• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2019 2:05 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2928 posts
486 upvotes
da_guy2 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2011 9:49 pm
We just got three quotes on 2 tone 13 seer AC units. All three came in at ~$2500 +HST and we had good recommendations for all three companies so really I think its going to come down to the model they're installing

1) First quote was for a Bryant 113A, or a 123A for +$300. 10 Year Parts and 1 Year Labor. The person who gave us the quote explained that the advantage 123A is that is has a HI/LO sensor for the compressor, which should theoreticlly extend the life of the compressor. As well, it has some extra insulation which is meant to reduce noise.

2) Next was for a Lennox 13 SEER (to be honest I just realized that they didn't give us the exact model number). It also has a 10 year parts and 1 year labor warranty.

3) The last one was a Trane XR13-410A. IT has a 10 ear warrany for both parts and labor.

Just based on my gut feeling I'm leaing towards the Trane but I thought I'd see what you guys thought?

Thanks,
David

Def go for the Trane or Lennox never ever go with 3rd party like Bryant, just my 2cents
Jun 17, 2004
204 posts
22 upvotes
Burlington
valen wrote:
May 30th, 2011 11:06 pm
I'm moving in to a 2500 square foot home in a couple of weeks. It's was built in 2001 and is quite well insulated and airtight. It has a high efficiency Keeprite Furnace.
Upon doing the inspection there were a couple of issues.

1. There is a Fresh Air Line drilled into the side of the house. Not an HRV, it's just a 4 inch line with a downward facing vent on the outside of the house. The fresh air line runs straight into the return air duct in the basement, which runs the length of the house then into the furnace. The inspector recommended that I close off this line or have an HRV. He said fresh cold air like that running into the furnace can cause condensation within the furnace. Is an HRV really necessary, or am I ok with just sealing off this line?

2. In the same return air duct in the basement, the previous owner cut a hole and put a makeshift 'register' directly in the return duct. The inspector noted that the furnace would probably pull more air from the basement into the furnace rather than properly recirculate return air from the rest of the house when something like this is done. Thoughts?

Any recommendations on these 2 issues?
Just a friendly bump of my previous question. Any thoughts from those in the know?
RFD - You gotta spend money to make money :)
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
jebise wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2011 10:37 pm
Def go for the Trane or Lennox never ever go with 3rd party like Bryant, just my 2cents

You realize it's a Carrier right?

This is why I hate the Internet. Frustrates me with my job as I will have a customer say to me "i heard this.... ". THIS is the type of stuff they "hear" in the Internet. Don't want to sound harsh, but have to say it. If you don't know, DON'T SAY IT!
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
da_guy2 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2011 9:49 pm
We just got three quotes on 2 tone 13 seer AC units. All three came in at ~$2500 +HST and we had good recommendations for all three companies so really I think its going to come down to the model they're installing

1) First quote was for a Bryant 113A, or a 123A for +$300. 10 Year Parts and 1 Year Labor. The person who gave us the quote explained that the advantage 123A is that is has a HI/LO sensor for the compressor, which should theoreticlly extend the life of the compressor. As well, it has some extra insulation which is meant to reduce noise.

2) Next was for a Lennox 13 SEER (to be honest I just realized that they didn't give us the exact model number). It also has a 10 year parts and 1 year labor warranty.

3) The last one was a Trane XR13-410A. IT has a 10 ear warrany for both parts and labor.

Just based on my gut feeling I'm leaing towards the Trane but I thought I'd see what you guys thought?

Thanks,
David
I really feel you should get the model number of the Lennox. the ACX series is loud and is made in Mexico now. If it's the XC13, I'd likely go that way. However, with that pricing, I am not sure that would be the case. The Bryant stuff I BELIEVE crossed over to Carrier based on the differences you've mentioned are the ABB and the ACB. EXACT same units. As for the Trane, make sure you note where this warranty is coming from. As far as I KNOW at the moment there are no promos from them which means the warranty is coming from the company, NOT the manufacturer.
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2008
2928 posts
486 upvotes
nighthawk26 wrote:
Jun 2nd, 2011 11:00 pm
You realize it's a Carrier right?

This is why I hate the Internet. Frustrates me with my job as I will have a customer say to me "i heard this.... ". THIS is the type of stuff they "hear" in the Internet. Don't want to sound harsh, but have to say it. If you don't know, DON'T SAY IT!

