Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Oct 11, 2017
1 posts
Hi, I got a question for disputing parking ticket, When I requested a trial option is it possible for them to charge me for other things like sticker expired?
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1258 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
Oops, so I didn't see this thread, but any suggestions to lower a parking ticket.
Is pleading guilty asking for leniancy (along with a reason), the best approach?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4442 posts
2072 upvotes
Edmonton
User330877 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:34 pm
Hi, I got a question for disputing parking ticket, When I requested a trial option is it possible for them to charge me for other things like sticker expired?
You can request disclosure, and see what else is noted in the officer's notes. If it's not in there, you should be safe.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4442 posts
2072 upvotes
Edmonton
blindemboss wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 3:34 pm
Oops, so I didn't see this thread, but any suggestions to lower a parking ticket.
Is pleading guilty asking for leniancy (along with a reason), the best approach?
Not sure if it's the best approach, but if you're sure you're guilty, then it might be your only option. Only you can decide if it's worth actually going there to spend your time doing that.

C
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1258 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:06 pm
Not sure if it's the best approach, but if you're sure you're guilty, then it might be your only option. Only you can decide if it's worth actually going there to spend your time doing that.

C
Thanks. Yeah a $150 ticket is worth it.
I'm guilty but was simply parked for a minute assisting elderly parent to get to his apartment.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4442 posts
2072 upvotes
Edmonton
blindemboss wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:13 pm
I'm guilty but was simply parked for a minute assisting elderly parent to get to his apartment.
No offense, but the ticketing officer probably had no idea what you were doing. They just give out tickets to people parked improperly, and you were in a transit zone. They put those in place for a reason (to make sure the buses containing other elderly people, BTW) can stop where they're supposed to be able to stop, and not unsafely.

Does your father's building not have a loading zone? Perhaps you should take it up with the property management to request one...

C
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1258 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:28 pm
No offense, but the ticketing officer probably had no idea what you were doing. They just give out tickets to people parked improperly, and you were in a transit zone. They put those in place for a reason (to make sure the buses containing other elderly people, BTW) can stop where they're supposed to be able to stop, and not unsafely.

Does your father's building not have a loading zone? Perhaps you should take it up with the property management to request one...

C
No loading zone, and no offense taken. I know I'm guilty.
At this point, i hoping for a reduced fine, perhaps if the Justice of the peace has some compassion and understanding of the situation.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4442 posts
2072 upvotes
Edmonton
blindemboss wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:09 pm
At this point, i hoping for a reduced fine, perhaps if the Justice of the peace has some compassion and understanding of the situation.
Did you have an option for an early resolution? You might be able to negotiate a deal without wasting your time waiting for your case to come up in court.

C
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2006
1258 posts
231 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:18 pm
Did you have an option for an early resolution? You might be able to negotiate a deal without wasting your time waiting for your case to come up in court.

C
No, not that I'm aware of.
I did call City Hall to see if I could go through that new dispute resolution process. But they said it only applies to new offences moving forward.
Apr 10, 2012
12 posts
Brampton
So i checked early resolution on the back of a ticket I received in late August of this year. I received a letter in the mail with the original ticket I sent to the court attached. What exactly is it trying to say?
Images
  • 22429390_10211643100567980_1502462653_o.jpg
Jan 18, 2015
108 posts
156 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
So here's the story, I ran over a red and got pulled over. I didn't have my license or insurance at the time and couldn't surrender it over the officer. The officer was lenient enough to give me a warning and charged me with failure to surrender insurance and license. Is there any thing I could do? Is my insurance going to go up? Help please and thank you!
Jun 15, 2017
201 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
User330877 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 2:34 pm
In Ontario, no.

Well to clarify, they have 6 months to charge you with an offence. But they can't charge you with something else because you plead not guilty to one ticket. So even if the officer notes talk about a bunch of other things you did wrong, and these get read at your trial, they can not charge you with any of those.
Last edited by ShrekTek on Oct 12th, 2017 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
201 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
blindemboss wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 4:13 pm
In Ontario, you should plead NOT GUILTY and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your trial date, then you can request disclosure (officers notes). Once you get the notes, you can decide if they have good case against you or not. If the case looks good, then you show up for trial date and talk to prosecutor before trial and see about them offering a reduction if you decide to plead guilty instead. Although they have no obligation to offer you a plea deal, a lot of times they will.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
201 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
blindemboss wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 5:09 pm
In Canada, you are INNOCENT until proven guilty ... that is the law and that is your RIGHT. Never admit guilt, and always make them prove it.
--
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
201 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
wilshere96 wrote:
Oct 12th, 2017 9:15 pm
So i checked early resolution on the back of a ticket I received in late August of this year. I received a letter in the mail with the original ticket I sent to the court attached. What exactly is it trying to say?
Congratulations, you win!

The officer did not file the ticket with the court office within the first 7 days, which means the ticket is gone away, never to bother you again. Put the letter in a safe place though, in case it somehow shows up on your record in the future (but it shouldn't).
--
--
ShrekTek.ca