Home & Garden

[2024 CODE UPDATE] Ask me anything about home electrical requirements, electrical code, wiring, devices

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 26th, 2024 3:58 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
ChicoQuente wrote: I believe this response was in response to the spacing for a light layout in the room.
The spacing can be calculated based on the room dimensions, mounting height, and desired luminescence.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1262 posts
73 upvotes
divx wrote:
it is the clearance between the top of the light fixture to the bottom of the duct.
I was also wondering about that...how much room is needed between the top of the pot and the duct typically.
divx wrote:
The spacing can be calculated based on the room dimensions, mounting height, and desired luminescence.
Sorry...how can you calculate this?
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
21738 posts
21353 upvotes
Tarrana & The Ri…
Question:

I'm trying to figure out how difficult would it be to add 2 lights above a mirror in the bathroom if there is no other existing lighting aside from one ceiling light? I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to just let the builder do it $300+tax or just get it done by an electrician after when I install pot lights. Thoughts?

Here's an example:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
JayLove06 wrote: Question:

I'm trying to figure out how difficult would it be to add 2 lights above a mirror in the bathroom if there is no other existing lighting aside from one ceiling light? I'm trying to figure out if it makes sense to just let the builder do it $300+tax or just get it done by an electrician after when I install pot lights. Thoughts?

Here's an example:
You should have the builder do it for sure. The transition from ceiling to wall can be tricky without making any extra drywall holes which will then need a fix.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
hello99 wrote: I was also wondering about that...how much room is needed between the top of the pot and the duct typically.

Sorry...how can you calculate this?
12" clearance is what i posted few posts before.

calculation is a bit involved and usually only done for commercial projects, for residential it is mostly just guesstimated.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
JayLove06 wrote: Question:
Get it done before the ceiling and wall goes up, so much easier.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Quick question...... have a couple of lights on 3 way switches that fast flicker when turned on. ! does it for a very short time then is good then other continues forever if left on.

Is it one/both of the light switches or something more ?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
luckystrike1 wrote: Quick question...... have a couple of lights on 3 way switches that fast flicker when turned on. ! does it for a very short time then is good then other continues forever if left on.

Thanks
This sounds like an issue with the lights themselves. If you just have basic on/off switches there isn’t much that can go wrong that would cause that. If one is a dimmer that’s a different story and could be your issue.

I would start with the lights though. Are they LED? Are they bulbs you can replace to see if the issue persists?
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
Hi all. I'm in a newer home that's under 5 years old. For some reason, the builder didn't add a neutral wire to one bedroom light switch. Every other light switch in the house has a neutral. I've replaced many other switches with smart switches that require a neutral. Obviously I can't do this in the one bedroom.

Is it possible to add a neutral wire now?

Thanks.
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2011
1535 posts
1256 upvotes
Hamilton
Yup, LED's so will give a shot to changing bulbs.. Thanks for the suggestion
Mar 15, 2007
621 posts
182 upvotes
Toronto
I'm aiming to install a Leviton countdown timer (LTB60) in a second floor bathroom to control a fan. The snag is that this fan is also controlled by a switch on the first floor in a 3-way setup.

First question, the Leviton instructions say that the countdown timer will not work with "regular" 3-way switches and must be used in conjunction with a Leviton switch (VP0SR). Is this true or are they trying to get you to buy more of their stuff?

Second question is wiring in the bathroom. I think I've identified the Line Hot and Line Neutral wires on the existing switch. I assume the other two black wires are the travelers. Does it matter which traveler wire is attached to the red and which traveler wire is attached to the red yellow/red wire on the countdown timer?
Images
  • wiring1.jpg
  • wiring2.jpg
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
luckystrike1 wrote: Quick question...... have a couple of lights on 3 way switches that fast flicker when turned on. ! does it for a very short time then is good then other continues forever if left on.
Thanks
Change the bulb, if flicker continues, test it with a volt meter.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
d_source wrote: Hi all. I'm in a newer home that's under 5 years old. For some reason, the builder didn't add a neutral wire to one bedroom light switch. Every other light switch in the house has a neutral. I've replaced many other switches with smart switches that require a neutral. Obviously I can't do this in the one bedroom.
Is it possible to add a neutral wire now?
Thanks.
It is always possible but may require a lot of fishing and/or opening up the drywall, it will be a mess. The builder didn't do anything wrong as the code that requires neutral did not exist before 2018.
Deal Addict
May 12, 2010
2829 posts
1032 upvotes
Vaughan
divx wrote: It is always possible but may require a lot of fishing and/or opening up the drywall, it will be a mess. The builder didn't do anything wrong as the code that requires neutral did not exist before 2018.
Thanks. I'm out of warranty anyway so I wouldn't even have been able to go back to the builder.