Are you saying Carrier makes Bryant? and i guess you are because they do, but that does not make Bryant a best brand since it is low end. Just like buying a Ford won't get you a Lincoln even though Ford makes Lincoln.

I sure as hell am not a HVAC expert and don't do it for a living, I'm just voicing my opinion by saying shell out the little extra $$ and by a good AC, I did my research when choosing one for my home and thats it. People always say go with Trane and American Standard, Carrier is also a good brand but cant beat Trane and American Standard in my opinion.

I was told to avoid brands like Bryant by friends, family and even certain installers (are they wrong are they right, i don't really know) and the house next door has a "Concord" (f'ing thing is so noisy that i had to keep my window shut all summer long during the night or not sleep), so what i wanted to point out was you get what you pay for. Thats why i didn't go Bryant or any other brand, went with the American Standard Allegiance 13 (4A7A) and let me tell you its supper slient.

This brings me to my other point. Stouffville Home and Comfort did a fantastic job as far as i can tell, the 2 guys knew what to do and answered my many annoying questions. Good Work guys and Thanks goes to Bryan as well, i will write a full review after a few days.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
1812 posts
302 upvotes
Ottawa
jebise wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2011 9:28 pm
Are you saying Carrier makes Bryant? and i guess you are because they do, but that does not make Bryant a best brand since it is low end. Just like buying a Ford won't get you a Lincoln even though Ford makes Lincoln.

I sure as hell am not a HVAC expert and don't do it for a living, I'm just voicing my opinion by saying shell out the little extra $$ and by a good AC, I did my research when choosing one for my home and thats it. People always say go with Trane and American Standard, Carrier is also a good brand but cant beat Trane and American Standard in my opinion.

I was told to avoid brands like Bryant by friends, family and even certain installers (are they wrong are they right, i don't really know) and the house next door has a "Concord" (f'ing thing is so noisy that i had to keep my window shut all summer long during the night or not sleep), so what i wanted to point out was you get what you pay for. Thats why i didn't go Bryant or any other brand, went with the American Standard Allegiance 13 (4A7A) and let me tell you its supper slient.

This brings me to my other point. Stouffville Home and Comfort did a fantastic job as far as i can tell, the 2 guys knew what to do and answered my many annoying questions. Good Work guys and Thanks goes to Bryan as well, i will write a full review after a few days.

Yes, Carrier makes Bryan, as well as American Standard make Trane. And they are both of similar calibre quality-wise.
If you like my post, please upvote! :)
Putting people and solutions together since 1995
Need quick advice? Email me at RFDfanOttawa@gmail.com
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2008
1463 posts
280 upvotes
Ontario
jebise wrote:
Jun 3rd, 2011 9:28 pm

Bryant is just as high end as Carrier. Buying a Lincoln is still going to get you a Ford just with some nicer interior for premium price. :confused:

Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
shoppingkart wrote:
Jun 4th, 2011 12:14 pm

It's not even that. MODEL FOR MODEL, they are EXACTLY the same. EXACTLY!!!!!

THe car example is at least some finer details but bones being the same.

Other guy who I can't even be bothered to go back and see your username. Please stop talking! Really, you're digging the hole even further.

PS.

If you really want to be technical, Carrier doesn't make Bryant. United Technologies makes Bryant AND Carrier. Do you pay a premium, yes I BELIEVE you do a bit, but you pay more for Carrier TYPICALLY than Bryant.

Now.... that said... wait till the fall. All that will change. Complete lineup changes. Carrier will have some premium product that Bryant won't have, and so it should be like that. Also, all new heat exchangers. Carrier going to a 33" cabinet, and tube style exchangers. Hypocrites. I love it! They will also realign their AC line, Base models will be comfort, and so on. Carriers marketing machine continues on.
Jul 13, 2005
128 posts
4 upvotes
hi,

I was looking for a/c for a new home. We are working on 3 installs to get the best price. But I am a bit iffy on the model number and their seer rating. There are 3 homes 4000 sqft, 1400 sqft and 1000 sqft respectively

Here are the quotes

4 Ton - Bryant 116BNA04800 (16 Seer) - 2850 + tax :10 yr parts/compressor and 5 yrs Labor
1.5T - Keeprite N4a324 (13 Seer) - 1850 + tax : 10 yr parts/compressor and 2 yrs Labor
1.5T - Quiet Breeze OHQB13418 (13 Seer) - 1750 + tax (This is for a condo that requires the slim type of A/C that is installed in the Patio : 10 yr parts/compressor and 2 yrs Labor

HE265 - 200$ installed

Please comment if you have found a better deal or if the model # correspond to the proper seer.

