• Last Updated:
  • Apr 23rd, 2019 11:58 am
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14474 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Hi!

I have a Carrier Infinity ICS furnace and the labour required to remove and replace the blower fan is quite a lot thanks to the stupid design of the furnace itself. Now I ask, since I am under warranty (5 year parts and I'm on the 4th year) would I be better off paying the labour costs to Highlife Heating & Cooling or just contact a trusted professional that would most likely just replace the thermistor on the GE ECM motor instead. The people that are coming in from Highlife are just inexperienced and imo stupid. One of the servicemen even asked me how to operate the thermostat which is a basic model and he had troubles putting on the door of the furnace. Now from my perspective, he should be doing this with no issues as he is dealing with furnaces 24/7. He had asked me to leave the basement because he felt better working in privacy and when I discovered that he had not even removed the blower motor or the connectors and just check the voltages on the board I kept it to myself that his diagnostics was absurd. He claims that the WHOLE motor needs to be replaced when I'm sure that it's just the control module that needs replacing.

I ask you, am I being scammed or is it just an inexperienced unhelpful serviceman?

Would my best choice be to just call a better serviceman at the cost of parts as well or will the pure cost of parts kill me?

I have the fault code 41.

Oh! And he promised to come anywhere from 9am-12pm. He came at 5pm!!!!! WTF.

The serviceman's name is Niru and he drives a new unbranded Nissan white van. The back is unorganized and it's filled with so much stuff that's just piled on each other.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8981 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Sounds to me like you got a new guy. He probably recently started and like a lot of jobs got thrown into it without any real training on all the different models of furnaces. I would call the company and tell them you are very unhappy with the service rep they sent out and he seems very inexperienced. Tell them you would like their company to service your furnace however unless they agree to send out a different well experienced tech then you will b calling the competition.

wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2012 1:13 am
Hi!

I have a Carrier Infinity ICS furnace and the labour required to remove and replace the blower fan is quite a lot thanks to the stupid design of the furnace itself. Now I ask, since I am under warranty (5 year parts and I'm on the 4th year) would I be better off paying the labour costs to Highlife Heating & Cooling or just contact a trusted professional that would most likely just replace the thermistor on the GE ECM motor instead. The people that are coming in from Highlife are just inexperienced and imo stupid. One of the servicemen even asked me how to operate the thermostat which is a basic model and he had troubles putting on the door of the furnace. Now from my perspective, he should be doing this with no issues as he is dealing with furnaces 24/7. He had asked me to leave the basement because he felt better working in privacy and when I discovered that he had not even removed the blower motor or the connectors and just check the voltages on the board I kept it to myself that his diagnostics was absurd. He claims that the WHOLE motor needs to be replaced when I'm sure that it's just the control module that needs replacing.

I ask you, am I being scammed or is it just an inexperienced unhelpful serviceman?

Would my best choice be to just call a better serviceman at the cost of parts as well or will the pure cost of parts kill me?

The serviceman's name is Niru and he drives a new unbranded Nissan white van. The back is unorganized and it's filled with so much stuff that's just piled on each other.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Deal Fanatic
Mar 13, 2004
8981 posts
1381 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
It kinda sounds like the coils could be freezing and that's why your not getting any cooling.

I would do the simple things first. The unit outside get it cleaned, over time it will get stuck with dirt and other junk from outside and cannot cooler properly so this should be cleaned once every year or 2 to make sure its working properly & efficiently. Check the air filter on the furnace if its dirty or has not been replaced in a while replace it. If its dirty it is properly restricting airflow and because of this your coils are freezing.

issy wrote:
Aug 5th, 2012 6:21 pm
Hi Guys

My a/c for the last 2 weeks is acting strange..
one week ago , it stop working and only the fan was working...no cold air..
we off the a/c unit and called for our a/c guy to come and check it out..
the next morning, we on the a/c and yes........it began to work fine..house was cooling..

2 days ago , the same problem...

any idea whats going on?

thanks
0_o
<_<
>_>
Mar 15, 2009
2 posts
Toronto
Hi, I need a new furnace and A/C unit. I have 2 systems in mind
1) the Trane 2 Stage XV-95 80KBTU furnace with a XR15 2.5 tonnes A/C or
2) York modulating YP9C furnace and LX A/C

Trane is slightly more expensive by $900 dollars. Suggestions?
May 24, 2003
931 posts
42 upvotes
It could be anything at all.
sickcars wrote:
Aug 9th, 2012 8:45 am
It kinda sounds like the coils could be freezing and that's why your not getting any cooling.

I would do the simple things first. The unit outside get it cleaned, over time it will get stuck with dirt and other junk from outside and cannot cooler properly so this should be cleaned once every year or 2 to make sure its working properly & efficiently. Check the air filter on the furnace if its dirty or has not been replaced in a while replace it. If its dirty it is properly restricting airflow and because of this your coils are freezing.
May 24, 2003
931 posts
42 upvotes
Why would you not want the blower motor replace under warranty? Its a 30 minute job. Hopefully he used a simulator to simulate the motor to see if its the board or motor as being a dc motor, they can be tricky to diagnose. PM me if you want as I work for a Carrier dealer and service these on a regular basis.
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2012 1:13 am
Hi!