Would an electrician be pulling the neutral from the light? I had Mr. Potlight in here a couple years ago doing potlights on the main floor and they were able to add 2 new light fixtures and run a new line to an existing switch with just a tiny hole in the drywall that was easily patched. Wondering if this would be the same sort of idea. THX
Public Mobile $34/50GB-CAN-US/30 days
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
d_source wrote: Thanks. I'm out of warranty anyway so I wouldn't even have been able to go back to the builder.

Would an electrician be pulling the neutral from the light? I had Mr. Potlight in here a couple years ago doing potlights on the main floor and they were able to add 2 new light fixtures and run a new line to an existing switch with just a tiny hole in the drywall that was easily patched. Wondering if this would be the same sort of idea. THX
Yes they would likely just run a new 14/2 between the light and switch. As well if this bedroom is attic space above there should be no need for an drywall openings as the work could be done from above.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39343 posts
6342 upvotes
Winnipeg
d_source wrote: Thanks. I'm out of warranty anyway so I wouldn't even have been able to go back to the builder.
You can always go back to the builder for more work, it will just cost you. Getting the same contractor who built your house so they know how stuff was done in the first place.
Apr 4, 2010
4 posts
1 upvote
Hi, appreciate some clarification on the use of cable stacker and cable spacing..

Would the use of cable stacker fasteners to fasten and run nmd cables along a path considered bundling and subject to derating ?
What is the spacing requirement between each nmd cable on a running board not to be subject to bundling derating rules ?
Jun 20, 2010
471 posts
248 upvotes
hi,

in process of making two different 3-way switch controlled lights smart :) (adding TP Link kassa 3-way switches on one out of two switches)
- on light 1, on opening the switch panels found that neutral wire was only on one of the boxes...and that was ok because i wanted to put smart switch on only one of the two ( and the way i recognized neutral wire is a white pair with a twist-on wire connector). Switch installed and working OK...

- On light 2, inside the panel (on one of the switches)...i see a black and white pair (with a twist-on wireconnector/wire nut) - and a traveler pair and live wire connected to 3-way switch. The problem starts here...this black/white pair with a twist-on wire connector looks like neutral wire but what confused me is one wire is black and other is white. This could be purely laziness on electrician part ...that he didn't follow wire code. Though i just want to be sure before connecting my tplink switch neutral wire to this black/white pair....And i dont know how to ensure this pair is "neutral"? any ideas/suggestions?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 21, 2003
6323 posts
3867 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
anti_maniac wrote: hi,

in process of making two different 3-way switch controlled lights smart :) (adding TP Link kassa 3-way switches on one out of two switches)
- on light 1, on opening the switch panels found that neutral wire was only on one of the boxes...and that was ok because i wanted to put smart switch on only one of the two ( and the way i recognized neutral wire is a white pair with a twist-on wire connector). Switch installed and working OK...

- On light 2, inside the panel (on one of the switches)...i see a black and white pair (with a twist-on wireconnector/wire nut) - and a traveler pair and live wire connected to 3-way switch. The problem starts here...this black/white pair with a twist-on wire connector looks like neutral wire but what confused me is one wire is black and other is white. This could be purely laziness on electrician part ...that he didn't follow wire code. Though i just want to be sure before connecting my tplink switch neutral wire to this black/white pair....And i dont know how to ensure this pair is "neutral"? any ideas/suggestions?
Your descriptions are kind of confusing. Take some pictures of the switch you’re having trouble with.
Jun 15, 2020
2 posts
What do I need to know from the code about installing a medicine cabinet with an integrated electrical outlet. 15A GFCI acceptable?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)