Home & Garden

Ask me anything about HVAC heating air conditioning air quality control

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2024 3:29 pm
Jun 4, 2008
505 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
Looking for an air purifier for my home office, small room approx 10x11, must be reasonably cheap (have not had a purifier before, don't need it for any other reason than wanting to try it and see if it makes the air cleaner for study sessions), and must be reasonably quiet so not to bother me that much.

any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2007
1794 posts
205 upvotes
NeverNeverLand
nighthawk26 wrote: weird.... nope... don't know anyone.
umm...ya, maybe I should've read the rest of the forum first....Thanks.
Apr 6, 2004
476 posts
66 upvotes
I just moved into a new home. The builder installed a Lennox furnace, but I haven't checked the model. I'm looking to install a humidifier now for the winter and then HRV or ERV and AC in the spring.
I've read that the Honeywell Vision IAQ Pro thermostat will be able to control everything. Is that right? Any other thermostat recommendations?

Canadian Tire has the Honeywell HE360A humidifier on sale for $170 this week, which seems like a really good price. Any ideas what an HVAC installer would charge to install it and the thermostat (bought from the installer)? Or would it make more sense to get everything from the installer directly?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
The Honeywell humidifier looks exactly like my Lennox Healthy Climate. I use $12 Wait 5000 replacement pads from Home Depot rather than the $25-30 Lennox filters, they're exactly the same.

The Vision Pro IAQ does control everything. Everything is hooked up to the EIM in the basement and then 3 wires to the thermostat. Since the thermostat is powered by the 24VAC wire from the furnace, no batteries are required. It's also one of the few thermostats available that will control the humidifier by the outside temperature and adjust for window condensation.

Humidifiers are generally around $350-400 installed. The Honeywell Vision Pro is considered to be a pro-install only thermostat. Price is around $250 for the unit itself or up to $700 installed. :!: It's really not that difficult to install... If you've got the money, get a Honeywell Prestige HD Deluxe ($997 MSRP parts only).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6795 posts
2504 upvotes
YEG
Tiberius wrote: Yep - Northwest GTA... are the prices good or bad for people in the GTA? :lol:

I'm only worried about the noise because the unit is likely to be on the wall right by the head of my bed (raised bungalow... so I'm not sleeping up on a second floor away from the unit). I doubt that siding+plywood+insulation will eliminate all the noise... so...
I can tell you're in the GTA since the prices you were quoted are $1000-1200 less than what I can get in Alberta. There's an HVAC company at my Costco offering the Lennox 13ACX for $3699. Not exactly a deal and very few details on what that includes.

The siding won't eliminate all the noise, but it'll reduce it a lot. I have my AC right outside my kitchen so I can hear the compressor spin up and the fan hum. It's loud, but I don't sleep next to it...
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1089 posts
104 upvotes
nighthawk.
What the differences between the xc14 and 14acx lennox a/c usits.
Price difference is about $500. Is it worth it.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
rubeus wrote: nighthawk.
What the differences between the xc14 and 14acx lennox a/c usits.
Price difference is about $500. Is it worth it.
XC14

Full metal cabinet and much sturdier (also bigger)
MUCH quieter 70db vs 76 DB. This is VERY significant
Higher efficiency output

Is it worth it is a matter of personal situation. If it will be in a space where you or your neighbour wuold appreciate a much quieter unit yes. If yuo have kids and or cut the grass around it and might be prone to banging into it, the metal case will protect the condensor a lot better. Efficiency savings is negligable other than a spec so no HUGE benefit there.

Hope that helps.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1089 posts
104 upvotes
thanks for the reply,
Also what would you recoomend putting it on brackets (current A/C) or
on the ground.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
If it can go on the ground, keep it there. No need to drill into foundation unless you haev to.

Have too = too much of a slope for where it is. Don't want it more than 4 degrees sloped.

OR

If you have some reason for whatever you want it off the ground, but there is no benefit to doing so from a reliability, or performance position. Only reason people ask this nowadays is becasue they see new homes with them like that, and the only reason they see that is that builders often leaev huge gradings to furnter make sure water is moved away from house and foundation, AND becasue they leave before final grading or sodding has been done.
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2002
1089 posts
104 upvotes
Thanks for all the help.
Another question.

If I get a multi stage or modulating furnace like the lennox g71.
I want to make sure they setup/connect the thermostat correctly.

I currently have the honeywell 8500 touchscreen thermostat.

Will this suffice with this furnace. or do I need to replace it to get the full
use of the multistage or modulating functionality of the furnace.

Will I need more wires pulled to the thermostat location?

Just want to make sure they are going to install correctly.

Thanks in advance
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
rubeus wrote: Thanks for all the help.
Another question.

