Ask me anything about Garage Doors and Openers

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 27th, 2024 9:30 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
sjangss wrote: Hi i have an old Lynx 455 model garage door opener. the power went out and i couldnt open the door... i dont have inside access... i installed a fail safe lock so if it ever happens again i can open it manually... the issue though is my remotes are not working... i am pressing the learn button and constantly pressing the remote button but it will not connect... any thoughts on what the issue could be? I tried like 5 times... thanks
Honestly, those old Lynx units are not econimical to repair. It's got to be 25 years old, time to retire the old guy.
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
networksend wrote: RKWDgaragedoors

Do you have a website or something? Searching by the name I didn’t find anything.

I am interested in a quote for an insulated double door with windows, new trim etc
@RockwoodGarageDoors (FB/Inst/Tiktok) or .ca for the website.
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
canabiz wrote: Hi all, our garage door opener is blinking when we try to close it, we have to press and hold the button all the way down. Upon further research, it looks to me one of the sensor is no longer working (the left one doesn't light up, as seen in the picture).

Is it just a matter of buying and installing replacement safety sensors and everything should work again? Thanks very much for any insight you can provide.

Good possibility that the sensor is perfectly fine.. start with the basics, make sure they are pointing at each other. There will be a yellow light (power) on one and a green light (receiver) on the other. If the green light isn't on then usually it's either misalignment, broken wire or in rare cases, failed sensor.
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
y18313 wrote: Hi, looking to replace two 8x7 builder installed wooden garage doors. Can I get some recommendations of where the smart people of RFD are buying their garage doors and on trusted installers here?

I'm assuming metal insulated doors is the way to go? Are the big box stores worth looking at? Looking at the Coach House style so far...

Thanks!
If you are still looking, send me a PM, I can either help you or point you in the right direction.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2005
3799 posts
1991 upvotes
Mississauga
Looking for someone/contact who can adjust the spring on my doors (2x single).. located at 401/Winston Churchill area in mississauga ..
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
TLSRULZ wrote: Looking for someone/contact who can adjust the spring on my doors (2x single).. located at 401/Winston Churchill area in mississauga ..
We service that area. Send me a pm if you'd like.
Dec 13, 2005
454 posts
59 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
Looking for someone to change the rubbers on the bottom of my steel doors in Mono, Ontario.
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
krossfyah wrote: Looking for someone to change the rubbers on the bottom of my steel doors in Mono, Ontario.
We service that area once or twice a month, if it's not urgent, send a pm and we can assist.
Dec 3, 2002
517 posts
44 upvotes
BC
Looking to confirm the limitations of remotes that a garage door opener can have in memory at one time.

I have a Liftmaster belt drive with battery backup. I think the model is 8550.
It came with the 895 max remote, as well as a wall control unit. I bought additional remotes (the 890 Max) for carrying around, in cars, and for in-laws.
For some reason, I had trouble getting more than 5 working at a time.
Googling told me certain models have limits on how many remotes it can be paired with at a time.

Is that number listed somewhere, and is there a way to add more remotes? I’ve already set up the myQ interface unit so it’s helped to allow control by their app, but wanted to add an numpad outside for the kids.
Dec 13, 2005
454 posts
59 upvotes
Mono, Ontario
RKWDGarageDoors wrote: We service that area once or twice a month, if it's not urgent, send a pm and we can assist.

Send me a message
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
Starcraftjunkie wrote: Looking to confirm the limitations of remotes that a garage door opener can have in memory at one time.

I have a Liftmaster belt drive with battery backup. I think the model is 8550.
It came with the 895 max remote, as well as a wall control unit. I bought additional remotes (the 890 Max) for carrying around, in cars, and for in-laws.
For some reason, I had trouble getting more than 5 working at a time.
Googling told me certain models have limits on how many remotes it can be paired with at a time.

Is that number listed somewhere, and is there a way to add more remotes? I’ve already set up the myQ interface unit so it’s helped to allow control by their app, but wanted to add an numpad outside for the kids.

