Home & Garden

Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 9:26 pm
Tags:
None
Oct 24, 2008
638 posts
184 upvotes
Zamboni wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 8:44 pm
Buy larger ones....large red colour can hold 4 14 gauge.
Drew_W wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:41 pm
What's "these"? Yellows won't do. You need Reds for 4x14awg, or you can use the universal wire nuts like the blue Cantwists or others.
Sorry I forgot the link.

I went and bought the Ideal "one size fits all" wire nuts instead. as will as some Ideal quick connect "push-in" wire connectors for more connections.
Last edited by bpcrally on Apr 12th, 2017 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jan 14, 2012
211 posts
22 upvotes
KITCHENER
Can all this be wired on 1 circuit?

Want to wire a bathroom: So 1 GFCI outlet with two plugs, one vanity box with two lights, 2 potlights and exhaust fan? Is that allowed?

Thanks for any help you may have.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
2405 posts
394 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:49 pm
I just saw this thread, so I am going to cross post from my other post:

I recently replaced the light fixture in my master bedroom with an LED fixture. As a part of the process, I removed the old dimmer to put in a regular switch. After replacing the switch and turning the breaker back on, I noticed all other light fixtures on the circuit (upstairs hallway) were dead. My guess is that a wire came loose when I pulled out the old dimmer. As a safety precaution, I have left that circuit off at the breaker. Is there anything else I should do to avoid a potential fire? Also, is there any reasonable way to diagnose the problem or am I better off hiring an electrician? Thanks!
Other better knowledge folks will hopefully reply for present fix... for future I suggest to take pics/videos before changing switch... did same recently and I would be very confused if had not taken pics and gotten help from folks on RFD.

The simple connect black, white, ground wires connection does not exist very often, at least not in switches I've changed so far.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1864 upvotes
Edmonton
unshavenyak wrote:
Apr 11th, 2017 9:49 pm
I just saw this thread, so I am going to cross post from my other post:

I recently replaced the light fixture in my master bedroom with an LED fixture. As a part of the process, I removed the old dimmer to put in a regular switch. After replacing the switch and turning the breaker back on, I noticed all other light fixtures on the circuit (upstairs hallway) were dead. My guess is that a wire came loose when I pulled out the old dimmer. As a safety precaution, I have left that circuit off at the breaker. Is there anything else I should do to avoid a potential fire? Also, is there any reasonable way to diagnose the problem or am I better off hiring an electrician? Thanks!
I would go back to your switch that you were playing with, and re-open it (with the breaker off). Pull out the switch(es), so you have access to the wires. First test all the connections. Tug on them to see if any are disconnected. Then turn on the breaker. Use your circuit tester (one of the contactless ones) and see if you have power coming in as expected to the box. If not, then your GFCI outlet is possibly blown (and go back to that, to see if there's power to it) or your circuit breaker is possibly blown. Either one can happen.

There's troubleshooting you can still do, but if you think you're over your head, get an electrician.

C
Mar 3, 2011
471 posts
186 upvotes
I have a couple of questions.

My panel is in the garage, attached to a wall which is most likely empty space underneath a staircase. If I wanted to move the panel from this faux wall to make extra space in my garage over by a 1ft-2ft on to the actual cement wall, would that be an issue and would there be enough slack to do so or would it need to be re-wired for the move?

I also purchased a set of pot lights from Costco to take advantage of the energy savings coupons that is going on right now (always wanted pot lights and not the crappy builder lights), how do I determine how many pot lights I can put on that one switch, do I just take the current wattage that the existing light is using and then divide that by the wattage the new led potlights will use. If I remember correctly, the existing light says 60w max and has two bulbs, does that mean I have a max of 120w to play with? If each LED pot light is 8w and I am only putting up 6, that should relieve any stress on the breaker panel right?
Dec 28, 2010
866 posts
51 upvotes
Ajax
markopas wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 12:31 pm

My panel is in the garage, attached to a wall which is most likely empty space underneath a staircase. If I wanted to move the panel from this faux wall to make extra space in my garage over by a 1ft-2ft on to the actual cement wall, would that be an issue and would there be enough slack to do so or would it need to be re-wired for the move?

