• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 11:17 pm
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5028 posts
460 upvotes
nighthawk26 wrote:
May 4th, 2010 9:27 am
Tha accuclean is a fantastic unit no doubt and LS without question knows his stuff. he is FAR more on the technical side than me. That said, I'm the one onthe front lines selling this stuff every day. The accuclean I belieev is north of $1500 or so. You likely will never find it on Ebay, AS will protect its dealers as Carrier and Lennox and York do for example.
Wow the Honeywell unit seems a lot cheaper then. Any comments on other competing products? It looks like most of the major companies offer similar air purification products.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
nighthawk26 wrote:
May 4th, 2010 9:27 am
Tha accuclean is a fantastic unit no doubt and LS without question knows his stuff. he is FAR more on the technical side than me. That said, I'm the one onthe front lines selling this stuff every day. The accuclean I belieev is north of $1500 or so. You likely will never find it on Ebay, AS will protect its dealers as Carrier and Lennox and York do for example.

So as good as this thing is, quite often it comes to someones budget and we have to work with it what we can.
You can actually get it for a bit less, depending on the contractor, and the installation requirements. I have seen prices ranging from $1,100.00 to $1,400.00 depending on the ease of installation, and how desperate the contractor is. I think a fair price is around $1,200.00 for this machine.
If you like my post, please upvote! :)
Putting people and solutions together since 1995
Need quick advice? Email me at RFDfanOttawa@gmail.com
Deal Fanatic
Nov 8, 2002
5028 posts
460 upvotes
Limoges_shopper wrote:
May 4th, 2010 11:02 am
You can actually get it for a bit less, depending on the contractor, and the installation requirements. I have seen prices ranging from $1,100.00 to $1,400.00 depending on the ease of installation, and how desperate the contractor is. I think a fair price is around $1,200.00 for this machine.
Is there anything cheaper you can recommend? I've been using Sharp Plasmaclusters in some rooms of my current house with success, and the Accuclean claims to be significantly better than room air cleaners. I guess my allergies aren't that bad? I noticed a big difference in level of congestion after waking up in the morning after getting the Plasmaclusters. I think I'd just need to get maybe 2 more Plasmacluster units for the new house (so around $300-400 range). Is there anything closer to this price-point that would do the whole house? Or even a little more expensive is okay with installation ($5-600?), or if it doesn't require much future cost (like replacing filters, etc).

I'm also in Ottawa as well. Anything you offer directly that would fit what I'm looking for? And do you do AC/heat-pump installations in Quebec (Gatineau)? (co-worker is having trouble finding contractors in Quebec that don't charge a crazy amount vs Ontario)
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Limoges_shopper wrote:
May 4th, 2010 11:02 am
http://cgi.ebay.com/Accuclean-American- ... 3caacfe249

Great price @ $595. You'll have to talk to the seller and try to ask him to ship it to Canada. Most of the time it will work if you are reasonable with the seller. That is how I got my $150 Honeywell F300E and $49 Honeywell UV light. Both units will cost 3X more in Canada without installation cost!
Deal Addict
Mar 14, 2005
1793 posts
40 upvotes
What is everyone thoughts on the "top tier" brands. I'm debating between a 13 Seer, 2.0 Ton unit and am stuck between Carrier, Trane, York and Lennox. They are all priced between $2500-$2700 from reputable dealers with warranty.

What is the better brand out of Carrier, Trane, York and Lennox???
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Brandon wrote:
May 4th, 2010 11:14 am
Is there anything cheaper you can recommend? I've been using Sharp Plasmaclusters in some rooms of my current house with success, and the Accuclean claims to be significantly better than room air cleaners. I guess my allergies aren't that bad? I noticed a big difference in level of congestion after waking up in the morning after getting the Plasmaclusters. I think I'd just need to get maybe 2 more Plasmacluster units for the new house (so around $300-400 range). Is there anything closer to this price-point that would do the whole house? Or even a little more expensive is okay with installation ($5-600?), or if it doesn't require much future cost (like replacing filters, etc).

I'm also in Ottawa as well. Anything you offer directly that would fit what I'm looking for? And do you do AC/heat-pump installations in Quebec (Gatineau)? (co-worker is having trouble finding contractors in Quebec that don't charge a crazy amount vs Ontario)
Hi,

I don't offer services in the threads - it's against RFD policy and code of conduct, I think.

anyway, I can tell you that the room filters work locally, but they don't do the full job. The type of air cleaner that AcculCean is, is actually two types of air treatment: 1 as a filter that traps particles, and the other as an organism killer. The organism killer portion is the electronic side where cell walls of bacteria, etc... are destroyed by passing through a charged corona (high magnetic field) that breaks the cell walls, thus killing the organism. So it's more than what you are looking for, but not as easily replaced by it. With the furnace-mounted ones, you actually treat all the air in your home, not just localized areas. And this is why it costs a bit more: it does more.

There are other alternatives: like barrier filtration, which is good for allergy sufferers, like a MERV 11 5" thick pleated filter. It will treat all the air in your home, and costs about $50.00 a year for filters, delivered.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
xstatik wrote:
May 4th, 2010 11:40 am
What is everyone thoughts on the "top tier" brands. I'm debating between a 13 Seer, 2.0 Ton unit and am stuck between Carrier, Trane, York and Lennox. They are all priced between $2500-$2700 from reputable dealers with warranty.

