Home & Garden

Ask me anything about HVAC heating air conditioning air quality control

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 18th, 2024 3:29 pm
Jun 15, 2016
385 posts
242 upvotes
vrscdx wrote: Brand doesn't matter as much as who is installing it. I would look for a company that does a heat load calculation so you get the right sized equipment. As for brands I like Lennox/Armstrong Air, and Carrier/Bryant/ICP (Tempstar, Keeprite, Payne). Neutral brands are Trane/American Standard, and Goodman, I would stay away from York.

Some brands get a bad rep because they sell to anyone, so you have terrible installation practises that make the brand seem bad. This is why installation is key, and I would only buy from a company that has good installation practises. Ask them when they commission the furnace if they measure temp rise, use a combustion analyzer, etc. If they setup the A/C do they use superheat (txv) or sub cooling (piston) or do they just charge it and hope its "good".
sickcars wrote: Brands are all similar what you need to look at is the models and features each furnace comes with. So you need to make sure its a 2 Stage Furnace, its comes with a Variable speed motor. Also you would also want good warranty, so something like 10 years parts/service would be great but also ask for the fine details on the warranty. Some companies require you to have the furnace serviced by the same company every year to keep the warranty. Also consider getting a new AC at the same time since you should save some money since they are working in there anyways.

Personally I dont like York as I have had bad luck in the past with them. I hear Amana, Trane, Napoleon, American Standard are good quality units.

There are probably other things to look for also that others can suggest.
Comparing Lennox to Armstrong Air, is there a big difference.

Also it seems like every manufacture is offering 5 year part labour and 10 year parts.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13840 posts
5545 upvotes
Ontario
Find out what the models of each furnace are. I have heard good things about both companies.

We have an AC unit thats made from Armstrong thats got to be at least 25-30 years old and its still working without any issues. Mind you its an old unit and was probably made better then the ones today lol.
Mikenello wrote: Comparing Lennox to Armstrong Air, is there a big difference.

Also it seems like every manufacture is offering 5 year part labour and 10 year parts.
Jun 23, 2019
662 posts
523 upvotes
Mikenello wrote: Comparing Lennox to Armstrong Air, is there a big difference.

Lennox and Armstrong Air are 99% the same, if I had the choice I would go Armstrong Air to save some $$$.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2010
1224 posts
580 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I have Trane/American standard electronic cleaner and would like to convert to regular medium. Can anyone point me which unit I should buy, rails on electronic box are riveted and pain to drill to to convert.
Electronic cleaner cells require very frequent cleaning, otherwise they are inefficient on this model.
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
Possum77 wrote: I have Trane/American standard electronic cleaner and would like to convert to regular medium. Can anyone point me which unit I should buy, rails on electronic box are riveted and pain to drill to to convert.
Electronic cleaner cells require very frequent cleaning, otherwise they are inefficient on this model.
Easiest is to pull out everything inside ie. cores, pre filters then just slid in a pleated filter. Most common sizes would be 16x25x4, 20x25x5 but if you can post a picture of the make and model of what you have now we can help tell you what size works for you.
Aug 14, 2006
215 posts
15 upvotes
Hi,
I'm jumping in on this thread.

I purchased my first home and it has a 23-year-old furnace/AC that I would like replaced. I have an ecobee thermostat that can do 2 stage heating so I was thinking of getting at least a 2 stage furnace. The upgraded heat modulation furnaces seem overkill, is there a reason to get one instead of a 2 stage?

I have been trying to get quotes, but most places want to come in and I can't do that yet as I have not closed on the house yet. I got one quote so far:

York TM9V $3650
York 13 SEER YCD $3395

Is that reasonable for the GTA? Any other recommended companies I could contact?

When I purchase a furnace will it include all the components I need for my HVAC system? I keep hearing about Coils or heat pumps, is that a separate item or part of the furnace?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
perfectgravity wrote: I have an ecobee thermostat that can do 2 stage heating so I was thinking of getting at least a 2 stage furnace.
Make sure you have a 5th wire to the Ecobee otherwise it will not be able to control the 2 stage furnace. As I discovered, I didn't have a common wire to my thermostat. I had to let the furnace control the 2 stage heating, and on my furnace that was achieved by running on stage 1 for 7 minutes, then it would kick into stage 2 for the rest of the heating cycle. This was pretty useless. I might have just bought a single stage furnace.

