Home & Garden

Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 25th, 2017 9:26 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7120 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
sniggity wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 11:23 am
Getting ready to pull a permit for my basement build.
I know most don't mix lighting and receptacles on the same circuit, but I plan on it for simplicity sake. Doing so, am I limited to 12 devices per circuit? I've got 10 potlights (stamped max 50W on housing), but want to add 4 receptacles. These receptacles are general purpose, pretty much to keep within the ESA rule for outlet spacing.

Would having 14 devices on this circuit break code?
Most don't mix receptacles and lighting because you can do a calculated load on a lighting only circuit. If you do 50w housings, you can do 28 potlights per circuit keeping you under the 1440w 15A max. You also don't have to arc fault lighting, so keeping your "12 devices" to only receptacles will lessen the amount of expensive arc fault breakers you need....
Sep 11, 2006
958 posts
157 upvotes
Drew_W wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 8:57 pm
Most don't mix receptacles and lighting because you can do a calculated load on a lighting only circuit. If you do 50w housings, you can do 28 potlights per circuit keeping you under the 1440w 15A max. You also don't have to arc fault lighting, so keeping your "12 devices" to only receptacles will lessen the amount of expensive arc fault breakers you need....
Hey on this note I have always wanted to know if we mix lights and plugs and a smoke detector is on that circuit, do we have to arc fault it? Because I thought smoke detectors cant be arc fault.
Sep 11, 2006
958 posts
157 upvotes
If I want to mount a sub panel on the back of a pool cabana on the exterior side so exposed to weather, what type of sub panel has to be installed?
Jul 19, 2009
23 posts
Mississauga
Looking for a good electrician to have my panel changed
Suggestions would be appreciated
I am located in Mississauga
May 13, 2015
26 posts
7 upvotes
awesome, I'm going to charge ahead with a dedicated lighting circuit. This lowers my total circuit build out to 3 from 5.
Apr 10, 2017
297 posts
71 upvotes
1. Are there any obstacles in placing recessed lighting? I like the simplicity of recessed lighting and I'm thinking of placing them in my living room, basement and Master's bedroom. Cost? How big of a project is it?

2. Is there anything I should worry about using outlets that already have a USB option in it? I'm thinking of replacing all my outlets (or most). I think it's about time that adapters should be retired
Mar 3, 2013
434 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
Biscayne05 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:16 am
1. Are there any obstacles in placing recessed lighting? I like the simplicity of recessed lighting and I'm thinking of placing them in my living room, basement and Master's bedroom. Cost? How big of a project is it?

2. Is there anything I should worry about using outlets that already have a USB option in it? I'm thinking of replacing all my outlets (or most). I think it's about time that adapters should be retired
Adding recessed lighting is a great idea. Duct work can be an obstacle and if there is a bathroom above, you may get into issues with plumbing in the ceiling so extra caution should be taken when installing. Drywall will likely need to be patched and painted, not so easy with a stucco ceiling. Rooms with an attic space above are easier to work with in regards to installing pot lights.

USB receptacles are great too but because of their larger size, you run into issues with box fill (too many wires in a box)
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7120 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
DIrty-D wrote:
Apr 17th, 2017 9:04 pm
Hey on this note I have always wanted to know if we mix lights and plugs and a smoke detector is on that circuit, do we have to arc fault it? Because I thought smoke detectors cant be arc fault.
You can get away with one and only one circuit not arc faulted, and that's the one with the smokes on it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7120 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
zigma wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 7:45 am
Looking for a good electrician to have my panel changed
Suggestions would be appreciated
I am located in Mississauga
Why are you changing your panel?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7120 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
Biscayne05 wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:16 am

You can use slim LED modules that are the same 1/2" thick as the drywall you cut out for them. That means they can straddle joists, fit under duct work, etc. They just don't look as nice as a proper recessed housing because the light lens is usually gimpy looking and flat with the ceiling surface. There are ways.........just not super ideal ones.
Jul 19, 2009
23 posts
Mississauga
Drew_W wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:54 am
Why are you changing your panel?
It's old and the panel behind needs some work.
I had posted a picture in this forum last year as well.

Anyways, if you know a good electrician, please let me know
Thanks
May 13, 2015
26 posts
7 upvotes
couple more questions about running nmd90

-Previous owner or builder ran a copper gas line from furnace area to the dryer (roughly 30ft span). Along this path, there are several cables touching the copper pipe. Is this acceptable? I might be over thinking it, but my idea is to cover the gas pipe with pipe insulation or yellow electrical tape.

-My mechanical room will remain unfinished. I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a proper path to a junction box on the opposite side of the room. The easiest option is straight through an opening between the main HVAC (between heat duct and cold air return). Would nailing to the bottom of the joist and attaching a ziptie around the cable pass inspection? I read face nailing is acceptable in certain conditions. Not sure if this would qualify.

For question 2 found the answer. Approved method is 1x running boards.
Last edited by sniggity on Apr 19th, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 21, 2004
68 posts
22 upvotes
North Vancouver, BC
Drew_W wrote:
Apr 18th, 2017 9:52 am
You can get away with one and only one circuit not arc faulted, and that's the one with the smokes on it.
Does Toronto have local addendums to the code that makes this statement true?
Reading the 2015 CEC - there are far more than just "one and only one circuit" that can be 'non-arc fault protected....one of them being that kitchen island!

Rule 26-742
Item (f) requires that all branch circuits supplying 125 V receptacles rated 20 A or less be protected by a
combination-type arc-fault circuit interrupter (AFCI). See Figure 26-31.
Item (f)(i) allows branch circuits supplying receptacles installed in accordance with Rules 26-710(f)
(receptacles in bathrooms and washrooms), 26-712(d)(i) (receptacles for kitchen refrigerators), and
26-712(d)(iii), (iv), and (v) (receptacles along the wall of a kitchen counter work surface, a permanently fixed
island counter
, and a peninsular counter) to be exempt from the requirement for arc-fault protection. The
rationale for the circuits supplying receptacles installed in accordance with Rule 26-712(d)(i) is that if a nuisance
trip goes unnoticed, the frozen food in the freezer can spoil. The rationale for the rest is that these either may
be, or are, the circuits that are required to have ground-fault protection.
Deal Addict
May 26, 2011
1784 posts
457 upvotes
Redoing the electric in my garage. It currently has a single 15A circuit. Number of new light fixtures plus receptacles is more than 12 and I need an outdoor receptacle, so I guess I need to put in a sub panel so I can have a total of three circuits. I would like a 15A for the lights and 2 20A for the receptacles.

1) The house currently has 100 Amp service. What is the maximum service the sub panel can have?

2) Based on 2 20A circuits and one 15A circuit, what is the minimum service the sub panel can have?

3) This https://www.lowes.ca/panel-boxes/eaton- ... 34192.html says it's a 100 amp panel. Can I feed it with 8/3 wire from https://www.lowes.ca/breakers/eaton-typ ... 36539.html this breaker? In other words, it can be less than 100 amp, right?