You can add the following to an 8550:
40 Remote Controls, 4 Wireless Keyless Entries, 2 Automatic Garage Door Lock
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
4399 posts
1248 upvotes
Hello! Thanks for creating this thread!

My garage door has been having issues with opening and closing. At first it would take a few presses to get it to open and close. Now after it starts opening and closing it goes really slow and doesn't fully open all the way. This happened in about a 1 month period. I lubed all the tracks and rollers with WD40, but doesn't seem to help.

My garage isn't in the best shape and prob shifts a touch.

So i'm not sure if it's the shifting that caused extra friction making it struggle or if the motor is beginning to fail (about 9 years old - genie). Any suggestions on how to figure out which it is?

I'm thinking the motor is failing, because the change happened in about a month (which the garage should not be moving much in such a short period).

Thanks in advance!
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
Mint wrote: Hello! Thanks for creating this thread!

My garage door has been having issues with opening and closing. At first it would take a few presses to get it to open and close. Now after it starts opening and closing it goes really slow and doesn't fully open all the way. This happened in about a 1 month period. I lubed all the tracks and rollers with WD40, but doesn't seem to help.

My garage isn't in the best shape and prob shifts a touch.

So i'm not sure if it's the shifting that caused extra friction making it struggle or if the motor is beginning to fail (about 9 years old - genie). Any suggestions on how to figure out which it is?

I'm thinking the motor is failing, because the change happened in about a month (which the garage should not be moving much in such a short period).

Thanks in advance!
First thing to check if your spring(s). Are they broken?? If so it can be very dangerous to operate. Most newer openers will detect the resistance and not operate with a broken spring but older openers are tougher and can often still lift a door, but it will be slow as you described.

If the springs look good, starting with the door closed, disconnect the opnerer and see if it opens freely by hand and if it balances (it should be able to stop at the half way point and not go up or down on its own).

If it opens/closes freely then it's an opener issue. If it is very heavy to lift or you get a lot of resistance then it's time to start digging into the root cause. Could be misalignment, worn components, incorrect springs/cables or drums.

At that point it's best to contact a professional. A simple service call may be all that's required and you will have the peace of mind that it's done correctly and safely.

Whatever you do, don't ever touch the spring and cables system unless you know exactly what you are doing. It can cause serious injury (this is my obligatory disclaimer).

Also, side note. Never lubricate tracks. That's like putting oil on the road. Only lubricate parts that move, not parts that don't. Doing so will mask a more serious issue and cause longer term problems as the grease begins to accumulate dirt and grime over the years.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2004
2716 posts
1936 upvotes
GTA
RKWDGarageDoors wrote: We service that area once or twice a month, if it's not urgent, send a pm and we can assist.
How much do you charge for weather stripping replacement (part and labour) for 1 garage door?
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
spyhero wrote: How much do you charge for weather stripping replacement (part and labour) for 1 garage door?
Send me a pm with your address and we can provide a quote. It depends on the type of door and seal you want.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
21245 posts
25711 upvotes
GTA
RKWDGarageDoors wrote: Send me a pm with your address and we can provide a quote. It depends on the type of door and seal you want.
Would you just supply good seals to Oakville? Or recommend a go shop to a get a double or triple weathestrip? 16ft at the top and 7.5ft at the sides. I would DIY. Thx.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Jan 27, 2007
380 posts
121 upvotes
no mans land
New house. If this opener repairable or should I start over?
Images
  • 4C90609F-E17E-4984-970C-735088C38317.jpeg
  • 28319749-7346-43F2-AE55-024CAC7E9FD8.jpeg
  • 8D920954-797F-4A57-91EF-74A36D020E3D.jpeg
  • 6299A3E9-21DA-406C-840C-4BD35E958CC5.jpeg
Nov 10, 2018
122 posts
73 upvotes
engineered wrote: Would you just supply good seals to Oakville? Or recommend a go shop to a get a double or triple weathestrip? 16ft at the top and 7.5ft at the sides. I would DIY. Thx.
Pm me. My shop is in Milton, just need to know what color you want.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

CanadianChick39