Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
5378 posts
2751 upvotes
Edmonton
Ghostst wrote:
Feb 8th, 2018 8:33 pm
Hi.

On Tuesday I was involved in an incident with a officer conducting a traffic violation with another motorist. The officer had pulled over the motorist in a right turn lane marked "no parking, no standing" also happened to be a bus stop and the right turn I need to take to get home.

In my car is my sister and her 7 month old daughter in a baby seat. I see the officers vehicle and come to a complete stop behind him, in the lane beside him. Cars are driving by in the left most lane. I slowly edge forward, stopping after a foot each time I do so and trying to show him I'm proactively taking steps of due dilligence. The officer is walking back from the other motorists window, he never signals me to stop or to go. I still slowly edge forward, foot always on my brakes, wondering when it will be ok to pass.

As he walks between my car and his cruiser he pushes in my side mirror and slams on my rear passenger window where my 7 month old niece is sitting. My vehicle was at a full stop. He's wildly gesturing as if to say I'm too close. He does not tell me to pull over.

Not wanting to deal with a cop who's already assaulted my vehicle, I slowly edge forward. He still hasn't made any command to stop or pull over. I want to get off the street as to avoid any chance of being rear ended. No command to stop. I assume he's having a bad day and I drive home around the corner.

30 minutes later someone is smashing on my front door to my house. I answer and lo and behold it is the same cop. He demands my identification and says "you hit me" I tell him I did not, and that he punched in my mirror. I tell him I won't show him my info until he calls his supervisor here. He threatens to arrest me as I stand in my house if I do not provide my info, and orders me to hang up my phone (boyfriend was on speaker as I was explaining to him about what had happened on the road.) I do and request his supervisor again.

He comes back with "failure to move over if safe to do, and a careless driving" tickets. And says "if you want to talk to my supervisor, call him."

After my boyfriend speaks with the supervisor, he tells him that he'd like to speak with me. I call him, he claims that he's seen the video and can see my car hit the officer with the mirror. I tell him that's impossible and he should clearly be able to see him striking my car.

He says the camera angle is too sharp and he can't see it but he can hear thuds on the car and he believes me. He explains my course of action and tells me to talk to my boyfriend and discuss what we want to do. I relay the talk to my boyfriend.

My boyfriend calls the supervisor again, wanting to clarify the evidence they have. The supervisor now says that he CANT see my car at all during the incident, and can only see it pull away with the mirror pushed in. He also admits that his officer did hit the vehicle but "did it to get you to stop". His officer also claims that he said "stop" but can't hear it or see and gesture of a stop command while the officer approached his cruiser. Both my sister and I were in the car and both of us know without a doubt that our stopped car did not hit the officer.

I don't know what to do.
What you do is the same thing you do for every other ticket you don't agree with. Say that you want a trial with officer present, and request your disclosure for the evidence that will be offered at the trial. You have you and your sister as a witness.

Frankly though, it sounds like there was very little room between your car and the officer's car, and you should have merged into the left lane (at least partially) to get by, rather than "squeezing" through. But your big concern should be the careless driving charge, so you can hopefully get that thrown out and then just have to deal with the "failure to move over" or whatever that charge was. Post the actual infraction number if you'd like more help.

C
Apr 23, 2014
807 posts
118 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
I have been noticing the cops parked on the on ramps running radar. most ramps indicate a speed of 30 km/hr and some off ramps at 50 km/hr. when I try and stick to those limits I find that it seems to encourage the driver behind me to drive aggressively, either honking, flashing lights, tailing very closely, etc... question I have is, has anyone actually ever received a speeding ticket on a ramp?
Jan 15, 2018
25 posts
6 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 11:46 am
What you do is the same thing you do for every other ticket you don't agree with. Say that you want a trial with officer present, and request your disclosure for the evidence that will be offered at the trial. You have you and your sister as a witness.

