Automotive

Ask me anything about fighting your traffic ticket (Speeding, Parking, etc.)

Dec 17, 2017
17 posts
1 upvote
ShrekTek wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 1:47 pm
I would check back with them about 2 to 3 weeks before trial. If they have not provided them by trial date, then you can complain to JP and JP will tell prosecutor to get them for you and set a new trial date.
Is there any benefit to getting a new trial date or should i just bug them for it now so I'm not wasting my own time.
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
hanlon618 wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 2:11 pm
Is there any benefit to getting a new trial date or should i just bug them for it now so I'm not wasting my own time.
You will have two options at your first trial date if you have not received all your disclosure... proceed to trial that day, or set another trial date to come back to. You will not get it dropped on your first trial date.

You can certainly bug them about it ahead of time as well if you want, it wont hurt.
--
I am not a lawyer and I am not a paralegal and I do not give legal advice.
All statements made are my opinion only.
--
Jan 4, 2013
6 posts
NORTH YORK
Hey just got a ticket today 143 (d)...illegal u turn ...i did the u turn on the bridge...now my question is how to deal with this ticket? Is there any demerits points for such an offence ? Should i just pay the fine? Or fight for it? Please teme what to do ...thanks
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Interestinginterest wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 12:25 am
Hey just got a ticket today 143 (d)...illegal u turn ...i did the u turn on the bridge...now my question is how to deal with this ticket? Is there any demerits points for such an offence ? Should i just pay the fine? Or fight for it? Please teme what to do ...thanks
For Ontario, this lists demerit points:
https://www.ontario.ca/page/understandi ... rit-points
I do not see illegal u-turn on the list.

Reminder that insurance companies don't care about demerits though, so even if it is 0 demerits it can still cause an insurance increase.

The hardest tickets to beat are the ones where the officer will say they saw you do it (illegal u-turn, roll stop sign, run red/yellow light). However you have the right to see disclosure (officers notes) to determine if their notes contain everything needed to convict. So plead not guilty and request a trial with the officer present. Once you get your notice of trial, you can request disclosure (copy of officers notes). Once you get the disclosure, post it here so we can review. You can always pay the ticket anytime up to the trial date and there is no penalty if you take it to trial and lose.
--
--
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1351 posts
679 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
^^^^^ Unlawful U-Turn is 2 Demerits. Here is the legislated schedule of points (Note: Unlawful U-Turn falls under Prohibited Turns):

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/940339
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
rcmpvet wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 7:28 am
^^^^^ Unlawful U-Turn is 2 Demerits. Here is the legislated schedule of points (Note: Unlawful U-Turn falls under Prohibited Turns):

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/940339
Yes that's better than what I found
+1
--
--
Jan 4, 2013
6 posts
NORTH YORK
Okay with my ticket it's different...there wasnt any sign posted that you cant make a u turn...i thought it is legal to do a u turn anywhere except there is a no u turn sign is posted...it was night time traffic was very less and i did had the clear view before making a u turn ..at the time of u turn no traffic was coming ....i did the turn caz it was safe to do so...the officer told me that caz it was a bridge and legally u cant do the u turn on a bridge ...thats y he gave me a ticket...its my first ever ticket...
Deal Fanatic
Mar 23, 2008
6671 posts
3693 upvotes
Edmonton
Feb 14th, 2018 10:43 am
Okay with my ticket it's different...there wasnt any sign posted that you cant make a u turn...i thought it is legal to do a u turn anywhere except there is a no u turn sign is posted...it was night time traffic was very less and i did had the clear view before making a u turn ..at the time of u turn no traffic was coming ....i did the turn caz it was safe to do so...the officer told me that caz it was a bridge and legally u cant do the u turn on a bridge ...thats y he gave me a ticket...its my first ever ticket...
I don't know why Ontario makes it so hard to find their Highway Traffic Act, but here you go:
https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90h08#BK238

With this text:
143 No driver or operator of a vehicle upon a highway shall turn the vehicle so as to proceed in the opposite direction when,

(a) upon a curve where traffic approaching the vehicle from either direction cannot be seen by the driver of the vehicle within a distance of 150 metres;

(b) on a railway crossing or within 30 metres of a railway crossing;

(c) upon an approach to or near the crest of a grade where the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of another vehicle approaching from either direction within 150 metres; or

(d) within 150 metres of a bridge, viaduct or tunnel where the driver’s view is obstructed within such distance. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 143.
C
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2014
1351 posts
679 upvotes
Somewhere, ON
Your ticket is not different. Are you sure you are qualified other than the fact you have the physical licence? U-Turns are covered in the Driver's Handbook:

https://www.ontario.ca/document/officia ... directions

It specifically covers bridges.
“Before one can have a Clue they must first accumulate 10 Inklings. That said, all it takes is one bad post and you erase all Clues accumulated'"
Jun 15, 2017
736 posts
163 upvotes
Ontario, Canada
Feb 14th, 2018 10:43 am
Based on how I read 143(d) it says you can theoretically make a u-turn on a bridge IF your view is not obstructed for 150m in either direction. Others may have a different opinion.
Pictures from the bridge looking in both directions would help.

But again, we need to see the officers notes before we can really give you any advice.

The officers notes would specifically need to say that the view WAS obstructed within 150m of one direction or the other, otherwise this charge will fail and you will be able to beat it in court.
--
--
Jan 4, 2013
6 posts
NORTH YORK
Okay i got it...so what can i do about it and how can i go about it ...thefine is $110.. i have noproblem with that....what about demerits points ? I dont want to lose that...n will it have an impact on my insurance or drivers abstract ? Should i just pay the fine or fight for it..please guide me as im only worried about my demerit points...n insurance increase...caz the officer said there is no demerit points for this...n there is confusion as well
Mar 1, 2016
274 posts
66 upvotes
Feb 14th, 2018 12:23 pm
Okay i got it...so what can i do about it and how can i go about it ...thefine is $110.. i have noproblem with that....what about demerits points ? I dont want to lose that...n will it have an impact on my insurance or drivers abstract ? Should i just pay the fine or fight for it..please guide me as im only worried about my demerit points...n insurance increase...caz the officer said there is no demerit points for this...n there is confusion as well
As someone already mentioned, demerit points do not matter when it comes to insurance increase. So you should fight either way.
Dec 12, 2017
4 posts
Hey all, I asked this a while back, but I went through all the replies since then and haven't seen a response, so I'd like to ask again:

My understanding is that in parking ticket violations (City of Toronto at least), the Crown is required to submit three things for evidence (Please correct me if I am wrong!):
1. Notice of Trial
2. The parking infraction itself
3. MOT document showing the accused is the owner of the vehicle.

EDIT: I believe these are referred to as the "essential elements."

My question is, what documents (if any) are they obliged to provide as evidence (eg, essential elements) for a Red Light Camera charge? (and/or) Does anyone know where can I find this information?

(I've looked through the OHTA and RLC legislation but can't seem to find similar criteria. )

Thank you in advance.
Jan 4, 2013
6 posts
NORTH YORK
Thank you very much im going to fight it so what are the steps i have to take in order to fight the ticket...n do i need paralegal or somebody else for a ticket likethis n what are my chances thanks

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

FullyAssembled, CNeufeld