Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Oct 25, 2011
211 posts
11 upvotes
phht wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 4:16 pm
I got a ticket "disobey stop sign, fail to stop" in North York but registering the ticket is in Scarboro at 1530 Markham rd. court house.
The past process was that I went to court, talked to prosecutor and agreed to plead guilty for lesser charge with no points and paid around 60% of the mark up ticket.
Is the process still the same? I heard that the process was streamlined like meeting with prosecutor rather than formal court room with judge, is it true?

edit: never mind - just read thru 20 pages of the thread, it seems the advise is to request trial date, get disclosure and take it to court.

You can meet the prosecutor for early resolution if you wish too.
Apr 23, 2008
539 posts
28 upvotes
anusanzonline wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:02 pm
You can meet the prosecutor for early resolution if you wish too.
How good is the early resolution? comparable to what prosecutor offers in court or worse? the offer threshold would be lesser charge with no point and around 60% from the original fine.
In the past early resolution was not favourable for the defendant as there were no pressure for the prosecutor to offer a good deal and it was a waste of time for the defendant.
Jun 3, 2007
230 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Oct 30th, 2017 10:59 am
Keep track of the times and efforts you made to get clarification. If you don't receive anything in time to prepare for your defense, use that to request a dismissal. If nothing else, you should be able to get your clarification and a delay.

C
So they just called and said that my disclosure is ready for pickup. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick it up to right before the trial since it's this Monday (today is Friday). Not sure if I can still request for a dismissal or a delay, but I guess I can look at it right before the trial and then decide? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!
Jun 15, 2017
265 posts
70 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
phht wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 1:35 pm
How good is the early resolution? comparable to what prosecutor offers in court or worse? the offer threshold would be lesser charge with no point and around 60% from the original fine.
In the past early resolution was not favourable for the defendant as there were no pressure for the prosecutor to offer a good deal and it was a waste of time for the defendant.
My experience is that early resolution is no different than meeting prosecutor before trial as far as plea deals that they may offer. The downside to early resolution is that (1) you probably will not have the benefit of reviewing disclosure before the meeting, and (2) you will still have to show up on trial date so this means an extra trip.

Save yourself the extra trip and just got for trial right away and get the disclosure before the trial so you know whether they have a case against you or not, and then if they offer you plea deal before trial you will know whether to take it or not.

Prosecutors have no obligation to offer you a plea deal whether at early resolution or at trial. But a lot of times they will.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Jun 15, 2017
265 posts
70 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
sgogeta4 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:15 pm
So they just called and said that my disclosure is ready for pickup. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick it up to right before the trial since it's this Monday (today is Friday). Not sure if I can still request for a dismissal or a delay, but I guess I can look at it right before the trial and then decide? Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated!
You have the right to properly prepare a defense a defense, and getting your disclosure less than 2 weeks before trial does not give you sufficient time to prepare and therefore you can ask for an adjournment and get another date.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
ShrekTek.ca
Nov 2, 2006
28 posts
I got a speeding ticket on Dec 16, 2016 for going 95 at a 60 zone.
My trial date is Dec 11, 2017.

It's 5 days from a year, since ticket to trial. I would like to 11b it but I don't believe I have a strong defence.

I already obtained a copy of the disclousure.

What should I do?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
tomsychau wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:50 pm
I got a speeding ticket on Dec 16, 2016 for going 95 at a 60 zone.
My trial date is Dec 11, 2017.

It's 5 days from a year, since ticket to trial. I would like to 11b it but I don't believe I have a strong defence.

I already obtained a copy of the disclousure.

What should I do?
You likely won't get your 11b, because the yardstick is set to 18 months. So you can either try to fight it with a weak defense, show up and try for a deal (or missing officer), or give up and pay the ticket.

C
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
sgogeta4 wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 2:15 pm
As ShrekTek says, show up and say that you received your disclosure too late to prepare a defense, and get a delay, if you need one after going over your disclosure. It means another appearance for you, so you'll have to decide whether it's worth it.

You could try asking for a dismissal, pointing to your multiple attempts at rectifying the situation (not sure if you've had other appearances as well), but I doubt it would be successful.

C
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5063 posts
573 upvotes
Mississauga
ShrekTek wrote:
Sep 30th, 2017 6:42 pm
Generally the officers notes are about as complete as they need to be.

If you have no experience in court, then 99% chance you will lose if you try to fight it in court. And most likely you will not be able to find a paralegal that would feel confident they could beat it for you.

There is a very very small chance at beating this, but it would require somebody skilled at cross-examination. The issues I would bring up are:
- that there were other vehicles behind the officer as well as yours and radar does not tell you which vehicle it is picking up. Radar operates in either Strongest mode or Fastest mode. Strongest mode picks up the speed of the strongest signal it is receiving, which would normally be the closest vehicle to antenna (assuming all the vehicles in range are similar in size). Fastest mode picks up the speed of the fastest signal it is receiving which can be anywhere within the range of the antenna (so it could be a vehicle that is 3000 or 4000 feet back out of normal visual observation of officer.
- does the officer have any other notes besides the ones provided? If not, then when did he write the notes? If he says he wrote them just after the incident, then that must mean he included second test time when he wrote the notes... oh wait, an officer can't write stuff in his notes he did not do yet and can't leave spaces in his notes and then add things later. So this could be a point to bring doubt to officers notes. If the officer DOES have other notes and simply copied from them onto the ones you got, why did you not recieve a copy of those notes in disclosure? Another good point.

