued ticket, I went directly to a Register Office and renew my plate.

Now what are my options?
Court date is set to November (will not inform actual dates for privacy) and the voluntary payment option is $310.00

Thanks for any advice.
Not sure there but Ontario allows you to renew it for first time offenders
Sr. Member
May 10, 2006
883 posts
299 upvotes
Toronto
Just got my first speeding ticket today in Ontario. It was 20 km over the speed limit. The fine itself is not too steep ($95) but I'm worried about the demerit points. The police car is merging when he flagged me. I don't think he has a radar but I'm not sure if someone else used a radar and he was the one who catches the offender.

What should be my first course of action? Meet with the prosecutor or go to trial?
Mobile: $40 - Telus Student 50 Plan MTM ($10 BYOD) - 500 mins anytime, eve/wknds @ 5PM, 5GB data, unl text, FAV10, CID and VM25
Cable/Internet: $104+tax - VIP, Gigabit, PVR, HD Box
Home Phone: $0 - Obi200/FPL with Google Voice (free call Can/US)
Member
Jun 15, 2017
258 posts
70 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
fractall wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 11:53 am
Hi there.

I got a ticket for not stopping at a stop sign. I slowed down for the car in front but took a right without stopping. I didn't even notice the sign. Not sure why, maybe because it was sunny etc...anyway I screwed up. I also wasn't wearing my sunglasses instead of my glasses, which although being very low power (1.25) are required for driving. The officer said he could give me two tickets (not wearing glasses, stop sign) but was being lenient.

At my court date the prosecution offered to reduce the ticket to 'Disobey Sign" which will be two demerit points. I asked for a later trial date so I could consider my options.
The officer wasn't present at the trial but upon asking the prosecution, I was told that he would come when the trial commences and if he is needed.

My retrial is tomorrow and I am wondering if I should take the reduced charge or should I fight it and take my chances with the judge?
So assuming you got disclosure, and reviewed the officers notes, and the notes are correct and support the charge, then most likely you would lose if you tried to fight it at trial. So therefore yes you should take the reduced charge the prosecutor offered you.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Member
Jun 15, 2017
258 posts
70 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
malaujai wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 8:50 am
Could anyone provide any insight into this? It's been a while now and I'm starting to sweat over missing a step lol
The NOTICE OF OFFENCE is the actual ticket, but does not really matter whether you have copy or not.

Once you get your Notice of Trial with a trial date, you need to then send prosectuor letter asking for disclosure (copy of officers notes). Once you get the notes, review them and determine if everything is correct.\If something is missing then maybe you can beat it at trial.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Member
Jun 15, 2017
258 posts
70 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
DealCanuck wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 10:42 pm
Not sure there but Ontario allows you to renew it for first time offenders
This is not correct. In Ontario if you get a ticket for this and renew it right away, the prosecutor MAY offer you a plea deal and/or drop the ticket but they have no obligation to do this, so the charge could still stand and you could still be convicted.

Not sure how it works in Alberta, but I would bring proof of renewal to trial and see if prosecutor will drop it because you fixed it right away.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Member
Jun 15, 2017
258 posts
70 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
jigsatics wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 10:41 am
Just got my first speeding ticket today in Ontario. It was 20 km over the speed limit. The fine itself is not too steep ($95) but I'm worried about the demerit points. The police car is merging when he flagged me. I don't think he has a radar but I'm not sure if someone else used a radar and he was the one who catches the offender.

What should be my first course of action? Meet with the prosecutor or go to trial?
You say you are worried about demerits, so 20 over is 3 demerits and 15 over is 0 demerits. But remember that demerits have nothing to do with INSURANCE increases... a 0 demerit speeding ticket will cause insurance to increase the same as a 3 demerit so there is no savings from an insurance point of view to get it reduced.

If your only goal is to try and get it reduced to 15 over with 0 demerits, then maybe early resolution will work for you.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Newbie
Mar 9, 2014
40 posts
33 upvotes
Oakville ON
Hey everyone, my wife got a ticket for driving with an expired license. She didn't know her license had expired as we've been in the hospital for over a month after giving birth to our first child and she didn't do very much driving at all since. It was expired for roughly 3 weeks. After getting the ticket, she immediately renewed her license that same afternoon.

The cop was nice enough to tell her to go challenge it in court but would it be better to take the early resolution option or go with a full court date? We're not challenging the fact that it was expired, but hoping to get it reduced or maybe even wiped out.
Newbie
Jun 10, 2017
4 posts
1 upvote
Hello,

I got a ticket for parking within 3 meters from the intersection. I have it reviewed through online (Winnipeg Parking Authority site) on Aug 13. In the email response, it said a screening office will be in contact with me within 15 business days after the day I submitted my request. however, they didn't get back to me until Sept 8 telling me that I will have to pay the full price. :(

could the delay in response be a legit reason to fight the ticket?

Thank you.
Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2015
172 posts
11 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
CNeufeld wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 1:16 pm
Did you get the disclosure notes? That would tell you whether it's worth fighting. From the sounds of things, you don't have any real defense.

I would guess that either ticket would count as a minor offense with regards to insurance, so the hit on that perspective would be the same. The demerit points are meaningless unless you've been racking up tickets. So if the discount on the fine is worthwhile, you may want to take the reduction and call it a day, because if it goes to court, your only hope is that the officer doesn't show up. You could go to court and see if the officer is there, but you may or may not be able to take the reduction at that time.

C
fractall wrote:
Sep 12th, 2017 3:13 pm
Well I will be in court and for the date and take the reduced sentence. Assuming it's still on the table as I was told it will be. If I'm lucky the officer won't be there. if not I'll take whatever is coming, after all I should've been more careful.
ShrekTek wrote:
Sep 13th, 2017 12:43 pm
So assuming you got disclosure, and reviewed the officers notes, and the notes are correct and support the charge, then most likely you would lose if you tried to fight it at trial. So therefore yes you should take the reduced charge the prosecutor offered you.
Update: Went to court today. Prosecution offered me the same deal but I decided to go with the trial option initially. I figured maybe the cop wouldn't show up since he wasn't already there. Or if he showed up I would try to plead my case to the judge.

After the intial session (guilty verdicts), the officer did show up. I was ready to plead my case, but someone at the court advised me against it. She said unless I can prove I'm innocent, there was no point of taking it to trial. I should just take the reduced charge. I spoke with the prosecutor and she agreed to still give me the reduced charge which was "Disobey sign" with 2 DM pts, and $60 fine (reduced from 4DM + $85).
Jr. Member
Nov 3, 2005
105 posts
7 upvotes
I got a speeding ticket two months ago in the city of Toronto. I was charged over $100 for 25 km over the limit (40km/h). I was going downhill and the road was covered with thick leafy trees. It was bright enough for daylight driving but the downhill part had no direct sunlight, just the surrounding light. I've checked out this thread (not entirely, it's large), ticketcombat.com, and ShrekTek.ca, and other online resources. I've requested a trial and got the notice of trial two days ago. I am preparing my disclosure request. My goal is avoid insurance increase. I would pay the fine if it wouldn't affect my insurance premium. This is my first ticket in more than 20 years. I have been with this insurer for 5 years with low rate.
Should I contact my insurer to inquire if a conviction or guilty plea would increase my premium before going ahead with a trial? What would be my strategy going forward? Thank you.
Newbie
Sep 15, 2017
5 posts
Hi I live in Vancouver B.C. and got hit with a 600 dollar fine for driving without insurance. The issue is I was riding an electric skateboard, and not operating a car. Should I dispute the ticket. I did technically break the law because the mva defines anything with a motor on it as a vehicle.

Top