Frankly though, it sounds like there was very little room between your car and the officer's car, and you should have merged into the left lane (at least partially) to get by, rather than "squeezing" through. But your big concern should be the careless driving charge, so you can hopefully get that thrown out and then just have to deal with the "failure to move over" or whatever that charge was. Post the actual infraction number if you'd like more help.

C
I don't think her intent was squeezing through but not knowing how to right turn while properly moving around the officer obstructing the right hand turning lane.

If in doubt she should have passed the intersection skipping the right turn and turned around safety and left turned at the opposite end of the intersection rather than risking driving that closely to a stopped E.V. that's some very basic rules of the road.

We all gripe about getting tickets for minor speeding or mistaken speeding but this is a case we see where ticketing someone might be the only way they figure out they are doing something wrong or they will otherwise keep doing it. This isn't just for emergency vehicles but when you see civilian cars and trucks parked on the side of the road you should give them that one lane of space or move over as much as you can. People get hit on highways all the time because some continue to drive in the lane next to a stalled or parked vehicle.

The amazing thing is that based on her post, she feels she did nothing wrong. And if that wasn't astounding, it seems her boyfriend and sister doesn't think she did anything wrong either. In this case I kudo this officer for perhaps awaring this woman about her dangerous driving.
Feb 8, 2018
1 posts
Hello!

On January 16th, I was involved in a 2 car collision. I was travelling north bound on Dixie Road in Mississauga. I merged into a left turning lane and there was another vehicle slightly ahead of me in the lane to my right. I would have been in his blind spot. All of a sudden, he turned in front of me to make a U-turn. He was not in the left turning lane and he did not have his signal on. I was unable to stop in time and we collided. I had significant damage to my vehicle and he had barely any. I pulled into a lot right beside and called the police, etc. When the police arrived on scene, the other driver decided he wanted to lie to the cop and say that I was behind him in the left turning lane and rear-ended him. Based on lack of evidence and because we moved our vehicles, the cop put me at fault and gave me a ticket for "following too closely". I have requested an early resolution meeting with a prosecutor. My insurance has gone up like crazy. What are the chances of beating this ticket? If it is only lowered, will my insurance go down at all?

Thanks!!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
5378 posts
2751 upvotes
Edmonton
DavidA511606 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 3:53 pm
Hey, got in an accident a couple weeks ago. Have dashcam so link to footage is added in. Cars were stopped in closest two lanes due to traffic, far lane normally for parkers... Pulled up saw light about to turn yellow due to crosswalk countdown didnt see anyone coming in far lane so I made turn. If you listen closely you can hear other driver speed up to try to make yellow. Got hit and as spun around yellow just turns to red.

I am sure it is my fault, cops came, told him I have footage and he said watch it later and if I see anything weird let him know. He said he has to give me a "Unsafe Left Turn" ticket, he made it the min amount. I accepted blame as I assumed I just messed up somehow and was a little shaken up.

After watching video and seeing how the other driver sped up and went through yellow, I emailed officer with video and asked if he could toss out the ticket as i thought with the circumstances with the lanes backed up with traffic in the intersection maybe he would cut me a break. He replied "nope".

What would be best way to proceed. I understand it is most likely my fault, but the insurance increase, paying deductible of 1000 and now ticket really sucks, would be nice to be able at least to get out of ticket if possible.

That's a pretty classic "Unsafe Left Turn". As the driver turning, you're responsible for doing so safely. If that means clearing the intersection after the light turns red, that's what you do. You can try to fight it, but your video won't help you, and the other evidence (other driver's statement, you turning left, etc) is against you.

C
Feb 7, 2018
2 posts
Phillipspastamaker wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 12:24 pm
I don't think her intent was squeezing through but not knowing how to right turn while properly moving around the officer obstructing the right hand turning lane.

If in doubt she should have passed the intersection skipping the right turn and turned around safety and left turned at the opposite end of the intersection rather than risking driving that closely to a stopped E.V. that's some very basic rules of the road.