I also purchased a set of pot lights from Costco to take advantage of the energy savings coupons that is going on right now (always wanted pot lights and not the crappy builder lights), how do I determine how many pot lights I can put on that one switch, do I just take the current wattage that the existing light is using and then divide that by the wattage the new led potlights will use. If I remember correctly, the existing light says 60w max and has two bulbs, does that mean I have a max of 120w to play with? If each LED pot light is 8w and I am only putting up 6, that should relieve any stress on the breaker panel right?
Random Q but is this house a new build in Ajax?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1864 upvotes
Edmonton
markopas wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 12:31 pm

I highly doubt there will be 1 or 2 feet of slack in the cables in the panel. Probably best to call an electrician in for a quote.

C
Mar 3, 2011
471 posts
186 upvotes
Bellotts wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 1:28 pm
Random Q but is this house a new build in Ajax?
No... bought this house on plans pre-construction in the upper beach back in 2008
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 1:46 pm
I highly doubt there will be 1 or 2 feet of slack in the cables in the panel. Probably best to call an electrician in for a quote.

C
That's what I thought - I guess I could start by tearing down the side wall to see what's in behind and go from there.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2579 posts
1339 upvotes
Markham
Hello

Can someone tell me what would be reasonable cost in GTA for installing a 15 amp plug in the island cabinet? My basement is unfinished and the kitchen is right above the 200A electrical panel in the basement.

I haven't hired an electrician in such a long time so I want to make sure I don't get taken for a ride.

Thank you
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26688 posts
1650 upvotes
Winnipeg
tennisfan wrote:
Apr 9th, 2017 6:52 pm
Sorry not sure I understand this. If the home has only 100amp service. I want to put a second electric stove and have the wiring installed for this, ESA will fail right?

Thanks
you can put 2nd range if you want, or another 10 more.
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1864 upvotes
Edmonton
X24Secret wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:13 pm
Hello

Can someone tell me what would be reasonable cost in GTA for installing a 15 amp plug in the island cabinet? My basement is unfinished and the kitchen is right above the 200A electrical panel in the basement.

I haven't hired an electrician in such a long time so I want to make sure I don't get taken for a ride.

Thank you
Are you going the full inspection route, or trying to minimize your costs?

C
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2579 posts
1339 upvotes
Markham
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:24 pm

C
If I don't go the CSA inspection route, would my insurance company give me a hard time in case of a claim? It seems to be a straight forward job but if I don't wan't to cheapen out and have trouble with insurance if I ever need them.

Thank you.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
26688 posts
1650 upvotes
Winnipeg
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:24 pm

C
we can't officially talk about non-inspection hack job
4930k/32gb/256gb ssd/8tb hdd/win10pro/msi 290
bst/free stuff/btc/ether
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4115 posts
1864 upvotes
Edmonton
X24Secret wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:26 pm
If I don't go the CSA inspection route, would my insurance company give me a hard time in case of a claim? It seems to be a straight forward job but if I don't wan't to cheapen out and have trouble with insurance if I ever need them.

Thank you.
Yes, your insurance company would void your insurance if there was any electrical related issue. You may have issues if something looks funky when you sell the house. And any electrician willing to do the work without doing a permit/inspection may be willing to cut other corners, too.

Can you guys in ON pull your own permit? It does sound like a straightforward job. I pulled my permit for my reno's here in Alberta... It's not rocket science.

C
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2011
2579 posts
1339 upvotes
Markham
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:34 pm
Yes, your insurance company would void your insurance if there was any electrical related issue. You may have issues if something looks funky when you sell the house. And any electrician willing to do the work without doing a permit/inspection may be willing to cut other corners, too.

Can you guys in ON pull your own permit? It does sound like a straightforward job. I pulled my permit for my reno's here in Alberta... It's not rocket science.

C
Thank you, that's precisely what I don't want to happen otherwise I could even probably do it myself.

So what should I expect at reasonable cost with inspection? What's the time frame for the inspection?

Thank you for the help.