Automotive

Ask Me Anything About Honda Service and Repairs

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2021 8:40 am
Mar 18, 2008
45 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
A 1993 Honda steered out of control and onto a sidewalk. The car went onto the sidewalk, causing the left tires of the front and rear to pop and also damage to the rims (of the same tires, front left and rear left). Is there potential damage to the suspension of the car? The cost of the entire assembly and left rear control line?
Nov 2, 2005
384 posts
8 upvotes
Hi,

I have a 2000 Odyssey with about 142000kms. I bought this used back in December, and it was driving excellent. However, I recently started hearing a rattling sound when in gear (Drive or Reverse) and when I pass parked vehicles I heard a ticking sound reflected off the cars. It goes away when I shift it into Park. I had a look under the hood to where the sound may be coming from and it sounds like its coming from where the belts are located or more-so bottom area. I am aware of the tranny issues with these vans, but the van is driving and shifting perfectly.

Just to add:

I recently had the transmission fluid replaced with Honda ATF from the Dealer and I had the oil changed with Penzoil Synthetic.
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: Hey Buddy,

I have a 2002 Civic SIR, and I recently got a engine light that keeps going on and off. The code reads P0420. My mileage has dropped by about 20-50km

Alot of people say replace the secondary 02 first and try, then replace the CAT. Does that sound right?
Sounds about right. A proper diagnostic will tell you exactly whats wrong and save you lots of money.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
mliongco wrote: Hi,

I have a 2000 Odyssey with about 142000kms. I bought this used back in December, and it was driving excellent. However, I recently started hearing a rattling sound when in gear (Drive or Reverse) and when I pass parked vehicles I heard a ticking sound reflected off the cars. It goes away when I shift it into Park. I had a look under the hood to where the sound may be coming from and it sounds like its coming from where the belts are located or more-so bottom area. I am aware of the tranny issues with these vans, but the van is driving and shifting perfectly.

Just to add:

I recently had the transmission fluid replaced with Honda ATF from the Dealer and I had the oil changed with Penzoil Synthetic.
There is more load and vibration when in drive, so there is still alot of possibilities there. Only one way to find out. Have it inspected.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
Xyrodon wrote: A 1993 Honda steered out of control and onto a sidewalk. The car went onto the sidewalk, causing the left tires of the front and rear to pop and also damage to the rims (of the same tires, front left and rear left). Is there potential damage to the suspension of the car? The cost of the entire assembly and left rear control line?
I'm picturing based on your description a more than minor incident to which i would reply - How can there not be damage to the suspension? Get It Looked AT

HSG
Feb 12, 2009
13 posts
Ontario
Hi There,

Looking at a 2005 Honda Accord EX-L V6 Automatic Transmission.... vehicle has about 160,000KM. If looking at purchasing the vehicle, are there any general service/maintenance issues that should have occurred by this point? Any particular issues that pop up around this age/KM? (I recognize the KM are fairly high for the age)

Thanks
May 20, 2009
1 posts
Edmonton
I have an 2002 Accord EX sedan and 2002 3.2TL-S that needs some auto body parts. Do you know any companies/ places/ websites that will ship to Edmonton, Alberta and will charge a reasonable price for the parts? Thanks in advance for your reply.
Jun 15, 2002
112 posts
2 upvotes
T.O.
Hi HSG,

I'll get straight to the point.. :D

'07 Civic w/ 83K on odo.
Recently after oil change while driving 25-30km/h (steady) the car start shuddering / lightly shaking. If I accelerate, then the shudder/shaking is gone.
Got any idea what's wrong?

TIA!
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
gt0ro wrote: Hi,

I have a 2008 TSX @ 50,000km. The service reminder in my car indicates that I should get a B1 service. I've searched around and my general impression is that I do not need to get the full B1 service at the dealership. The B1 service will cost me around $250 while an oil change $50.

* Replace engine oil* and filter.
* Rotate tires,** inspect for wear and adjust pressure
* Service front and rear brakes.
* Inspect parking brake adjustments.
* Inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box and boots.
* Inspect suspension components.
* Inspect driveshaft boots.
* Inspect brake hoses and lines (including ABS)
* Check all fluid levels, condition of fluids and check for leaks.
* Inspect exhaust system.
* Inspect fuel lines and connections.

Do the inspections and brake servicing really cost $200? Are there alternatives?
Here is a breakdown of the individual services that make up the B. The total price of the B is $198.88. That includes the oil change, so it's not in fact $250.

Oil Change - $43.88
Front and Rear Brake Service - $115.00
Tire Rotation - $36.88
Plus Detailed Inspection

The tire Rotation is really more or less included with the brake services, so i suppose you could waive that. Which would bring you to $158.88. So the big question therefore is what is the inspection portion worth. In my opinion it is worth the $40.00. It also keeps you on track with the maintenance schedule.
Mar 22, 2009
21 posts
1 upvote
Toronto
Am I the lucky one? I have driven Honda's for years, followed the manufacturers schedule and dealer recommendations and I've never had a problem. I don't want my car breaking down so I maintain it- simple!!!
May 19, 2009
23 posts
3 upvotes
hi

1) i have a 08 accord ex-l manual. has 42k on it. 2 weeks ago i found out that a/c is not working, went to the dealer and found out that its caused by a stone/debris which punctured the condenser and is not covered under warranty. charged me $110 for diagnose , estimate repair will be $750.00 for new condenser including labor and freon. my question is that if i get the repair done from outside mechanic will it void my warranty on the vehicle?