We all gripe about getting tickets for minor speeding or mistaken speeding but this is a case we see where ticketing someone might be the only way they figure out they are doing something wrong or they will otherwise keep doing it. This isn't just for emergency vehicles but when you see civilian cars and trucks parked on the side of the road you should give them that one lane of space or move over as much as you can. People get hit on highways all the time because some continue to drive in the lane next to a stalled or parked vehicle.

The amazing thing is that based on her post, she feels she did nothing wrong. And if that wasn't astounding, it seems her boyfriend and sister doesn't think she did anything wrong either. In this case I kudo this officer for perhaps awaring this woman about her dangerous driving.

To every officer I spoke with about the scenario, including the supervisor, they told me I should have stopped and waited, which is what I did. I was no where near the officer conducting his stop. He walked up to my vehicle, which was a good 7-8 feet away from his driver door.

It seems I've asked at a time when emotional people feel the need to inject their own reality, I will seek legal advice from people who judge based on fact patterns and not hypotheticals. Thank you for your time.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1148 posts
261 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ghostst wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 4:32 pm
To every officer I spoke with about the scenario, including the supervisor, they told me I should have stopped and waited, which is what I did. I was no where near the officer conducting his stop. He walked up to my vehicle, which was a good 7-8 feet away from his driver door.

It seems I've asked at a time when emotional people feel the need to inject their own reality, I will seek legal advice from people who judge based on fact patterns and not hypotheticals. Thank you for your time.
It actually sounds to me like this PO got all emotional because of proximity of your vehicle. Other people are right that you should have left more room between your card and the cruiser (actually, moved to a different lane), but it does not give this PO any rights to threaten you in your house, hit your vehicle, etc.
So, plead not guilty, request disclosure with all that footage that you now know exists (they have to provide it), and then go from there... If everything happened how you describe it, the charges against you are likely to be dropped.
Apr 18, 2017
161 posts
72 upvotes
Ghostst wrote:

I'll inject a bit of my own reality, or wishes for reality anyway.
Police should not be pulling people over just anywhere. People should be required to drive to a parking lot, exit ramp, or side road where they will not impede traffic, before pulling over.
The way it is now, it's dangerous for the police officer (which is why the move over laws were implemented )
but, it's dangerous to everyone else too by creating an unnecessary safety/road hazard and disrupting the safe and consistent flow of traffic.
"To every officer I spoke with about the scenario, including the supervisor, they told me I should have stopped and waited"
Being required to stop and wait, should rarely ever be a necessity if traffic stops are done proficiently and competently.
Jan 15, 2018
25 posts
6 upvotes
Ghostst wrote:

I didn't think you would see any reason as based on your post you seem to think the police officer was in the wrong when you didn't follow a basic rule of the road so I put it out there for educational purposes. All I know is that if your defense is the one you wrote above you're going to lose because you are 100 percent in the wrong.