Some say the Bryant is a 14.5 seer and some say it was a 16 seer.

Thanks !
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
kpsxtyone wrote:
Jun 6th, 2011 10:51 am
hi,

I was looking for a/c for a new home. We are working on 3 installs to get the best price. But I am a bit iffy on the model number and their seer rating. There are 3 homes 4000 sqft, 1400 sqft and 1000 sqft respectively

Here are the quotes

4 Ton - Bryant 116BNA04800 (16 Seer) - 2850 + tax :10 yr parts/compressor and 5 yrs Labor
1.5T - Keeprite N4a324 (13 Seer) - 1850 + tax : 10 yr parts/compressor and 2 yrs Labor
1.5T - Quiet Breeze OHQB13418 (13 Seer) - 1750 + tax (This is for a condo that requires the slim type of A/C that is installed in the Patio : 10 yr parts/compressor and 2 yrs Labor

HE265 - 200$ installed

Please comment if you have found a better deal or if the model # correspond to the proper seer.

Some say the Bryant is a 14.5 seer and some say it was a 16 seer.

Thanks !

Sure... the Bryant is a 14.6 SEER. The UP TO is for a system combination with the appropriate furnace. Typically a variable speed DC motor furnace which you do not have.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3421 posts
987 upvotes
Checked out our air conditioner unit outside and it looks like the fan is stuck. I've tried moving it to no avail. Not sure if it's a cleaning issue or some sort of locking mechanism.

Is taking this A/C apart myself recommended or should I call a technician.

My suspicion is worst case scenario, a new motor has to be installed.

How much would that cost with labour in Toronto?
What if it's just a cleaning issue? what are the costs for that?
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
148 upvotes
halcyon wrote:
Jun 7th, 2011 9:47 pm
Checked out our air conditioner unit outside and it looks like the fan is stuck. I've tried moving it to no avail. Not sure if it's a cleaning issue or some sort of locking mechanism.

Is taking this A/C apart myself recommended or should I call a technician.

My suspicion is worst case scenario, a new motor has to be installed.

How much would that cost with labour in Toronto?
What if it's just a cleaning issue? what are the costs for that?
How old is this AC?

I'm NOT a tech, but I've never heard of a motor being cleaned for an AC.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2003
3421 posts
987 upvotes
nighthawk26 wrote:
Jun 7th, 2011 11:27 pm
How old is this AC?

I'm NOT a tech, but I've never heard of a motor being cleaned for an AC.

Townhouse is about 5-6 years old so it's not an old unit.

And in terms of cleaning, I'm not meaning to take apart the motor into it's bare pieces to clean out but rather if it's somehow too dirty to spin properely (which is unlikely).

Any opinions about this (and particularly cost of repair) would be of great help.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2008
7552 posts
3742 upvotes
Toronto (Markham)
This is an age-old question, leave the furnace fan set to 'auto' or 'on' for AC? I prefer the setting to be on 'auto' for energy savings, but my upstairs gets so hot because the thermostat is on the main floor. I know leaving the fan set to 'on' will help circulate the air, but it's at the cost of higher energy bills and running the fan 24/7 and potentially reducing the life of the motor.

Any advice?

I know there is always the option of buying a professional series thermostat that has a fan setting of 'circ' as in circulating the air, but the thermostat costs $200. I don't get why this isn't a setting on lower-mid range thermostats!! It's simple programming!! The fan is not meant to run 24/7, and the auto doesn't circulate the air, balancing the temperature of all the rooms. What gives?
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 8, 2009
1208 posts
64 upvotes
On all the time in the AC season - makes your AC work less as well as increases dehumidification.

Edit: new fans ARE designed to be run all the time to promote balanced temperatures.

If you have a furnace with a DC motor then its hardly a cost at all. If you have an older furnace where the cost is higher then you have another reason to replace it don't you...
Usually there's a reason a company is "cheap". Value and cheap are different. Value means best product/service for the dollar spent. Cheap is just that. Cheap.