2) since friday now i can hear a constant metal squeak from the rear wheels, i have checked the brakes and the brake wear sensor, they are all good. squeak starts and stops random, its now happening very often even at low speeds, it doesnt squeak when i brake. it will stop for a while if a spray wd40 between rotor and the brake shield. DO you know any common issue like this with 08 accords?
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
junior son wrote: Am I the lucky one? I have driven Honda's for years, followed the manufacturers schedule and dealer recommendations and I've never had a problem. I don't want my car breaking down so I maintain it- simple!!!
Yes you do as i now know. And that's really the key. Although maintenance can not eliminate all problems, it certainly on average is the key to a safe and reliable car with minimum operating costs.

BTW - Thank you for the business. I hope you enjoyed your visit with us and we look forward to seeing you again.

HSG
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
kakakidan wrote: hi

1) i have a 08 accord ex-l manual. has 42k on it. 2 weeks ago i found out that a/c is not working, went to the dealer and found out that its caused by a stone/debris which punctured the condenser and is not covered under warranty. charged me $110 for diagnose , estimate repair will be $750.00 for new condenser including labor and freon. my question is that if i get the repair done from outside mechanic will it void my warranty on the vehicle?

2) since friday now i can hear a constant metal squeak from the rear wheels, i have checked the brakes and the brake wear sensor, they are all good. squeak starts and stops random, its now happening very often even at low speeds, it doesnt squeak when i brake. it will stop for a while if a spray wd40 between rotor and the brake shield. DO you know any common issue like this with 08 accords?
1. The answer to your first question is no, it will not void the entire cars warranty. However, any associated components warranty may be affected. Certainly your AC warranty will be. If you are looking to save cost, one of things you could do is ask the Honda dealer to use an aftermarket condenser. At least you know that the job will be done right and that might in fact minimize future issues.

2. If it's happening when your not braking, then something is certainly touching your rotor. I have seen even small pebbles get lodged in the brakes and create this type of noise. This should be evident on a visual inspection. No, there are no common issues on Accord in relation to brake squek

HSG
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
junior son wrote: This time I waited for my car to be serviced. Next time I may head downtown. How close is the nearest subway station? Cheers :cheesygri
The closest subway station is Woodbine Station at Woodbine & Danforth. It's probably a short 5 minute walk from the dealership.
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote: The closest subway station is Woodbine Station at Woodbine & Danforth. It's probably a short 5 minute walk from the dealership.
Ya, you got it. The woodbine subway station is literally a block away. Pretty convenient for Downtown or other service clients that want to drop there car and go somewhere, like work, quick and without hassle. We give away to and return fare to all service customers regardless of what there car is in for.

A question to those that read this thread, my intention was always to provide useful and valuable information to the masses without any thought of personal gain, hence my remaining anonymous up until this point. I am interested in the opinion of the community as far as how this affects the value of information - do the RFD'rs think that the info is less biased and/or more valuable when it is clear that the intention is not for personal gain? Does anonymity in matter?

FYI - our web address is www.torontohonda.com for those that want more information on our store.

HSG
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2002
15718 posts
7437 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I understand why you want to maintain anonymity, but I personally prefer (and would be more incline to give you my business) if I know who you are and had the opportunity to meet you. I had the pleasure to deal with Jeff who started the other Honda thread and he is a wonderful sales associate. He was upfront with who he is in that thread which is fine because you can see he is genuine and unbiased in all his responses. So I think you can still come across as unbiased without needing anonymity.
Mar 12, 2009
288 posts
65 upvotes
Toronto
rvs007 wrote: I understand why you want to maintain anonymity, but I personally prefer (and would be more incline to give you my business) if I know who you are and had the opportunity to meet you. I had the pleasure to deal with Jeff who started the other Honda thread and he is a wonderful sales associate. He was upfront with who he is in that thread which is fine because you can see he is genuine and unbiased in all his responses. So I think you can still come across as unbiased without needing anonymity.
Thanks for the comment I appreciate the feedback. Did you end up purchasing from Jeff? What did you get? How's the car?

FYI - Your first oil change with us, as with all new customers, wether they are new purchasers or just never been here for service is FREE. So, I guess we'll be seeing you for service shortly. Be sure to introduce yourself.

HSG
Jan 2, 2009
256 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
My question is regarding the paint quality on the new 8th generation Civics. I own a white '07 sedan with about 26K on it, and I have noticed what looks like little rusts spots on the car. The paint is not chipped or anything in these areas so why do I get these spots?

Also, I have noticed two small rust spots right under the rear glass, where the trunk closes. I don't think this is normal on an almost new car.

I've had a '97 Civic for 10 years before this one, and my wife has an '04 and we didn't have any such issues with those cars.

Should I just take the car to the dealership and have someone take a look at it? My experience with Honda Service has not always been very good. That's why I'm hesitant to take the car to Honda.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Mar 2, 2009
248 posts
36 upvotes
Arviat
Hi HSG,

Thanks for helping everyone like me here on RFD.
Recently purchased a new Honda.
My question is How can you tell a whether or not a security system has been installed on the vehicle? After locking all the doors with the remote (but with windows open) i manually opened the door from the open window and started the car. The car doesnt sound any alarm. Does this mean the alarm is not working or its not installed?

Thanks
Active :cool:
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1467 posts
135 upvotes
Quite possibly this is metal fragments that penetrated the body and started rusting. Not an uncommon thing, sadly.
07Ex wrote: My question is regarding the paint quality on the new 8th generation Civics. I own a white '07 sedan with about 26K on it, and I have noticed what looks like little rusts spots on the car. The paint is not chipped or anything in these areas so why do I get these spots?

Also, I have noticed two small rust spots right under the rear glass, where the trunk closes. I don't think this is normal on an almost new car.

I've had a '97 Civic for 10 years before this one, and my wife has an '04 and we didn't have any such issues with those cars.

Should I just take the car to the dealership and have someone take a look at it? My experience with Honda Service has not always been very good. That's why I'm hesitant to take the car to Honda.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)