Jan 15, 2018
25 posts
6 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 4:59 pm
It actually sounds to me like this PO got all emotional because of proximity of your vehicle. Other people are right that you should have left more room between your card and the cruiser (actually, moved to a different lane), but it does not give this PO any rights to threaten you in your house, hit your vehicle, etc.
So, plead not guilty, request disclosure with all that footage that you now know exists (they have to provide it), and then go from there... If everything happened how you describe it, the charges against you are likely to be dropped.
He threatened to arrest her (which he can) because she refused to surrender her ID. I'm not sure why you think he did anything illegal. He did his due diligence to find this person who made a major driving infraction and rightly so - she still has absolutely no idea that what she did violates the HTA and kills hundreds of people each year.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
1148 posts
261 upvotes
Winnipeg
Phillipspastamaker wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 8:37 pm
He threatened to arrest her (which he can) because she refused to surrender her ID. I'm not sure why you think he did anything illegal. He did his due diligence to find this person who made a major driving infraction and rightly so - she still has absolutely no idea that what she did violates the HTA and kills hundreds of people each year.
Let me put it this way. If somebody ever decides to ask for my ID, they better be polite about it even if they have every right to ask for it. I never said that this PO did anything illegally. My point is that he became emotional about this traffic violation (yes, it technically was a violation), and he should not have. If I think that a police officer is unreasonable and perhaps even dangerous because he hit my vehicle, etc. I'll do something to make sure that I am safe... especially if I am a young woman... sure, I'll want somebody else to be present before I let that person inside my house... In any case, I am not sure what you are trying to prove. The best approach for her now is to plead not guilty and request disclosure, or will you argue with that?
Jan 15, 2018
25 posts
6 upvotes
qman23 wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 6:02 pm
I'll inject a bit of my own reality, or wishes for reality anyway.
Police should not be pulling people over just anywhere. People should be required to drive to a parking lot, exit ramp, or side road where they will not impede traffic, before pulling over.
The way it is now, it's dangerous for the police officer (which is why the move over laws were implemented )
but, it's dangerous to everyone else too by creating an unnecessary safety/road hazard and disrupting the safe and consistent flow of traffic.
"To every officer I spoke with about the scenario, including the supervisor, they told me I should have stopped and waited"
Being required to stop and wait, should rarely ever be a necessity if traffic stops are done proficiently and competently.
She should have made plans to merge into the left lane well ahead but you see from the write up that she had no intention to do that because she wanted to right turn ahead of the cop and the vehicle the officer stopped and she didn't feel comfortable accomplishing that from the left lane. In that case she should have just crossed the intersection and turned around when safe to do so and completed the turn from the opposite end of the intersection.

When she says the supervisor told her to stop, the implied premise is that either she did not see the cop (which she did) to merge out of the lane in time or she didn't feel safe merging out of her lane (which she blatantly admitted she didn't do because she wanted to complete a right turn in front of the cop and the vehicle he stopped) but even so you would stop, turn on your signal to move over, then merge into the left lane when It's safe to do so. Anyway you put it she is wrong and doesn't understand basic rules of the road.

I am all for helping people because they made a mistake but this woman is very adamant that she did nothing wrong when it's clear as day she did. I can think of no better circumstance where someone deserves a ticket than this. Even with a ticket, she still has not learned her lesson. Maybe a second or third will finally help it sink in.
Apr 18, 2017
161 posts
72 upvotes
All of which could have been readily avoided if the traffic stop had not occurred in the right hand turn lane right at a corner.
I don't know why you quoted my post. None of yours answers to my point.
I'm not talking about what is. I said it's what I wish to see in future.
Jan 15, 2018
25 posts
6 upvotes
mbmbkop wrote:
Feb 9th, 2018 9:09 pm
Let me put it this way. If somebody ever decides to ask for my ID, they better be polite about it even if they have every right to ask for it. I never said that this PO did anything illegally. My point is that he became emotional about this traffic violation (yes, it technically was a violation), and he should not have. If I think that a police officer is unreasonable and perhaps even dangerous because he hit my vehicle, etc. I'll do something to make sure that I am safe... especially if I am a young woman... sure, I'll want somebody else to be present before I let that person inside my house... In any case, I am not sure what you are trying to prove. The best approach for her now is to plead not guilty and request disclosure, or will you argue with that?
If you broke the law and he's asking for your ID to write you a ticket or arrest you, he doesn't have to be polite, especially if you allegedly hit him with your side mirror and drove away. ;)

Honestly I'm all for helping because most people understand they may have broken the law by speeding just a bit or not stopping completely to do a rock back at a stop sign or red light when doing a right hand turn but in this case this woman has absolutely no idea she pulled an illegal and dangerous move and I see no point in helping someone like this.

Besides if they don't offer to drop the careless at first appearance to something lower she will need a lawyer because careless is a serious charge and in this case, rightly so. She allegedly hit an officer with her car.
Last edited by Phillipspastamaker on Feb 9th, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.