Home & Garden

Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 24th, 2017 8:06 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1744 posts
72 upvotes
I know it's code to have the receptacle in the eating area of the kitchen on its own circuit but does it need to be own circuit AND split receptacle? That seems overkill. And does anyone know the thinking behind the code? I can't think of the theory behind its own circuit just for an eating area.

My real question is about the split receptacle. Does the neutral tab need to broken or just the hot? It's on a tied breaker with two hots but only one neutral. I think the tab should connected since they share a neutral (read Electrical Code Simplified and online) but the tab on the existing one is broken.

Thanks to all who have provided help over the years- Drew, divx, MrSparky, retrovette and anyone I missed.
Sep 11, 2006
955 posts
156 upvotes
Question, do those plastic airtight boxes with the foam seal need to be installed with a vapor boot as well or can they be installed without a vapor boot?
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1969 posts
145 upvotes
Wood Bridge
Hi another Q here for the resident electrician.

I have a TV mounted above my fireplace but the outlet is not on the fireplace I'm running a chord down the mandle around the side, its kind of ghetto if ya know what im sayin.

How hard or safe would it be to run a 120 volt hydro outlet on the brick fire place so I can make my TV's electrical connection right there. I also want to run the hdmi wires behind the fire place brick too.

is it even safe? how far from the chimmenie
Thanks
Nov 21, 2010
502 posts
102 upvotes
Ontario
Capt. wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 7:11 pm
I know it's code to have the receptacle in the eating area of the kitchen on its own circuit but does it need to be own circuit AND split receptacle? That seems overkill. And does anyone know the thinking behind the code? I can't think of the theory behind its own circuit just for an eating area.

My real question is about the split receptacle. Does the neutral tab need to broken or just the hot? It's on a tied breaker with two hots but only one neutral. I think the tab should connected since they share a neutral (read Electrical Code Simplified and online) but the tab on the existing one is broken.

Thanks to all who have provided help over the years- Drew, divx, MrSparky, retrovette and anyone I missed.
The thinking behind it was toaster, toaster ovens, coffee makers, things on the table people sometimes like to have handy, especially at breakfast. A 20amp receptacle can be substituted for a split. No, the neutral tab should never be broken but the hot, gold colored tab has to be broken. Leave the hot tab in and it makes a big bang. :) The two hots share the neutral and without getting into a lot of technical mumbo jumbo the neutral carries the unbalanced load. If you'd like to understand it better just google "Multi-wire branch circuits" and you'll get an explanation much better than I can give.
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2008
3479 posts
279 upvotes
St. John's
What's code for running wire around a door? I assume 3/4 holes can be drilled in through the king stud and through the cripple studs
Let's hug it out
Flickr
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1744 posts
72 upvotes
retrovette wrote:
May 1st, 2017 4:43 pm
The thinking behind it was toaster, toaster ovens, coffee makers, things on the table people sometimes like to have handy, especially at breakfast. A 20amp receptacle can be substituted for a split. No, the neutral tab should never be broken but the hot, gold colored tab has to be broken. Leave the hot tab in and it makes a big bang. :) The two hots share the neutral and without getting into a lot of technical mumbo jumbo the neutral carries the unbalanced load. If you'd like to understand it better just google "Multi-wire branch circuits" and you'll get an explanation much better than I can give.
Thank you sir. Much appreciated. I have installed it with the neutral tab intact. Strange that it was installed 30 or so years ago with the tab broken. I cant speak to the previous owners but we never used this plug as it was hidden behind furniture. Thanks again and I'll do some more reading on unbalanced load/multi-wire branch circuits.
Mar 3, 2013
434 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
Capt. wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 7:11 pm

Are you referring to a dinette plug or counter plug?
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2004
1744 posts
72 upvotes
MrSparky wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 8:22 am
It's both I suppose. This is a counter height plug in the eating area of the kitchen (believe this would be called dinette?).
Temp. Banned
Mar 29, 2015
1969 posts
145 upvotes
Wood Bridge
so how legal is it to run a hydro wire behind a brick fireplace for a wall mount tv? what sort of clearence do u need from the chimmeny, any fire codes to be aware of any special wiring? how much open space is behind a brick fireplace anyways?
Thanks
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2002
4811 posts
4772 upvotes
Toronto
MrSparky wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 8:22 am
Ahhhh... The "food presentation area receptacle" part of code... dedicated 15A circuit instead of 20A, not really well defined what this dinette/food presentation concept really is.

I almost wish I'd put a 20A circuit there anyway since I run both a kettle and a coffee machine in that nook.
I've got a pretty good friend who's seen me at my worst.
He don't care if I'm a blessing or a curse,
But he always shows up when the chips are down.
That's the kind of friend I like to be around.
Nov 23, 2011
11 posts
TORONTO
Anyone know where I can get the best price on arc fault breakers? Doing a reno and I've been told I need 10 of these..

Square D Qo 15 Amp 1-Pole Combination Arc Fault Circuit Breaker
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7117 posts
523 upvotes
Toronto
darkknight1 wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 11:17 am
Anyone know where I can get the best price on arc fault breakers? Doing a reno and I've been told I need 10 of these..

Square D Qo 15 Amp 1-Pole Combination Arc Fault Circuit Breaker
Told by who?
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
4104 posts
1857 upvotes
Edmonton
darkknight1 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 12:52 pm
electrician, he has an permit open with ESA.. The entire house was gutted, re-wired + new service + panel.

These are the breakers but I'd rather not spend 80 bucks a pop..

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.sing ... 02725.html
10 seems excessive. I just re-did the wiring in our house (1400 sq ft, 1.5 story home), and used 3. Would have probably used 4 if I needed to re-wire the basement too. You don't need them on EVERY circuit.

C
Mar 3, 2013
434 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
darkknight1 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 12:52 pm
electrician, he has an permit open with ESA.. The entire house was gutted, re-wired + new service + panel.

These are the breakers but I'd rather not spend 80 bucks a pop..

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.sing ... 02725.html
You won't find them for less than $80. Lowes has them for less than Home Depot so you can do a price match and get the 10% discount.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor