Home & Garden

Ask me anything about HVAC heating air conditioning air quality control

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 9th, 2019 3:28 pm
Apr 1, 2009
167 posts
26 upvotes
GTA
I'm looking to replace both the furnace and the AC and get a talkless water heater. I got 2 offers (from 2 contractors, so far and I'm expecting more) as follows:
  • Offer 1:
    • Furnace: American Standard Gold ZM 95 Comfort-R Variable Speed (listed as up to 97% AFUE)
    • AC: American Standard Gold XI
    • Water heater: Naveen NR-210A
  • Offer 2:
    • Furnace: York TM9V Variable Speed (listed as up to 96% AFUE)
    • AC: York YCJF024
    • Water heater: Naveen NR-210A (This contractor also recommended the NR-210)
My questions are for a ~1,650 sq. ft. 2 storey house:
  • Price aside, which offer would be better for ~1,650 sq.ft. 2 storey house?
  • Are both eliglible for the same rabates? (I got rabates from one of the contractors, the other is yet to send them to me)
  • York warranty (similar question as lggbohemia above ): the contractor said that York has both 10 year parts and labour warranty included, but the York website lists only the parts warranty?
  • Water heater: Anyone with experience/comments with Naveen water heaters?
  • Water heater: Anyone with experience/comments with Naveen NR-210A in particular? I didn't really grasp the benefit of having a small tank with tankless water heater... :(
Any comments/suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5908 posts
1852 upvotes
GTA
Olbi wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 10:30 am
I'm looking to replace both the furnace and the AC and get a talkless water heater. I got 2 offers (from 2 contractors, so far and I'm expecting more) as follows:
  • Offer 1:
    • Furnace: American Standard Gold ZM 95 Comfort-R Variable Speed (listed as up to 97% AFUE)
  • Offer 2:
  • Are both eliglible for the same rabates? (I got rabates from one of the contractors, the other is yet to send them to me)
  • York warranty (similar question as lggbohemia above ): the contractor said that York has both 10 year parts and labour warranty included, but the York website lists only the parts warranty?
  • Water heater: Anyone with experience/comments with Naveen NR-210A in particular? I didn't really grasp the benefit of having a small tank with tankless water heater... :(
Having a small tank with the tankless somewhat eliminates the cold water sandwich (delay when you turn the hot water on after using it for a while so you get hot water and then get some cold water as there is lag for the hot water tank to start).

For me personally the cold water sandwich and the initial delay in hot water is not a big deal. If this is of concern for you then you can add the small tank system, to me it adds a layer of inefficiency.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1811 posts
502 upvotes
Woodbridge
Navien is a reputable company . Tankless WH are very sensitive to installation . A small deviation from the correct installation will result guaranted issues in very near future .
I will chose AS over York any given day as parts are easily avlbl than York .
Olbi wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 10:30 am
  • Offer 1:
  • Offer 2:
Apr 1, 2009
167 posts
26 upvotes
GTA
Thank you, porksoda and newlyborn!

Any comments on the difference in the AFUE and the York warranty?

Another question: the third contractor I'm talking with right now tried to convince me to "upgrade" to a 5" thick furnace filter - is there a benefit having thicker filter?

For the tankless water heater: how long you wait to get hot water: 1 minute? 5 minutes?

Thanks!
Deal Fanatic
May 17, 2006
5908 posts
1852 upvotes
GTA
Olbi wrote:
Aug 14th, 2013 7:49 pm
Thank you, porksoda and newlyborn!

Any comments on the difference in the AFUE and the York warranty?

Another question: the third contractor I'm talking with right now tried to convince me to "upgrade" to a 5" thick furnace filter - is there a benefit having thicker filter?

For the tankless water heater: how long you wait to get hot water: 1 minute? 5 minutes?

Thanks!
I would stick with American Standard.
The GOLD XI Ac which seer?
As for hot water tank i would look into the rinnai models. You should be able to get a rinnai for 2500 installed (9.4gpm or the condensing model for couple hundred more).

As for waiting for hot water it depends how far the water has to travel, for me in the farthest part of the house (hot water tank is at the opposite corner) it takes < 60 in winter.

I would also opt out of getting a hot water tank with the tank, if wait time is not an issue i would get a rinnai non condensing model.

5" Filter will add more surface area and wont restrict airflow with the filter (you can get aggressive air filter without restricting air flow).

It's not a huge item, but lot of people buy into it. I would not use filters greater then MERV 8 in 1" but with 5" you can jump ahead to MERV 10 or even higher.
Apr 1, 2009
167 posts
26 upvotes
GTA
Thank you!

One minute wait is not an issue at all! I'll look at the rinnai water heaters as well. Thanks! :)
Feb 9, 2006
157 posts
40 upvotes
Since other threads have been started and it's such a common problem, I thought I'd post this pic.

[IMG]http://imageshack.us/a/img708/1969/y8a9.jpg[/IMG]

This what happens when you run your furnace with no filter at all, which will give the same effect as an extremely dirty filter. Obviously very little air is getting through and the unit was freezing up.
Jan 6, 2007
147 posts
13 upvotes
L
Joist space is used for return air duct. There is advantage to install metal ducts in that space? Maybe less friction and better airflow?
Jan 27, 2009
244 posts
9 upvotes
Pointe-claire
Received a quote from Sears to replace 20 year old Heat Pump:

Kenmore 77392
2.5 ton
14.5 SEER
10 year warranty
$4,820 installed

Thoughts?

I also have an aging gas furnace, however, I won't change for the time being as its still working fine.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2003
3559 posts
318 upvotes
My ac uit just died. Had a tech come in and he said it was the compressor that failed. He quoted me an amercian standard 2 ton unit. Sounds like american standard is a pretty solid brand. Thoughts?

I have 1200sqft (1800sqft inc basement). Its an old house with no wall insulation but recently added attic insulation. Is the 2ton enough?

Oh and the bottom of my furnace had signs of corrosion. I suspect its because the condenser hode was kinked and the water was leaking inside the unit down to the bottom. The inside of the blower also had a bit of corrosion:
[IMG]http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/2105/yzf0.jpg[/IMG]

I also repaced the compressor motor in the furnace 2 years ago. Im wondering if its worth just doing both units now.

Both ac and furnace are luxaire and only 8 years old! Cant believe im having issues already.
Feb 25, 2004
572 posts
152 upvotes
Longueuil
I bought my bungalow last year. So I have a main floor and a basement, electric heating. I noticed in the basement ceiling, about 6 feet from the wall, a motorized damper. It is connected to an outside wall air intake. I also have in the middle of the house (main floor) a "relative humidity control" unit. Basically it looks like a mechanical thermostats with humidity % instead of °C/F. I noticed that when humidity is higher than what I selected, the bathroom ceiling fan is enabled so that air is pushed outside and the damper in the basement is opened to allow fresh air to come in. That is my understanding from what I could see, does it make sense? The basement intake has no fan, is the bathroom fan in the attic enough to create pressure to have air sucked in in the basement?

From what I could see last winter (my first winter at the house), I had some condensation in windows so I think humidity is too high. I bought an hygrometer to better know the exact humidity level this year. I also went in the attic this summer and optimized the duct for the bathroom fan. It was a plastic duct and some birds made a nest in it so I replaced it with a semi-flexible metal one (the previous owners added a grill to prevent birds from coming in again but they didn't clean the duct... Good thing there was no dead bird inside!). Do you think that will be enough to reduce the humidity level? Is there something I could do to optimize this (without installing an HVR)?

My first visit at the home was in the winter and there was no condensation in the windows. I haven't changed anything so I am not sure why there was some last winter (I already read should be done to minimize humidity in the house and I already do that). The previous owners were older though and I think they kept the temperature higher than I do. Condensation is not major but I don't believe there should be that much (basically alsmost every morning in the winter I have to remove it at the bottom of the windows, maybe 4-5 cm high in the coldest days, it will be gone later in the day if I don't remove it but I don't want to get mold there).

Thanks
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Dec 19, 2006
293 posts
16 upvotes
Hi,

I am researching options for installing a Rinnai R75LSi or R94LSi Tankless water heater. I am in a situation where space is a premium for venting from the basement. The location that I am looking at has a dryer vent already located there, and I need to consider future proofing for a high efficiency furnace and possibly a bathroom vent (more questions on this soon). I see that the old tank that I have has an exhaust that vents to the roof. I'm wondering if I can reuse this vent for a tankless water heater. Are there any installation references for this online? I'd like to know what the options are before discussion with an installer (increasing my knowledge).
Dec 6, 2009
201 posts
10 upvotes
London
Hi this is a great thread; I'm living in a 1700 sq semi and looking into upgrading my furnace & AC as my house is approaching 18 years old.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
1811 posts
502 upvotes
Woodbridge
1. 2 ton is enough
2. Ame Stndrd is a good brand .
3. Don't worry too much about the corrosion on furnace . By the time it will east up all your furnace it would have been replaced anyways . It was probably a result of clogged AC drain or may be drum type Hum leaked .
Mint wrote:
Aug 27th, 2013 10:00 pm
My ac uit just died. Had a tech come in and he said it was the compressor that failed. He quoted me an amercian standard 2 ton unit. Sounds like american standard is a pretty solid brand. Thoughts?

I have 1200sqft (1800sqft inc basement). Its an old house with no wall insulation but recently added attic insulation. Is the 2ton enough?

Oh and the bottom of my furnace had signs of corrosion. I suspect its because the condenser hode was kinked and the water was leaking inside the unit down to the bottom. The inside of the blower also had a bit of corrosion:

I also repaced the compressor motor in the furnace 2 years ago. Im wondering if its worth just doing both units now.

Both ac and furnace are luxaire and only 8 years old! Cant believe im having issues already.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)