• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 11:17 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
wasserware wrote:
May 27th, 2010 1:02 am
Check out the link on the bottom of my signature. I just have the exact same unit installed in my 2000 square feet house 2 Ton for $3850.
Note there is a large price difference between a 2 ton CZH and a 3 ton CZH. Lots changes including lineset size, how welds have to be done, etc.
Dec 15, 2008
46 posts
6 upvotes
Gloucester
Hello,

I live in a town house built in 1998. The AC unit probably came with the house at that time.
It is my first summer in the house, and the past couple days I've turned the AC on however the temperature in the house is not going down.
Feeling the air vents it seems like the fan is going full blast, but the air it's blowing isn't very cool.
I believe the air flow should be ok as I made it through winter and the heating worked fine.
I had the AC set to 19degrees the past two nights, however after waking up it seems like the temperature did not change at all. Still between 29-30 degrees (which is roughly the outside temperature).
I've been reading some online wiki's, some suggest cleaning out the filter, but it could also potentially be that the freon level is low.
I know pretty much next to nothing about AC units, so if any experts in this thread could help that would be great.
Basically, if the heating system works ok, does this just mean its a freon problem? Is there any indicator I could check to see what the freon level is?
If it is the filter, that's also above furnace in the sheet metal box which I wouldn't be able to access.
Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem before calling a technician?

P.S. Does anyone know any good technicians in the Ottawa area?
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2009
4055 posts
781 upvotes
Aurora
I was wondering if an HRV unit affects an AC install?
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1828 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
Cruizer3000 wrote:
May 27th, 2010 10:01 am
Hello,

I live in a town house built in 1998. The AC unit probably came with the house at that time.
It is my first summer in the house, and the past couple days I've turned the AC on however the temperature in the house is not going down.
Feeling the air vents it seems like the fan is going full blast, but the air it's blowing isn't very cool.
I believe the air flow should be ok as I made it through winter and the heating worked fine.
I had the AC set to 19degrees the past two nights, however after waking up it seems like the temperature did not change at all. Still between 29-30 degrees (which is roughly the outside temperature).
I've been reading some online wiki's, some suggest cleaning out the filter, but it could also potentially be that the freon level is low.
I know pretty much next to nothing about AC units, so if any experts in this thread could help that would be great.
Basically, if the heating system works ok, does this just mean its a freon problem? Is there any indicator I could check to see what the freon level is?
If it is the filter, that's also above furnace in the sheet metal box which I wouldn't be able to access.
Is there anything I can do to diagnose the problem before calling a technician?

P.S. Does anyone know any good technicians in the Ottawa area?
You should be able to access the filter - if not, then you have something wrong with the installation of your furnace. The filter is typically on the side of the furnace where the return air comes in near the floor.

Not sure how to diagnose it other than checking the filter. But it doesn't sound like it's working right because you have lots of airflow. So it must mean you're low on refrigerant.
If you like my post, please upvote! :)
Putting people and solutions together since 1995
Need quick advice? Email me at RFDfanOttawa@gmail.com
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1603 posts
236 upvotes
nighthawk26 wrote:
May 27th, 2010 12:22 am
Could be a setting on your stat. Some can be configured to overshoot. Trick would be to turn it half or a degree up and if it shuts off youre good. Youcan either then set it half or a degree higher than you really want, or figure out how to get in the menu and adjust it.
When I turn it up, it does shut off. But then once the inside temp. gets to the new setting, it runs continuously at the new temp.
Sep 30, 2006
44 posts
Anyone can recommend a good contractor in the KW area. Looking to get the A/C for our new house.
house is about 3500 sq, two stories, furnace is Trane XB95??
Any recommendation for an A/C.
Please let me know your deal and who you recommend. or don't recommend in the KW area.... thanks,
I'm moving in mid-June 2010

thank you in advance
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
Hello Guys !

I have a little bit of a problem here with my central air conditioning.

The outside unit which brings the air inside the house isn't working; the fan is not spinning at all. I'm assuming it's broken and needs to be replaced, or maybe not ? My house is around 30 years old and I have no idea when the last time this unit was checked, because when we moved in we didn't ask the previous owners. The unit is Carrier.

Can somebody recommend a good contractor or a company which could diagnose the problem and tell me what to do ? replace ? repair ? Mississauga area.

I've already contacted Sears and requested free in-home estimate.

It's really hard to be without any air conditioning in the house, especially with these record braking temperatures ! 31C ! :razz: I had to sleep in the basement for god sakes ! because it was so damn hot during the night !

Thank you very much !
Deal Addict
Jan 28, 2007
1603 posts
236 upvotes
Demonoid wrote:
May 27th, 2010 2:54 pm
Hello Guys !

