Home & Garden

Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 9th, 2017 9:30 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2492 posts
875 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:34 pm
Can you guys in ON pull your own permit? It does sound like a straightforward job. I pulled my permit for my reno's here in Alberta... It's not rocket science.

C
Homeowners can pull their own permit in Ontario but they have to do the work themselves.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3500 posts
285 upvotes
St. John's
A few questions:

- Does a bathroom outlet need to be on it's own circuit? My bathroom receptacle runs off my master bedroom circuit/breaker. My other bathroom has a GFCI that's powered from the light.

- Does a small 4x4 front porch/entrance room need a receptacle?

- Can I put a receptacle in a closet? I have a router that I'd like to bury away.

- I need to rewire two bedrooms. Is it advisable to have bedrooms on their own AFCI breaker (x3 receptacles each) or is this totally overkill?
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4728 posts
2306 upvotes
Edmonton
RCGA wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 7:34 pm
A few questions:

- Does a bathroom outlet need to be on it's own circuit? My bathroom receptacle runs off my master bedroom circuit/breaker. My other bathroom has a GFCI that's powered from the light.

- Can I put a receptacle in a closet? I have a router that I'd like to bury away.

- I need to rewire two bedrooms. Is it advisable to have bedrooms on their own AFCI breaker (x3 receptacles each) or is this totally overkill?
Pick up this book...
https://psknight.com/residential

I got mine at HD.

C
Deal Guru
Feb 8, 2014
13437 posts
3342 upvotes
Toronto
RCGA wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 7:43 pm
I won't be doing the work. I just want to make sure I'm asking/requesting the right things from the electrician.
You should still read the book, then you will understand the right things to ask the electrician and better understand the answers, the ability to answer some of your questions on your own and help you plan what is possible by having background knowledge.
Lies, damned lies, statistics and alternative facts
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7213 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
Supperfly wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 10:18 am
Can all this be wired on 1 circuit?

Want to wire a bathroom: So 1 GFCI outlet with two plugs, one vanity box with two lights, 2 potlights and exhaust fan? Is that allowed?

Thanks for any help you may have.
Sure you can. Do you want to? If you trip the circuit with a hair dryer or whatever do you want to be left in the dark?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7213 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:13 pm
Hello

Can someone tell me what would be reasonable cost in GTA for installing a 15 amp plug in the island cabinet? My basement is unfinished and the kitchen is right above the 200A electrical panel in the basement.

I haven't hired an electrician in such a long time so I want to make sure I don't get taken for a ride.

Thank you
The island is a kitchen workspace and needs a 20A circuit/plug.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7213 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
X24Secret wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 5:39 pm
Thank you, that's precisely what I don't want to happen otherwise I could even probably do it myself.

So what should I expect at reasonable cost with inspection? What's the time frame for the inspection?

Thank you for the help.
$400-500? Inspection timeframe is about 48hrs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7213 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
RCGA wrote:
Apr 12th, 2017 7:34 pm
A few questions:

No. But it should be.

Yes.

Yes, if it has a dedicated purpose.

Separate as much as possible especially between rooms. Because why not?
Sep 21, 2004
69 posts
23 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Drew_W wrote:
Apr 14th, 2017 9:17 pm
The island is a kitchen workspace and needs a 20A circuit/plug.
15amp split is acceptable by code. It does not need to be 20 amp. It also depends on the size of the island (i.e. just because it's a kitchen workspace it does not necessitate the need for a plug - that being said - an island smaller than 600mmx300mm would seem oddly small!).

26-712 (2015CEC)
(IV) at least one receptacle (5-15R split or 5-20R) installed at each permanently fixed island counter space
with a continuous long dimension of 600 mm or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm or
greater;
May 13, 2015
28 posts
7 upvotes
Getting ready to pull a permit for my basement build.
I know most don't mix lighting and receptacles on the same circuit, but I plan on it for simplicity sake. Doing so, am I limited to 12 devices per circuit? I've got 10 potlights (stamped max 50W on housing), but want to add 4 receptacles. These receptacles are general purpose, pretty much to keep within the ESA rule for outlet spacing.

Would having 14 devices on this circuit break code?
Sep 11, 2006
989 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
sniggity wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 11:23 am
Getting ready to pull a permit for my basement build.
I know most don't mix lighting and receptacles on the same circuit, but I plan on it for simplicity sake. Doing so, am I limited to 12 devices per circuit? I've got 10 potlights (stamped max 50W on housing), but want to add 4 receptacles. These receptacles are general purpose, pretty much to keep within the ESA rule for outlet spacing.

Would having 14 devices on this circuit break code?
Yes is does break code. You also need to afci the circuit and install smoke alarm/strobe
May 13, 2015
28 posts
7 upvotes
Thanks Dirty.
Afci breakers im aware.
Arent strobe smoke detectors only for bed rooms?
Sep 11, 2006
989 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
sniggity wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 12:19 pm
Arent strobe smoke detectors only for bed rooms?
Nope
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7213 posts
564 upvotes
Toronto
BouncyBall wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 10:07 am
15amp split is acceptable by code. It does not need to be 20 amp. It also depends on the size of the island (i.e. just because it's a kitchen workspace it does not necessitate the need for a plug - that being said - an island smaller than 600mmx300mm would seem oddly small!).

26-712 (2015CEC)
(IV) at least one receptacle (5-15R split or 5-20R) installed at each permanently fixed island counter space
with a continuous long dimension of 600 mm or greater and a short dimension of 300 mm or
greater;
Nobody does 15 splits anymore, and I assumed the island was large enough to necessitate the receptacle by code. :)