Home & Garden

Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • May 19th, 2017 8:00 pm
Tags:
None
Mar 3, 2013
429 posts
224 upvotes
Newmarket
strikeraj wrote:
May 15th, 2017 3:32 pm
Hi
I need to do Elec-check on my rental property to get the municipal rental license. Is there a checklist somewhere so I can check to make sure things are alright before the inspector comes? The ESA website does not even post the requirement to get the certificate....
I don't want to spend $300 and fail on something stupid to spend $300 for a second check again.

Thanks
No there is no checklist because every home is different. The elec check inspector creates a deficiency list. Fix what's on the list and you pass.
A Licensed Electrical Contractor
Dec 14, 2011
639 posts
157 upvotes
London
Thank you for your help!

We moved into a new home one year ago. Finishing part of my basement has been on my mind. I am typically a (knowledgeable) diy guy, but I am just not clear on something regarding the electrical. I looked on the ESA site but I am not sure. After I get the permit and run wiring, I need to get the rough in inspection. The site states that the wiring must be exposed (obviously).

The builder wood studded my walls, batt insulated and vapour barriered them floor to cieling. Therefore in order to run the outlet wires, I will need to get under the plastic and insulation.

For inspection, it is acceptable to just unfasten the bottom couple feet and pull up the insulation (temporarily tape it up folded higher against the wall) run my wire and then have it inspected or do I actually need to remove it all so the entire wall is exposed? I think my plan is ok, but don't want to fail the inspection and have to repeat it.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2008
3065 posts
1084 upvotes
Edmonton
Drakestar wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:50 am
Thank you for your help!

We moved into a new home one year ago. Finishing part of my basement has been on my mind. I am typically a (knowledgeable) diy guy, but I am just not clear on something regarding the electrical. I looked on the ESA site but I am not sure. After I get the permit and run wiring, I need to get the rough in inspection. The site states that the wiring must be exposed (obviously).

The builder wood studded my walls, batt insulated and vapour barriered them floor to cieling. Therefore in order to run the outlet wires, I will need to get under the plastic and insulation.

For inspection, it is acceptable to just unfasten the bottom couple feet and pull up the insulation (temporarily tape it up folded higher against the wall) run my wire and then have it inspected or do I actually need to remove it all so the entire wall is exposed? I think my plan is ok, but don't want to fail the inspection and have to repeat it.
Here in Edmonton, I had to sit down with one of the electrical people to go over my plan and get my permit. I used that to get clarity on what the inspectors would need/want. I would say your plan is valid. They're going to be looking for things like supports for wire, no splices outside of junction boxes, etc.

C
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7013 posts
484 upvotes
Toronto
Drakestar wrote:
May 16th, 2017 9:50 am
Thank you for your help!

The first thing. Don't overthink it . Inspectors are pretty reasonable people if they see you trying to do conscientious work.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel