Ask Me Anything About Honda Service and Repairs

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 8:40 am
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto

Ask Me Anything About Honda Service and Repairs

Hi all, I am a manager of a service repair shop specializing in Honda and Acura vehicles. I have viewed the posts on RFD often for other things and thought i would offer my good advice to the community in regards to anyone looking for information or second opinions on repairing or servicing. So.......ask away!

HondaServiceGuy
1082 replies
Jan 14, 2009
141 posts
2 upvotes
so what is the scoop on odyssey issues. I hear complaints of tranny and powersliding door.
May 15, 2004
297 posts
12 upvotes
my 04 acura TL is nearing 145K.... when should i have the timing belt done and how much would that cost?
thanks~
Oct 12, 2006
50 posts
Ottawa
Are there any common issues with a 2005 Accord EX?

What types of things need to be inspected or replaced when the vehicle is currently at about 85,000km?

Thanks.
Banned
Nov 9, 2008
62 posts
7 upvotes
zymcpcp wrote: Are there any common issues with a 2005 Accord EX?

What types of things need to be inspected or replaced when the vehicle is currently at about 85,000km?

Thanks.
Also driving an 05 accord. KM's at 120000... getting a transmission (manual) flush next week. Scheduled maintenance I have had done at active green + ross...(i won't be going back to active... they seemed to only focus on the oil change, but said the maintenance was done too...)

They couldn't get the "maintenance req'd" light to turn off. Jiffy lube also could not deactivate it last time I was there.

Had the mechanic plug it into the scanner... code came back "P0507 Idle Air control system revolution per minute higher than expected"

Any ideas? I've been hesitant to bring it into Honda... the car has been fine, and I really cant afford a $400 bill right now!!

is there anything else you recommend to get the most out of the car?
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2006
1077 posts
131 upvotes
HondaServiceGuy wrote: Hi all, I am a manager of a service repair shop specializing in Honda and Acura vehicles. I have viewed the posts on RFD often for other things and thought i would offer my good advice to the community in regards to anyone looking for information or second opinions on repairing or servicing. So.......ask away!

HondaServiceGuy
How many 4cyl automatic 98 accord tranny failures have you guys seen? Mine just started acting up at 196K with regular tranny fluid replacements at honda!
Feb 3, 2009
21 posts
Toronto
i have 08 acura tsx, 6 speed manual, it jerks little too much in lower speed lower gear(especially in first gear). I found that the DBW system in K series engine causing the problem, seems every honda/acura car with K series engine with DBW having same problem especially with manual tranny. Is there anyway to fix that?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 5, 2003
5068 posts
5010 upvotes
Toronto
Hi, I bought an accessory and it requires a rivnut tool to install. The instructions say the tool is available through the "Honda Tool and Equipment Program". Is this a program for dealerships to borrow specialized tools from Honda Canada? How can a customer like me rent the tool? Do parts/service departments normally rent this out to customers?
Nov 15, 2008
39 posts
Do you have any idea where I can find one, have it cut and programmed for 8th generation Civic ?

The ones I can find from e-bay is missing trunk & panic button :cry:

But Acura sells blank switchblade keys, eh.
Can I modify Acura TL switchblade key to work for Civic ?

Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
BlueStar wrote: my 04 acura TL is nearing 145K.... when should i have the timing belt done and how much would that cost?
thanks~
The manufacturer's recommendation is to do the belt about 160000km. Original equipment parts should run $350.00 including a water pump and coolant which is highly recommended when doing the timing belt. Most shops will charge about 6 hours of labour to install. Multiply that by the labour rate of the shop and you've got your total.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
zymcpcp wrote: Are there any common issues with a 2005 Accord EX?

Thanks.
Sorry, very difficult to say what your vehicle requires at this mileage without knowing the history of service. Check out this link to view the entire schedule on your vehicle (and others) at Honda's website:

http://www.honda.ca/HondaCA2006/YourHon ... lt.asp?L=E

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
xtr_trek wrote: Also driving an 05 accord. KM's at 120000... getting a transmission (manual) flush next week. Scheduled maintenance I have had done at active green + ross...(i won't be going back to active... they seemed to only focus on the oil change, but said the maintenance was done too...)

They couldn't get the "maintenance req'd" light to turn off. Jiffy lube also could not deactivate it last time I was there.

Had the mechanic plug it into the scanner... code came back "P0507 Idle Air control system revolution per minute higher than expected"

Any ideas? I've been hesitant to bring it into Honda... the car has been fine, and I really cant afford a $400 bill right now!!

is there anything else you recommend to get the most out of the car?

Your maintenance light staying on is not connected to the code you have received. To reset your light, follow instructions in your owners manual. They are a bit complicated so i won't post here. PM me if you don't have a manual and i'll try my best to explain the details.

Your MIL light code is specifically related to the Idle air control valve, but just knowing that code is not enough to determine the underlying problem. If your car is driving ok, you could choose to ignore for now, but there may be impact on your fuel mileage.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
ids748 wrote: How many 4cyl automatic 98 accord tranny failures have you guys seen? Mine just started acting up at 196K with regular tranny fluid replacements at honda!
Many. This is quite a common problem. In fact, Honda extended the warranty on these parts to 7.75 years (weird) and 175000km. Unfortunately, your no longer eligible and too far out for any assistance now.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
psj82139 wrote: i have 08 acura tsx, 6 speed manual, it jerks little too much in lower speed lower gear(especially in first gear). I found that the DBW system in K series engine causing the problem, seems every honda/acura car with K series engine with DBW having same problem especially with manual tranny. Is there anyway to fix that?
No, this is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. You can take this to your local Acura store for there opinion. As your vehicle is covered under warranty, there will be no charge for this inspection.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
jm1 wrote: Hi, I bought an accessory and it requires a rivnut tool to install. The instructions say the tool is available through the "Honda Tool and Equipment Program". Is this a program for dealerships to borrow specialized tools from Honda Canada? How can a customer like me rent the tool? Do parts/service departments normally rent this out to customers?
Unfortunately there is no tool lending program and they are not available for retail per se.....certainly not at that price. Your best bet is to bring it to the dealer for install. Sorry.

HSG
Feb 17, 2009
156 posts
12 upvotes
I've got a 2006 RSX with leaky taillights. From I understand, this is quite common. My warranty will be up in April and I'd like a new set of taillights. How has this problem been dealt with up to now?
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Malicious wrote: I've got a 2006 RSX with leaky taillights. From I understand, this is quite common. My warranty will be up in April and I'd like a new set of taillights. How has this problem been dealt with up to now?
Assuming that they are original equipment tail lights, simply bring them to an Acura store for warranty replacement. There is no reason that they should not replace them entirely. Do not except offer to repair them. They will need to order likely, so i would do it fast.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
haisha wrote: Do you have any idea where I can find one, have it cut and programmed for 8th generation Civic ?

The ones I can find from e-bay is missing trunk & panic button :cry:

But Acura sells blank switchblade keys, eh.
Can I modify Acura TL switchblade key to work for Civic ?

There will be an issue with the signal type from the Acura key to the Civic as they are different. If you can find away to swap electronics, it would work. I would not recommend though.

HSG
Jan 14, 2009
141 posts
2 upvotes
have not purchased, but what year should we avoid? I hear 2005, 2006 and up is ok, but 2004 and older had issues. true? what issues are in the newer odyssey's you've seen? I'm thinking of a new 2009

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)