Home & Garden

Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2017 12:31 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2013
430 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
CNeufeld wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 1:10 pm
10 seems excessive. I just re-did the wiring in our house (1400 sq ft, 1.5 story home), and used 3. Would have probably used 4 if I needed to re-wire the basement too. You don't need them on EVERY circuit.

C
When was your permit issued?

AFCI Requirements:
Bedrooms - Yes
Living Room - Yes
Hallways - Yes
Dining Area / Kitchenette - Yes
Outdoor Receptacles - Yes
Cord connected appliances (garbage disposal/dishwasher) - Yes
Kitchen Counter - No
Kitchen Island - No
Sump Pump (Only) - No
Refrigerator - No
Outdoors - Yes
Built-in Microwave - Yes
Bathroom/Washroom - No
Gas Range - Yes
Block heater if installed as per Rule 8-400 - No
Washing Machine - Yes
Laundry Room - Yes
Utility Room - Yes
Unfinished basement - Yes
Central Vac - Yes
Dryer - No
Electric Range - No
Attached Garage/Carport - Yes
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3581 posts
1477 upvotes
Edmonton
MrSparky wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 10:47 pm
When was your permit issued?

AFCI Requirements:
Bedrooms - Yes
Living Room - Yes
Hallways - Yes
Dining Area / Kitchenette - Yes
Outdoor Receptacles - Yes
Cord connected appliances (garbage disposal/dishwasher) - Yes
Kitchen Counter - No
Kitchen Island - No
Sump Pump (Only) - No
Refrigerator - No
Outdoors - Yes
Built-in Microwave - Yes
Bathroom/Washroom - No
Gas Range - Yes
Block heater if installed as per Rule 8-400 - No
Washing Machine - Yes
Laundry Room - Yes
Utility Room - Yes
Unfinished basement - Yes
Central Vac - Yes
Dryer - No
Electric Range - No
Attached Garage/Carport - Yes
Permit was issued June 2016, in Alberta. I'll have to go back over my guide book again. But we passed rough in without a comment.

The gas stove doesn't have one, the drawer microwave doesn't have one, the washing machine doesn't have one...

C
Jan 30, 2015
189 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
I've read through the Simplified Electrical Code, Called ESA (who can't help) and contacted Toronto Hydro (who have yet to get back to me........) for what I would assume is a relatively simple code question. I need to know what clearance is required around a Hydro Meter Base. The finished wall to our addition is going to intersect the side wall about 6" from the meter base. I know there are height specifications for the base but i cannot find anything that says how close to the side of it a structure can be. Does anyone know?
Thanks!
Mar 3, 2013
430 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
Lacklustre wrote:
May 4th, 2017 2:29 pm
I've read through the Simplified Electrical Code, Called ESA (who can't help) and contacted Toronto Hydro (who have yet to get back to me........) for what I would assume is a relatively simple code question. I need to know what clearance is required around a Hydro Meter Base. The finished wall to our addition is going to intersect the side wall about 6" from the meter base. I know there are height specifications for the base but i cannot find anything that says how close to the side of it a structure can be. Does anyone know?
Thanks!
6-410 Space required for meters
The space provided for meters shall comply with the requirements of the supply authority

6" is not much room. Can you post a pic? Would it be a lot of work to move the meter base over?
Mar 3, 2013
430 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
CNeufeld wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 11:43 pm
Permit was issued June 2016, in Alberta. I'll have to go back over my guide book again. But we passed rough in without a comment.

The gas stove doesn't have one, the drawer microwave doesn't have one, the washing machine doesn't have one...

C
So you're inspector missed a few things. If you're permit was issued before May 2016 then the new codes don't apply.
Jan 30, 2015
189 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
MrSparky wrote:
May 4th, 2017 2:35 pm
6-410 Space required for meters
The space provided for meters shall comply with the requirements of the supply authority

6" is not much room. Can you post a pic? Would it be a lot of work to move the meter base over?
cid_908.jpg
cid_725.jpg
It's not a lot of work physically, but we'd have to pay for the disconnect/reconnect plus an electricians time etc. As long as it meets code, I don't mind if it is a small gap. The alternative is to shift the entire addition back the needed distance, which would only cost $198 to revise the plans (plus a little shovel time to make the excavated hole a little bigger). That would be a better solution than messing with the meter placement if I have to.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3581 posts
1477 upvotes
Edmonton
MrSparky wrote:
May 4th, 2017 2:38 pm
So you're inspector missed a few things. If you're permit was issued before May 2016 then the new codes don't apply.
Apparently... Not sure I'll complain about that. :) I ended up putting in a smaller sub-panel, so I can put in more AFCI breakers if I need to. All the "regular receptacles" are covered, at least.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7059 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto
darkknight1 wrote:
May 3rd, 2017 12:52 pm
electrician, he has an permit open with ESA.. The entire house was gutted, re-wired + new service + panel.

These are the breakers but I'd rather not spend 80 bucks a pop..

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.sing ... 02725.html
I don't know how big your house is, but given the exhaustive list of circuits that need to be AFCI, only 10 of these sounds like not quite enough.

Anyways, buy them on Amazon USA. They're about $38US each. The CSA approval is right on the breaker.
Sep 11, 2006
876 posts
123 upvotes
Drew_W wrote:
May 4th, 2017 8:06 pm
I don't know how big your house is, but given the exhaustive list of circuits that need to be AFCI, only 10 of these sounds like not quite enough.

Anyways, buy them on Amazon USA. They're about $38US each. The CSA approval is right on the breaker.
Hey they are really cheap on amazon.com but it says they dont ship to canada
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2267 posts
795 upvotes
DIrty-D wrote:
May 5th, 2017 2:17 pm
Hey they are really cheap on amazon.com but it says they dont ship to canada
Amazon.com has 7 left in stock at this current time @ $39.42 and they ship to Canada.

Order Summary
Items (7): $275.94
Shipping & handling: $12.65
Total before tax: $288.59
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $36.96
Order total: $325.55

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all
Oct 20, 2011
926 posts
284 upvotes
Mississauga
pootza wrote:
May 5th, 2017 5:11 pm
Amazon.com has 7 left in stock at this current time @ $39.42 and they ship to Canada.

Order Summary
Items (7): $275.94
Shipping & handling: $12.65
Total before tax: $288.59
Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $36.96
Order total: $325.55

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing ... dition=all
I imagine that's in U.S. funds, I'm also surprised they don't charge Canadian Tax at the border.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2267 posts
795 upvotes
MyDream1 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 8:29 pm
I imagine that's in U.S. funds, I'm also surprised they don't charge Canadian Tax at the border.
I imagine amazon.com lists their stuff in US dollars as most US based sites do and likely that Import Fees Deposit covers the Canadian taxes.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7059 posts
500 upvotes
Toronto
MyDream1 wrote:
May 5th, 2017 8:29 pm
That's built in via the import fees deposit. You could always pickup in NY but then you'll be dinged NY state tax. Better to just have them shipped up here. In the example you're $63CAD all in or thereabouts for each....so that's the winner right there.
Nov 23, 2011
11 posts
TORONTO
Ended up price match and beat at Home Depot.. got them for 72 a piece.. pain in the ass lol
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
2267 posts
795 upvotes
darkknight1 wrote:
May 6th, 2017 10:43 am
Ended up price match and beat at Home Depot.. got them for 72 a piece.. pain in the ass lol
$72 + 13% HST = $81.36 each?