Once I ran my own common wire from the furnace to the Ecobee, I was able to let it control stage 1 / stage 2 using it's algorithms. The benefit is that my furnace now runs on stage 1 85% - 90% of the time, even at -30C temps and I get a much more comfortable house with little cold spots.

Now I need a 2 stage air conditioner!
Aug 14, 2006
215 posts
15 upvotes
dpw198 wrote: Make sure you have a 5th wire to the Ecobee otherwise it will not be able to control the 2 stage furnace. As I discovered, I didn't have a common wire to my thermostat. I had to let the furnace control the 2 stage heating, and on my furnace that was achieved by running on stage 1 for 7 minutes, then it would kick into stage 2 for the rest of the heating cycle. This was pretty useless. I might have just bought a single stage furnace.

Once I ran my own common wire from the furnace to the Ecobee, I was able to let it control stage 1 / stage 2 using it's algorithms. The benefit is that my furnace now runs on stage 1 85% - 90% of the time, even at -30C temps and I get a much more comfortable house with little cold spots.

Now I need a 2 stage air conditioner!
Okay so getting the W1 W2 wires is not enough? I need a C wire aswell? I will ask the installer thanks

I have the normal ecobee 3 BTW, not the lite
Jun 23, 2019
662 posts
523 upvotes
perfectgravity wrote: Hi,
I'm jumping in on this thread.

I purchased my first home and it has a 23-year-old furnace/AC that I would like replaced. I have an ecobee thermostat that can do 2 stage heating so I was thinking of getting at least a 2 stage furnace. The upgraded heat modulation furnaces seem overkill, is there a reason to get one instead of a 2 stage?

I have been trying to get quotes, but most places want to come in and I can't do that yet as I have not closed on the house yet. I got one quote so far:

York TM9V $3650
York 13 SEER YCD $3395

Is that reasonable for the GTA? Any other recommended companies I could contact?

When I purchase a furnace will it include all the components I need for my HVAC system? I keep hearing about Coils or heat pumps, is that a separate item or part of the furnace?

Thanks
The price is high, and I haven't heard anything good about York. Try contacting Craig at fourseasonheating for a quote on an Armstrong Air furnace instead. Armstrong is owned by Lennox and very similar. That York furnace is usually around $3000-$3200 installed.
Jun 15, 2016
385 posts
242 upvotes
I'm getting quoted $7000 all in for both AC & Furnace. 2.5 TON AC - 2000-2200 SQFT HOME.

It's the same price & warranty with Lenox & Carrier. (Im going with Mid tier for both)

Which would you choose. Carrier or Lennox?

Is one easier then the other to get parts for?
Is one easier then the other to get repairs done to it?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Mikenello wrote: I'm getting quoted $7000 all in for both AC & Furnace. 2.5 TON AC - 2000-2200 SQFT HOME.

It's the same price & warranty with Lenox & Carrier. (Im going with Mid tier for both)

Which would you choose. Carrier or Lennox?

Is one easier then the other to get parts for?
Is one easier then the other to get repairs done to it?
Lennox will run you another $100 a year for inspection in order to maintain the warranty. Not sure if it’s $100 for both or it’s $100 each.
Last edited by dpw198 on Jul 19th, 2019 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 22, 2014
763 posts
577 upvotes
My AC was buzzing every 30 seconds and the fan was working. It was actually cooling down the house. Now it trips the breaker immediately.
Is this a dead compressor issue?
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
kirkhammett wrote: My AC was buzzing every 30 seconds and the fan was working. It was actually cooling down the house. Now it trips the breaker immediately.
Is this a dead compressor issue?
Compressor tripping on internals , cools down tries to start again , cycle repeats then will work here and there.

Need a tech , capacitor no good or compressor on its way out.
Jun 15, 2016
385 posts
242 upvotes
My HVAC contractor sent me to a company that provides Energy Audits.

It cost around $500 for the Energy Audit, they come prior to the installation of the furnace, inspect, and then will return after the job is complete.

