Home & Garden

Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 8:00 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7015 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
darkknight1 wrote:
May 6th, 2017 10:43 am
Ended up price match and beat at Home Depot.. got them for 72 a piece.. pain in the ass lol
Against Amazon.com, an american website? That's a huge YMMV. Probably just a dumb cashier.
Mar 3, 2013
430 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
Post 4155 I mentioned Lowes has them for less than HD. I'm assuming the poster used this price match.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7015 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
MrSparky wrote:
May 6th, 2017 1:19 pm
Post 4155 I mentioned Lowes has them for less than HD. I'm assuming the poster used this price match.
Ah. Well then. $10/each more to have them today ain't so bad.
Apr 8, 2013
59 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
A couple of years ago I pulled an ESA permit in order to replace some aluminum wiring (I'm in the GTA). I’ve passed the first rough in-inspection, however, in order to close the permit the inspector’s requiring that we install a couple of AFCI breakers on our ancient 24 slot sub-panel made by C.E.B. The panel is fed by a 100 amp main fuse panel.

Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to find any AFCI breakers that are compatible with my sub-panel; Eaton has 15 amp breakers but is advising that they don’t manufacture AFCI breakers for CEB panels. A couple of questions:

First, is it possible to install an AFCI Receptacle in the first outlet of the circuit instead of an AFCI breaker – my thought is that this would also provide protection for the remaining outlets similar to CFCI receptacles?

Second, assuming that the AFCI Receptacle is not an option, is it possible to install a sub-panel off of the existing CEB panel?
Mar 3, 2013
430 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
F22Raptor wrote:
May 7th, 2017 8:30 pm
A couple of years ago I pulled an ESA permit in order to replace some aluminum wiring (I'm in the GTA). I’ve passed the first rough in-inspection, however, in order to close the permit the inspector’s requiring that we install a couple of AFCI breakers on our ancient 24 slot sub-panel made by C.E.B. The panel is fed by a 100 amp main fuse panel.

Unfortunately, I’ve been unable to find any AFCI breakers that are compatible with my sub-panel; Eaton has 15 amp breakers but is advising that they don’t manufacture AFCI breakers for CEB panels. A couple of questions:

First, is it possible to install an AFCI Receptacle in the first outlet of the circuit instead of an AFCI breaker – my thought is that this would also provide protection for the remaining outlets similar to CFCI receptacles?

Second, assuming that the AFCI Receptacle is not an option, is it possible to install a sub-panel off of the existing CEB panel?
You should only have to AFCI your bedroom receptacles if your permit was take our prior to May of 2016. Installing at the first outlet will not pass unless you protect the wiring going to the first device.
Instead, I would suggest installing an 1110 box, some bx or conduit, and an AFCI receptacle or dead front AFCI next to the panel to protect your entire circuit.
ESA issued a bulletin about this https://www.esasafe.com/assets/files/es ... 6-18-9.pdf
Jan 14, 2012
164 posts
10 upvotes
KITCHENER
Below is a picture of my home main electrical Box. It is a Cutler-Hammer 125A MAX box. 60 Circuits max csa, and 30 circuit max UL, 120/240 VAC/CA. I am trying to figure out if it needs to be
upgraded so I can finish my basement. Do I need to upgrade it? Looks like there are 4 slots left for breakers.
Basement will have a bathroom, bathroom fan, GFCI duplex, vanity light, and ceiling light. Main basement room will have 12 pot lights (65 Watt BR30 bulbs), 6 duplex plugs, and 4 ceiling lights
(60W).
Thanks for any help.
Mar 3, 2013
430 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
Supperfly wrote:
May 9th, 2017 8:57 am
Below is a picture of my home main electrical Box. It is a Cutler-Hammer 125A MAX box. 60 Circuits max csa, and 30 circuit max UL, 120/240 VAC/CA. I am trying to figure out if it needs to be
upgraded so I can finish my basement. Do I need to upgrade it? Looks like there are 4 slots left for breakers.
Basement will have a bathroom, bathroom fan, GFCI duplex, vanity light, and ceiling light. Main basement room will have 12 pot lights (65 Watt BR30 bulbs), 6 duplex plugs, and 4 ceiling lights
(60W).
Thanks for any help.

breaker.jpg
You are fine with that. No need to upgrade. If you need more room swap for tandem breakers.
Jan 14, 2012
164 posts
10 upvotes
KITCHENER
MrSparky wrote:
May 9th, 2017 10:33 am
You are fine with that. No need to upgrade. If you need more room swap for tandem breakers.
Thank you sparky. I am looking for quotes for someone to wire it all. What do you think is a competitive rate, hourly or per job? I have installed all the boxes, potlights etc. Just need everything wired.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7015 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
Supperfly wrote:
May 9th, 2017 11:32 am
Thank you sparky. I am looking for quotes for someone to wire it all. What do you think is a competitive rate, hourly or per job? I have installed all the boxes, potlights etc. Just need everything wired.
Why do you not just want to do it yourself? This is pretty easy work.
Mar 3, 2013
430 posts
225 upvotes
Newmarket
Supperfly wrote:
May 9th, 2017 11:32 am
Are you doing this with a permit?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2008
1623 posts
237 upvotes
Milton, Ontario
Easiest way to learn basement wiring so it's up to code ?
Will want to have it inspected and certified.
I think it's only plugs, switches and pot lights.
Jan 14, 2012
164 posts
10 upvotes
KITCHENER
Wanted an electrician to wire it. And no permit.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3080 posts
1100 upvotes
Edmonton
Supperfly wrote:
May 10th, 2017 10:08 am
No reputable electrician should be wiring this without a permit, AFAIK. I'd want to look over the work of any who would, as who knows what other corners they're willing to cut to save a few bucks. Especially when they know it's not going to be inspected...

C
Sep 11, 2006
803 posts
100 upvotes
Supperfly wrote:
May 10th, 2017 10:08 am
This guy is trolling, nobody can be this idiotic.
If no permit why do you want an electrician to do it? Just get Joe handyman to do it. It's not like the electrician who takes on this job will be responsible for anything or have liability insurance anyway.
You will not find a reputable electrical contractor to:
1. "finish" the work you started obviously to save you a few bucks.
And
2. Work without a permit and risk their livelihood to save you a few bucks.
I hope you have really really good fire insurance and I also hope your family has developed a good immunity to fire and burns...
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel