Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
j4yin wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 4:51 pm
Hi ShrekTek,
After 6 months I got my disclosures today as attached. Also there’s a DVD, I yet to review caz my mac doesn’t have a DVD drive. The only discrepancy is there were two cars in front of me. Anyways, please take a look and see if I have a good case? Lol
Since they have video avidence, they probably have a good case against me. In this case should I ask for a plea deal on the trial day? Also, I heard that they could add court fees on top of the fine if I lose at trail, is this true?
Thanks for your help! The trail is at the end of Feb. Fingers crossed.
Officers notes are good so not much hope of beating it. Even an experienced paralegal/lawyer would probably not be able to beat it.

Did you request testing procedures for LIDAR manual?

So chances of beating it are if officer does not show up (slim to none), or if officer did not follow proper testing procedure in manual (slim to none), or if you hire your own expert witness to counter the officers testimony (expensive).
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
Oct 3, 2008
11 posts
Waterloo, ON
ShrekTek wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 8:12 pm
Officers notes are good so not much hope of beating it. Even an experienced paralegal/lawyer would probably not be able to beat it.

Did you request testing procedures for LIDAR manual?

So chances of beating it are if officer does not show up (slim to none), or if officer did not follow proper testing procedure in manual (slim to none), or if you hire your own expert witness to counter the officers testimony (expensive).
Thanks for he input,
So what should I do? Ask for a plea deal on the court date or should I just pay the fine now? Can I still do that since I requested the trail?
Apr 20, 2008
288 posts
57 upvotes
I just got a speeding ticket in the mail. I'm thinking of fighting it. In the pictures I can see that the light was yellow before and when I was in the middle of the intersection. I was traveling at 98kph in 70kph zone according to the ticket. The road was snowed a little. I think I was trying to make the light and I wouldn't have been able to stop if I didn't speed up in time. This was in Calgary. I am worry that if I say that I was trying to make the light and the road was slippery and therefore I wouldn't have been able to stop in time that the judge will say that I was driving carelessly. I also don't know if I have the time to go to court. I heard that there are traffic agent people that can attend the court on your behalf and perhaps fight it for you. Is this a good idea? Has anyone uses a traffic agent before? Would it be considered as driving carelessly when the road is slippery and I sped up to make the light?
Apr 20, 2008
288 posts
57 upvotes
I just got a speeding ticket in the mail. I'm thinking of fighting it. In the pictures I can see that the light was yellow before and when I was in the middle of the intersection. I was traveling at 98kph in 70kph zone according to the ticket. The road was snowed a little. I think I was trying to make the light and I wouldn't have been able to stop if I didn't speed up in time. This was in Calgary. I am worry that if I say that I was trying to make the light and the road was slippery and therefore I wouldn't have been able to stop in time that the judge will say that I was driving carelessly. I also don't know if I have the time to go to court. I heard that there are traffic agent people that can attend the court on your behalf and perhaps fight it for you. Is this a good idea? Has anyone uses a traffic agent before? Would it be considered as driving carelessly when the road is slippery and I sped up to make the light?
Dec 15, 2015
347 posts
179 upvotes
Toronto
198886 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:12 am
Don't know Calgary, but basically 100 in a 70 in the snow? Lol, good luck with that one.
Apr 20, 2008
288 posts
57 upvotes
Yeah. Don't want to shoot myself in the foot for giving that excuse :(
Nov 22, 2017
45 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
dreamsite wrote:
Dec 13th, 2017 11:12 am
Hello All,

Received a speeding ticket for driving 102km on a 70 KM speed limit on Algonquin park on last October. All the way, road was 80 KM... was driving with 100KM. It was completely dark... missed the sign somewhat. I drove with 102 km for 30 Sec since there was a traffic signal ahead.

So my ques is, i did not selected a translator... did not receive any trial date... Can I add translator later?

Any suggestions for managing the ticket ? This is first time for me.

Thanks in advance.

Got this letter mentioning below:

A Resolution meeting has been scheduled for you ….an opportunity to speak to the prosecutor and determine if a possible resolution may be agreed upon. If you wish to exercise this option, please attend on Feb 6th 2017. Under the resolution process, depending on the facts of your offence and your driving record, the prosecutor may or may not offer a resolution…..

If you and the prosecutor can not come to an agreement resolution on this date, or the court declines to accept the resolution as proposed, oyu will be mailed a notice or trial for another date.

Now my ques is:

1. I selected trial option earlier, do I really need to attend this resolution meeting. Place is 300 KM far from my home.

2. If not, then do I need to respond to prosecutor that I will not be coming (how to do that?)

3. Whats should be my action point now?

Please let me have your valuable advise please. I am little worried :(
Images
  • Capture.JPG
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6412 posts
3519 upvotes
Edmonton
198886 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 8:16 am
First off, a photo radar ticket doesn’t affect your insurance or give you demerits. So fighting it may not be as important as it would be if it was an officer issued ticket.

Second, speeding is an absolute liability offence, meaning it doesn’t matter why you were speeding, just that you were speeding. So saying you sped up to make the light won’t help you.

Finally, you could go to court and ask for a reduced fine, or have someone else go for you. If you get someone else to go for you, I’d guess you’re going to pay them a significant cut of what you’d save, so there wouldn’t be much benefit.

I just pay my photo radar tickets and watch out at those intersections... And slow down. Since I don’t get paid time off and my hourly rate is enough to make it cheaper to just pay the ticket, that’s my choice. If you have time to fight it, knock yourself out. You very well might get it cut down. But it might take you a good chunk of your day to do it.

C
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
j4yin wrote:
Jan 10th, 2018 10:43 pm
Thanks for he input,
So what should I do? Ask for a plea deal on the court date or should I just pay the fine now? Can I still do that since I requested the trail?
Yes you can show up on trial date and ask prosecutor if they will drop it down whatever if you agree to plead guilty.
--
--
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
dreamsite wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 10:17 am
Got this letter mentioning below:

A Resolution meeting has been scheduled for you ….an opportunity to speak to the prosecutor and determine if a possible resolution may be agreed upon. If you wish to exercise this option, please attend on Feb 6th 2017. Under the resolution process, depending on the facts of your offence and your driving record, the prosecutor may or may not offer a resolution…..

If you and the prosecutor can not come to an agreement resolution on this date, or the court declines to accept the resolution as proposed, oyu will be mailed a notice or trial for another date.

Now my ques is:

1. I selected trial option earlier, do I really need to attend this resolution meeting. Place is 300 KM far from my home.

2. If not, then do I need to respond to prosecutor that I will not be coming (how to do that?)

3. Whats should be my action point now?

Please let me have your valuable advise please. I am little worried :(
I would send a letter to both the prosecutos office and to the provincial offences office stating that you will not be attending the early resolution meeting and would like to set a trial date.
--
--
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
6196 posts
991 upvotes
Mississauga
198886 wrote:
98 kph in a 70 kph and light snow you wont get any sympathy here.
Nov 22, 2017
45 posts
54 upvotes
Toronto
ShrekTek wrote:
Jan 11th, 2018 3:41 pm
I would send a letter to both the prosecutos office and to the provincial offences office stating that you will not be attending the early resolution meeting and would like to set a trial date.
+1!

Thanks ShrekTek. Just talked with the court. They said - if I dont want to have the early resolution I can just skip it. They will automatically schedule for the trial on a later day.
May 10, 2006
465 posts
50 upvotes
YYC
198886 wrote:
Why fight it? There are no points deducted from a speed camera. Just pay the bill and move on...