I then qualify for an Enbridge rebate of around $1400. Is this normal procedure?

I want to make sure im not being misled.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2011
1530 posts
963 upvotes
GTA
Mikenello wrote: My HVAC contractor sent me to a company that provides Energy Audits.

It cost around $500 for the Energy Audit, they come prior to the installation of the furnace, inspect, and then will return after the job is complete.

I then qualify for an Enbridge rebate of around $1400. Is this normal procedure?

I want to make sure im not being misled.
Here are the details - https://www.uniongas.com/residential/sa ... ebate/ngop

I didn't go this route when I replaced my furnace as I was only doing one item and wasn't ready to do a second item.

The conditions are quite stringent as it depends on the type of furnace you are upgrading and a portion of the rebate includes a reimbursement of the fee you pay to perform the energy audit.
Jul 18, 2019
118 posts
156 upvotes
Hi,

Could anyone provide advice regarding these quotes I received for furnace + AC + water tank?

The first one would be around 11.5k (after costco rebates) for
- Lennox furnace -ML296V - variable-speed
- Lennox AC - ELI6XC1 - single stage
- Reem = 50 gallon water tank

The second one would be around 9.5k for
- Keeprite furnace -- 60,000 btu Furnace with 2 stage gas and DC fan motor.
- Keeprite AC - 1.5 ton 13 seer
- Bradford White water tank - 50 gallon power vent hood

So, it seems that I am paying a bit more (2k) for slightly better products (variable speed furnace and 16 seer AC).

A further complication is that Lennox comes with mandatory yearly maintenance (which would cost $240 a year, but extends the warranty to 12 years).

I am more inclined to go with the Lennox, but I am wondering if I am overpaying (specially due to the mandatory maintenance).

I appreciate any advice!
Mar 25, 2002
698 posts
132 upvotes
Thinking of going with a combi boiler, anyone have any advice on a brand?

I was hoping to get one with a small internal storage but I only see these in Europe... Anyone know of any in Canada?

I should mention I'm doing radiant infloor heating as well with the combi boiler.
Feb 28, 2018
186 posts
125 upvotes
Waterloo region
lilmikey wrote: Compressor tripping on internals , cools down tries to start again , cycle repeats then will work here and there.

Need a tech , capacitor no good or compressor on its way out.

A hard start kit might help...
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2006
3149 posts
1952 upvotes
GTA
lucano wrote: Hi,

Could anyone provide advice regarding these quotes I received for furnace + AC + water tank?

The first one would be around 11.5k (after costco rebates) for
- Lennox furnace -ML296V - variable-speed
- Lennox AC - ELI6XC1 - single stage
- Reem = 50 gallon water tank

The second one would be around 9.5k for
- Keeprite furnace -- 60,000 btu Furnace with 2 stage gas and DC fan motor.
- Keeprite AC - 1.5 ton 13 seer
- Bradford White water tank - 50 gallon power vent hood

So, it seems that I am paying a bit more (2k) for slightly better products (variable speed furnace and 16 seer AC).

A further complication is that Lennox comes with mandatory yearly maintenance (which would cost $240 a year, but extends the warranty to 12 years).

I am more inclined to go with the Lennox, but I am wondering if I am overpaying (specially due to the mandatory maintenance).

I appreciate any advice!
I'd go with the keeprite , put in a 2 ton instead of 1.5
Note if that DC motor fails they ain't cheap
zeroburn wrote: Thinking of going with a combi boiler, anyone have any advice on a brand?

I was hoping to get one with a small internal storage but I only see these in Europe... Anyone know of any in Canada?

I should mention I'm doing radiant infloor heating as well with the combi boiler.
I see navian around a lot and people I know that have them luv them, I'd check into those.
tralexus1 wrote:
A hard start kit might help...
It may but when ya put those in it's still a Band-Aid fix , at least for me .
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1095 posts
623 upvotes
I'd appreciate it if someone could let me know if I can use a Nest or Ecobee with this kind of wiring system. It's a condo fan coil system with 3 stage fan.
IMG_20190720_144725.jpg

Thread Information

There are currently 3 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 3 guests)