I have a little bit of a problem here with my central air conditioning.

The outside unit which brings the air inside the house isn't working; the fan is not spinning at all. I'm assuming it's broken and needs to be replaced, or maybe not ? My house is around 30 years old and I have no idea when the last time this unit was checked, because when we moved in we didn't ask the previous owners. The unit is Carrier.

Can somebody recommend a good contractor or a company which could diagnose the problem and tell me what to do ? replace ? repair ? Mississauga area.

I've already contacted Sears and requested free in-home estimate.

It's really hard to be without any air conditioning in the house, especially with these record braking temperatures ! 31C ! :razz: I had to sleep in the basement for god sakes ! because it was so damn hot during the night !

Thank you very much !
Can you hear the unit on, and trying to spin?

If yes, then spin the blades by hand and make sure they're not seized, or a little rusty from the winter.

It's happened to me before, spun the blades by hand, and didn't have a problem with it again.
Jan 4, 2009
674 posts
23 upvotes
Mississauga
olp79 wrote:
May 27th, 2010 3:15 pm
Can you hear the unit on, and trying to spin?

If yes, then spin the blades by hand and make sure they're not seized, or a little rusty from the winter.

It's happened to me before, spun the blades by hand, and didn't have a problem with it again.
Unfortunately this did not help :( I tried spinning the blades with no luck, they stand still while AC is turn on. Actually, I've heard some noise coming from the unit while it was on; it's seems it's trying to spin, but it can't. I dunno, I guess it's too old already.
May 25, 2010
58 posts
2 upvotes
It's a good thing, so you know if you have a refrigerant leaks. Some air conditioners loose refrigerant during the Winter months from the service valves (Goodmans are notorious for this....). You don't want to run an air conditioner without refrigerant - it could lead to some costly repairs. Also, you want to ensure that it's clean: a clean air conditioner operates more efficiently. Plus, it's a good time to have a technician poke their head inside your furnace to ensure that it made it through the Winter OK, and that everything is clean inside there too.

Any way to correct this issue with the Goodman units?
Aug 6, 2008
11 posts
18 year old unit Keeprite AC is likely low on freon - coils icing up and temperature at 71f at the vents. I had it topped up 7 years ago, same symptoms.

In my quest for a serviceman (good luck in Mississauga this week) the sales guy who took my call said that due to regulations a full leak test is now required before they can top it up. Which is a 4 hour $600 service call OR I could replace it with a Lennox 13 seer all in for $2,800 (2,800 sq foot house)

Anyone else heard of this leak test requirement?

Thanks,
John.
Oh and service man avail who actually returns calls would be good too.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1464 posts
280 upvotes
Ontario
wildmac168 wrote:
May 27th, 2010 2:25 pm
Anyone can recommend a good contractor in the KW area. Looking to get the A/C for our new house.
house is about 3500 sq, two stories, furnace is Trane XB95??
Any recommendation for an A/C.
Please let me know your deal and who you recommend. or don't recommend in the KW area.... thanks,
I'm moving in mid-June 2010

thank you in advance
Send a PM to nighthawk26 on this board, he is in your area
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1464 posts
280 upvotes
Ontario
jdroflet wrote:
May 27th, 2010 7:19 pm
18 year old unit Keeprite AC is likely low on freon - coils icing up and temperature at 71f at the vents. I had it topped up 7 years ago, same symptoms.

In my quest for a serviceman (good luck in Mississauga this week) the sales guy who took my call said that due to regulations a full leak test is now required before they can top it up. Which is a 4 hour $600 service call OR I could replace it with a Lennox 13 seer all in for $2,800 (2,800 sq foot house)

Thanks,
John.
Yes it’s the law, the leak has to be fixed before they can recharge the unit, so you will have a hard time finding a licensed HVAC tech to top up your A/C without fixing the leak.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1828 posts
316 upvotes
Ottawa
jdroflet wrote:
May 27th, 2010 7:19 pm

Thanks,
John.
shoppingkart wrote:
May 27th, 2010 7:45 pm
Yes it’s the law, the leak has to be fixed before they can recharge the unit, so you will have a hard time finding a licensed HVAC tech to top up your A/C without fixing the leak.
I think 4 hours just to find a leak that is most likely at the service valves is a bit of highway robbery. Plus that fact that 4 hours = 4600.00 means they are charging $150.00/hr...

Too bad you guys are getting screwed so badly there...
If you like my post, please upvote! :)
Putting people and solutions together since 1995
Need quick advice? Email me at RFDfanOttawa@gmail.com