[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
120 upvotes
Markham
hammer wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2008 10:55 pm
Where can i get a vent cap for a range hood vent that is 8 inch diameter... HD only has 6 inch. :(
Maticair Supply & Mfg

99 Mccleary Crt
Vaughan, ON , L4K 3Z1

Phone: 905-738-5888
Deal Addict
Oct 4, 2001
1339 posts
44 upvotes
bririp wrote:
Nov 4th, 2008 3:35 pm
Maticair Supply & Mfg

99 Mccleary Crt
Vaughan, ON , L4K 3Z1

Phone: 905-738-5888
Thanks! They have it! :-0
All is not golde that outward shewith bright...lydgate
Mar 20, 2008
185 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton
I'm looking for a furnace filter that is 15 3/8" x 25 1/2" x 5 1/4" I have recieved a price of $110.00 for three filters. Is this a good price? Anyone know of any better prices?
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
3356 posts
60 upvotes
Ontario
Djayjay wrote:
Nov 5th, 2008 10:46 am
I'm looking for a furnace filter that is 15 3/8" x 25 1/2" x 5 1/4" I have recieved a price of $110.00 for three filters. Is this a good price? Anyone know of any better prices?
Is that not a common size filter? Why are you paying so much?
Mar 20, 2008
185 posts
1 upvote
Hamilton
dgmorr wrote:
Nov 5th, 2008 11:11 am
Is that not a common size filter? Why are you paying so much?

No it isn't. It is 5 1/4 inches thick. It is for an SAS Media Air Cleaner.
Nov 26, 2003
55 posts
16 upvotes
Markham
I plan on finishing my basement. I was told by the clerk at the Markham Civic Centre that heating registers had to be brought to the floor. I didn't see this as a requirement in the Ontario Building Code (in fact, to the contrary, 6.2.4.4 mentions registers on the ceiling). Do you know if this is really a requirement?

Also, are the requirements about the diameter of ducting?

Thanks,
Charlton
Aug 10, 2004
189 posts
30 upvotes
Calgary
do you have any recommendations on furnace manufacturers?

any more reliable than others? I've heard good things about Carrier or Train. Some bad reviews on Lennox.

Any Opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
120 upvotes
Markham
Pretty much all brands are good, the thing that will set your furnace aside from your friends will be the quality of the installation and the whole system. Carrier and Trane are definately good brands, but I would concentrate on finding a good installer first and then choosing from the brands that they carry.

My 2cents
samo147 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2008 7:03 pm
do you have any recommendations on furnace manufacturers?

any more reliable than others? I've heard good things about Carrier or Train. Some bad reviews on Lennox.

Any Opinions appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Sep 26, 2008
469 posts
91 upvotes
Ottawa
Hi,

There seems to be a lot of conflicting info out there on the need for a humidifier in a new home. Many people seem to be of the opinion that a new home shouldn't normally need extra humidity in the wintertime, particularly in the first year or so, as the envelope is tight and many of the construction materials are drying out. In fact, if humity is excessively low, this could be the symptom of a different problem. Confusing!!

What are your thoughts on this?

I'm wondering if I should buy a humidifier from my builder although I'm also thinking I'd be better off with the wait and see approach.

tx
Aug 22, 2006
33 posts
1 upvote
Just want to see if anyone can help me out on this topic of

Low pressure cut out and;
- Describe what the component does and how
- where it is used
- how it operates
- describe its operating limitations
- safety concerns

thxs for the help.
Nov 24, 2002
890 posts
66 upvotes
Toronto
This is a very touchy subject for me, because I was battling a 1-pipe to 2-pipe install for the last 3 weeks.

I live in downtown Toronto, in a house build in 1920. I own a 5 year old high eff furnace. (Lived in the house for ~1 year now).

Last winter, I noticed that the finished basement was always cold, and upstairs bedroom was 27-30 degrees!! I had a reputable HVAC company come in and do the following work (for ~600$):

- Convert 1 pipe install to 2 pipe 636 install
- Add cold air return duct in basement
- add damper to HVAC trunc going to bedroom (so I can control heat better in house)
- All was professionally done, up to code, and within furnace manf. specs (number of elbows, pipe length, pipe width, etc.)

The company did a great job, but a lot of problems started since:

- The inducer motor (motor that sucks outside air, and blows burned gas out of furnace) started to give me problems:
+ run too hot
+ make high pitch squeeking noise (like old CPU fan)
+ caused flame to go out and reignite. After 4 tries, the furnace gave up and gave an error on the circuit board. I needed to cycle the power to furnace to make it run again.

The company came out multiple times, and tried multiple things:

- replaced the blower, replaced 2 sensors, etc. Same problem. At the end, they ended up taking out almost all elbows, and now I have almost a straight pipe from furnace to outside (for exhaust) and it seems to be working fine now.

I'm not sure if the problem was an existing problem, that was exacerbated by the change in venting, or the number of elbows were just too close and too often (even though it was within spec of install manual of furnace)

I still get shivers thinking about my furnace, checking it every hour (when at home) hopping it'll continue on running when it's -20 outside.

If anyone else experienced something similar, or might know what it could have been.. I'd love to hear from you. I know my furnace guy was basically running out of options (and I was running out of hope).

P.S. The furnace is a 90% High eff. Luxaire (York) 80,000 BTU unit.

P.P.S. I did notice something interesting (the furnace guy was surprised to see it as well). The exhaust pipe, drain pipe, and even old induction motor were all covered by a lair of black carbon. Should I be worried about this?
Mar 24, 2008
366 posts
11 upvotes
The above post is an example of why the HVAC industry is challenging to work in.
Dec 26, 2002
617 posts
2 upvotes
My furnace is not working properly, it comes on and off by itself even if I have it on at all times, thus I don't always have heat when I need it. I've tried switching the fuse on and off, turning the starter knob and even replaced the thermostat and it's still the same. I'm suspecting that it's either my starter or the pilot is dying. What should I do? I thought about joining the Hip program from direct energy and having them come out and fix it but reading some of the threads it's more of a horror story to be w/ them. I had it cleaned and fixed last year too. The furnace it almost 15 yrs old and the guy from direct energy said it was still in good shape so I don't want to replace it. Can you give me some advice? Thanks.

One more thing, if it was the starter or the pilot, how much would it cost to fix it? Should I go on the plan and have them come out and fix it or just get a repair guy?
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2006
3568 posts
33 upvotes
Hi, I have a Quatro True Blue 90 Furnace (made by Consolidated which is out of business), and I need to replace the collector box. The furnace still works, but the collector box is being held together with tape. Where can I get a replacement, or can I just make one myself. It looks like a small plastic box about 4"x2"x3" that the 3 pipes connect to.

I think all it does is collect excess moisture from condensation and gets rid of it. Sometimes it gets all jammed up with gunk and the pilot light shuts off. I just take it off and blow out all the gunk, then it works again. The dam plastic broke so I just taped it up.