If you show up for trial you might get the prosecutor to reduce the speed at least down to 29 over, so it may be worthwhile to try that if you are not interested in fighting it.

If the officer reduced the speed on your ticket down, and you choose to try and fight it at trial and then you lose at trial, they can raise it back up to higher speed. They can not raise it up just because you showed up for the trial, so prosecutor may still offer reduction if you plead guilty. To raise it back up, you actually have to show up for trial AND then plead Not Guilty in front of JP AND the trial has to start AND the officer has to get on the witness stand to testify AND you have to then lose the trial.
Well I gave it a shot and lost. Good experience nonetheless.

Now to wait for the insurance increase. :/
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4737 posts
2310 upvotes
Edmonton
Dinujan wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 3:23 pm
Well I gave it a shot and lost. Good experience nonetheless.

Now to wait for the insurance increase. :/
Did you get offered a reduction?

C
Jun 3, 2007
230 posts
21 upvotes
Toronto
CNeufeld wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2017 3:11 pm
As ShrekTek says, show up and say that you received your disclosure too late to prepare a defense, and get a delay, if you need one after going over your disclosure. It means another appearance for you, so you'll have to decide whether it's worth it.

You could try asking for a dismissal, pointing to your multiple attempts at rectifying the situation (not sure if you've had other appearances as well), but I doubt it would be successful.

C
Thanks, C and Shrek. I'll pick up the disclosure the day of court, will check to see if I remember/recognize the officer. Hopefully, he will no show (if he doesn't, then I feel like I should please not guilty and hope it gets thrown out). If not, I might request for adjournment.
Dec 11, 2009
352 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Got my first ever ticket after 12 years of driving (5 years here in Canada). Cop pulled me over (literally in front of my backyard) and I was very worried/flustered as I was never pulled by a cop, the 2 other people in the car and I had no idea what it was about, until she said that I blew right past a stop sign (136 (1) (a)). This was at a 3 way intersection, she was hiding beside a building in a location that you can't see her - definitely felt like a cash grab trap. There wasn't much of a talk with her, when she handed me the ticket I told her I never got a ticket before and she said "I'm sorry for your bad luck". I went back and took some pictures, also recorded a video of 3 cars rolling over the stop sign and her not doing anything about it - This leads me to believe that she does 1 every few minutes and I got unlucky to be picked (maybe that's what she meant by "Sorry for your back luck").

I honestly don't remember but it's possible I rolled over the stop sign, the signage is very clear (stop sign and white lines are new and visible) and she had clear view of the white line from where she was hiding.

Is there any point in fighting this? How often do these "Disobey Stop Sign" get dropped? My concern is the possible insurance increase (I'm with Belair direct) and not the $110 fee.
It's tempting to just pay and move on, would I be losing anything in this situation? (I read that insurance will probably not go up on 1 minor offence)
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4210 posts
220 upvotes
Markham
So I received notes from disclosure of failing to stop for a stop sign. The notes said I ran through it approximately @ 40km/h and that is ridiculous. There is a noted DVD that is also to be provided to me in 6-8 weeks since I requested disclosure but it may not make it to me by my trial date. What can I expect on this DVD? Dash cam footage from the officer's vehicle?

Provided nothing in the DVD can prove I ran the stop sign at that speed aside from maybe showing a rolling stop (unless their car setup also captures speed of vehicle in context), what could my defense be for throwing out the ticket? The cars in front of me definitely did a rolling stop and I have this on my dash cam, it was just I checked for incoming traffic before I approached the stop sign so it could appear I had a little more speed before entering the intersection but I still proceeded with caution.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4210 posts
220 upvotes
Markham
MoreDealsPlease wrote:
Nov 4th, 2017 5:36 pm
Is there any point in fighting this? How often do these "Disobey Stop Sign" get dropped? My concern is the possible insurance increase (I'm with Belair direct) and not the $110 fee.
It's tempting to just pay and move on, would I be losing anything in this situation? (I read that insurance will probably not go up on 1 minor offence)
I am fighting mine soon, first time in court so not much experience but I am fighting it on the premise that the other cars did it too (weak case) but that the officer noted I ran my sign at approx. 40km/h... Do they know how fast I have to accelerate with cars in front of me entering the intersection for that speed to be achieved?

Based on some checks as I 'shopped' around for insurance with this conviction, all insurance companies went up a bit for this infraction. You may want to check the same or call your insurance hotline anonymously to ask.
Nov 3, 2017
3 posts
Any advice??

I didnt have me most recent insuance card in the car when i got pulled over last night. I do have insurance, but old card was in car instead. (Got pulled over on way home, three doors down from my driveway :( random stop for papers )

Could i fight the $172.50 ticket since i do have insurance? I explained it was in my wallet, i forgot my wallet at home, when i got up at 1030 at night to go get tom at work in dieppe. I took my purse, but forgot wallet. :( i could have walked home before he was done on the computer. I really had two houses between me and the id he wanted :(

I have heard that normally they give you 24 hours to bring in the proof. I could have walked the three doors and provided it in two minutes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)