Oct 25, 2010
498 posts
57 upvotes
Limoges_shopper: Sent you a quick PM, not sure if you've noticed, hoping you can help me with a question.
Aug 29, 2009
1 posts
Toronto
Here's my problem. I would like to find someone who can do a whole system analysis of the HVAC system in my house. I have a relatively new high efficiency furnace and a pretty good air conditioner yet I believe that after the hardware there are serious efficiency issues. How can I make the entire system efficient. So far I can't find anyone or company that seems interested in doing this. All they want to do is install a new furnace/AC.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14474 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
Munchos wrote:
Aug 9th, 2012 2:33 pm
Why would you not want the blower motor replace under warranty? Its a 30 minute job. Hopefully he used a simulator to simulate the motor to see if its the board or motor as being a dc motor, they can be tricky to diagnose. PM me if you want as I work for a Carrier dealer and service these on a regular basis.
He came back today and finally figured out how to take out the blower motor. Maybe he was in a rush yesterday since he was at my home at 5pm which was pretty late I guess.

But he did take the whole blower motor assembly so that he could diagnose/fix it because he didn't have the proper allen key to unscrew the control board.

Now he has my blower motor assembly. I can only wait and hope to have him come back soon to reinstall it. I've been quoted by 2 different HVAC companies that my particular problem should be fixed at around $150 ($200 at the very max) incl. labour. They would provide the appropriate parts to fix my motor. Is this the right price?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
1074 posts
122 upvotes
Markham
It depends on how long it takes. You will most probably have to pay for his time to go pick up the replacement part. $160-$200 including lab and parts does not sound feasible.
Providing Customers with the highest quality Home Comfort Products, and service! http://www.homestars.com/companies/2781 ... ly-med-air
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14474 posts
2050 upvotes
Toronto
bririp wrote:
Aug 10th, 2012 7:28 am
It depends on how long it takes. You will most probably have to pay for his time to go pick up the replacement part. $160-$200 including lab and parts does not sound feasible.
It's probably a matter of soldering a new thermistor to the control module of the motor though. That part costs $2. If they don't fix it by repairing that particular part then yes it would cost a lot more.

It's ridiculous IMO how many people in this field refuse to solder a new thermistor (very accessable piece in the circuit board) when it costs the customer a lot less. I mean sure you can make the labour costs a lot more but making the customer buy the whole control unit adds a ridiculous amount of overhead to the costs.

The two companies I called seemed very familiar with my situation so that's why I was considering their services for that fact.
Jul 22, 2012
16 posts
London
i would like to know how many btu gas furnace ishould buy to heat 1400 sq feet high vaulted ceilings and crawl space , it is very well insulated ..r26 in the walls and the ceilings are r60 plus , wood clad wrapped in 2 inches of pink styrofoam all new windows and faces west looking over lake huron.... the winds are quite severe in the winter but i have been heating it with a couple of 6 foot baseboards ...... it seems to hold the heat very well ... would a 40.000 btu high eff gas converted to propane be sufficient or would i be better going to a 60.000 btu??
May 24, 2003
931 posts
42 upvotes
If you know all the answers why don't you fix it yourself? I don't bother fixing control boards as I am not going to waste my time trying to figure out what part on the control needs to be replaced, order the part in, put it on only to find it blew something else as well. Time is money in this industry and who is going to pay someone to come out a second time for the same issue? You have a 5 year warranty on the furnace, and like I said, it will be probably 1.5 hours to fix the furnace including diagnostic time. BTW, he didn't need an allen key for anything to do with replacing the motor, unless he has opened up the dc control aspect of the motor module, which is a waste of time as he can just order the whole motor under warranty. I have been to many Carrier training seminars and they recommend replacing the whole motor instead of pieces of the module because nobody wants callbacks for the same issue.

I used to work with someone who would figure out exactly what part of the control board was faulty, and diagnose that for the customers. How many people do you think bitched about how much labor was involved in this after getting their bill? For the cost of the majority of control boards, it just doesn't make sense to fix them at the hourly rates Hvac company's have to charge to make a profit.
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2012 12:59 pm
It's probably a matter of soldering a new thermistor to the control module of the motor though. That part costs $2. If they don't fix it by repairing that particular part then yes it would cost a lot more.

It's ridiculous IMO how many people in this field refuse to solder a new thermistor (very accessable piece in the circuit board) when it costs the customer a lot less. I mean sure you can make the labour costs a lot more but making the customer buy the whole control unit adds a ridiculous amount of overhead to the costs.

The two companies I called seemed very familiar with my situation so that's why I was considering their services for that fact.
May 24, 2003
931 posts
42 upvotes
uncleal92 wrote:
Aug 10th, 2012 3:01 pm
i would like to know how many btu gas furnace ishould buy to heat 1400 sq feet high vaulted ceilings and crawl space , it is very well insulated ..r26 in the walls and the ceilings are r60 plus , wood clad wrapped in 2 inches of pink styrofoam all new windows and faces west looking over lake huron.... the winds are quite severe in the winter but i have been heating it with a couple of 6 foot baseboards ...... it seems to hold the heat very well ... would a 40.000 btu high eff gas converted to propane be sufficient or would i be better going to a 60.000 btu??
I would go with a 60 000 btu. You will probably get people to tell you to pay for a heat loss load calculation but based on my real world experience, you will be fine with a 60 000 based on what you wrote. I rarely see 40 000 btu furnaces in the real world and when I do I curse the people who designed them as they are very tight to work in.
Jan 17, 2010
733 posts
243 upvotes
Just saw this thread and was wondering if you have any help on a solution to fan-coil-cold-pipe-condensation-1212699/

Long story short. a pipe wasnt insulated and found out by cutting a hole in the drywall below it as the drywall started to look wet. THe property manager of the condo hired a company and they said the only way to solve it is to install a drip pan underneath the pipe and to have it drain where my AC unit is in my condo. They said they have to drop the dry wall covering it 3 inches to install this drip pan. They tried to insulate it but its just holding the water. and in my opinion the inuslation job isnt a great one. Is a drip pan the only way to solve this condensation problem?