Of the 4 brands, I would pick Carrier.
Aug 22, 2009
18 posts
Hi,

Just today i got a quote for the following:

American Standard AC
3.5 ton; 13 seer
-$2600

Honeywell TrueSteam Humidifier
-$250

Honeywell Electronic Air Cleaner
$499

Total $3350 plus 5% GST. Includes Installation.

Is this a reasonable price? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Poupa
Oct 2, 2007
196 posts
48 upvotes
Mississauga
Well I decided to turn on my new Lenox XC14 installed late last fall... seem to cool fine but within the house I can hear a harsh "buzz" from the unit where the lines come into the house and also from the air return in the dining room... it's kinda annoying! I imagine it is the compressor. Is this normal or can I mufflle it somehow?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
wasserware wrote:
May 4th, 2010 11:29 am
http://cgi.ebay.com/Accuclean-American- ... 3caacfe249

Great price @ $595. You'll have to talk to the seller and try to ask him to ship it to Canada. Most of the time it will work if you are reasonable with the seller. That is how I got my $150 Honeywell F300E and $49 Honeywell UV light. Both units will cost 3X more in Canada without installation cost!
Well, the price you have quoted is real low, but it has to be installed by a certified technician. These aren't your simple run-of-the mill units, and there is no warranty on stuff bought on e-bay. So you might be showing a hot price and a great link, but homeowners should be ware of this stuff. You have to pay taxes on this coming across the border, plus you have to pay to have it installed. The price you quoted for your EAC is real low and not typical for this type of equipment, let alone the AccuClean.
Do-it-yourself projects are great money-savers, but when you interlock them with the furnace, you have to have qualified people installing them for you. So, sometimes it's better to have the contractor to install it - and get a quality installation as well as the warranty too.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2009
1636 posts
53 upvotes
Markham
Limoges_shopper wrote:
May 4th, 2010 12:27 pm
Well, the price you have quoted is real low, but it has to be installed by a certified technician. These aren't your simple run-of-the mill units, and there is no warranty on stuff bought on e-bay. So you might be showing a hot price and a great link, but homeowners should be ware of this stuff. You have to pay taxes on this coming across the border, plus you have to pay to have it installed. The price you quoted for your EAC is real low and not typical for this type of equipment, let alone the AccuClean.
Do-it-yourself projects are great money-savers, but when you interlock them with the furnace, you have to have qualified people installing them for you. So, sometimes it's better to have the contractor to install it - and get a quality installation as well as the warranty too.
Good points. The warranty on these type of things are usually valid if it is purchased brand new. Moreoever, this is a 100% electronic device with extremely low chances of defect out of the box. It is not overly complicated to install an air filter anyways. There are certain things I recommend buying online for much lower and paying a contractor to install it or DIY, there are certain things I will NEVER buy online no matter how attractive the price.

Lets say one purchased this unit for $599 on ebay + 13% taxes and duty and shipping and paying $150 to $200 for someone to come and install it, the end price is still much cheaper than getting it locally. Plus the technician that comes in to do the install is happy because it is just 1 or 2 hours of his time.

Nobody can beat $49 for a brand new Honeywell TrueUV system! For my Honeywell F300, the price is $150 (unit) + $30 shipping + $150 install cost.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
wasserware wrote:
May 4th, 2010 12:32 pm
Good points. The warranty on these type of things are usually valid if it is purchased brand new. Moreoever, this is a 100% electronic device with extremely low chances of defect out of the box. It is not overly complicated to install an air filter anyways. There are certain things I recommend buying online for much lower and paying a contractor to install it or DIY, there are certain things I will NEVER buy online no matter how attractive the price.

Lets say one purchased this unit for $599 on ebay + 13% taxes and duty and shipping and paying $150 to $200 for someone to come and install it, the end price is still much cheaper than getting it locally. Plus the technician that comes in to do the install is happy because it is just 1 or 2 hours of his time.

Nobody can beat $49 for a brand new Honeywell TrueUV system!
Actually, if you don't buy the AccuClean form an authorized dealer, then the warranty is void. So you are in a buyer beware situation. And you really don't want to screw around with pricey stuff like that.
Mar 6, 2005
614 posts
160 upvotes
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if both AC lines need to be insulated? I have the lines coming out and going about 7ft away. The intake line is not insulated while the return line is. Just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks Terry
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1827 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
tpirovol wrote:
May 4th, 2010 2:19 pm
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering if both AC lines need to be insulated? I have the lines coming out and going about 7ft away. The intake line is not insulated while the return line is. Just wondering if this is normal?

Thanks Terry
Hi Terry,

Only the thick line needs to be insulated. That-is, if it's a central air conditioner connected to a furnace. If it's a ductless heat pump, then both should be insulated.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
xstatik wrote:
May 4th, 2010 11:40 am

I've said this in likely 3 posts in less than 24 hours.

I'm not intending to attack or be rude but please understand the question you're asking is FAR too vague.

It's like calling saying, I am looking at Audi, BMW, and Mercedes. Is it a 3 series, a 5 series, a 6 series? A carrier at $2500 will be a hell of a lot different feature and performance wise than a york at $2700. Half as loud, full steel cabinet, etc, etc. Model numbers will help your question a long way.