If I get a multi stage or modulating furnace like the lennox g71.
I want to make sure they setup/connect the thermostat correctly.

I currently have the honeywell 8500 touchscreen thermostat.

Will this suffice with this furnace. or do I need to replace it to get the full
use of the multistage or modulating functionality of the furnace.

Will I need more wires pulled to the thermostat location?

Just want to make sure they are going to install correctly.

Thanks in advance

A G71 needs a 2 stage stat; Period. Depends what you want it to run, but often you need at least 5 wires.

As per another post you have. I am (Aire One) a York Dealer.

That said a YP9C does NOT need a multi stage stat as the control board runs all the modulation. Also to note, the G71 is not "true" modulating, in the sense that it's not smart where it can control perfectly. Still relies on stages. The YP9C is a better modulating furnace. The only other unit that will do this well is the modulating Carrier as it has the proper motor that can get all the true benefits.
Oct 16, 2007
50 posts
I am looking at installing a high eff furnace. The plumber wants to add a fresh air vent. He says it is required by code in alberta. This is a 1970 house that is being upgraded btw. is it required to bring it up to the new code when you are upgrading. To me it doesn't make sense to add it. But I just want to know what the code is before I get other quotes for the job.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
the_game22 wrote: I am looking at installing a high eff furnace. The plumber wants to add a fresh air vent. He says it is required by code in alberta. This is a 1970 house that is being upgraded btw. is it required to bring it up to the new code when you are upgrading. To me it doesn't make sense to add it. But I just want to know what the code is before I get other quotes for the job.
Anything you do to something that exists in terms of a reno needs to be up to code once it's changed.

I'm not sure really what you're asking as at one point you're saying a furnace then talking about a plumber?!

As for a "fresh air vent" if it is a high furnace, it needs to have an intake pipe and exhaust anyways. If the furnace room is being closed off then it will need to be vented as well but not necessarily to the outside. You can also use venting into the hell or outside room just with a hole in the wall covered by a grill.
Oct 16, 2007
50 posts
Well that was from a plumbing & heating outfit, I should have said HVAC tech I guess I'm showing my limited knowledge.
But by Fresh air vent I am refering to an intake that would bring outside air and connect to the cold air return duct on the furnace. (To the blower) not for combustion air as that will be run to the furnace as well. By bringing in outside cold air, are you not making your house cooler? Also would you feel any drafts through the ductwork when the furnace is not running?
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2007
1782 posts
335 upvotes
Toronto & north …
I have a flow-through Honeywell humidifier from Home Depot on the duct by my furnace. Where is the best place in the GTA to get the replacement element (that gets clogged up by hard-water deposits) for a decent price? Thanks.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
the_game22 wrote: Well that was from a plumbing & heating outfit, I should have said HVAC tech I guess I'm showing my limited knowledge.
But by Fresh air vent I am refering to an intake that would bring outside air and connect to the cold air return duct on the furnace. (To the blower) not for combustion air as that will be run to the furnace as well. By bringing in outside cold air, are you not making your house cooler? Also would you feel any drafts through the ductwork when the furnace is not running?
Haha... no thats not code, none that I know of anyways. Sounds like a poor mans HRV. More like the V but with a massive heat loss. Get another opinion. Maybe there is some weird situation going on in your place.
Banned
Jun 19, 2006
9349 posts
57 upvotes
Any home furnaces or thermostats that have Ethernet interfaces out yet, and don't cost a fortune or require me to become involved with industrial controls and PLCs?

My problem: I keep a very unpredictable schedule, and don't want to keep a thermostat turned up high (low) when I'm not around, but like to walk into a house that's properly heated/cooled when I do get home. So would like something I can access through the Internet to adjust the settings while I'm on my way home.

And I'd like just to be able to monitor utilization as well.
"I worked with several H1B employees that were/are borderline ********. One of them wanted to spray an electrical patch panel with solvent to see if it would make the “network go faster”". <--- lol (source)
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2006
1867 posts
149 upvotes
pitz wrote: Any home furnaces or thermostats that have Ethernet interfaces out yet, and don't cost a fortune or require me to become involved with industrial controls and PLCs?

My problem: I keep a very unpredictable schedule, and don't want to keep a thermostat turned up high (low) when I'm not around, but like to walk into a house that's properly heated/cooled when I do get home. So would like something I can access through the Internet to adjust the settings while I'm on my way home.

And I'd like just to be able to monitor utilization as well.
There are thermostats that allow for that already, yes.

On the furnace side of things....everything I'm hearing.. look to York to be the first, and likely soon. Full control over internet to come.
Aug 25, 2005
717 posts
105 upvotes
Mississauga
I have quotes from two companies --both same price -- who should I go with:
1) Aire One
2) Active temp Control
Anyone deal with these or have problems with using them?
Thanks